Go Back   GTAGaming Forums > Grand Theft Auto > Grand Theft Auto IV
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Old 05-08-2008   #1
raikkonen

raikkonen is infamous around these partsraikkonen is infamous around these partsraikkonen is infamous around these partsraikkonen is infamous around these parts
Draw distance of PS3 vs Xbox360

which is the best? i saw some reviews that 360 has the best draw distance for GTA 4... but i want to hear it from you not from those bias gametrailers or some!
raikkonen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2008   #2
mmafighter
Hit em' hard

mmafighter is on a distinguished roadmmafighter is on a distinguished road
Ya know man, im not to sure. I saw my buddy playing on his ps3 (i have a 360) and i thought they were about the same. Granted he was on the ground not in a helicopter, so im not too sure about that part. I get a little pissed cause sometimes my textures dont load on the roads and sides of buildings sometimes. You have to sit there for a sec, and then it pops up. And peds and random things on the ground can popup as well. Does anybody else have the texture issue?

Oh, and sometimes my game will just randomly freeze for a few seconds, then come back. And also if the textures dont load, sometimes a message will come up saying that the disk is unreadable. Does anybody else have these issues? thnx
Old 05-08-2008   #3
yimpat
Registered Loser

yimpat is on a distinguished roadyimpat is on a distinguished road
ive experienced minor pop-in on my 360 but not much pop-in from textures just the occasional object.I do get very rare freezing for at the most a second at a time.Havent ever got disk unreadable tho.

as for which has the better draw distance i hav also herd it was 360 but nothin noticeable.
yimpat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2008   #4
unFunGames
Newbie Member

unFunGames can only hope to improve
pop-in will be based on memory. objects will appear at a certain distance based on the amount of available RAM. the 360 has more RAM than the PS3, since the 360's video and system memory is shared. The 360 can access 512 MB while the PS3 can access 256. Now, the 360 has to use a lot of that for texture memory, but the texture/draw memory wont go above 256 (since, if it does, the PS3 wouldnt have enough video memory for the textures/rendering the screen). So this means that, on cross-platform games, the 360 WILL have more system memory available. With that said, any game on both systems that uses the same models and textures would have worse pop-in on the PS3.
unFunGames is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2008   #5
randomhero
MMFWCL
Amateur Member

randomhero is an unknown quantity at this point
i Cant say, Mostly because i dont have a 360... But i haven't experienced any pop-ups or anything like that, Or any Bad textures (if there is any?)
randomhero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2008   #6
bonesmccoy
Sabotage

bonesmccoy is an unknown quantity at this point
Quote:
Originally Posted by unFunGames View Post
With that said, any game on both systems that uses the same models and textures would have worse pop-in on the PS3.
Um, not really. The 360 has 'worse' visuals than the PS3 version - this has been confirmed by everyone. But! I use the scare quotes around the word worse because it's only slightly, and I mean ever so slightly, worse on the 360. I use the word 'worse' because both versions have pop-in, aliasing and draw distances issues.

And whjat you're actually talking about is ported games, not cross-platform games. If any game is developed on one system, and then ported over to another at a later date, the port usually isn't a stand alone development like the first one. GTAIV was built on a PC, and then tailored each system.
bonesmccoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2008   #7
Jakenz
Neg rep me please i need the most

Jakenz is infamous around these partsJakenz is infamous around these partsJakenz is infamous around these partsJakenz is infamous around these partsJakenz is infamous around these partsJakenz is infamous around these partsJakenz is infamous around these parts
i only got GTA IV on 360 because i couldnt get it on PC. im sure it will be mind blowing on PC. because you can customize all of your graphics settings etc. so yeah im not too bothered how it looks right now im just playing it for the great story online and gameplay. will get it on PC when it shows up
Gigabyte GA-965P-DQ6 Intel P965

-780 point(s) from 193 reps (59 positive, 121 negative, 13 neutral lol
Jakenz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2008   #8
TONY_ak47
WarofArt

TONY_ak47 is an unknown quantity at this point
So far, I have not once seen, AN OBJECT, pop in. I have however in a heli seen a texture for a sign "pop in", but never an object. I have the PS3 version.
Old 05-09-2008   #9
X-reS
Looks better in real life.

X-reS is a splendid one to beholdX-reS is a splendid one to beholdX-reS is a splendid one to beholdX-reS is a splendid one to beholdX-reS is a splendid one to beholdX-reS is a splendid one to beholdX-reS is a splendid one to beholdX-reS is a splendid one to beholdX-reS is a splendid one to beholdX-reS is a splendid one to beholdX-reS is a splendid one to behold
I have the PS3 version, and I was playing the 360 version today, And the only difference I notice was the colors.