Go Back   GTAGaming Forums > Grand Theft Auto Mods > Grand Theft Auto IV Mods
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Old 12-06-2008   #1
OlaHaldor
Newbie Member

OlaHaldor is an unknown quantity at this point
Idea for a "real life driving jobs" mod

I've been reading on some other forums for simulators (both driving and flight sims) - and I agree with them - I really miss to grab a taxi and drive around, taking fares and earn some money.

So I've been thinking of this mod, if it one day will be possible to create advanced ones like this, like a "real life driving jobs"-mod. Read on, if you're interested..

The reason for doing this instead of playing those crappy games (18 wheels of steel etc) is
1. The graphics are AWESOME!!!
2. It's shorter distances than driving all across the US/Europe, much more to see, much more life and details
3. The physics are so totally awesome
4. There are SO many possibilities with different kind of cars and places to go

Now, for the ideas...
For starters - you should have some blips on the map, showing centrals for either taxi, bus, ambulance, fire station, or freight depots. When you're there, grab a vehicle of that type, and you will receive a text message with info of what's going on and what to do.

TAXI
This one is pretty straight forward. A blip on the radar like those "random guy" missions would suffice. Maybe several blips on the screen at the time to pick which one to get. Some might be further away from your current location after your current customer has paid and exit your taxi, but might pay more?

BUS
Here it would be cool to do something different.. You're on a route! Would in fact work much as those crazy Bruce-races. You got a circuit and have to drive it 2-3 laps for instance. After that is complete, a blip on the radar will show you directions to the next circuit, and this time you might have to run it either more or less times, depending on its length. For each person going on board, you will earn x quantity of $$$ when they successfully get off the bus, just to make sure you don't cheat and just pick up a load of people and get off the bus yourself..

FREIGHT VEHICLES
This one is the more interesting piece. You get over to the freight depot (there should be several, hosting different types of vehicles and goods to deliver). What I have in mind for now is

- Oil/gas tanker depot. Would need a truck and a trailer. Transport oil/gas from the depot or docks to gas stations and the airport, and maybe other places too?

- Express goods delivery car central. Deliver small goods between places with a small car (with some kind of a SUV or van?). Delivering donuts to the LCPD offices. Deliver catering for a film crew on location for the latest R*SC film or the latest big box office hit to the largest cinema in LC?

- Goods central for larger goods. Transport things from A to B with the Mule. For instance, transporting a bunch of meat for hamburgers to a a chain serving fast food. Or doing some dirty mafia stuff like delivering weapons for the gun shops. Maybe deliver spray paint equipment for the repaint shops. Computers for the Internet Cafè. Props for the theater and cabaret. New bowling equipment from a manufacturer to the bowling alleys? There's LOADS of possibilities!! And for larger missions, I think one should have to take several trips from A to B to deliver all the needed goods.

AMBULANCE
Straight forward.. An accident, shooting, a suicidal someone etc. - you get a blip on the radar - go there asap and pick him/her up, and go to the nearest hospital or clinic. I think it would be better to have several options on where to go instead of just one "HQ hospital" like I've seen in earlier GTA games, though, these might pay a little less than the "HQ hospital" ?

FIRE TRUCKS
Also pretty straight forward. Grab a fire truck, and put out fires, either car accidents, garbage in alleys or maybe a house on fire?

I'd like to hear from you guys. What do you think? Would this be cool or what? The best part would be to actually be able to spend the money earned in this mod for the actual game and story..

Picking up supplies for the car wash..

Approaching the supplies in the back of the car wash.

Delivering... There should be a progress bar across the screen so I would unload the goods properly. Then there should be like a "2/5 stages completed" and earn a little money for completing the stage as a little bonus, if your vehicle didn't get damaged on the way. And when every stage is complete, the full payment would be given to you.

Additional ideas
- Money transport service, from one bank to another - might there be a robbery attempt around the next corner?

- Presidential/VIP motorcade: Bring the VIP safely from A to B. Assassinations highly possible! Make a choice - which one of the three routes to go.

- Ice cream car - earn a couple of $$$ for each sold cone of ice cream. Benefit more from popular areas with more pedestrians.

edit: fixed the formatting and added images. Added a few more ideas as well.

Last edited by OlaHaldor; 12-06-2008 at 03:23 PM..
OlaHaldor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2008   #2
rappo
Professional Dumbass

rappo is a God.rappo is a God.rappo is a God.rappo is a God.rappo is a God.rappo is a God.rappo is a God.rappo is a God.rappo is a God.rappo is a God.rappo is a God.
Seconded! These types of side missions were available in some past GTA games as vigilante missions - I was a bit sad to see that they were removed with GTA IV. It might be a while before a mod of this nature could be made, but it's definitely a good idea.
Old 12-06-2008   #3
OlaHaldor
Newbie Member

I don't think it would have to be so detailed that you have to carry boxes and such - just drive into the docking area - load or unload the goods and drive. Loading and unloading should be intuitive to understand, with a loading bar or something.

Last edited by OlaHaldor; 12-06-2008 at 03:37 PM..
Old 12-12-2008   #4
Chipstik
Newbie Member

Chipstik is an unknown quantity at this point
This would be a good idea, I miss those old missions from previous games..

