Go Back   GTAGaming Forums > Grand Theft Auto > Grand Theft Auto IV > Troubleshooting & Technology
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Old 05-15-2008   #1
bigbro
Banned
Banned

bigbro is infamous around these partsbigbro is infamous around these partsbigbro is infamous around these parts
How to get best graphics on PS3 , HDTV 1080p settings??

I have a HDTV 52 inches that support all that HD stuff , 480p, 720p, 1080i and p. But I saw somewhere on forums that if you want 1080p , you have to check only 1080p in the output resolution menu of the PS3, if you check them all , the game will boot in 720p, another one wrote that you have to check 480p and 1080p to get true 1080p . So what's the deal with that , does someone knows for sure what you have to do to get the best graphics?? Just to clear that up, in the current output resolution menu of the PS3 , you have all the resolutions and you check those that your TV support. 480i standard is always checked you can't uncheck it. Then 480p, 720p, 1080i, 1080p, what I did originally was check them all since my TV support them all, and I thought I was getting 1080p since it said current output resolution 1080p, but checking them all gets the game to boot in 720p??? So if I want the best, which I suppose is 1080p, do I check only 1080p or check 480p and 1080p, help me on this.
bigbro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2008   #2
DJ Nick
Hellloooo

DJ Nick will become famous soon enoughDJ Nick will become famous soon enoughDJ Nick will become famous soon enoughDJ Nick will become famous soon enoughDJ Nick will become famous soon enoughDJ Nick will become famous soon enoughDJ Nick will become famous soon enough
Well, forcing the game to load in 1080p will, supposivly, give you worse quality than having it in 720p, because the game will always render in 720p, then it gets upscaled to 1080p, so it may be blurry.
But, if you wish to test this theory out, then when configuring your PS3 display settings, only check the 1080p option, don't check 1080i, 720p and any other resolution (apart from the one which you can't untick, thats a given).
That should force the game to run in 1080p.
DJ Nick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2008   #3
Thundercracker

Thundercracker has a reputation beyond reputeThundercracker has a reputation beyond reputeThundercracker has a reputation beyond reputeThundercracker has a reputation beyond reputeThundercracker has a reputation beyond reputeThundercracker has a reputation beyond reputeThundercracker has a reputation beyond reputeThundercracker has a reputation beyond reputeThundercracker has a reputation beyond reputeThundercracker has a reputation beyond reputeThundercracker has a reputation beyond repute
This is entirely up to your TV. Play in 720p and then in 1080p and see which looks better. 720p will be upscaled on your TV to its native resolution (1080p). Choosing 1080p on your PS3 will cause the PS3 to scale the image to 1080p.

Keep in mind that choosing to let your PS3 upscale to 1080p may cause some slight (highly unnoticeable) delay based on your TV's response time. For example, If you notice a very small delay between you using your controller and the action on the screen, then you should use 720p.
Thundercracker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2008   #4
Evi1d33d

Evi1d33d can only hope to improve
One of the things in 360 vs PS3 comparisons is the colors and saturation. That can be easily fixed by adjusting your TV's settings.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Olin View Post
This is entirely up to your TV. Play in 720p and then in 1080p and see which looks better. 720p will be upscaled on your TV to its native resolution (1080p). Choosing 1080p on your PS3 will cause the PS3 to scale the image to 1080p.

Keep in mind that choosing to let your PS3 upscale to 1080p may cause some slight (highly unnoticeable) delay based on your TV's response time. For example, If you notice a very small delay between you using your controller and the action on the screen, then you should use 720p.
If anything upscaling on the TV will cause more delay since it's designed for normal TV viewing where response time is less important.
Evi1d33d is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2008   #5
Thundercracker

