Go Back   GTAGaming Forums > Grand Theft Auto > Grand Theft Auto IV
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Old 07-31-2008   #1
Ash_735

Ash_735 has a reputation beyond reputeAsh_735 has a reputation beyond reputeAsh_735 has a reputation beyond reputeAsh_735 has a reputation beyond reputeAsh_735 has a reputation beyond reputeAsh_735 has a reputation beyond reputeAsh_735 has a reputation beyond reputeAsh_735 has a reputation beyond reputeAsh_735 has a reputation beyond reputeAsh_735 has a reputation beyond reputeAsh_735 has a reputation beyond repute
GTA IV on GMTV

GTA IV is about to be blamed for something again, it's on GMTV in a few mins, will update this post with whatever information the Media want to blame it for this time.

edit: Well it wasn't that bad, apparently people in America end up going on killing sprees playing Grand Theft Auto and games like GTA IV and MGS4 (Which by the way, showed spoiler footage of the secret weapons in the game) should only be bought by adults. Also they want a new rating system to match the BBFC (Even though the BBFC DO rate games like GTA and MGS???) and that they will also take online play into consideration, so basically, with the freedom of speech online and the things people say, every game will have an AO rating, great.

Last edited by Ash_735; 07-31-2008 at 12:52 AM..
Ash_735 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2008   #2
danhex

danhex is on a distinguished roaddanhex is on a distinguished roaddanhex is on a distinguished road
whats GMTV>
danhex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2008   #3
Ash_735

Ash_735 has a reputation beyond reputeAsh_735 has a reputation beyond reputeAsh_735 has a reputation beyond reputeAsh_735 has a reputation beyond reputeAsh_735 has a reputation beyond reputeAsh_735 has a reputation beyond reputeAsh_735 has a reputation beyond reputeAsh_735 has a reputation beyond reputeAsh_735 has a reputation beyond reputeAsh_735 has a reputation beyond reputeAsh_735 has a reputation beyond repute
Good Morning TeleVision, it's on ITV1 (one of the main five channels in the UK) every morning.
Old 07-31-2008   #4
danhex

danhex is on a distinguished roaddanhex is on a distinguished roaddanhex is on a distinguished road
oh, gotcha ash, i dont have that because i live in NY. any streaming links?
Old 07-31-2008   #5
Ash_735

Fraid Not, they've already moved on anyway, just the usual tripe, Video Games Are Bad, etc, showed footage of GTA IV and MGS4, saying kids shouldn't play them and that they should be rated higher, etc.
Old 07-31-2008   #6
danhex

yeah i hear ya, i was watchiung this thing called ...somethignb lol, off crackle.com, and it had that ahole dick Jack Thompson, but oh yeah, JACE is the name of the show...pretty sweet.
Old 07-31-2008   #7
Sasha

Sasha is a splendid one to beholdSasha is a splendid one to beholdSasha is a splendid one to beholdSasha is a splendid one to beholdSasha is a splendid one to beholdSasha is a splendid one to beholdSasha is a splendid one to beholdSasha is a splendid one to beholdSasha is a splendid one to beholdSasha is a splendid one to beholdSasha is a splendid one to behold
I don't understand how an 18+ rating is gonna stop people from getting the game?
Anyone under that age have parents, right? If not parents they have older friends.

Not really going to do much imo.
Old 07-31-2008   #8
Johnny-Z

Johnny-Z is a splendid one to beholdJohnny-Z is a splendid one to beholdJohnny-Z is a splendid one to beholdJohnny-Z is a splendid one to beholdJohnny-Z is a splendid one to beholdJohnny-Z is a splendid one to beholdJohnny-Z is a splendid one to beholdJohnny-Z is a splendid one to beholdJohnny-Z is a splendid one to beholdJohnny-Z is a splendid one to beholdJohnny-Z is a splendid one to behold
^ I agree with xelasha's comment, I have said this before but I'll say it again, if people who are under 18 are mature and know not be dickheads and do what they see in the game, people should be allowed to play the game.

I think it is maturaty level that should determine weather somebody under18 is allowed to play GTA meaning it should be at the parents desecreation weather somebody under the age of 18 is allowed to play games such as GTA.
Old 07-31-2008   #9
CB
"Your stupidity may be your one saving grace."

CB has a spectacular aura aboutCB has a spectacular aura aboutCB has a spectacular aura aboutCB has a spectacular aura aboutCB has a spectacular aura aboutCB has a spectacular aura aboutCB has a spectacular aura aboutCB has a spectacular aura aboutCB has a spectacular aura aboutCB has a spectacular aura aboutCB has a spectacular aura about
Fucking morons. It doesn't matter what rating the games are, the kids will get the parents to buy them. And killings aren't linked to video games at all, if they're going to do it, they're going to do it, just something to shift the blame on that all parents will look up and say "Yes, this game is bad. My son shoots people in cold blood and has sex with fat prostitutes"

Oh, you're 13 year old son is going to have sex and shoot someone in the face on the way to school is he?

Idiot.

The media has always hated games and they know it's so easy to blame them and unfortunately it works every time.

CB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2008   #10
thenotsogoodtrickster
late on the feels
Loyal Member

thenotsogoodtrickster is a splendid one to beholdthenotsogoodtrickster is a splendid one to beholdthenotsogoodtrickster is a splendid one to beholdthenotsogoodtrickster is a splendid one to beholdthenotsogoodtrickster is a splendid one to beholdthenotsogoodtrickster is a splendid one to beholdthenotsogoodtrickster is a splendid one to beholdthenotsogoodtrickster is a splendid one to beholdthenotsogoodtrickster is a splendid one to beholdthenotsogoodtrickster is a splendid one to beholdthenotsogoodtrickster is a splendid one to behold
At the end of the day the ratings don't create a force field around the game that stops people with intentions of giving it to minors from picking it up. The government needs to belt up and try and invest in ways to have kids with educated parents. No offense but around here with the teenage pregnancies and stuff, the kids don't end up with full guidance, they're obviously going to get in the wrong frame of mind or wrong friends and eventually get involved with crime and stuff. Games don't have any effect in this, and even if they do, it's only the already warped they're influencing.

