Old 12-13-2008   #1
WarMage
Newbie Member

WarMage is an unknown quantity at this point
Weird shadows or it's me ???

Ooooook guys !

Hi and thanks to take some time to review this post... now, there we goes :

I luv the game, but I think there is a problem with my graphics, actually I have seen the same thing on Far Cry 1 a long moment ago ! My shadows are very weird and I think that's create a big FPS drop too. I changed my vid card three time since Far Cry 1 and I still have the same bug, now in GTA4.

I'm amazed because I really don't understand what can cause this. I have taken 3 screen to show you guys, try to look and see, I know it's not so evident, that's because in the printscreen, the picture isn't moving. But in the real game, with the weird graphics, the shadow are really strange..... and disturbing. It's even sometime hard to play in zones with massive shadows effects.... become very laggy too. Oh, a little info, my rig is a war machine so I really don't think it's an hardware problem :

Q9450
4gig OCZ reaperx kit 1066mhz memory
Asus Striker II
GTX260 OC2 BFG
500 gig Seagate 32mb memory X2
etc.....

Screens :

Thanks for your time and the help -> If someone know the trick to repair my shadows... it would be very appreciated !

It's been so long since I have this bug, not on all games, it's on some specific games, like GTA4 or Far Cry 1 (not on farcry2....) etc....
WarMage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2008   #2
Xan
█▄▄█▄▄█ █▬█ █

Xan has a reputation beyond reputeXan has a reputation beyond reputeXan has a reputation beyond reputeXan has a reputation beyond reputeXan has a reputation beyond reputeXan has a reputation beyond reputeXan has a reputation beyond reputeXan has a reputation beyond reputeXan has a reputation beyond reputeXan has a reputation beyond reputeXan has a reputation beyond repute
I have the same shadows as you, kind of like someone sprayed saw dust all over Liberty City.

Not sure if it's meant to look this way by the engine, or if it's a problem with the GPU or etc.
Old 12-14-2008   #3
Markonious
Niko's cousin

Markonious is on a distinguished roadMarkonious is on a distinguished roadMarkonious is on a distinguished roadMarkonious is on a distinguished road
Same here... Is it supposed to look like that or??? (edges made of lots of "spots")
Markonious is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2008   #4
.:Mouldy Punk:.

.:Mouldy Punk:. has much to be proud of.:Mouldy Punk:. has much to be proud of.:Mouldy Punk:. has much to be proud of.:Mouldy Punk:. has much to be proud of.:Mouldy Punk:. has much to be proud of.:Mouldy Punk:. has much to be proud of.:Mouldy Punk:. has much to be proud of.:Mouldy Punk:. has much to be proud of.:Mouldy Punk:. has much to be proud of.:Mouldy Punk:. has much to be proud of.:Mouldy Punk:. has much to be proud of
I think they're meant to look like that. If you hit 'P', it'll turn on a console-esque blur that hides the grainy-ness of the shadows.

Hosted on ImgBin.Org | Happy Easter...ish
.:Mouldy Punk:. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2008   #5
Sam B.
Formerly SB141

Sam B. is a jewel in the roughSam B. is a jewel in the roughSam B. is a jewel in the roughSam B. is a jewel in the roughSam B. is a jewel in the roughSam B. is a jewel in the roughSam B. is a jewel in the roughSam B. is a jewel in the roughSam B. is a jewel in the roughSam B. is a jewel in the roughSam B. is a jewel in the rough
is like this on the console versions aswell except less spotty and more grainy so all thats left to assume is that its porbably what rockstar intended to do or it was the only way they could put shadows in the game, but thats just me

360 II Sammy B II PSN Sam-B93 STEAM IISammyBII
Sam B. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2008   #6
Nite
Addicted PC Gamer

Nite has a brilliant futureNite has a brilliant futureNite has a brilliant futureNite has a brilliant futureNite has a brilliant futureNite has a brilliant futureNite has a brilliant futureNite has a brilliant futureNite has a brilliant futureNite has a brilliant futureNite has a brilliant future
thats normal its like that for everyone.

I wish thier was a mod out to disable shadows completely I would use it because they look like crap even at max detail.

i7 2600k @ 4.2Ghz | 16GB Corsair Vengeance DDR3 1333 | 4GB EVGA GTX 770 SC ACX | EVGA Z68 SLI

Last edited by Nite; 12-14-2008 at 11:18 PM..
Nite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2008   #7
WarMage
Newbie Member

WarMage is an unknown quantity at this point
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nite View Post
thats normal its like that for everyone.

I wish thier was a mod out to disable shadows completely I would use it because they look like crap even at max detail.
It's exactly what I was thinking when I was reading the post just before yours lol .... it's kinda weird but niiiiice... it's not my pc, I'm half happy now. Let's wait for a graphic mod, I'm sure someone will release one ... that will tweak those type of .... "weird stuff" inside the game.

Hey, it feel very very weird when you think of it !!! RockStar release their game and then, the community itselft will polish it by releasing mods, in the end, it's the community that will really make GTA4 the best game ever, in a couple of month, with all the mods, tweaks etc that we will be able to put on, GTA4 will look awesome ! Shame on RockStar? Maybe yes, maybe no, it's hard to tell, but damn, it's a pain that this game look like that and be so bugged.

Let's the community speak now....
WarMage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2008   #8
Nite
Addicted PC Gamer

Nite has a brilliant futureNite has a brilliant futureNite has a brilliant futureNite has a brilliant futureNite has a brilliant futureNite has a brilliant futureNite has a brilliant futureNite has a brilliant futureNite has a brilliant futureNite has a brilliant futureNite has a brilliant future
Indeed, I love community made mods that polish up games to look even better.

Example: the ENBSeries for GTASA, and Blackmesa Source to replace the shit graphics in Half-Life 1: Source

i7 2600k @ 4.2Ghz | 16GB Corsair Vengeance DDR3 1333 | 4GB EVGA GTX 770 SC ACX | EVGA Z68 SLI
Nite is offline   Reply With Quote