Go Back   GTAGaming Forums > Grand Theft Auto > Grand Theft Auto IV
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Closed Thread

Old 06-09-2008   #16
Tendercrisp
Hi.

Tendercrisp is a splendid one to beholdTendercrisp is a splendid one to beholdTendercrisp is a splendid one to beholdTendercrisp is a splendid one to beholdTendercrisp is a splendid one to beholdTendercrisp is a splendid one to beholdTendercrisp is a splendid one to beholdTendercrisp is a splendid one to beholdTendercrisp is a splendid one to beholdTendercrisp is a splendid one to beholdTendercrisp is a splendid one to behold
Quote:
Originally Posted by Himuro View Post
You are forgetting this is a sandbox game, not an action game that happens to take place in a big world.

Is that the definition of GTA I see highlighted there?

Although I agree. This wasn't your best video brotha.

Last edited by Tendercrisp; 06-09-2008 at 06:09 PM..
Old 06-09-2008   #17
rappo
Professional Dumbass

rappo is a God.rappo is a God.rappo is a God.rappo is a God.rappo is a God.rappo is a God.rappo is a God.rappo is a God.rappo is a God.rappo is a God.rappo is a God.
That was an awesome video, Brotha! Thanks for sharing, I put it on the homepage
Old 06-09-2008   #18
phreak
wsup den

phreak has much to be proud ofphreak has much to be proud ofphreak has much to be proud ofphreak has much to be proud ofphreak has much to be proud ofphreak has much to be proud ofphreak has much to be proud ofphreak has much to be proud ofphreak has much to be proud ofphreak has much to be proud ofphreak has much to be proud of
Quote:
You are forgetting this is a sandbox game, not an action game that happens to take place in a big world. In GTAIII, VC and SA you could do all of this: rob houses, pimping missions, gun shooting machines at the gun shops, taxi missions, ambulance missions, vigilante missions, fire ambulance, pizza delivery, character customization, car customization, gang turf wars, gambling, property, house/apartment buying, driving and boat school among other thing to toy around with like jets, jetpacks, numerous weapons that aren't in IV. On top of this, doing each side mission rendered you a reward, whether it be fireproof via beating the firetruck missions, or something cool at your safehouse via every 10 hidden packages/tiki's you collect.

So yes, you are missing something. The amount of content removed from previous GTA's in IV is ridiculous, unwarranted, and entirely nonsensical.
I actually agree with you on this. But I'm not going to "rebel" against Rockstar and go to a rival game because of the little things like that. Instead, I'll just play other games. MGS4 is coming, and I also want to buy GRID, Ninja Gaiden II, skate (old but who cares) and other games coming at the end of the year (GeOW2, Resistance 2, Motorstorm PR, etc). There's a shitload of games coming for both 360 and PS3 and as great as GTA IV, it DID get stale at the end because of the lack of all the stuff mentioned above. But you can't doubt the game too much, it is what it is. Hopefully we'll see some of the things we love added back in the next GTA.
Old 06-09-2008   #19
Chrissy_Lad
BooYaa...its Batman...

Chrissy_Lad is an unknown quantity at this point
Nice work mate.. ++ rep
Old 06-09-2008   #20
Ash_735

Ash_735 has a reputation beyond reputeAsh_735 has a reputation beyond reputeAsh_735 has a reputation beyond reputeAsh_735 has a reputation beyond reputeAsh_735 has a reputation beyond reputeAsh_735 has a reputation beyond reputeAsh_735 has a reputation beyond reputeAsh_735 has a reputation beyond reputeAsh_735 has a reputation beyond reputeAsh_735 has a reputation beyond reputeAsh_735 has a reputation beyond repute
Quote:
You are forgetting this is a sandbox game, not an action game that happens to take place in a big world. In GTAIII, VC and SA you could do all of this:
rob houses, pimping missions, gun shooting machines at the gun shops, taxi missions, ambulance missions, vigilante missions, fire ambulance, pizza delivery, character customization, car customization, gang turf wars, gambling, property, house/apartment buying, driving and boat school among other thing to toy around with like jets, jetpacks, numerous weapons that aren't in IV.

The ones in Bold were only in San Andreas and couldn't be done in III or VC.
The ones in Italics were introduced in Vice City and couldn't be done in III and might not be in San Andreas.
The ones Underlined ARE in GTAIV.

Just for the hell of it, here are features of GTA III that can be done in GTA IV: Collecting Cars, Races, just for the heck of it, Drug Deliveries too.

