Go Back   GTAGaming Forums > Grand Theft Auto > Grand Theft Auto IV
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Old 12-21-2008   #1
Splint
Newbie Member

Splint is an unknown quantity at this point
Lightbulb Weird graphical improvement [blur]

Hey.
Now, it's the second time I witnessed this strange effect whilst playing. I am going to show a few screenshots so that you can compare them yourself and see the difference. I can't recall how the first one occurred but both happened while I was playing online. The second time this blur effect came in after I died and thus, re-spawned. I find it weird, but strangely the gameplay became much smoother and more realistic too.

Ordinary graphic.
http://screenshot.xfire.com/screensh...5ed2e5bb74.png - look at the distance, the outline of buildings are sharp there is no blur effect on it at all. Also, the poles behind the car are sharp as well, I could even point the pixels out.
http://i200.photobucket.com/albums/a...V/cb646b75.png - Now, this was taken today, supposedly a few minutes before the blur effect got applied.

Unusual graphic:
(The screens are zoomable, make sure you have them on fullscreen otherwise it's likely that you miss the point.)
http://i200.photobucket.com/albums/a...V/a04f63c5.png - Check out the control tower, it's somewhat shady and blurred. Same goes for the vehicle that's approaching me. Moreover, you can't even see the end of the airstrip as it's out of focus.
http://i200.photobucket.com/albums/a...V/f4f48c47.png - Same as the above picture, more or less. Ignore my character's suit not being that detailed, especially the trousers... but somehow it's still much better than normally.
http://i200.photobucket.com/albums/a...V/63be9abb.png - Nothing to add.
http://i200.photobucket.com/albums/a...l/dda9d2c2.png - Screenshot speaks for itself, very realistic.
http://i200.photobucket.com/albums/a...V/ddf576e0.png - I performed a rapid camera movement with mouse.
http://screenshot.xfire.com/screensh...f031bc674e.png - Just to show what it looks like above a certain speed.
http://i200.photobucket.com/albums/a...V/ff8611b0.png - Same
http://screenshot.xfire.com/screensh...cb81ee4882.png - After all, it gets carried over to SP.

However, if I quit at that point and restart the game, everything gets back to 'normal'. It'd be awesome if I could generate this effect whenever I wanted to.
Any ideas? I wish I had this effect every time but it seems to happen completely randomly.

Edit: Note that no graphic settings where changed in the meantime, I always used the same.

Last edited by Splint; 12-21-2008 at 11:46 AM..
Splint is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2008   #2
Xan
█▄▄█▄▄█ █▬█ █

Xan has a reputation beyond reputeXan has a reputation beyond reputeXan has a reputation beyond reputeXan has a reputation beyond reputeXan has a reputation beyond reputeXan has a reputation beyond reputeXan has a reputation beyond reputeXan has a reputation beyond reputeXan has a reputation beyond reputeXan has a reputation beyond reputeXan has a reputation beyond repute
I remember a tip from Mouldy that pressing "P" on the PC version applied a Blur effect onto the screen.

Never tried it, but this might be what your looking for. If it's not, I'm sorry for getting your hopes up.
Old 12-21-2008   #3
Thundercracker

Thundercracker has a reputation beyond reputeThundercracker has a reputation beyond reputeThundercracker has a reputation beyond reputeThundercracker has a reputation beyond reputeThundercracker has a reputation beyond reputeThundercracker has a reputation beyond reputeThundercracker has a reputation beyond reputeThundercracker has a reputation beyond reputeThundercracker has a reputation beyond reputeThundercracker has a reputation beyond reputeThundercracker has a reputation beyond repute
It looks like the effect used on the console versions. Perhaps Rockstar Toronto were on crack when they were fiddling with the coding. It shouldn't be turning on at random. I'm not sure why it isn't an option as it is, because I love how much better the game looks with it on.
Thundercracker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2008   #4
Xan
█▄▄█▄▄█ █▬█ █

