Go Back   GTAGaming Forums > Grand Theft Auto > Grand Theft Auto IV
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Old 09-03-2008   #1
Serge
Newbie Member

Serge is an unknown quantity at this point
Grand Theft Auto Helps Preteen Rescue Family From Crashed Car

While we've seen countless story regarding children using Grand Theft Auto as their inspiration to do wrong, it's extremely rare that we see news about GTA being cited as a cause for good. It happened on August 27th around 9pm, as the Norris family of five was heading to Diamond, Illinois to visit relatives. Their 2000 Jeep Grand Cherokee swerved off the road, hitting a guardrail and flipping four times before coming to a stop, caving in the roof and smashing out the back window. With her mother hanging upside down and her father pinned against the steering wheel, 11-year-old Audrey Plique climbed out of the back window and helped her parents and two younger siblings escape the car. The motivation for her heroic act, according to her mother Karen Norris?

"She just knew, from playing 'Grand Theft Auto.' She saw on there that when a car rolls over, it can blow up. She knew that could happen to us"

I know, I had to make sure the story was true as well, going so far as to call the story's writer, Craig Wieczorkiewicz, to verify the details. "It's amazing the sort of information that comes out when you ask the right questions," he offered, after I commented on the rarity of such stories.

So yes, the Grand Theft Auto series can easily become the scapegoat for any number of crimes, but it can also inspire heroism in the heart of a preteen girl with an unrealistic grasp on automobile physics. Of course this will be discounted as a freak occurrence by those that choose to believe violent games cause violent children, but for us the story can serve as an example of video games teaching us helpful, if relatively inaccurate things.

Source:http://kotaku.com/5044866/grand-thef...-familys-lives
Serge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2008   #2
Vini
Mustafo is coming!

Vini is a name known to allVini is a name known to allVini is a name known to allVini is a name known to allVini is a name known to allVini is a name known to allVini is a name known to allVini is a name known to allVini is a name known to allVini is a name known to allVini is a name known to all
So what was the point of the escape if the car never blew up?
Old 09-03-2008   #3
rappo
Professional Dumbass

rappo is a God.rappo is a God.rappo is a God.rappo is a God.rappo is a God.rappo is a God.rappo is a God.rappo is a God.rappo is a God.rappo is a God.rappo is a God.
Misleading title and a pretty much nonsense article, to be honest. I doubt a video game, rather than natural instinct, inspired this girl to help her family out of as dangerous a situation as being in an overturned car.
rappo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2008   #4
X-Ecutioner

X-Ecutioner is on a distinguished roadX-Ecutioner is on a distinguished roadX-Ecutioner is on a distinguished roadX-Ecutioner is on a distinguished roadX-Ecutioner is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by rappo View Post
Misleading title and a pretty much nonsense article, to be honest. I doubt a video game, rather than natural instinct, inspired this girl to help her family out of as dangerous a situation as being in an overturned car.
Im going to Agree. Bit of a silly story
X-Ecutioner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2008   #5
Ash_735

Ash_735 has a reputation beyond reputeAsh_735 has a reputation beyond reputeAsh_735 has a reputation beyond reputeAsh_735 has a reputation beyond reputeAsh_735 has a reputation beyond reputeAsh_735 has a reputation beyond reputeAsh_735 has a reputation beyond reputeAsh_735 has a reputation beyond reputeAsh_735 has a reputation beyond reputeAsh_735 has a reputation beyond reputeAsh_735 has a reputation beyond repute
At least it isn't blaming GTA for the crash!
Ash_735 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2008   #6
Staffybull97

Staffybull97 has much to be proud ofStaffybull97 has much to be proud ofStaffybull97 has much to be proud ofStaffybull97 has much to be proud ofStaffybull97 has much to be proud ofStaffybull97 has much to be proud ofStaffybull97 has much to be proud ofStaffybull97 has much to be proud ofStaffybull97 has much to be proud ofStaffybull97 has much to be proud ofStaffybull97 has much to be proud of
Quote:
Originally Posted by rappo View Post
If I was in a car crash with my family, I would deffinetly try to save them in any way possible out of instincts. I totally agree that this heroic event was just instincts.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ash_735 View Post
At least it isn't blaming GTA for the crash!
Yeah, I'm rather suprised at that one also
And here at the end, at the end of the hurt
All the pain ain't the same when it's your turn to burn
Staffybull97 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2008   #7
ZCAB
Whipping Post

ZCAB has a reputation beyond reputeZCAB has a reputation beyond reputeZCAB has a reputation beyond reputeZCAB has a reputation beyond reputeZCAB has a reputation beyond reputeZCAB has a reputation beyond reputeZCAB has a reputation beyond reputeZCAB has a reputation beyond reputeZCAB has a reputation beyond reputeZCAB has a reputation beyond reputeZCAB has a reputation beyond repute
Like she would have stayed put if she had never played GTA.
ZCAB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2008   #8
guilty.by.association
Registered Loser

guilty.by.association has a reputation beyond reputeguilty.by.association has a reputation beyond reputeguilty.by.association has a reputation beyond reputeguilty.by.association has a reputation beyond reputeguilty.by.association has a reputation beyond reputeguilty.by.association has a reputation beyond reputeguilty.by.association has a reputation beyond reputeguilty.by.association has a reputation beyond reputeguilty.by.association has a reputation beyond reputeguilty.by.association has a reputation beyond reputeguilty.by.association has a reputation beyond repute
Yeah i know lol GTA would be the last thing i'd think of if i was in the middle of a car crash.
guilty.by.association is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2008   #9
Buddah_Lova
4/29/08

Buddah_Lova is an unknown quantity at this point
lol that girls a fuckin noob cuz cars dont blow up when they flip over in GTA 4!!
Buddah_Lova is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2008   #10
Ænemy
Digital/Concept Artist

Ænemy will become famous soon enoughÆnemy will become famous soon enoughÆnemy will become famous soon enoughÆnemy will become famous soon enoughÆnemy will become famous soon enoughÆnemy will become famous soon enoughÆnemy will become famous soon enoughÆnemy will become famous soon enoughÆnemy will become famous soon enough
Quote:
Originally Posted by Buddah_Lova View Post
lol that girls a fuckin noob cuz cars dont blow up when they flip over in GTA 4!!
ZING!
Ænemy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2008   #11
comics22
Do the Testris shuffle!

comics22 is on a distinguished roadcomics22 is on a distinguished roadcomics22 is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Staffybull97 View Post
If I was in a car crash with my family, I would deffinetly try to save them in any way possible out of instincts. I totally agree that this heroic event was just instincts.

Yeah, I'm rather suprised at that one also
haha exactly, its like saying GTA made me jump back from the fire cuz it was hot!

lol i love how it just says the jeep "magically" swerved and hit a guardrail...maybe someone should learn how to drive and not buy a useless vehicle thats designed to roll over haha
comics22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2008   #12
Jonatron
Aversion to Movement

Jonatron is an unknown quantity at this point
Also at least it isn't linking the use of said roll-able vehicle to driving into airports full of petrol clad terrorists.
100% in LCS and SA and now VCS. GTAIII-31%(Missions Complete). Vice City, that game is tricky, But so-so cool. - Story Complete, now i need to play it through again and get 100%. All Packages, Paramedic, Vigilante complete 'In The Begining' Hell yeah.
Jonatron is offline   Reply With Quote