Go Back   GTAGaming Forums > Grand Theft Auto > Grand Theft Auto IV
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Old 4 Weeks Ago   #1
JoeVK
Newbie Member

JoeVK is an unknown quantity at this point
[TUT] Using Zmod2 for (somewhat) fake AO

Ok, I've figured out that you can use the prelit colors tool in Zmod to correct the specular problem that GTAV
vehicles converted to IV/EFLC have, and works well enough to simulate the faked AO that R* used on IV/EFLC cars.

-Make sure all the L0 meshes are visible except windows and lights (they don't need shading and they mess up the
shading of the other meshes anyway). Also, extras that sit on top of other parts (like hood scoops and rear
spoilers) should be done separately. Shading on a trunk due to a spoiler is ugly when the spoiler isn't on it.

-Go through the vertex properties of all the meshes you want to apply the shading on and make sure the "normals"
box is unchecked and "diffuse color" box is checked.

-Select all of the meshes and turn selected mode on.

-In the tools panel go to Surface>Paint make sure it's settings are as follows:
Pressure: 50, Soft Shape: checked, Alpha Only: unchecked.

-Now go to Surface>Paint>Prelit Color. Change the settings to as follows:
Force Colors: off, Brightness Only: on, Detect Shadows: on, Strength: 50

-Go over to the "top" viewport and click anywhere.

NOTE: Once the process completes, you might get an error saying a mesh (or meshes) has no normals and that the tool
wasn't applied to it. If it's a mesh you wanted shaded, click the undo button, go to the meshes' vertex properties
and uncheck the normals box, then reapply the Prelit Color tool again. If it's not a mesh you wanted shaded, just
ignore the error message and continue on to the next step.

-Once the shading process is complete, switch to vertex mode and select all of the vertices of every mesh that was
just shaded.

-Go to Surface>Paint>Color and click the box to the right of it to open it's color menu. Select a near-pure white
color (around 250,250,250 is a good starting point)

-Click the "Fill Selection" button once. ONLY ONCE! More than one will pretty much wipe out everything done before
this step.

-Switch back to objects mode and go back thru each meshes vertex properties and check the "normals" box (leave the
"diffuse color" box checked).

-Repeat the process on the L1 meshes (if you're using them).

This isn't a perfect process by any means. It's not exactly what R* did, but it gives decent results in my opinion.
I do suggest saving the scene (with a different name) before applying the white color in case it's too light or dark
for your tastes. If the white used isn't to your liking, open the other scene and apply a lighter or darker shade of
white to try.

This also works on parts like wheels, just make sure the wheel is the only part visible and do the Prelit Colors
from the view that faces the front of the wheel.

As an example, here's a pic of Cromchen's 9F Cabrio that served as the guinea pig for the process. Turned
out decently, I think. Not as good as 3ds Max could do it, but works well enough. Sorry, no "before" pics,
my internet is too slow to upload pics ATM.

JoeVK is offline   Reply With Quote