Go Back   GTAGaming Forums > Grand Theft Auto > Grand Theft Auto IV
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Old 12-30-2008   #31
De7erminist
http://7thzone.net

De7erminist has a spectacular aura aboutDe7erminist has a spectacular aura aboutDe7erminist has a spectacular aura aboutDe7erminist has a spectacular aura aboutDe7erminist has a spectacular aura aboutDe7erminist has a spectacular aura aboutDe7erminist has a spectacular aura aboutDe7erminist has a spectacular aura aboutDe7erminist has a spectacular aura aboutDe7erminist has a spectacular aura aboutDe7erminist has a spectacular aura about
Ok, guys. I'm being really honest here. I really loved GTA IV. I have played GTA IV so much, I've played through the story 3.5 times and 100% twice, and have completed the Multiplayer modes twice playing every variation possible, and it was fun. I haven't even checked out the swingset of death glitch, nor watched all the TV shows, nor checked out the game's internet. There's still a bunch to do in this game, for me, although I'm sure I've already played the game for over 500 hours.

Saints Row 2?! I haven't even gotten the "Addicted To Tha Row" achievement, which means I haven't even played it for 50 hours. More like 15 hours I think. The game crashed on my Xbox 360 more times than Grand Theft Auto IV or Crysis Warhead crashes on my crappy PC (dual-core, Nvidia Geforce 8600GT 256MB card). And the activities were fun till Level 3, after that it became repetitive. The helicopter contols were so bad it made Heli Assault the worst mini-game ever. Driving and shooting controls are clunky and something I won't ever want to get used to if I still want to play games like Halo, GTA or Gears of War, or Midnight Club - in fact, you won't even want to get used to the controls if you play any shooting/driving game. The storyline was weak, customization got boring sooner than it takes me to take out the disc and throw it in the bin, and nobody plays Multiplayer... in fact, it was like GTA LCS ported to the Xbox 360, stripped of it's atmosphere, music, characters, storyline and slammed in some mainstream music, gimmicky controls, different naming, messy city, and still keeping the activities - a whole load of bull - yea, and it ripped off the customization from Oblivion. In other words, it was like the old-school GTAs, ported to next-gen consoles and toned down so much it totally sucked, yet still felt kinda GTA-ish.

My point is, GTA IV is still greater than Saints Row 2 in any way possible... you must be lying or jerking of to Tera Patrick if you think Saints Row 2 is better than GTA IV.

And, P.S.: For those who think I'm lying as SR2 is my most recent played game on my GamerCard, it's not - it's just GTA IV PC not showing...
De7erminist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2008   #32
Jon P
Free your mind up

Jon P has much to be proud ofJon P has much to be proud ofJon P has much to be proud ofJon P has much to be proud ofJon P has much to be proud ofJon P has much to be proud ofJon P has much to be proud ofJon P has much to be proud ofJon P has much to be proud ofJon P has much to be proud ofJon P has much to be proud of
ITT:

We weren't talking about SR2
Old 12-30-2008   #33
Holster
Xbox Addict

Holster is a splendid one to beholdHolster is a splendid one to beholdHolster is a splendid one to beholdHolster is a splendid one to beholdHolster is a splendid one to beholdHolster is a splendid one to beholdHolster is a splendid one to beholdHolster is a splendid one to beholdHolster is a splendid one to beholdHolster is a splendid one to beholdHolster is a splendid one to behold
The game sucks imo, i'm gonna get the trophies on it then sell the fucker, any ideas on how much to put GTA IV Special Edition PS3 on ebay for?

Anyway, glad you got the game back from your mate.
Holster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2008   #34
Slim Trashman
Sanitation Division

Slim Trashman has a brilliant futureSlim Trashman has a brilliant futureSlim Trashman has a brilliant futureSlim Trashman has a brilliant futureSlim Trashman has a brilliant futureSlim Trashman has a brilliant futureSlim Trashman has a brilliant futureSlim Trashman has a brilliant futureSlim Trashman has a brilliant futureSlim Trashman has a brilliant futureSlim Trashman has a brilliant future
Quote:
Originally Posted by DY View Post
ITT:

We weren't talking about SR2
He was referencing the article's comparison SR2.

Honestly a lot of these comments on GTA IV are WAY too harsh. At the end of the day I don't believe anyone can make a better GTA clone, Saints Row 2 included. It fails in a lot of areas where GTA IV dominates. And before you think I'm biased, Saints Row 2 has some incredibly fun game play. Just being able to grab and throw people is a ton of fun. But that plus GTA IV's Euphoria physics and outstanding graphics, would be a shitload more fun-- you can look at it the other way around too.

@Holster, depends on the condition of everything. Do you plan on selling everything included with the special edition? The SHITTY art book, the SHITTY soundtrack CD, the SHITTY lockbox, the SHITTY duffel bag? (actually pardon my sarcasm on the last one-- the zippers on mine broke really easily). Is it all shitty enough to sell you think?