Chipstik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2008   #5
flint.44
Fuhgeddaboudit!

flint.44 is just really niceflint.44 is just really niceflint.44 is just really niceflint.44 is just really niceflint.44 is just really niceflint.44 is just really niceflint.44 is just really niceflint.44 is just really niceflint.44 is just really niceflint.44 is just really niceflint.44 is just really nice
I could definitely go for some trucking (better than the ones in GTA SA), that would be great.
Old 12-12-2008   #6
lillb
Casual User

lillb has a brilliant futurelillb has a brilliant futurelillb has a brilliant futurelillb has a brilliant futurelillb has a brilliant futurelillb has a brilliant futurelillb has a brilliant futurelillb has a brilliant futurelillb has a brilliant futurelillb has a brilliant futurelillb has a brilliant future
yea i agree with just about all your ideas those missions were fun time-wasters in past GTAs
Old 12-13-2008   #7
OlaHaldor
Newbie Member

I've been driving for hours the last few days, and found a bunch of new vehicles I didn't even notice on the XBOX360, that would give this mod more variation to what kind of cars each type of transport company use.

I'm thinking big now.. Multiplayer? 30 minutes to earn the most cash, doing whatever kind of jobs they want? Imagine driving around as usual, maybe with some gas on a trailer, then some scumbag crashes into your car and there's an explosion, and you gotta get a new car - meanwhile, this means a new mission for the players playing as firefighters.
Old 12-13-2008   #8
rappo
Professional Dumbass

rappo is a God.rappo is a God.rappo is a God.rappo is a God.rappo is a God.rappo is a God.rappo is a God.rappo is a God.rappo is a God.rappo is a God.rappo is a God.
interesting idea there OlaHaldor... i never thought of modding custom multiplayer games. i wonder if that would at all affect rockstar's ranking systems would be pretty cool if it was allowed though.
Old 12-16-2008   #9
OlaHaldor
Newbie Member

And while we're at it - does anyone remember SimCopter?
Get over to the tourist helicopters, get in and fly -
- a blip on your radar would tell you where to go
- go there, and pick up 1-3 persons (the more people, the more $$$ after successful delivery)
- depending on how fast you get there, you might get some bonus money
- a new blip appears on the radar - this is their destination
- fly there asap
* the faster you get to their destination, the more will they pay
* the less damage you do on your chopper and surroundings, the more bonus money you get

Different kind of missions
- bring a doctor to an accident to save lives
- bring patients back from accident asap (timer?...) to a hospital
- pursuit criminals for the police - the police cars will follow your lead, and eventually apprehend the suspect
- fly VIP persons from their work, hotel, etc. to their villa with helipad in the back yard
- help the stars of "Americas next hooker" get a nice and glamorous entrance at the live TV-show hosted by David Letterman at Star Junction by doing a low pass and eventually land safely just outside of the studio with live audience in the streets..

The list can go on and on..
Old 12-26-2008   #10
De7erminist
http://7thzone.net

De7erminist has a spectacular aura aboutDe7erminist has a spectacular aura aboutDe7erminist has a spectacular aura aboutDe7erminist has a spectacular aura aboutDe7erminist has a spectacular aura aboutDe7erminist has a spectacular aura aboutDe7erminist has a spectacular aura aboutDe7erminist has a spectacular aura aboutDe7erminist has a spectacular aura aboutDe7erminist has a spectacular aura aboutDe7erminist has a spectacular aura about
Quote:
Originally Posted by OlaHaldor View Post
And while we're at it - does anyone remember SimCopter?
Get over to the tourist helicopters, get in and fly -
- a blip on your radar would tell you where to go
- go there, and pick up 1-3 persons (the more people, the more $$$ after successful delivery)
- depending on how fast you get there, you might get some bonus money
- a new blip appears on the radar - this is their destination
- fly there asap
* the faster you get to their destination, the more will they pay
* the less damage you do on your chopper and surroundings, the more bonus money you get

Different kind of missions
- bring a doctor to an accident to save lives
- bring patients back from accident asap (timer?...) to a hospital
- pursuit criminals for the police - the police cars will follow your lead, and eventually apprehend the suspect
- fly VIP persons from their work, hotel, etc. to their villa with helipad in the back yard
- help the stars of "Americas next hooker" get a nice and glamorous entrance at the live TV-show hosted by David Letterman at Star Junction by doing a low pass and eventually land safely just outside of the studio with live audience in the streets..

The list can go on and on..
Go play Saints Row 2, or wait till Chinatown Wars comes out.
De7erminist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2008   #11
OlaHaldor
Newbie Member

Hell no! I wanna play GTA IV !
Old 01-12-2009   #12
Ænemy
Digital/Concept Artist

Ænemy will become famous soon enoughÆnemy will become famous soon enoughÆnemy will become famous soon enoughÆnemy will become famous soon enoughÆnemy will become famous soon enoughÆnemy will become famous soon enoughÆnemy will become famous soon enoughÆnemy will become famous soon enoughÆnemy will become famous soon enough
Sounds tight.

I would like the taxi driving back. That was definitely noticed by myself the first time I played. Made me sad.
Ænemy is offline   Reply With Quote