Go Back   GTAGaming Forums > Grand Theft Auto > Grand Theft Auto IV
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Closed Thread

Old 06-10-2008   #61
Grimmy
I'm ready for the laughing gas

Grimmy has a reputation beyond reputeGrimmy has a reputation beyond reputeGrimmy has a reputation beyond reputeGrimmy has a reputation beyond reputeGrimmy has a reputation beyond reputeGrimmy has a reputation beyond reputeGrimmy has a reputation beyond reputeGrimmy has a reputation beyond reputeGrimmy has a reputation beyond reputeGrimmy has a reputation beyond reputeGrimmy has a reputation beyond repute
I thought the points for adressed in the video were kind of meh.
Old 06-10-2008   #62
oppar
Amateur Intellectual

oppar has a reputation beyond reputeoppar has a reputation beyond reputeoppar has a reputation beyond reputeoppar has a reputation beyond reputeoppar has a reputation beyond reputeoppar has a reputation beyond reputeoppar has a reputation beyond reputeoppar has a reputation beyond reputeoppar has a reputation beyond reputeoppar has a reputation beyond reputeoppar has a reputation beyond repute
Why is it? It's the first GTA on next gen consoles, like like how GTA III was. It's not a step backwards in anyway. A few features were cut out, boo hoo, cry me a fucking river. We got online capabilities, much better car handling, the new euphoria physics engine etc. I'd rather run over peds, crush cars, and fall from helicopters than doing boring ass ambulance missions.

Rockstar said themselves, that GTA II - GTA III is the type of jump that they will be making with GTA IV, and to be honest, they did just that.

and that was directed at himuro btw

grimmy is a gay icon

Last edited by oppar; 06-10-2008 at 09:52 AM..
Old 06-10-2008   #63
Himuro
These boots are made for walking

Himuro has a spectacular aura aboutHimuro has a spectacular aura aboutHimuro has a spectacular aura aboutHimuro has a spectacular aura aboutHimuro has a spectacular aura aboutHimuro has a spectacular aura aboutHimuro has a spectacular aura aboutHimuro has a spectacular aura aboutHimuro has a spectacular aura aboutHimuro has a spectacular aura aboutHimuro has a spectacular aura about
Quote:
Originally Posted by 5tatic View Post
Why is it? It's the first GTA on next gen consoles, like like how GTA III was. It's not a step backwards in anyway. A few features were cut out, boo hoo, cry me a fucking river. We got online capabilities, much better car handling, the new euphoria physics engine etc.

Rockstar said themselves, that GTA II - GTA III is the type of jump that they will be making with GTA IV, and to be honest, they did just that.
GTAIV's jump is not anything like from GTAII to GTAIII to me. III changed everything. IV didn't even change how the mission structure was handled which was basically the same way it was since III. It felt more like a renovation rather than a revolution, and it wasn't even a positive renovation in my eyes.

I think it's silly comparing IV to III because for one thing, I highly doubt they even got rid of all their old game code. Secondly, III is a better sandbox and playing ground than IV.

The only similarities IV and III have with one another is that they were first GTA's to come out on new console hardware. That's really where the similarities end.
Old 06-10-2008   #64
power valve
Wise man once told me For the banter!!

power valve is on a distinguished roadpower valve is on a distinguished roadpower valve is on a distinguished roadpower valve is on a distinguished road
But really to sum it up, What ever Saints row can come out with will never be good enough to beat GTA, To prove this ask yourself a quick few questions, Witch game started this style game off, witch one was the 1st one, and its blatantly GTA and the hundreds of GTA clones made will never beat it.
Old 06-10-2008   #65
phreak
wsup den
Veteran Member

phreak has much to be proud ofphreak has much to be proud ofphreak has much to be proud ofphreak has much to be proud ofphreak has much to be proud ofphreak has much to be proud ofphreak has much to be proud ofphreak has much to be proud ofphreak has much to be proud ofphreak has much to be proud ofphreak has much to be proud of
You know Himuro, there's always other games you can play. We get it, you hate GTA IV, move on to something else. It's just better for everyone if you do.
Old 06-10-2008   #66
Himuro

Himuro has a spectacular aura aboutHimuro has a spectacular aura aboutHimuro has a spectacular aura aboutHimuro has a spectacular aura aboutHimuro has a spectacular aura aboutHimuro has a spectacular aura aboutHimuro has a spectacular aura aboutHimuro has a spectacular aura aboutHimuro has a spectacular aura aboutHimuro has a spectacular aura aboutHimuro has a spectacular aura about
I honestly don't hate it. I thought we were having a civil discussion but I guess we'll just have to agree to disagree.
Old 06-10-2008   #67
Ash_735