$40 - $50 for the game alone maybe, again condition dependent. Sorry I don't know the currency conversions.
Old 12-30-2008   #35
Ash_735

Ash_735 has a reputation beyond reputeAsh_735 has a reputation beyond reputeAsh_735 has a reputation beyond reputeAsh_735 has a reputation beyond reputeAsh_735 has a reputation beyond reputeAsh_735 has a reputation beyond reputeAsh_735 has a reputation beyond reputeAsh_735 has a reputation beyond reputeAsh_735 has a reputation beyond reputeAsh_735 has a reputation beyond reputeAsh_735 has a reputation beyond repute
Story wise I actually liked GTA IV a lot, even though it got to be a bit of a joke "I work for money, we are in debt" when the later mission were earning around $20,000 a pop! The one thing I hate about the story though is the start of it, the beginning is suppose to draw you in and make you look forward to playing the rest of the game, with GTA IV, it's the opposite, The Broker and Bohan mission are just long tutorials for features and to me, I didn't really start having fun in the story until Niko started working for Francis, Packie, etc. I dread having to restart the game because I find the early missions just soo boring and feel like a chore but when the game gets started, I can actually sit there and play through the storyline, I like near enough all of Phil's missions, "To Live and Die in Alderney" is probs my fave mission in the game.
Ash_735 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2008   #36
Slim Trashman
Sanitation Division

Slim Trashman has a brilliant futureSlim Trashman has a brilliant futureSlim Trashman has a brilliant futureSlim Trashman has a brilliant futureSlim Trashman has a brilliant futureSlim Trashman has a brilliant futureSlim Trashman has a brilliant futureSlim Trashman has a brilliant futureSlim Trashman has a brilliant futureSlim Trashman has a brilliant futureSlim Trashman has a brilliant future
Oh story wise Saints Row DEFINITELY CANNOT compare. You need a fixed, set character for a story, otherwise it feels like an unorganized mess (my opinion on Saints Row 2 storyline).

I never thought it was a joke though. I hear ya on the $20,000 thing but that was not from like small-time mission bosses, usually Mafia guys would have larger payouts. And Ash, hasn't EVERY GTA started out with "tutorial" styled missions? Sure the second time around it might be annoying, or for an experienced player of the series even the first time might be. Although I think Rockstar does a good job of applying these tutorials into the game.
Old 12-30-2008   #37
Ash_735

Ash_735 has a reputation beyond reputeAsh_735 has a reputation beyond reputeAsh_735 has a reputation beyond reputeAsh_735 has a reputation beyond reputeAsh_735 has a reputation beyond reputeAsh_735 has a reputation beyond reputeAsh_735 has a reputation beyond reputeAsh_735 has a reputation beyond reputeAsh_735 has a reputation beyond reputeAsh_735 has a reputation beyond reputeAsh_735 has a reputation beyond repute
Vice City and San Andreas did have those type of missions, but they were usually over and done by the second or third boss, in GTA IV, there was too many of them, covering Roman, Vlad, Faustin, Dimitri, Little Jacob, Brucie and the first part of Manny's Missions were all near enough Tutorials disguised as missions. Plus when you start the game again, unlike previous GTA Games, Niko can't actually do certain things unless he is told, for example, at the start of the game you can't whistle for a Cab at all, Niko just doesn't have that ability, you have to get all the way to working for Vlad before the game grants you the ability to whistle! I much prefered the LCS and VCS way of things in which it never really gave a tutorial, it just assumed the player has played a GTA game before and throws them straight into the action.
Old 12-30-2008   #38
Thundercracker

Thundercracker has a reputation beyond reputeThundercracker has a reputation beyond reputeThundercracker has a reputation beyond reputeThundercracker has a reputation beyond reputeThundercracker has a reputation beyond reputeThundercracker has a reputation beyond reputeThundercracker has a reputation beyond reputeThundercracker has a reputation beyond reputeThundercracker has a reputation beyond reputeThundercracker has a reputation beyond reputeThundercracker has a reputation beyond repute
In Vice City, all of the tutorials were simply boxes filled with text telling you how to do something the first time you encountered it in a new game. It was small, so you could easily ignore it.
Thundercracker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2008   #39
Slim Trashman
Sanitation Division

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ash_735 View Post
Vice City and San Andreas did have those type of missions, but they were usually over and done by the second or third boss, in GTA IV, there was too many of them, covering Roman, Vlad, Faustin, Dimitri, Little Jacob, Brucie and the first part of Manny's Missions were all near enough Tutorials disguised as missions. Plus when you start the game again, unlike previous GTA Games, Niko can't actually do certain things unless he is told, for example, at the start of the game you can't whistle for a Cab at all, Niko just doesn't have that ability, you have to get all the way to working for Vlad before the game grants you the ability to whistle! I much prefered the LCS and VCS way of things in which it never really gave a tutorial, it just assumed the player has played a GTA game before and throws them straight into the action.
You have to think of this from a new player's point of view, or one who doesn't keep track of the game through its development. New features like flagging down taxis have to be introduced and explained. I really don't think you should hold tutorials against the game though, regardless of how long you're exposed to them. It's not like every mission with one was a waste of the storyline.

