Go Back   GTAGaming Forums > Grand Theft Auto > Grand Theft Auto IV
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Old 01-03-2009   #1
Xargan
Newbie Member

Xargan is an unknown quantity at this point
GTA IV Savegame reinstall Windows

Hey everyone!

In GTA IV i'm now around 30% now. But I want to reinstall Windows XP. Before I take the risk for losing all my made progress I wanted to ask here first. So when I reinstall Windows can I still use my 30% savefile? I guess I have an online account, instead of offline. And if it's possible which files do I have to replace at the reinstalled Windows and where can I find them?

Another question about the same....
If I install the game on my other computer, with same serial number and replace the savefiles and login on my own accounts can I play the savegame in that case?

// Thanks in Advance!!

// Greetings,
// Xargan
Xargan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2009   #2
GamerX5500

GamerX5500 is on a distinguished roadGamerX5500 is on a distinguished roadGamerX5500 is on a distinguished roadGamerX5500 is on a distinguished roadGamerX5500 is on a distinguished road
Alright. Everything should go well after your re-install. Before re-installing XP, backup your save files (either on a CD, DVD, Flash Drive, or on the Internet — I prefer the Internet or a Flash Drive).

To run the savefiles on another computer, you need to use the XLiveWrapper on that computer (http://www.gtagaming.com/downloads/gta-iv/tools/1882). You can still play Multiplayer, etc. You can also download 100% savegames and use those .

To create a backup of your GTA IV savegame files, navigate to:

C:\Documents and Settings\[Your Username on your Computer is in Here. Open it.]\Local Settings\Application Data\Rockstar Games\GTA IV\savegames . Once you're in that folder, create a zip file of user_a bunch of numbers and letters .

Now, to backup via the Internet, go to either MediaFire.com or SendSpace.com. Upload your zip file containing your savefiles. Then, using your handy dandy notebook and a pen or pencil, write down the download link for after you re-install Windows XP. Or, you can use a Flash Drive and put your zip file on there.

Also, after re-installing Windows XP, you need to re-install various drivers, such include:

Sound Card
Video Card
Internet Card
Mouse
Keyboard

Now, if you are planning to use savegame files on another computer, you just replace the files in the folder user_4a654staSTUFF in C:\Documents and Settings\YOUR NAME\Local Settings\Application Data\Rockstar Games\GTA IV\savegames with the ones in your zip file.

Good luck!
GamerX5500 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2009   #3
Xargan
Newbie Member

Thanks man! But to use the savefiles on another computer I need to use XLive Wrapper. Not really a problem... But I just red I can't play multiplayer then anymore, because to prevent cheating. You say it's still possible but in the description I read:
Quote:
• Multiplayer functionality of GTA IV is now forcefully disabled, to prevent usage of my wrapper to cheat in multiplayer. Yeah, sorry, I’m not going to encourage it.
Is there any possibility to play it on another computer? I can use the same account and serial on it, so that wont give any problems...

But if I understand well, I can still play my savegame after reinstall and play multiplayer? If I save them right.

Last edited by Xargan; 01-04-2009 at 09:03 AM..
Old 01-04-2009   #4
thenotsogoodtrickster
late on the feels

thenotsogoodtrickster is a splendid one to beholdthenotsogoodtrickster is a splendid one to beholdthenotsogoodtrickster is a splendid one to beholdthenotsogoodtrickster is a splendid one to beholdthenotsogoodtrickster is a splendid one to beholdthenotsogoodtrickster is a splendid one to beholdthenotsogoodtrickster is a splendid one to beholdthenotsogoodtrickster is a splendid one to beholdthenotsogoodtrickster is a splendid one to beholdthenotsogoodtrickster is a splendid one to beholdthenotsogoodtrickster is a splendid one to behold
So are you only reinstalling to try and prevent your multiplayer ban or something?
thenotsogoodtrickster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2009   #5
Xan
█▄▄█▄▄█ █▬█ █

Xan has a reputation beyond reputeXan has a reputation beyond reputeXan has a reputation beyond reputeXan has a reputation beyond reputeXan has a reputation beyond reputeXan has a reputation beyond reputeXan has a reputation beyond reputeXan has a reputation beyond reputeXan has a reputation beyond reputeXan has a reputation beyond reputeXan has a reputation beyond repute
He's going to reinstall Windows, but if he does that without backing up his Savegame he's going to lose game progress.

Think of it like PS3, you can get mods for some games, but trading savegames is basically cheating
Old 01-04-2009   #6
Xargan
Newbie Member

The problem isn't backing up my savegame. ^^ It's just I want to be sure if I can do reinstall my Windows save without losing all of my progress and still be able to play multiplayer. I also want to play the savegame on my other computer. Still on same account and serial.

I don't have any ban on mulitiplayer. I just want to be able to play multiplayer on both computers and also use my 'own' savegame on both computers. ^^
Old 01-04-2009   #7
GamerX5500

GamerX5500 is on a distinguished roadGamerX5500 is on a distinguished roadGamerX5500 is on a distinguished roadGamerX5500 is on a distinguished roadGamerX5500 is on a distinguished road
Why do you need to reinstall Windows XP? If it involves a virus/worm, we can help you out.
Old 01-04-2009   #8
Xargan
Newbie Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by GamerX5500 View Post
Why do you need to reinstall Windows XP? If it involves a virus/worm, we can help you out.
Well it isn't a complete new install... It's just putting a ghost back. It's just I want a fresh XP. But I just want my savefiles have safe so I can use them after? But still how can I get my own savefiles on other computer? You say Xlive Wrapper works, but the author says I can't play multiyplayer then anymore. So how I can do that?

I know I maybe sound bore, but I just want to be sure.
Old 01-04-2009   #9
GamerX5500

Quote:
Originally Posted by Xargan View Post
Well it isn't a complete new install... It's just putting a ghost back. It's just I want a fresh XP. But I just want my savefiles have safe so I can use them after? But still how can I get my own savefiles on other computer? You say Xlive Wrapper works, but the author says I can't play multiyplayer then anymore. So how I can do that?

I know I maybe sound bore, but I just want to be sure.
Find an older version of the XLive Wrapper. I downloaded it from his website I think. I'll try to fetch up the site.

http://blog.gib.me/2008/12/20/hackin...o-iv-part-iii/

Looks like he updated with the newer version. I don't know if I can help you from there, sorry.

Also, I don't use the XLiveWrapper to cheat. I just used it to use a savegame.
Old 01-05-2009   #10
Xargan
Newbie Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by GamerX5500 View Post
Find an older version of the XLive Wrapper. I downloaded it from his website I think. I'll try to fetch up the site.

http://blog.gib.me/2008/12/20/hackin...o-iv-part-iii/

Looks like he updated with the newer version. I don't know if I can help you from there, sorry.

Also, I don't use the XLiveWrapper to cheat. I just used it to use a savegame.
I just want to use it for my savegame and still be abel to play multiplayer.

I don't want to cheat with it also... Only for savegame.
Old 01-08-2009   #11
Xargan
Newbie Member

Apologise for bumping...

Is there any Wrapper available which is only for savegames? So I can still multiplayer etc? ^^
Old 01-09-2009   #12
Xzibit
Newbie Member

Xzibit is an unknown quantity at this point
Hello ive red about your subject and I have a close related problem.

Ive reinstalled windows and I had GTA IV installed on another harddrive.
Now my GTA wont work. It says i should reinstall it.
"The application you are trying to launch no longer exists." Please reinstall

Is savegame located on you system harddrive or where the game is installed?

Ive reinstalled social club and game for windows.
Xzibit is offline   Reply With Quote