Xan has a reputation beyond reputeXan has a reputation beyond reputeXan has a reputation beyond reputeXan has a reputation beyond reputeXan has a reputation beyond reputeXan has a reputation beyond reputeXan has a reputation beyond reputeXan has a reputation beyond reputeXan has a reputation beyond reputeXan has a reputation beyond reputeXan has a reputation beyond repute
As far as i've noticed the Shadows and etc look very rough without. A little blur would be nice, but judging by a certain image it looks overdone.
Old 12-21-2008   #5
Thundercracker

Thundercracker has a reputation beyond reputeThundercracker has a reputation beyond reputeThundercracker has a reputation beyond reputeThundercracker has a reputation beyond reputeThundercracker has a reputation beyond reputeThundercracker has a reputation beyond reputeThundercracker has a reputation beyond reputeThundercracker has a reputation beyond reputeThundercracker has a reputation beyond reputeThundercracker has a reputation beyond reputeThundercracker has a reputation beyond repute
Perhaps the blur was intense at that moment or it was overapplied. I haven't had it look that bad on the 360 during normal gameplay, but it's been that intense when the player goes flying from some sort of explosion or related impact.
Old 12-21-2008   #6
Splint
Newbie Member

Issue solved! Xan you were right, just gave it a try and "p" indeed allowed me to switch between normal mode, and this blured one. This worked not only in MP, but in SP too. I must have pressed "p" accidentally when I died, or something like that. Game looks much better, it's definitely worth trying it!
Old 12-21-2008   #7
Thundercracker

There's a chance it toggled on by itself during multiplayer. Probably a coding issue. You should confirm if this does indeed happen by itself upon respawn.
Old 12-21-2008   #8
claud3
Banned
Banned

claud3 is a glorious beacon of lightclaud3 is a glorious beacon of lightclaud3 is a glorious beacon of lightclaud3 is a glorious beacon of lightclaud3 is a glorious beacon of lightclaud3 is a glorious beacon of lightclaud3 is a glorious beacon of lightclaud3 is a glorious beacon of lightclaud3 is a glorious beacon of lightclaud3 is a glorious beacon of lightclaud3 is a glorious beacon of light
i have had some of the same problems. One minute its all perfect and crisp and the second its like whoa what happened everything is improved
claud3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2008   #9
Splint
Newbie Member

@Olin:
No, I am fairly sure it doesn't as I had died multiple times before that special one took place. Not to mention, I usually press the wrong button since I am not used to it yet. (For example, I happen to press "u", "i" keys instead of "z" aka chat button.) Plus, I was chatting with a friend of mine the entire time, and since my keyboard contains accentuated letters too, actually "p" is surrounded with those letters, it's likely to be the result of a typos.
Old 12-24-2008   #10
GamerX5500

GamerX5500 is on a distinguished roadGamerX5500 is on a distinguished roadGamerX5500 is on a distinguished roadGamerX5500 is on a distinguished roadGamerX5500 is on a distinguished road
I got the blur when I set detail distance to 100. I'm not sure. Maybe the letter "p" does it. I'll test it out and see for myself. Personally, I like the blur.
GamerX5500 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2008   #11
Ash_735

Ash_735 has a reputation beyond reputeAsh_735 has a reputation beyond reputeAsh_735 has a reputation beyond reputeAsh_735 has a reputation beyond reputeAsh_735 has a reputation beyond reputeAsh_735 has a reputation beyond reputeAsh_735 has a reputation beyond reputeAsh_735 has a reputation beyond reputeAsh_735 has a reputation beyond reputeAsh_735 has a reputation beyond reputeAsh_735 has a reputation beyond repute
The Filter keeps turning itself on in my game, which is annoying, I turn it off, later on go into a Multiplayer game, it's back on, turn it off, quit multiplayer and go back to single player, the filter is back on. It appears no matter how many times I turn it off, the game thinks I want it, same with the controls, I configure them everytime the game starts, yet upon each reset they are back to the defaults.
Ash_735 is offline   Reply With Quote