Thundercracker has a reputation beyond reputeThundercracker has a reputation beyond reputeThundercracker has a reputation beyond reputeThundercracker has a reputation beyond reputeThundercracker has a reputation beyond reputeThundercracker has a reputation beyond reputeThundercracker has a reputation beyond reputeThundercracker has a reputation beyond reputeThundercracker has a reputation beyond reputeThundercracker has a reputation beyond reputeThundercracker has a reputation beyond repute
Now that I think about it, I'm pretty sure a lot of TVs don't resize the image at all and display it as is (same with a lot of PC monitors). Too lazy to read up on that though.
Thundercracker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2008   #6
Ash_735

Ash_735 has a reputation beyond reputeAsh_735 has a reputation beyond reputeAsh_735 has a reputation beyond reputeAsh_735 has a reputation beyond reputeAsh_735 has a reputation beyond reputeAsh_735 has a reputation beyond reputeAsh_735 has a reputation beyond reputeAsh_735 has a reputation beyond reputeAsh_735 has a reputation beyond reputeAsh_735 has a reputation beyond reputeAsh_735 has a reputation beyond repute
The delay of upscaling though, seriously, is about a fraction of a milasecond, on most modern TVs anyway. Most TV's today have 8ms as Standard, that's 8ms all round including upscaling and timing from getting from source to display.
Ash_735 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2008   #7
scott
....whuuuut?

scott has much to be proud ofscott has much to be proud ofscott has much to be proud ofscott has much to be proud ofscott has much to be proud ofscott has much to be proud ofscott has much to be proud ofscott has much to be proud ofscott has much to be proud ofscott has much to be proud ofscott has much to be proud of
Quote:
Originally Posted by Olin View Post
(highly unnoticeable)
For everyone except your insane eyes!

I play on 1080p, and while I haven't played it on 720p theres nothing noticeably horrible about it. The only thing I've found is because my TV has true blacks, when its dark, its really fuckin dark.
scott is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2010   #8
DuesX187
Newbie Member

DuesX187 is an unknown quantity at this point
The smartest solution

Honestly if you really want your games to appear as their best and/or as the game developers intended them to look, select 720p and 1080p, and the tv will automatically detect which one is meant to be used for each game. I can personally say from experience, upscaling can make games look like shytt, don't do it.
DuesX187 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2010   #9
WiM
All for one.

WiM is a jewel in the roughWiM is a jewel in the roughWiM is a jewel in the roughWiM is a jewel in the roughWiM is a jewel in the roughWiM is a jewel in the roughWiM is a jewel in the roughWiM is a jewel in the roughWiM is a jewel in the roughWiM is a jewel in the roughWiM is a jewel in the rough
I think I can explain this best with GTA IV or Assassin's Creed III as an example. If you look on the back of the case, you'll notice it says "720p, 1080i and 1080p", but if you have every option ticked, it'll run on 720p. This is because game developers chose to do so, because they thought it gave the best image. Playing a game in 1080p makes your framerate drop. This is not very noticeable with AC II, because the PS3 version (sadly) already suffers from screen tearing, but the difference is noticeable with GTA IV, especially in car chases, etc...

Developers have had this problem for a while. They can't seem to figure out how to get a game running at a 1920x1080 resolution at 60fps. (If consoles nowadays had better graphics cards, this would not be a problem.) This is why game developers sometimes choose 720p ONLY (look at Uncharted 1 and 2, Fallout 3, MGS 4, ...), because they think smooth gameplay (60 fps) is more important than a high resolution.

Setting your PS3 to 1080p ONLY does bring one problem with it. If you play 720p only games (like the above mentioned), your PS3 will choose 480p (the one you can't untick), because 720p is not ticked and the game is not built to run at 1080p. I tried this with NFS Shift a few months ago and no matter how I set the settings, it would always go to the lowest resolution.
Personally, I stick with 720p, because I also prefer smooth gameplay to a high resolution. Of course, your TV is significantly bigger than mine, so try a few things out.

[Also, I really don't see a big difference between 720p and 1080p, on both GTA IV and AC II. It's there, but it's not a big difference.]
WiM is offline   Reply With Quote