@Olin, well they all have those boxes. They all explain what you'll have to do at some point in time. No "tutorials" in GTA ever actually force you to do any of the stuff.
Old 12-30-2008   #40
Jon P
Free your mind up

Jon P has much to be proud ofJon P has much to be proud ofJon P has much to be proud ofJon P has much to be proud ofJon P has much to be proud ofJon P has much to be proud ofJon P has much to be proud ofJon P has much to be proud ofJon P has much to be proud ofJon P has much to be proud ofJon P has much to be proud of
Except all the ones Ash listed
Old 12-30-2008   #41
Holster
Xbox Addict

Holster is a splendid one to beholdHolster is a splendid one to beholdHolster is a splendid one to beholdHolster is a splendid one to beholdHolster is a splendid one to beholdHolster is a splendid one to beholdHolster is a splendid one to beholdHolster is a splendid one to beholdHolster is a splendid one to beholdHolster is a splendid one to beholdHolster is a splendid one to behold
@Slim, yeah everything, the duffel bag, art book, etc. and the game. Everything is in EXCELLENT condition, like brand new.

Btw the game on it's own is going for £20-25, which is like $45.

There's 1 Special Edition on ebay, £66 Buy It Now, which isn't gonna sell as you can get it for £70 brand new. I think you can still buy the special edition now anyway.

btw £70's like $140 Slim.

Last edited by Holster; 12-30-2008 at 07:23 PM..
Holster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2008   #42
Ash_735

Quote:
Originally Posted by Slim Trashman View Post
You have to think of this from a new player's point of view, or one who doesn't keep track of the game through its development. New features like flagging down taxis have to be introduced and explained. I really don't think you should hold tutorials against the game though, regardless of how long you're exposed to them. It's not like every mission with one was a waste of the storyline.

@Olin, well they all have those boxes. They all explain what you'll have to do at some point in time. No "tutorials" in GTA ever actually force you to do any of the stuff.
I know they have to be introduced for new players, but damn, isn't an info box enough? Throw like 20 of them at us at the start and let us do everything from then on? I'm looking forward to TLAD because I hope it takes not from LCS and VCS and just throw us into the story and action right away because come on, if I'm playing TLAD, I've obviously played GTA IV before so no need for about 20 missions of "Oooh, did you know you can now do this?". In TLAD all, I wanna see is the first mission being some sort of chase which requires Johnny to grab a bat and chase someone down to introduce the melee weapons on bikes feature, and that's about it, should be more than enough to show us something new, kick off the story in an exciting way and get us into the action right away.
Old 12-30-2008   #43
Thundercracker

Thundercracker has a reputation beyond reputeThundercracker has a reputation beyond reputeThundercracker has a reputation beyond reputeThundercracker has a reputation beyond reputeThundercracker has a reputation beyond reputeThundercracker has a reputation beyond reputeThundercracker has a reputation beyond reputeThundercracker has a reputation beyond reputeThundercracker has a reputation beyond reputeThundercracker has a reputation beyond reputeThundercracker has a reputation beyond repute
I'm guessing you won't be able to use the new features right away, and they'll be explained to you in individual missions.
Thundercracker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2008   #44
JCMercenary
If you can't wear a spandex jumpsuit...

JCMercenary is a glorious beacon of lightJCMercenary is a glorious beacon of lightJCMercenary is a glorious beacon of lightJCMercenary is a glorious beacon of lightJCMercenary is a glorious beacon of lightJCMercenary is a glorious beacon of lightJCMercenary is a glorious beacon of lightJCMercenary is a glorious beacon of lightJCMercenary is a glorious beacon of lightJCMercenary is a glorious beacon of lightJCMercenary is a glorious beacon of light
Through all of this did we find out for sure if Shy Child got his game back, or was it just arguing over the quality of GTA IV?
JCMercenary is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2008   #45
ska
Wearing my rolex

ska has a reputation beyond reputeska has a reputation beyond reputeska has a reputation beyond reputeska has a reputation beyond reputeska has a reputation beyond reputeska has a reputation beyond reputeska has a reputation beyond reputeska has a reputation beyond reputeska has a reputation beyond reputeska has a reputation beyond reputeska has a reputation beyond repute
Quote:
Originally Posted by }{oT~dEv1L 666 View Post
My point is, GTA IV is still greater than Saints Row 2 in any way possible... you must be lying or jerking of to Tera Patrick if you think Saints Row 2 is better than GTA IV.
Why is that a bad thing?

Ontopic: I'm incredibly bored of IV now, I used to love playing online with Macey back in the day though :3
ska is offline   Reply With Quote