Ash_735 has a reputation beyond reputeAsh_735 has a reputation beyond reputeAsh_735 has a reputation beyond reputeAsh_735 has a reputation beyond reputeAsh_735 has a reputation beyond reputeAsh_735 has a reputation beyond reputeAsh_735 has a reputation beyond reputeAsh_735 has a reputation beyond reputeAsh_735 has a reputation beyond reputeAsh_735 has a reputation beyond reputeAsh_735 has a reputation beyond repute
Quote:
Originally Posted by Himuro View Post
I think it's silly comparing IV to III because for one thing, I highly doubt they even got rid of all their old game code.
yeah, because coding games for the 360 is the same as coding games for the PS2. GTA IV is built up totally on new code. The physics engine had to be coded in, RAGE had to be bent and work around (previous GTA games pre-LCS ran on Renderware). The game was started in late 2004/early 2005 and was built from scratch for the 360 and slowly re-done and adjusted for the PS3 version. So their old game code as you put it doesn't fucking matter here and it most likely wouldn't of worked anyway, please, do a little research before making a comment like this, saying coding for the PS2 Renderware engind is the same as the 360/PS3 RAGE engine is just retarded, it's like saying you can code anything in the world because you created an emulator once.
Old 06-10-2008   #68
ZCAB
Whipping Post

ZCAB has a reputation beyond reputeZCAB has a reputation beyond reputeZCAB has a reputation beyond reputeZCAB has a reputation beyond reputeZCAB has a reputation beyond reputeZCAB has a reputation beyond reputeZCAB has a reputation beyond reputeZCAB has a reputation beyond reputeZCAB has a reputation beyond reputeZCAB has a reputation beyond reputeZCAB has a reputation beyond repute
How exactly was the leap to 3D between GTA2 and GTA III anything more than a natural evolution? Rockstar could not have gotten away with another top-down 2D game, even back in 2001 (not to mention it wasn't even necessary to go top-down since they had the power of the PS2). It was the way the 3D served other elements of the game (elements that were much more revolutionary than 3D gaming in general) that made III such a leap forward. It made the characters feel more like real people, it gave the city much more character, ambiance, and depth.
Rockstar have always been right on the pulse of what current gaming technology allows them to do with their games, and only strayed from their main goal of serving the player with a compelling crime story in a realistic city environment when they were stuck with the same technology for a long time. San Andreas being the retard baby of prolonged exposion to the sixth generation of video gaming.
Old 06-10-2008   #69
Himuro

Quote:
Originally Posted by ash_735 View Post
yeah, because coding games for the 360 is the same as coding games for the PS2. GTA IV is built up totally on new code. The physics engine had to be coded in, RAGE had to be bent and work around (previous GTA games pre-LCS ran on Renderware). The game was started in late 2004/early 2005 and was built from scratch for the 360 and slowly re-done and adjusted for the PS3 version. So their old game code as you put it doesn't fucking matter here and it most likely wouldn't of worked anyway, please, do a little research before making a comment like this, saying coding for the PS2 Renderware engind is the same as the 360/PS3 RAGE engine is just retarded, it's like saying you can code anything in the world because you created an emulator once.
I just doubt they totally got rid of all of the code. They have spent so many resources and time with the old code. I figured GTAIV's coding consisted of the rudimentary codework for the old games to lessen the workload.
Old 06-10-2008   #70
Pablo Escobar Jr.
Veteran Member

Pablo Escobar Jr. has a reputation beyond reputePablo Escobar Jr. has a reputation beyond reputePablo Escobar Jr. has a reputation beyond reputePablo Escobar Jr. has a reputation beyond reputePablo Escobar Jr. has a reputation beyond reputePablo Escobar Jr. has a reputation beyond reputePablo Escobar Jr. has a reputation beyond reputePablo Escobar Jr. has a reputation beyond reputePablo Escobar Jr. has a reputation beyond reputePablo Escobar Jr. has a reputation beyond reputePablo Escobar Jr. has a reputation beyond repute
Some like it, some don't like it. Opinions differ.

I personally think GTA IV is overrated, overhyped and a real let down. But it's still a good game, I still enjoy the game and I bet it's better than SR2. GTA IV is a better game than GTA SA, but if I compare GTA IV in 2008 with how I liked SA in 2004, GTA SA is winning. I've played and rather enjoyed SA for four years, I really don't see myself playing GTA IV in 2012. No fucking way.

Oh, cool video btw.

