Old 01-03-2009   #1
dgn8

dgn8 is an unknown quantity at this point
Dual Layer

To install GTA IV I think you need dual layer...

What dual layer means???
What's the different between dual/single layer???
How can I see which of the above I have on my PC???
dgn8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2009   #2
Xan
█▄▄█▄▄█ █▬█ █

Xan has a reputation beyond reputeXan has a reputation beyond reputeXan has a reputation beyond reputeXan has a reputation beyond reputeXan has a reputation beyond reputeXan has a reputation beyond reputeXan has a reputation beyond reputeXan has a reputation beyond reputeXan has a reputation beyond reputeXan has a reputation beyond reputeXan has a reputation beyond repute
Dual Layer simply means that a DVD is comprised of 2 separate layers which means more space available for writing on.

8.5>4.7GB

-

Any normal DVD drive should be able to read Dual Layer discs.
Old 01-03-2009   #3
Zidane

Zidane has a reputation beyond reputeZidane has a reputation beyond reputeZidane has a reputation beyond reputeZidane has a reputation beyond reputeZidane has a reputation beyond reputeZidane has a reputation beyond reputeZidane has a reputation beyond reputeZidane has a reputation beyond reputeZidane has a reputation beyond reputeZidane has a reputation beyond reputeZidane has a reputation beyond repute
Mine doesn't. I had to buy a new drive just to install the game.
Old 01-03-2009   #4
Xan
█▄▄█▄▄█ █▬█ █

Xan has a reputation beyond reputeXan has a reputation beyond reputeXan has a reputation beyond reputeXan has a reputation beyond reputeXan has a reputation beyond reputeXan has a reputation beyond reputeXan has a reputation beyond reputeXan has a reputation beyond reputeXan has a reputation beyond reputeXan has a reputation beyond reputeXan has a reputation beyond repute
Yeah, that sounded a bit weird.

I meant any DVD player that is at least a year or 2 old should have the ability to play it. Still the optimal thing for Rockstar to do would be to ship the game on 2x Single Layer DVD's. Would cost alot more to ship but keep alot more people happy in the end.
Old 01-03-2009   #5
dgn8

How can I see which of the above I have on my PC???
Old 01-03-2009   #6
Xan
█▄▄█▄▄█ █▬█ █

Well, if you know the exact model of your DVD drive you can just do a google search and see if it's compatible with Dual Layer drives.

Other method is just using a Dual Layer disc with the drive and see if you can write/read it.

Third method I'll give you a program to check for that in a few minutes or so if nobody here will beat me to it.

Update:

http://www.wuala.com/xanmalone/Temp/InfoTool.zip

1. Download it
2. Unzip it with a program like WinZip / Winrar / 7Zip etc
3. Open InfoTool.exe
4. Click SkipTest in your language (The Second Option, so you don't waste time doing a speed test)
5. Wait for the test to finish
6. Once your data is displayed you can see what your drive support and doesn't.
7. Look down the DVD list and check if the DL R and +DL R under Read have a green icon for it.

Last edited by Xan; 01-03-2009 at 02:11 PM..
Xan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2009   #7
dgn8

Thnx for the quick answers.
If I have single layer is there any chance of having the problem that is described in the thread ''problems in installation''?
Old 01-03-2009   #8
Xan
█▄▄█▄▄█ █▬█ █

As far as i can tell if your DVD drive doesn't support dual layer discs, you can't even read all the data on it.

So pretty much: No Dual Layer support, no installation possible.
Old 01-03-2009   #9
Ash_735

Ash_735 has a reputation beyond reputeAsh_735 has a reputation beyond reputeAsh_735 has a reputation beyond reputeAsh_735 has a reputation beyond reputeAsh_735 has a reputation beyond reputeAsh_735 has a reputation beyond reputeAsh_735 has a reputation beyond reputeAsh_735 has a reputation beyond reputeAsh_735 has a reputation beyond reputeAsh_735 has a reputation beyond reputeAsh_735 has a reputation beyond repute
I doubt it though, DVD Drives in computers for at least a few years are DL-Compatable, they have to be, can you watch a DVD Film on your computer? If so then it can read DL Discs, I'll be honest, I've never heard of a DVD Drive that only reads Single Layers, it sounds odd and it shouldn't exist on modern computers. Whta you might be getting confused with however, is if your drive can WRITE DVD-R/DL, a lot of drives only write single layers with only ones in the past year or so letting you write Dual Layers.

tl;dr: If you have a DVD Drive, then it SHOULD read both layers, otherwise it's faulty.
Ash_735 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2009   #10
dgn8

OK thnx!
I asked because there was a problem in the installation in a friend's PC but I suppose that THIS is not the thing that caused it!