Quote:
On top of this, doing each side mission rendered you a reward, whether it be fireproof via beating the firetruck missions, or something cool at your safehouse via every 10 hidden packages/tiki's you collect.
Ahh, only looking at the negatives and not the positives, where in GTA III, VC, SA can you call for a Taxi to take you anywhere on the map? Call for a mini gun store to be drove near you when you want? Call for a Helicopter ride to any helipad around the city? Call to place car bombs? Only one that was similar is the call for backup option which could be connected to Gang Members in San Andreas or the Bodyguards in Vice City.

Tsk tsk, people always prefer to point out the negatives. NOTE: Yes I do know about the Taxi Missions and that they stop at certain points.
Old 06-09-2008   #21
Himuro
These boots are made for walking

Himuro has a spectacular aura aboutHimuro has a spectacular aura aboutHimuro has a spectacular aura aboutHimuro has a spectacular aura aboutHimuro has a spectacular aura aboutHimuro has a spectacular aura aboutHimuro has a spectacular aura aboutHimuro has a spectacular aura aboutHimuro has a spectacular aura aboutHimuro has a spectacular aura aboutHimuro has a spectacular aura about
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tendercrisp View Post
Is that the definition of GTA I see highlighted there?

Although I agree. This wasn't your best video brotha.
Normal action games tend to take place in linear, strict, and scripted environments. GTA, however, is a sandbox game. There is a big difference.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ash_735 View Post
rob houses, pimping missions, gun shooting machines at the gun shops, taxi missions, ambulance missions, vigilante missions, fire ambulance, pizza delivery, character customization, car customization, gang turf wars, gambling, property, house/apartment buying, driving and boat school among other thing to toy around with like jets, jetpacks, numerous weapons that aren't in IV.

The ones in Bold were only in San Andreas and couldn't be done in III or VC.
The ones in Italics were introduced in Vice City and couldn't be done in III and might not be in San Andreas.
The ones Underlined ARE in GTAIV.

Just for the hell of it, here are features of GTA III that can be done in GTA IV: Collecting Cars, Races, just for the heck of it, Drug Deliveries too.

Ahh, only looking at the negatives and not the positives, where in GTA III, VC, SA can you call for a Taxi to take you anywhere on the map? Call for a mini gun store to be drove near you when you want? Call for a Helicopter ride to any helipad around the city? Call to place car bombs? Only one that was similar is the call for backup option which could be connected to Gang Members in San Andreas or the Bodyguards in Vice City.

Tsk tsk, people always prefer to point out the negatives. NOTE: Yes I do know about the Taxi Missions and that they stop at certain points.
The taxi missions in IV are watered down pieces of shit, only vigilante missions are of note. That's pathetic. What positives? Taxi's are a bad thing about IV. I started to take the taxi more than I drove because the map was entirely too big. For a game called Grand Theft Auto, that should be uncalled for. Little Jacob's car route was mostly out of my way 95% of the times. I preferred it when the cities were far smaller, and it only took a few seconds to get to an ammunation and I didn't have to rely on an unreliable car service to bring me guns. And what's the point of car bombs if majority of the missions are scripted and I have little use for car bombs? I mostly didn't even need gang members with me in IV.

We focus on the negatives because the rewards in IV are mostly shit. Why should I micromanage relationships once I get them at 100% to keep these abilities anyways? In the older ones, once you had an ability, you had it forever. No bullshit.

Last edited by Himuro; 06-09-2008 at 07:07 PM..
Old 06-09-2008   #22
Telk

Telk is an unknown quantity at this point
Cool vid. But why do all this awesome stuff when the only really cool thing you found was falling off a bike or watching a trailer. Still awesome vid.
Old 06-09-2008   #23
dokujitsu
GTA addict since 2001

dokujitsu has a spectacular aura aboutdokujitsu has a spectacular aura aboutdokujitsu has a spectacular aura aboutdokujitsu has a spectacular aura aboutdokujitsu has a spectacular aura aboutdokujitsu has a spectacular aura aboutdokujitsu has a spectacular aura aboutdokujitsu has a spectacular aura aboutdokujitsu has a spectacular aura aboutdokujitsu has a spectacular aura aboutdokujitsu has a spectacular aura about
Lightbulb

That was pretty good. If you feel up to making another one tho... I have an idea.

In the other thread about how the SR2 trailer is taking a shot at GTA4, I posted the following:

Quote:
Originally Posted by dokujitsu View Post
Alright, let's break down the trailer.

-Stealing a septic truck and spraying peds.
Kind of like a firetruck with the hose... which has been around since GTA3. But it's poo! It's DIFFERENT AND SICK!

-Throwing bodies
This is one thing that IS actually different. Kind of out there to chuck a body 15 feet like that but whatever. It's a game.

