Go Back   GTAGaming Forums > GTAGaming > Announcements & Feedback
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Closed Thread

Old 10-13-2008   #1
Pran
So's your face
Loyal Member

Pran is on a distinguished roadPran is on a distinguished roadPran is on a distinguished roadPran is on a distinguished roadPran is on a distinguished road
The overwhelming number of sub-forums kills forum activity

Just a thought. None of the forums seem to be bursting with life at the moment and I think merging some of them together would help make things feel busier. For example, the separate forums for Music and creating Audio (which seems largely aimed at music) could easily be merged together into a general all things Music forum, as could be the case with many of the other sub-forums in the media and creative categories.

Stupid idea?

Last edited by Pran; 10-13-2008 at 04:16 PM..
Old 10-13-2008   #2
rappo
Professional Dumbass

rappo is a God.rappo is a God.rappo is a God.rappo is a God.rappo is a God.rappo is a God.rappo is a God.rappo is a God.rappo is a God.rappo is a God.rappo is a God.
No, not stupid at all - I've thought about this for a while, too. The forums used to be pretty active and having separate forums was nice, but ever since GTA IV was released people are visiting less and less, rendering some forums useless (not just GTA-based ones, as those visitors often ventured to other forums). Maybe it's time for some sort of restructure, thanks for sharing your thoughts.
Old 10-13-2008   #3
Ash_735

Ash_735 has a reputation beyond reputeAsh_735 has a reputation beyond reputeAsh_735 has a reputation beyond reputeAsh_735 has a reputation beyond reputeAsh_735 has a reputation beyond reputeAsh_735 has a reputation beyond reputeAsh_735 has a reputation beyond reputeAsh_735 has a reputation beyond reputeAsh_735 has a reputation beyond reputeAsh_735 has a reputation beyond reputeAsh_735 has a reputation beyond repute
OBJECTION! I actually agree with this idea, but no matter what Off Topic/Crap Shack will always remain the popular areas until another GTA game is announced/close to coming out.
Old 10-13-2008   #4
Pran
So's your face
Loyal Member

Pran is on a distinguished roadPran is on a distinguished roadPran is on a distinguished roadPran is on a distinguished roadPran is on a distinguished road
I can understand the most recent game(s) having a separate forum, but I think the earlier ones could probably be grouped together (Vice City and earlier, maybe even SA). It's more the off-topic forums I was thinking about though. I think having a Music Forum, A Film/Literature forum (I'd group these together because I'm not sure if they'd get enough on their own, and you can just say what you're talking about using tags in the thread title) and then a Graphics forum could take the place of all the sub-categories in the Meda and Creative forums. Also, I remember a time when there was no Crap Shack and the Off Topic forum was brilliant. I know merging the two and being relaxed within reason about spam is a big step but it could make a really good General forum? Again, just an idea. The amount of forums at the moment in general though seems unnecessary given the amount of users on here.
Old 10-13-2008   #5
rcguy150
Resident Bitch

rcguy150 will become famous soon enoughrcguy150 will become famous soon enoughrcguy150 will become famous soon enoughrcguy150 will become famous soon enoughrcguy150 will become famous soon enoughrcguy150 will become famous soon enoughrcguy150 will become famous soon enoughrcguy150 will become famous soon enough
I think as soon as GTAIV is released on PC, then we will see higher traffic on these forums, with the beginning of modding and such. People will come here looking for mods, asking for help on how to mod things, requesting mods, tutorials, showcasing projects, all that good stuff. Since the PC release isnt out yet, and San Andreas seems to be dying, if not very slow... a slow period right now isnt surprising.
Old 10-13-2008   #6
Pran
So's your face
Loyal Member

The lack of activity in the Off Topic & Unrelated forum doesn't seem too surprising considering there's a separate sub-forum for many of the common topics people may talk about (sport, technology, news etc).
Old 10-13-2008   #7
Slim Trashman
Sanitation Division

Slim Trashman has a brilliant futureSlim Trashman has a brilliant futureSlim Trashman has a brilliant futureSlim Trashman has a brilliant futureSlim Trashman has a brilliant futureSlim Trashman has a brilliant futureSlim Trashman has a brilliant futureSlim Trashman has a brilliant futureSlim Trashman has a brilliant futureSlim Trashman has a brilliant futureSlim Trashman has a brilliant future
I've actually thought the same, there are a LOT of sub forums and I know I personally have contributed a lot to that. The level of activity and size of the community at the current time is not enough in my opinion to deem all these sub forums necessary. I have a few ideas of how to fix this, but I'm going to hold off on them until a later time. There's a lot of other things on the site that need to be sorted out before we worry about the forums.

Thanks for posting though, I wasn't sure if anyone else thought the same, so your feedback is much appreciated
Old 10-13-2008   #8
WiM
All for one.

WiM is a jewel in the roughWiM is a jewel in the roughWiM is a jewel in the roughWiM is a jewel in the roughWiM is a jewel in the roughWiM is a jewel in the roughWiM is a jewel in the roughWiM is a jewel in the roughWiM is a jewel in the roughWiM is a jewel in the roughWiM is a jewel in the rough
I haven't been around for very long, but even I see a difference. I remember the "love and relationship" thread being a thread where a lot of people posted. It seems pretty much dried up now. Just to give an example.

