Go Back   GTAGaming Forums > Grand Theft Auto > Grand Theft Auto IV
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Old 12-06-2008   #1
De7erminist
http://7thzone.net

De7erminist has a spectacular aura aboutDe7erminist has a spectacular aura aboutDe7erminist has a spectacular aura aboutDe7erminist has a spectacular aura aboutDe7erminist has a spectacular aura aboutDe7erminist has a spectacular aura aboutDe7erminist has a spectacular aura aboutDe7erminist has a spectacular aura aboutDe7erminist has a spectacular aura aboutDe7erminist has a spectacular aura aboutDe7erminist has a spectacular aura about
Tips for people with a 256MB card or people that cannot run at a high resolution

I have found out, the game's textures will refuse to load if you exceed the optimal settings too much when you enable "-norestrictions" at the back of your shortcut target in the PC version Grand Theft Auto IV.

To trick it into thinking it's a lower resolution, you can add "-windowed" at the back of your shortcut target as well, forcing it to run as a window. Set the resolution to the lowest setting (800x600) and set the rest of your settings.

Then, load up the game and Alt+Tab out. Maximize the window through Windows Task Manager and go back into the game. You will realize the resolution has changed to your current resolution (full screen). Don't worry, it won't be stretched, the resolution will change accordingly, but it will say otherwise in the Graphics settings. Load up the game and you will realize the game finally loads the textures.

This is for people with video cards with only 256MB video memory. I have managed to get Highest rendering quality, Medium texture quality, Detail and View Distance at halfway, and Vehicle Density at 33 by using this trick on my 256MB version of NVIDIA GeForce 8600. Set the shadow density to 0, as it will help improve the framerate a lot.

The game will not run at a very smooth framerate, but it does let you run well at Medium texture quality at fullscreen, which is a breakthtough. The "optimal" settings only limits you to 800x600 resolution with all very minimal settings. Pop-ins also get worse, but it is playable.
De7erminist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2008   #2
Duke Lion

Duke Lion is just really niceDuke Lion is just really niceDuke Lion is just really niceDuke Lion is just really niceDuke Lion is just really niceDuke Lion is just really niceDuke Lion is just really niceDuke Lion is just really niceDuke Lion is just really niceDuke Lion is just really niceDuke Lion is just really nice
Well, if you set it to 800x600 it is a lower resolution.. it just stretches it when you maximize the window..
Duke Lion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2008   #3
De7erminist
http://7thzone.net

De7erminist has a spectacular aura aboutDe7erminist has a spectacular aura aboutDe7erminist has a spectacular aura aboutDe7erminist has a spectacular aura aboutDe7erminist has a spectacular aura aboutDe7erminist has a spectacular aura aboutDe7erminist has a spectacular aura aboutDe7erminist has a spectacular aura aboutDe7erminist has a spectacular aura aboutDe7erminist has a spectacular aura aboutDe7erminist has a spectacular aura about
Quote:
Originally Posted by Duke Lion View Post
Well, if you set it to 800x600 it is a lower resolution.. it just stretches it when you maximize the window..
No, it doesn't stretch, the game adjusts the resolution. Trust me, do it for yourself.
De7erminist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2008   #4
Duke Lion

Duke Lion is just really niceDuke Lion is just really niceDuke Lion is just really niceDuke Lion is just really niceDuke Lion is just really niceDuke Lion is just really niceDuke Lion is just really niceDuke Lion is just really niceDuke Lion is just really niceDuke Lion is just really niceDuke Lion is just really nice
Yea, I just tried.. That's really weird :S

I can't say if there's a performance gain or not though.. It's not running very well at all on my system. Massive amount of popups if I raise the resolution and texture detail :/
Duke Lion is offline   Reply With Quote