Old 12-22-2008   #1
claud3
Banned
Banned

claud3 is a glorious beacon of lightclaud3 is a glorious beacon of lightclaud3 is a glorious beacon of lightclaud3 is a glorious beacon of lightclaud3 is a glorious beacon of lightclaud3 is a glorious beacon of lightclaud3 is a glorious beacon of lightclaud3 is a glorious beacon of lightclaud3 is a glorious beacon of lightclaud3 is a glorious beacon of lightclaud3 is a glorious beacon of light
Rate GTA IV on the P.C

Ok i have heard and looked at alot post to see that we are having alot of problems with GTA IV p.c and since the game has been out for a few weeks. I would like to know what you rate the game on the p.c.

What makes you give that rate and what you think would make your rate go up.

Does rockstar have to release more than one Patch to fix the problems and do you need a better P.C to run the game.

I would give the game a 10. Because at first the game went smooth and everything was great framerate was spot on and the flow of the game from no action to full scale shoot-outs was smooth. But after a while i got alot of problems. With slow downs and complete glitches.

Last edited by claud3; 12-22-2008 at 12:44 PM..
claud3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2008   #2
Vortigern

Vortigern has a spectacular aura aboutVortigern has a spectacular aura aboutVortigern has a spectacular aura aboutVortigern has a spectacular aura aboutVortigern has a spectacular aura aboutVortigern has a spectacular aura aboutVortigern has a spectacular aura aboutVortigern has a spectacular aura aboutVortigern has a spectacular aura aboutVortigern has a spectacular aura aboutVortigern has a spectacular aura about
I'd give it a 9.
10 for it being one of the coolest games I've played, and arguably the best GTA ever.
Minus 1 for it being a horrible port. Apart from performance, just look at the menus.
Vortigern is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2008   #3
JC
PhD, MSc, BSc

JC will become famous soon enoughJC will become famous soon enoughJC will become famous soon enoughJC will become famous soon enoughJC will become famous soon enoughJC will become famous soon enoughJC will become famous soon enoughJC will become famous soon enoughJC will become famous soon enough
On the PC.. about an 8.5, I still prefer it on the 360. PC version is good if you have a great computer to play it on.
JC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2008   #4
claud3
Banned
Banned

claud3 is a glorious beacon of lightclaud3 is a glorious beacon of lightclaud3 is a glorious beacon of lightclaud3 is a glorious beacon of lightclaud3 is a glorious beacon of lightclaud3 is a glorious beacon of lightclaud3 is a glorious beacon of lightclaud3 is a glorious beacon of lightclaud3 is a glorious beacon of lightclaud3 is a glorious beacon of lightclaud3 is a glorious beacon of light
will. Both the PS3 and X-BOX 360 had there own problems that is why there was a few patches released. But none has babd as the P.C version.
Old 12-22-2008   #5
kawaga
Electronic Sports League
Newbie Member

kawaga is an unknown quantity at this point
... I never ever experienced such a bad game release. It makes me not buying any game of GfW anymore and waiting for final versions if new rockstar games are published (maybe 2 or 3 month later, but than I could already wait for the budget version what I would propably do).

This game is just one to return !

Maybe the story and graphics are great, but I cannot play it with my high end PC. On a scale 0 lowest - 10 highest:

'0'
(sorry, but such problems for such a long time is a nogo, take2 and rockstar might recognize it with L&D, cause I am not gonna buy it!)

btw: I think most people are not looking at this boards anymore because they returned it. As mentioned a few weeks ago, shops in Europe started the first call back for a computer game ever, quite sad.