-Dress up like a cop and rob a liquor store
Vice City.

-Streak in public
Ok, your character has no clothes and you run around? WOW that'll be entertaining for 5 - 10 minutes.

-Cage fighting
Fighting in a ring. Ok, not seeing the fun here. I can street fight anywhere, right? I guess you earn money that way?

-Run security for local celebs
That looked like a cutscene from a mission. Again, Vice City w/ Lovefist.

-Base jumping
San Andreas

-Car surfing
Every GTA since 3, but these guys actually made it part of the game.

-Trail blaze and demoliton derbys
Vice and SA again

-Flying
SA

Summed up, it's all the best parts of GTA ripped into one game with some unoriginal extras. Awesome, THQ. Awesome.
You could take clips from the other GTA's and match them up with the SR2 trailer!

Example: Show monster trucks and ATVs from San Andreas, then show the clip from the SR2. Car surfing in GTA, then show SR2. Firetruck in GTA, septic in SR2. You get the idea.

The overall theme could be "Saints Row 2. Been there, GTA'ed that."
Old 06-09-2008   #24
grittack
L1 Grittack

grittack is on a distinguished roadgrittack is on a distinguished road
awesome video, coulda added more to it, but still awesome

great job. +rep
Old 06-09-2008   #25
Ash_735

Ash_735 has a reputation beyond reputeAsh_735 has a reputation beyond reputeAsh_735 has a reputation beyond reputeAsh_735 has a reputation beyond reputeAsh_735 has a reputation beyond reputeAsh_735 has a reputation beyond reputeAsh_735 has a reputation beyond reputeAsh_735 has a reputation beyond reputeAsh_735 has a reputation beyond reputeAsh_735 has a reputation beyond reputeAsh_735 has a reputation beyond repute
Quote:
The taxi missions in IV are watered down pieces of shit, only vigilante missions are of note. That's pathetic. What positives? Taxi's are a bad thing about IV. I started to take the taxi more than I drove because the map was entirely too big. For a game called Grand Theft Auto, that should be uncalled for. Little Jacob's car route was mostly out of my way 95% of the times. I preferred it when the cities were far smaller, and it only took a few seconds to get to an ammunation and I didn't have to rely on an unreliable car service to bring me guns. And what's the point of car bombs if majority of the missions are scripted and I have little use for car bombs? I mostly didn't even need gang members with me in IV.

We focus on the negatives because the rewards in IV are mostly shit. Why should I micromanage relationships once I get them at 100% to keep these abilities anyways? In the older ones, once you had an ability, you had it forever. No bullshit.
Again with the negatives, talk about having a one side view. The Vigilante missions are much improved over the old system, dare I say it, I like having to look up the computer and choose what crime I want to tackle, if I just want some quick money, street walkers are an easy target, if I want a challenge, I'll choose the getaway drivers or drug deals going down because they put up a fight, having the choice to choose what you go after is a real breath of life compared to previous GTA games where you HAD to do 12 mission in a row and HAD to do what they said.

You say Taxis are a bad thing, yet you use them because you complain the map is too big? Yet you prefer the San Andreas map? Seriously if that isn't trolling I don't know what is, I have no way to answer that, The city is too big? Boo hoo, it's barely a 1/5th the size of New York, San Fiero and Las Venturas in San Andreas were piss pathetic poor and extremely small, if you prefer them then you're really going against the flow because they were terrible. I'd rather have one huge city than one medium sized city and two pathetic small ones.

A few seconds to get to Ammunation? Depends where you are, there are guns shops in GTA IV too, do you not count those because they don't have huge neon signs out front saying "AMMU-Nation"? I can't speak for everyone, but Taxi and Guns are services that I abuse in GTA IV, I always need to keep my guns loaded and have Body Armour on, and Taxi just in case I want to skip across the map in seconds. I fail to see how it's "Unreliable" when it's always worked for me.

Once friends are at 100%, when they call you, accept, then cancel, there, nothing hard, you don't lose % and you can abuse the services all or as little as you want. Apart from what I've said, you're extremely confused, I'd put you down as a Troll or just someone who is extremely negative about everything in GTA IV.
Old 06-09-2008   #26
phlipp
Mmmm, Onions

phlipp is on a distinguished roadphlipp is on a distinguished roadphlipp is on a distinguished roadphlipp is on a distinguished roadphlipp is on a distinguished road
dude
ive been a fan of all your gta vids
and i gotta give you mad props for this vid
well served
++++ rep
Old 06-09-2008   #27
Lukeyy19
Sophisticated Silliness

Lukeyy19 is a splendid one to beholdLukeyy19 is a splendid one to beholdLukeyy19 is a splendid one to beholdLukeyy19 is a splendid one to beholdLukeyy19 is a splendid one to beholdLukeyy19 is a splendid one to beholdLukeyy19 is a splendid one to beholdLukeyy19 is a splendid one to beholdLukeyy19 is a splendid one to beholdLukeyy19 is a splendid one to beholdLukeyy19 is a splendid one to behold
Quote:
Originally Posted by dokujitsu View Post
That was pretty good. If you feel up to making another one tho... I have an idea.