Hot Buttered Soul
Old 06-10-2008   #71
Himuro

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZCAB View Post
How exactly was the leap to 3D between GTA2 and GTA III anything more than a natural evolution? Rockstar could not have gotten away with another top-down 2D game, even back in 2001 (not to mention it wasn't even necessary to go top-down since they had the power of the PS2). It was the way the 3D served other elements of the game (elements that were much more revolutionary than 3D gaming in general) that made III such a leap forward. It made the characters feel more like real people, it gave the city much more character, ambiance, and depth.
Rockstar have always been right on the pulse of what current gaming technology allows them to do with their games, and only strayed from their main goal of serving the player with a compelling crime story in a realistic city environment when they were stuck with the same technology for a long time. San Andreas being the retard baby of prolonged exposion to the sixth generation of video gaming.
I recall Sam Houser saying that they split the company because some felt they couldn't do it and others felt they could. The team that felt they could pull it off went to make GTAIII.

GTAIII was revolutionary and a lot more than a natural evolution.
Old 06-10-2008   #72
oppar
Amateur Intellectual

oppar has a reputation beyond reputeoppar has a reputation beyond reputeoppar has a reputation beyond reputeoppar has a reputation beyond reputeoppar has a reputation beyond reputeoppar has a reputation beyond reputeoppar has a reputation beyond reputeoppar has a reputation beyond reputeoppar has a reputation beyond reputeoppar has a reputation beyond reputeoppar has a reputation beyond repute
Quote:
I just doubt they totally got rid of all of the code. They have spent so many resources and time with the old code. I figured GTAIV's coding consisted of the rudimentary codework for the old games to lessen the workload.
Right so, they spent $100 million or something by using old coding.

grimmy is a gay icon
Old 06-10-2008   #73
ZCAB
Whipping Post

ZCAB has a reputation beyond reputeZCAB has a reputation beyond reputeZCAB has a reputation beyond reputeZCAB has a reputation beyond reputeZCAB has a reputation beyond reputeZCAB has a reputation beyond reputeZCAB has a reputation beyond reputeZCAB has a reputation beyond reputeZCAB has a reputation beyond reputeZCAB has a reputation beyond reputeZCAB has a reputation beyond repute
GTAIII was revolutionary, sure, but not because it was 3D. THAT was a natural evolution.
Old 06-10-2008   #74
Ash_735

Ash_735 has a reputation beyond reputeAsh_735 has a reputation beyond reputeAsh_735 has a reputation beyond reputeAsh_735 has a reputation beyond reputeAsh_735 has a reputation beyond reputeAsh_735 has a reputation beyond reputeAsh_735 has a reputation beyond reputeAsh_735 has a reputation beyond reputeAsh_735 has a reputation beyond reputeAsh_735 has a reputation beyond reputeAsh_735 has a reputation beyond repute
Quote:
The GTA IV engine was started back in late 2004 from scratch (meaning, from the ground up, new, nothing there to begin with). Everything you see in GTA IV is built from scratch for the game and required total coding throughout. GTA3 was started from scratch back in the early 2000's and went through many changes. Vice City, San Andreas, LCS and VCS all used modified versions of that engine so keeping previous features was easy since all that was required was a little coding change here and there.

So just to drum it into your head, the old code was usless, to make it simple, it's like a coder for the Nes, working with Nes games for years and then switching jobs to coding for the N64, do you really think the coding is the same? Do you really think the old engine codes work like magic? If they did then we'd be seeing games that are 100x better than they are now since developers wouldn't have to move to new engines.

GTA III - Built from scartch using the Renderware engine
VC, SA - Built on GTAIII code using Renderware engine
LCS, VCS - Built on GTAIII code using an early form of RAGE which emulated Renderware
IV - Built from scratch using RAGE and Euphoria Physics engine
Old 06-10-2008   #75
Himuro

Quote:
Originally Posted by 5tatic View Post
Right so, they spent $100 million or something by using old coding.
True. Like Ash said, using RAGE instead of Renderware would force them to use totally different tech, thus new code.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ash_735 View Post
The GTA IV engine was started back in late 2004 from scratch (meaning, from the ground up, new, nothing there to begin with). Everything you see in GTA IV is built from scratch for the game and required total coding throughout. GTA3 was started from scratch back in the early 2000's and went through many changes. Vice City, San Andreas, LCS and VCS all used modified versions of that engine so keeping previous features was easy since all that was required was a little coding change here and there.

So just to drum it into your head, the old code was usless, to make it simple, it's like a coder for the Nes, working with Nes games for years and then switching jobs to coding for the N64, do you really think the coding is the same? Do you really think the old engine codes work like magic? If they did then we'd be seeing games that are 100x better than they are now since developers wouldn't have to move to new engines.

GTA III - Built from scartch using the Renderware engine
VC, SA - Built on GTAIII code using Renderware engine
LCS, VCS - Built on GTAIII code using an early form of RAGE which emulated Renderware
IV - Built from scratch using RAGE and Euphoria Physics engine
I didn't know LCS and VCS used an early version of RAGE. Thanks for the info.