It could be a better grade (even with this problems) if rockstar and take2 would communicate with the 80% of guys having problems with this game (Its actually from their own poll ^^, its really really really sad).
kawaga is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2008   #6
plavigrm

plavigrm is infamous around these partsplavigrm is infamous around these parts
9 out of 10 I guess. It's a great game, it just has high requirements.
plavigrm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2008   #7
Criptos
Newbie Member

Criptos is on a distinguished roadCriptos is on a distinguished roadCriptos is on a distinguished road
9/10 I bought the Ps3 version midnight when it came out. And well there have been some problems for people with the PC version. You just gotta have some patience it's rockstar they will fix it. And the video editor is just so much fun! I'm just hoping the PC version gets the lost and damned stuff since it's microsoft as well. Againg for those having issues just hang in there and it will be worth it IMO.
Criptos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2008   #8
Nite
Addicted PC Gamer

Nite has a brilliant futureNite has a brilliant futureNite has a brilliant futureNite has a brilliant futureNite has a brilliant futureNite has a brilliant futureNite has a brilliant futureNite has a brilliant futureNite has a brilliant futureNite has a brilliant futureNite has a brilliant future
at the moment I would give the PC version a 7 outta 10

-1 for occasional glitches
-2 for performance problems

It's still a great game no doubt, I just hope rockstar can fix it with later patches.

Last edited by Nite; 12-22-2008 at 07:19 PM..
Nite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2008   #9
thenotsogoodtrickster
late on the feels

thenotsogoodtrickster is a splendid one to beholdthenotsogoodtrickster is a splendid one to beholdthenotsogoodtrickster is a splendid one to beholdthenotsogoodtrickster is a splendid one to beholdthenotsogoodtrickster is a splendid one to beholdthenotsogoodtrickster is a splendid one to beholdthenotsogoodtrickster is a splendid one to beholdthenotsogoodtrickster is a splendid one to beholdthenotsogoodtrickster is a splendid one to beholdthenotsogoodtrickster is a splendid one to beholdthenotsogoodtrickster is a splendid one to behold
Great game, bad port. 5/10 because you need both a decent processor and GFX card, which you need for most games, I know, but even with great hardware you can still look at dodgy framerates.

Also, what makes things worse, is that I don't think a few patches can fix some bugs, they seem to be mostly hardware related, and not little inconsistent bugs.
thenotsogoodtrickster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2008   #10
Nite
Addicted PC Gamer

Nite has a brilliant futureNite has a brilliant futureNite has a brilliant futureNite has a brilliant futureNite has a brilliant futureNite has a brilliant futureNite has a brilliant futureNite has a brilliant futureNite has a brilliant futureNite has a brilliant futureNite has a brilliant future
its actually just the faster CPU you need, a faster video card won't help cause even a GTX 280 and AMD 4870 X2 will drop to the 20 - 30 range on a Core 2 Quad and lower.

I read somewhere that the Intel Core i7 (4 core / 8 Thread chips) run GTA4 really good regardless of the video card you have.

Last edited by Nite; 12-23-2008 at 07:29 PM..
Nite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2008   #11
De7erminist
http://7thzone.net

De7erminist has a spectacular aura aboutDe7erminist has a spectacular aura aboutDe7erminist has a spectacular aura aboutDe7erminist has a spectacular aura aboutDe7erminist has a spectacular aura aboutDe7erminist has a spectacular aura aboutDe7erminist has a spectacular aura aboutDe7erminist has a spectacular aura aboutDe7erminist has a spectacular aura aboutDe7erminist has a spectacular aura aboutDe7erminist has a spectacular aura about
I will give Grand Theft Auto IV, overall, as a game - a 97/100, in other words, a 10/10 if you round it up. 0.1 off because of some occasional glitches, 0.1 off because of a delayed PC release and another 0.1 off because of some really cool features that got taken out during development.

I will give Grand Theft Auto IV on Games for Windows a 94/100. Why? Everything is perfect, except for six things. Three are mentioned above. 0.1 off because of the graphical limitations (believe me, guys - there were no graphical glitches in this game, not at all, just some poorly-implemented graphical limitations that causes these problems, what a pity). And of course, another 0.1 of the score because of the DRM and the bulk of things needed to be installed together with GTA IV PC. the last 0.1% because Rockstar Games did not include a non-linear editor in GTA IV PC with more power. It's a really linear editor, you can't really set the position of the texts, have a scrollable timeline, etc. And the transitions are really lame, the storyboard is useless, could be merged with the timeline. Also, there are no cutting tools to cut your songs. You can't even shorten your songs/texts by dragging their ends like I'm used to. And we should be given the freedom of up to 5 layers of video, 4 layers of mono audio, as well as tools such as cursor, knife, etc. Texts should belong to the video timeline, and audio can be imported by yourself with the ability to cut. Those are decent features that are taken out. Why is the game non-linear and the editor so linear? Seriously.