In the other thread about how the SR2 trailer is taking a shot at GTA4, I posted the following:

You could take clips from the other GTA's and match them up with the SR2 trailer!

Example: Show monster trucks and ATVs from San Andreas, then show the clip from the SR2. Car surfing in GTA, then show SR2. Firetruck in GTA, septic in SR2. You get the idea.

The overall theme could be "Saints Row 2. Been there, GTA'ed that."
Dude! you're onto something!

i would give that video a go, but lol it seems like it could take a while (having to play though Vice City), but you never know, if i get bored...

Last edited by Lukeyy19; 06-09-2008 at 07:46 PM..
Old 06-09-2008   #28
Himuro

Himuro has a spectacular aura aboutHimuro has a spectacular aura aboutHimuro has a spectacular aura aboutHimuro has a spectacular aura aboutHimuro has a spectacular aura aboutHimuro has a spectacular aura aboutHimuro has a spectacular aura aboutHimuro has a spectacular aura aboutHimuro has a spectacular aura aboutHimuro has a spectacular aura aboutHimuro has a spectacular aura about
Quote:
Originally Posted by ash_735 View Post
Again with the negatives, talk about having a one side view. The Vigilante missions are much improved over the old system, dare I say it, I like having to look up the computer and choose what crime I want to tackle, if I just want some quick money, street walkers are an easy target, if I want a challenge, I'll choose the getaway drivers or drug deals going down because they put up a fight, having the choice to choose what you go after is a real breath of life compared to previous GTA games where you HAD to do 12 mission in a row and HAD to do what they said.

You say Taxis are a bad thing, yet you use them because you complain the map is too big? Yet you prefer the San Andreas map? Seriously if that isn't trolling I don't know what is, I have no way to answer that, The city is too big? Boo hoo, it's barely a 1/5th the size of New York, San Fiero and Las Venturas in San Andreas were piss pathetic poor and extremely small, if you prefer them then you're really going against the flow because they were terrible. I'd rather have one huge city than one medium sized city and two pathetic small ones.

A few seconds to get to Ammunation? Depends where you are, there are guns shops in GTA IV too, do you not count those because they don't have huge neon signs out front saying "AMMU-Nation"? I can't speak for everyone, but Taxi and Guns are services that I abuse in GTA IV, I always need to keep my guns loaded and have Body Armour on, and Taxi just in case I want to skip across the map in seconds. I fail to see how it's "Unreliable" when it's always worked for me.

Once friends are at 100%, when they call you, accept, then cancel, there, nothing hard, you don't lose % and you can abuse the services all or as little as you want. Apart from what I've said, you're extremely confused, I'd put you down as a Troll or just someone who is extremely negative about everything in GTA IV.
I'm not overly negative, I think you're an apologist. I like the radio, I like some of the characters. But the stuff that really matters was given a hefty downgrade.
Old 06-09-2008   #29
Ash_735

Quote:
I'm not overly negative, I think you're an apologist. I like the radio, I like some of the characters. But the stuff that really matters was given a hefty downgrade.
It just gets me when people complain and moan about the game calling it a downgrade and crap because they have rose tinted glasses of San Andreas on. As a long time player of GTA games since GTA1, that bundle of junk in San Andreas isn't what matters in my mind and I've learned to appreciate every GTA game for it's aspects and aims, and GTA IV does well in this field and shoot me if you like, but I enjoyed it, god forbid someone on a GTA fansite enjoy the latest GTA game.
Old 06-09-2008   #30
Himuro

It's not crap, but it IS a step back. How can you not see that? I'm not even talking about San Andreas. I'm talking about past 3d gta's as a whole. I played III 3 times the past year since IV's first trailer, and Vice City 1 and a half times. So I'm comparing the games straight up, with no nostalgia, I'm comparing them feature wise and game design wise. GTAIV is the weaker sandbox game. If it came out during the ps2 generation it would been considered the weakest, but since this game has the flash, the pretty graphics, the physics, people are saying it's the best.

Last edited by Himuro; 06-09-2008 at 07:46 PM..
Closed Thread