Go Back   GTAGaming Forums > Grand Theft Auto > Grand Theft Auto IV
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Old 07-28-2008   #1
Thomas B.
Streets ahead
Loyal Member

Thomas B. is a glorious beacon of lightThomas B. is a glorious beacon of lightThomas B. is a glorious beacon of lightThomas B. is a glorious beacon of lightThomas B. is a glorious beacon of lightThomas B. is a glorious beacon of lightThomas B. is a glorious beacon of lightThomas B. is a glorious beacon of lightThomas B. is a glorious beacon of lightThomas B. is a glorious beacon of lightThomas B. is a glorious beacon of light
Original Names

They should have used the original names for the boroughs that they used in GTA III, but left Bohan for the Bronx, Dukes for Queens, and Broker for Brooklyn. But Alderney could be Portland, Staunton Island for Algonquin and they could have used the same district names.
Thomas B. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2008   #2
scott
....whuuuut?

scott has much to be proud ofscott has much to be proud ofscott has much to be proud ofscott has much to be proud ofscott has much to be proud ofscott has much to be proud ofscott has much to be proud ofscott has much to be proud ofscott has much to be proud ofscott has much to be proud ofscott has much to be proud of
and the point of this thread is? its a newly designed city, if they used the old names, it would be GTAIII but completely different, and confusing to many.
Old 07-28-2008   #3
thenotsogoodtrickster
late on the feels
Loyal Member

thenotsogoodtrickster is a splendid one to beholdthenotsogoodtrickster is a splendid one to beholdthenotsogoodtrickster is a splendid one to beholdthenotsogoodtrickster is a splendid one to beholdthenotsogoodtrickster is a splendid one to beholdthenotsogoodtrickster is a splendid one to beholdthenotsogoodtrickster is a splendid one to beholdthenotsogoodtrickster is a splendid one to beholdthenotsogoodtrickster is a splendid one to beholdthenotsogoodtrickster is a splendid one to beholdthenotsogoodtrickster is a splendid one to behold
I can only imagine the GTA III LC for online:

"Hey dude, where are you?"
"Staunton island."
"Whereabouts?"
"Erm... Fuck."

Where IV LC you have the likes of chinatown, the tirangle, the prison. I dunno, it just feels more lifelike with names similar to a real-life place and districts similar to that of an American city.
Old 07-28-2008   #4
Thomas B.
Streets ahead
Loyal Member

Thomas B. is a glorious beacon of lightThomas B. is a glorious beacon of lightThomas B. is a glorious beacon of lightThomas B. is a glorious beacon of lightThomas B. is a glorious beacon of lightThomas B. is a glorious beacon of lightThomas B. is a glorious beacon of lightThomas B. is a glorious beacon of lightThomas B. is a glorious beacon of lightThomas B. is a glorious beacon of lightThomas B. is a glorious beacon of light
Right, but I'm saying that they use the original names for the islands AND the districts, so like Belleville Park, the Red Light District. They use the district names too from GTA III era.
Thomas B. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2008   #5
Ash_735

Ash_735 has a reputation beyond reputeAsh_735 has a reputation beyond reputeAsh_735 has a reputation beyond reputeAsh_735 has a reputation beyond reputeAsh_735 has a reputation beyond reputeAsh_735 has a reputation beyond reputeAsh_735 has a reputation beyond reputeAsh_735 has a reputation beyond reputeAsh_735 has a reputation beyond reputeAsh_735 has a reputation beyond reputeAsh_735 has a reputation beyond repute
But it's completely different? It would be confusing to gamers when talking about the games, in IV the areas are direct parodies of areas in the real New York.
Ash_735 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2008   #6
thenotsogoodtrickster
late on the feels
Loyal Member

thenotsogoodtrickster is a splendid one to beholdthenotsogoodtrickster is a splendid one to beholdthenotsogoodtrickster is a splendid one to beholdthenotsogoodtrickster is a splendid one to beholdthenotsogoodtrickster is a splendid one to beholdthenotsogoodtrickster is a splendid one to beholdthenotsogoodtrickster is a splendid one to beholdthenotsogoodtrickster is a splendid one to beholdthenotsogoodtrickster is a splendid one to beholdthenotsogoodtrickster is a splendid one to beholdthenotsogoodtrickster is a splendid one to behold
Just had another thought. It has to be completely new, or else you get an extended Liberty City from III, if it had all the same places from III then suddenly theres more land here and there, then there'd be questions asked. 1999 to 2008 there's suddenly more land, you'd think: what?

A whole new start allows a better experience in my opinion, you don't think "Oh this is where Claude blew up _____" and so forth, you have to relearn everything, the layout, you are truly an immigrant just arriving in Liberty City, you don't know where things are and stuff like that. I dunno, there'd just be a lot to complain about if they kept areas from III for IV.
Old 07-28-2008   #7
baleent
Banned
Banned

baleent is on a distinguished roadbaleent is on a distinguished roadbaleent is on a distinguished roadbaleent is on a distinguished roadbaleent is on a distinguished road
It's a video game, who cares if the islands are bigger than they were before. You seem to forget that this is still Liberty City, yet not the same one at all. Is it really that confusing?