Overall, the game is fully functional. I can even run it on 1440x900 on Medium textures, Highest rendering (the rest don't matter) on a GeForce 8600GT 256MB, albeit with frequent lags, low framerate and pop-ins. But it's understandable, my system sucks. C'mon guys, let's face up to reality. If R* didn't choose to implement the graphical limitations, you could also as well burn off your GPU and CPU trying to run the game at max using a shitty computer. Not everyone has some powerful cooling system. I'd bet R* would rather want people to say "GTA IV sucks on my PC, can't even work" instead of "GTA IV broke my whole rig, dang!". Besides, if you get a lawsuit or something, you'd rather want people to just return you the game, rather than people asking for refunds on their games AND for compensation of their broken computers.

Think about it guys. If you have a shitty computer just face it. If you can play Crysis it doesn't mean anything because Crysis' world isn't really that non-linear and it doesn't have unique buildings and people, cars popping up everywhere with a dynamic time cycle. Crysis just has really good graphics with random trees, vegetation and some unique landscape. None of that is as unique as that of GTA IV's. Of course, if you ask doing a jungle or a city is easier, of course a city. But do you realize that a city requires more power to run, it's common sense! And it's not your computer's having problems, it's the game's damn graphical limitations!
De7erminist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2008   #12
claud3
Banned
Banned

i just think the port is a bab port. Because they rushed it and never give any thought to the problems it would cause if it was rushed
Old 12-24-2008   #13
Ash_735

Ash_735 has a reputation beyond reputeAsh_735 has a reputation beyond reputeAsh_735 has a reputation beyond reputeAsh_735 has a reputation beyond reputeAsh_735 has a reputation beyond reputeAsh_735 has a reputation beyond reputeAsh_735 has a reputation beyond reputeAsh_735 has a reputation beyond reputeAsh_735 has a reputation beyond reputeAsh_735 has a reputation beyond reputeAsh_735 has a reputation beyond repute
The game itself, I'd say 9/10. The PC Version, 4/10, I;m sorry, ok, it's good for those of you that got it working, but this is one game that requires too much work for such little pay off, we bought the game, why should we spend hours tweaking, sorting the correct drivers, making sure we plug controllers out, etc, just to get the game running when most other games on the market work fine. The memory leak problem is still there, I can't play the game for more than 15-20 minutes before the fps drops to around 6 and the game just starts lagging like fuck. It shouldn't be this hard to play a game on PC, don't give me the fanboy response of "Oh It's GTA4, it's a great game so the extra work is worth it", No it's not, no game should have you fuck around this much just to get dire results in the end. Rockstar Toronto shouldn't make anything for the PC again as they are getting worse, Bully was bad but nowhere near as bad as GTA4.
Ash_735 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2008   #14
claud3
Banned
Banned

your right Ash_735. I will not give you the fanboy response because i agree the big problem i see is the fact you have to have a powerful p.c to run it and worse of all its not a click and play, Which means you cann't just put it in install it and then play it striaght away. You have to connect it online to register it which in it self is a pain in the whole if you don't have a internet connect.
Old 01-03-2009   #15
knifepoint
Newbie Member

knifepoint is an unknown quantity at this point
I agree. Also the controls are messed up, you cant use return, alt menu and other keys. you can only use 3 mouse buttons when many people these days have gaming mice. you cant even use a control pad for vehicles. and games for windows & the social club has just made the game even more annoying and its junk you dont want on your computer

5/10
knifepoint is offline   Reply With Quote