Anyway, I think this might work.
Old 10-13-2008   #9
Legham
a.k.a, Fosters Breath

Legham has a reputation beyond reputeLegham has a reputation beyond reputeLegham has a reputation beyond reputeLegham has a reputation beyond reputeLegham has a reputation beyond reputeLegham has a reputation beyond reputeLegham has a reputation beyond reputeLegham has a reputation beyond reputeLegham has a reputation beyond reputeLegham has a reputation beyond reputeLegham has a reputation beyond repute
I agree with all the above. Last week i spent like 6 days or something off gtag except for about 10 minutes on the 4th ish day, but of course all the posts i didn't get to see were no longer in New Posts for when i got back on. I'd normally go through all the forums to see what i missed, but last night i just couldn't be bothered cause there are so many sub-forums.

And now would be the time to fix it to. As rcguy said, IV for PC is going to be released soon, so there will be tons of new users. So if the sub-forums are messy it's not going to be very tempting for them to stick around and maybe start posting in non-GTA related forums. Especially for those who aren't familiar with forums and won't be able to navigate around them as easy.
Old 10-14-2008   #10
Nite
Addicted PC Gamer

Nite has a brilliant futureNite has a brilliant futureNite has a brilliant futureNite has a brilliant futureNite has a brilliant futureNite has a brilliant futureNite has a brilliant futureNite has a brilliant futureNite has a brilliant futureNite has a brilliant futureNite has a brilliant future
I have some ideas for the forum Layout to try to consolidate it a bit and better organize it.

* "Video Games Chat", "Website Advertisng" and "Creative Expression" sections could be moved next to the other sections in the "Media & Enterteinment" sub forum.

* GTA3, Vice City, San Andreas and GTA4 Sub forums should have thier own Modding Section to keep them seperated to that specific game instead of them being combined like it is now.

-------- also each of these games should have thier own seperate section for "Console Version Talk" and "PC Version Talk"

*Liberty City Stories, Vice City Stories could be grouped together in a "Portable GTA Games" section

Throughts on this?

i7 2600k @ 4.2Ghz | 16GB Corsair Vengeance DDR3 1333 | 4GB EVGA GTX 770 SC ACX | EVGA Z68 SLI
Old 10-14-2008   #11
rappo
Professional Dumbass

rappo is a God.rappo is a God.rappo is a God.rappo is a God.rappo is a God.rappo is a God.rappo is a God.rappo is a God.rappo is a God.rappo is a God.rappo is a God.
I don't really think our modding section is active enough to warrant separate forums for each GTA game, really.
Old 10-14-2008   #12
Pran
So's your face
Loyal Member

I was thinking that all of the non-GTA forums could be replaced with: Video Game Chat, Music, Graphics, Film/Literature, Off Topic/Crap Shack (maybe merge these two into a single forum), Advertising. I don't know how much people talk about politics here, but maybe if it's warranted there could be a Political Discussion forum too? At the moment there's something like 14 sub-forums in the OT section so that would really narrow it down.
Old 10-17-2008   #13
ska
Wearing my rolex

ska has a reputation beyond reputeska has a reputation beyond reputeska has a reputation beyond reputeska has a reputation beyond reputeska has a reputation beyond reputeska has a reputation beyond reputeska has a reputation beyond reputeska has a reputation beyond reputeska has a reputation beyond reputeska has a reputation beyond reputeska has a reputation beyond repute
OT and CS being merged would never work.
Old 10-17-2008   #14
Don
Random Member

Don is a splendid one to beholdDon is a splendid one to beholdDon is a splendid one to beholdDon is a splendid one to beholdDon is a splendid one to beholdDon is a splendid one to beholdDon is a splendid one to beholdDon is a splendid one to beholdDon is a splendid one to beholdDon is a splendid one to beholdDon is a splendid one to behold
I think merging the subforums of GTAIV would make a difference too. All other GTA forums doesn't have subforums here
Old 10-19-2008   #15
oppar
Amateur Intellectual

oppar has a reputation beyond reputeoppar has a reputation beyond reputeoppar has a reputation beyond reputeoppar has a reputation beyond reputeoppar has a reputation beyond reputeoppar has a reputation beyond reputeoppar has a reputation beyond reputeoppar has a reputation beyond reputeoppar has a reputation beyond reputeoppar has a reputation beyond reputeoppar has a reputation beyond repute
The music, news, sports, technology, and TV forums shouldn't be subforums IMO. Some should be removed, or moved to the forum index.

People probably don't go to them because:
A. They're either too lazy.
B. They don't know it's there.
C. They don't post there because nobody else does.

I think:
The literature forum should be removed. It's obvious that nobody really wants to come onto a forum to discuss books, and if they do, they could just use the off-topic forum.
The Music/Movies/TV/Sports forums should be merged into an 'entertainment' forum, and this shouldn't be a subforum.
The news forum should be removed. If people want to talk about news, they could just use the off-topic forum.
Technology should have its very own forum on the forum index, where people can ask for help, or post news about technology.
People should stop posting topics about tv/sports/music/technology in the crap shack.

grimmy is a gay icon

Last edited by oppar; 10-19-2008 at 10:36 AM..
Closed Thread