Our government should really try and reach out to these problems, and not give themselves a payrise whilst no-one else gets one, just so they can afford their second house abroad, and be able to go on fucking holiday every month.
Old 07-31-2008   #11
TomFratelli
Sophisticated Member.

TomFratelli will become famous soon enoughTomFratelli will become famous soon enoughTomFratelli will become famous soon enoughTomFratelli will become famous soon enoughTomFratelli will become famous soon enoughTomFratelli will become famous soon enough
Anyone got any youtube links or something, i want to see this
Old 07-31-2008   #12
Cutts
Omniscient
Addicted Member

Cutts has much to be proud ofCutts has much to be proud ofCutts has much to be proud ofCutts has much to be proud ofCutts has much to be proud ofCutts has much to be proud ofCutts has much to be proud ofCutts has much to be proud ofCutts has much to be proud ofCutts has much to be proud ofCutts has much to be proud of
What's amazing about this perticular article is that GTAIV and MGS4 are both rated as an 18 and a 15, yet the games are still blamed. GMTV would never blame the parents, because they talk a load of old tripe and because parents are the main viewers.
Cutts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2008   #13
TimBud
Clarkson for PM

TimBud is infamous around these partsTimBud is infamous around these parts
Yep, as always it seems it was an 'out of context' report.

I don't really see the point of any age rating system, because no-one ever follows it. If a kid plays or watches at movie/game that they're not old enough for then its them that should take the blame!

TimBud is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2008   #14
claud3
Banned
Banned

claud3 is a glorious beacon of lightclaud3 is a glorious beacon of lightclaud3 is a glorious beacon of lightclaud3 is a glorious beacon of lightclaud3 is a glorious beacon of lightclaud3 is a glorious beacon of lightclaud3 is a glorious beacon of lightclaud3 is a glorious beacon of lightclaud3 is a glorious beacon of lightclaud3 is a glorious beacon of lightclaud3 is a glorious beacon of light
it is always a way that people would blame gta iv or mgs 4 on the fact the games for18's and it is the parents fault for buying it for there kidz. And second it is the gameshops fault for selling to the parents even if the kid is in the store as while
claud3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2008   #15
De7erminist
http://7thzone.net

De7erminist has a spectacular aura aboutDe7erminist has a spectacular aura aboutDe7erminist has a spectacular aura aboutDe7erminist has a spectacular aura aboutDe7erminist has a spectacular aura aboutDe7erminist has a spectacular aura aboutDe7erminist has a spectacular aura aboutDe7erminist has a spectacular aura aboutDe7erminist has a spectacular aura aboutDe7erminist has a spectacular aura aboutDe7erminist has a spectacular aura about
Angry

Quote:
Originally Posted by ash_735 View Post
Fraid Not, they've already moved on anyway, just the usual tripe, Video Games Are Bad, etc, showed footage of GTA IV and MGS4, saying kids shouldn't play them and that they should be rated higher, etc.
It's effectively asking kids to move to sub-standard entertainment, stay childish all the way till 18 years old, and not grow mentally. That's what I see all around me. Teenagers as old as 15, 16 or even 18 years old are still playing flash games, GameBoys, stupid money-scammer games (basically, the kind of games no reviewers would want to even take a few seconds to rate).

This will effectively cause kids to be less mature and less sensitive to the world around them, as they miss out on TV shows, Games with mature, realistic and adult content. Then they grow up with an immature mind, and then they might start to play video games at 18 years old. Them, being older and has greater access to things, yet without parental control, will possibly be the ones that will pick up a pistol and go on a crime spree, as opposed to a gamer who would rather mind his GamerScores.

What a great idea of a ratings system. Wow.

You don't let the kids be exposed to fictional violence, when will they ever learn? You can be over-protective parents, but they will learn it for themselves anyway and see stuff like violence, sex, drugs in the mean streets out there? And when they see it, will they be able to cope with such potential situations in the future by having an immature mind? Perhaps not.

And it's also harming the video games industry. If you've never played a good video game like GTA or MGS, you will probably not play it in the future. Besides, it's hard to start playing even when you're an adult. From young, you've already been told that they're "evil", and have already been influenced by the media on their "harmful effects", which will not actually help a person in having smart choices as a consumer, and he will effectively make a wrong choice and stick with the not-so-good kinds of entertainment.

Basically, I don't think video games will cause criminal activity at all. Crime is caused by circumstance, as well as the moral values someone believes in, as well as their general mental maturity. It does not have to do with a simple video game. Besides, it has already been proven that GTA had deterred criminal activity in the USA.

Based on the given fact that GTA IV has sold tens of millions of copies worldwide and those anti-game crusaders' fraudulent claims, are we suddenly going to see a sudden and steep rise of criminal activity worldwide? I don't think so. And it has not even happened. In fact, it has worked the reverse way. It deterred crime. I think people nowadays are more likely to compete for multiplayer leaderboards positions, GamerScores and to shoot those 200 Flying Rats rather than commit crimes, which is rather stupid and not really fun in the real life.

I think these anti-game crusaders must really spend a few more minutes thinking over what they've said, if not, I don't think their opinions are welcome.

Who feels the same way?

Last edited by De7erminist; 08-01-2008 at 06:37 AM..
De7erminist is offline   Reply With Quote