I would have liked to see some of the areas from GTA III in GTA IV, n I bet there are.

Has anyone found the "You werent supposed to be able to get here" sign?
baleent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2008   #8
Ash_735

Ash_735 has a reputation beyond reputeAsh_735 has a reputation beyond reputeAsh_735 has a reputation beyond reputeAsh_735 has a reputation beyond reputeAsh_735 has a reputation beyond reputeAsh_735 has a reputation beyond reputeAsh_735 has a reputation beyond reputeAsh_735 has a reputation beyond reputeAsh_735 has a reputation beyond reputeAsh_735 has a reputation beyond reputeAsh_735 has a reputation beyond repute
Well in that case, you're being stubborn, I can easily turn around and say how come GTA3 didn't feature any places from GTA1's Liberty City? It's a different incarnation of the city, only thing that remains is pretty much the city name.

edit: See this is what some of you have to remember, especially the new GTA era people, this ISN'T the second version of Liberty City, it's actually the third version, and apart from the name, they have been very different from each other.

Last edited by Ash_735; 07-28-2008 at 05:48 PM..
Ash_735 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2008   #9
Staffybull97

Staffybull97 has much to be proud ofStaffybull97 has much to be proud ofStaffybull97 has much to be proud ofStaffybull97 has much to be proud ofStaffybull97 has much to be proud ofStaffybull97 has much to be proud ofStaffybull97 has much to be proud ofStaffybull97 has much to be proud ofStaffybull97 has much to be proud ofStaffybull97 has much to be proud ofStaffybull97 has much to be proud of
To me it wouldn't be a good idea to put old names in a new game. It would really comfuse everybody. That's just my opinion though.
Staffybull97 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2008   #10
danhex

danhex is on a distinguished roaddanhex is on a distinguished roaddanhex is on a distinguished road
I understand what your saying, but it is pointless, this is a completely new game dawggg
danhex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2008   #11
CB
"Your stupidity may be your one saving grace."

CB has a spectacular aura aboutCB has a spectacular aura aboutCB has a spectacular aura aboutCB has a spectacular aura aboutCB has a spectacular aura aboutCB has a spectacular aura aboutCB has a spectacular aura aboutCB has a spectacular aura aboutCB has a spectacular aura aboutCB has a spectacular aura aboutCB has a spectacular aura about
Close it, close it now.

CB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2008   #12
Yam Trigger
Urban Pleb

Yam Trigger is a splendid one to beholdYam Trigger is a splendid one to beholdYam Trigger is a splendid one to beholdYam Trigger is a splendid one to beholdYam Trigger is a splendid one to beholdYam Trigger is a splendid one to beholdYam Trigger is a splendid one to beholdYam Trigger is a splendid one to beholdYam Trigger is a splendid one to beholdYam Trigger is a splendid one to beholdYam Trigger is a splendid one to behold
New game, new names.

Do you smell burning feathers?
Yam Trigger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2008   #13
BlackSilver65

BlackSilver65 is just really niceBlackSilver65 is just really niceBlackSilver65 is just really niceBlackSilver65 is just really niceBlackSilver65 is just really niceBlackSilver65 is just really niceBlackSilver65 is just really niceBlackSilver65 is just really niceBlackSilver65 is just really niceBlackSilver65 is just really niceBlackSilver65 is just really nice
Yeah it'd be annoying for me because I know GTAIII like the back of my hand, and then to go back and be playing IV and see Red Light District, and see that it looks nothing like it used to, I'd get annoyed a bit I guess, but not confused. Everyone is talking about how confusing it'd be, I just think it'd be annoying seeing the same name to different place, kinda like how it is now, BUT I couldn't think of another name that fits the game so perfectly.
and ash I've seen the word "era" in your posts soo many times haha
I remember when IV was first coming out and you were getting so frustrated with people and "who do you think will return"
Sorry for getting off topic everyone XD
BlackSilver65 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2008   #14
danhex

danhex is on a distinguished roaddanhex is on a distinguished roaddanhex is on a distinguished road
yeah it wud def be annoying seeing all these familiar names in unfamiliar places.
danhex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2008   #15
JRussell89
Dats da fact jack!

JRussell89 will become famous soon enoughJRussell89 will become famous soon enoughJRussell89 will become famous soon enoughJRussell89 will become famous soon enoughJRussell89 will become famous soon enoughJRussell89 will become famous soon enoughJRussell89 will become famous soon enoughJRussell89 will become famous soon enough
You know, it is not that unreasonable to think that the old district names could still be used in the game. I, personally like the new system it does create a sense of "newness" and helps you initially feel like an immigrant.

Last edited by JRussell89; 07-30-2008 at 03:34 AM..
JRussell89 is offline   Reply With Quote