Go Back   GTAGaming Forums > Grand Theft Auto Mods > Grand Theft Auto IV Mods
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Old 10-16-2011   #1
lukeman3000
Newbie Member

lukeman3000 is an unknown quantity at this point
New to GTA IV Modding -- Looking for Help!

I am completely new to GTA IV modding, and I must say that it's a little overwhelming coming into the scene this late.

I'm just looking for a quick and dirty guide on GTA IV modding at this current point in time. For example:

1. What do I need (and need to know) to get started?

2. What mods can or can't I use with the most current version?

3. I have GTA IV and EFLC (not latd and tbogt as DLC), and they are both currently patched to 1070 and 1120, respectively.-- What does that mean to me and how does it affect my modding experience?

There are probably a lot of questions that I don't even know to ask, but I'm hoping that someone will be able to give me a good briefing on the whole thing. I'm sure a lot as changed since GTA IV modding started, and it'd be nice to read a more current tutorial on how to get started with GTA IV modding with respect to whatever changes have occurred over the past few years, or even months. I've read a lot of older threads and I think I know something, and then I'll read something else that says it's different now that a newer patch has been released.

As far as mods that interest me, I'm really interested in graphically enhancing GTA IV as much as possible. As I am on the most recent patched versions, what are my options? I have seen some stuff on youtube about enb series and icenhancer.. I have no idea what the differences are or really what they do, but it looks like they make the game look great. But it's my understanding that they don't work with the current gta IV version? Should I just wait until they do? I'd rather not down-grade..

Also, what about texture packs? I don't even know what all is out there, especially as it relates to the currently patched versions of GTA IV and EFLC. What are THE texture packs to get?

So to wrap it up..

- What do I need to know about GTA IV modding as a newcomer?
- I have GTA IV and EFLC, and they are currently patched to the most recent versions. How does this affect my modding experience?
- What are the different graphic enhancements mods available, the pros/cons of each, and are any of them compatible with the current patches? If not, are they expected to be any time soon?
- What texture packs should I get? I want to make GTA IV look like I've seen it in some of those youtube videos

And anything else you can think of I should know.. Thanks!
lukeman3000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2011   #2
AngryAmoeba
Novice Modder

AngryAmoeba is on a distinguished roadAngryAmoeba is on a distinguished roadAngryAmoeba is on a distinguished road
Quote:
As far as mods that interest me, I'm really interested in graphically enhancing GTA IV as much as possible. As I am on the most recent patched versions, what are my options? I have seen some stuff on youtube about enb series and icenhancer.. I have no idea what the differences are or really what they do, but it looks like they make the game look great. But it's my understanding that they don't work with the current gta IV version? Should I just wait until they do? I'd rather not down-grade..
ENB Series and Icenhancer are pretty much the only graphics mods I know anything about.

Basically, ENB Series improves the lighting, reflections, shadows, clouds, etc. and also adds new graphics features like supersampling, soft particles, and detail maps. A few features, such as skylighting, are disabled if you have 1.0.6.0 or 1.0.7.0, which is why I still use 1.0.4.0, but other features will still work with the newer patches.

Every new patch kept breaking ENB Series, so the creator eventually got sick of it and abandoned GTA IV. A while later, some members of the community, including icelaglace, tweaked ENB and added some more features to it, such as FXAA and lens flares. They called this new version Icenhancer. (I personally prefer the look of ENB.)

Because Icenhancer is based on ENB, it too might not be 100% compatible with the latest patch.

Quote:
Also, what about texture packs? I don't even know what all is out there, especially as it relates to the currently patched versions of GTA IV and EFLC. What are THE texture packs to get?
The only texture packs I'm currently using are Millennia's weapon retextures and some of the retextures in this thread.
Deadly Wrecks car wrecks hurt, seatbelt helps
Weapon Weight weapons and ammo slow you down
Weapon Storage store weapons & ammo in safehouses
Real Reload more realistic reload model for guns
Hide Radar hide the radar & health bars for HUD-free gameplay

My specs:
Q6600 @ 3.0GHz || 4GB DDR3 1333 RAM || GeForce GTX 570 1.25GB
24" LCD @ 1920x1200 || Windows 7 Professional x64 || GTA4 v1.0.4.0

Last edited by AngryAmoeba; 10-19-2011 at 09:47 PM..
AngryAmoeba is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2011   #3
deltaz38
Newbie Member

deltaz38 is an unknown quantity at this point
I'm gonna say he's after the same deal i am... I want to mod my game so I can get cars and that kind of stuff. But I don't understand how to do it :S The tutorial page is broken, the video doesn't work.. So if someone could write out a tutorial on how to mod my game so I can get custom cars and stuff that would be amazing Or direct me to a tutorial or something already done. That'd be great.
deltaz38 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2011   #4
AngryAmoeba
Novice Modder

AngryAmoeba is on a distinguished roadAngryAmoeba is on a distinguished roadAngryAmoeba is on a distinguished road
I've never tried any car mods, but I would hope that most of them come with their own installation instructions.

You'll most likely be using the OpenIV tool to replace the default cars with your new ones.
Deadly Wrecks car wrecks hurt, seatbelt helps
Weapon Weight weapons and ammo slow you down
Weapon Storage store weapons & ammo in safehouses
Real Reload more realistic reload model for guns
Hide Radar hide the radar & health bars for HUD-free gameplay

My specs:
Q6600 @ 3.0GHz || 4GB DDR3 1333 RAM || GeForce GTX 570 1.25GB
24" LCD @ 1920x1200 || Windows 7 Professional x64 || GTA4 v1.0.4.0
AngryAmoeba is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2011   #5
deltaz38
Newbie Member

deltaz38 is an unknown quantity at this point
can someone explain how i get cars into the game with openIV? I figured out how to open the file where the cars are, but is there certain files i need to get to make the cars work? when i put them into the folders using OpenIV it gives me errors when i try to view the car files

Oh never mind i figured it out. the car i was trying to use just was being dificult. i got a different one and it worked.. cool

Last edited by deltaz38; 10-21-2011 at 11:53 PM..
deltaz38 is offline   Reply With Quote