Go Back   GTAGaming Forums > Grand Theft Auto > Grand Theft Auto IV > Multiplayer
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Old 05-07-2008   #1
unFunGames
Newbie Member

unFunGames can only hope to improve
cant connect to everyone? heres a new solution

So, your NAT says open but you STILL cant connect to everyone on xbox live? So did I. and i spent an entire YEAR trying to figure out how to fix it.

there were all kinds of wacky solutions....forward ports, set your xbox 360 to have a static IP, turn on upnp

but what was strange is that all of these solutions (except the static IP one) should be built into your broadband. Why would your ISP have upnp turned off?

The answer is that they're scared of being liable for the stupid things you do online. they dont want the headaches, so all these spiffy new broadband modems that are coming out have all kinds of absurd junk built into them to stop you from doing the things you want to do. Some of it is protection for you, which you might need if you're an idiot, but MOST of it is garabge.

So, how do you fix it? You bridge the modem. This will cancel out all of the junk that comes on your modem that stops you from connecting to everyone.

Not all modems can be bridged, but I assume most of the new ones can. I birdged my Embarq 660 DSL modem and now I can connect to everyone. I got into 10 straight COD3 games, and COD3 is a great test because you must be able to connect to every single player in the game to get in.

If your NAT is completely open you can connect to anyone. if not, you'll get dropped out of pretty much every ranked GTA match you try to join (because it, like COD3, also forces yuo to connect to all players).

Bridging your modem is a one-stop solution to fix everything.
unFunGames is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2008   #2
Raziel 665
Newbie Member

Raziel 665 is an unknown quantity at this point
Could you maybe post a link to a guide which shows you how to bridge a modem, cause I know quite a few people who could really use this. Right now playing GTA IV online is a joke cause of all the problems connecting with friends.

They all have modems that don't allow any port changes and resets all changes after a few days as "security".
Raziel 665 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2008   #3
california6066
Jai Kim [[Ching Mafia Boss]] ww.CHINGMAFIA.co.nr

california6066 is infamous around these partscalifornia6066 is infamous around these partscalifornia6066 is infamous around these partscalifornia6066 is infamous around these partscalifornia6066 is infamous around these parts
Thanks for your input, and thanks for the information
california6066 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2008   #4
picklemonkey
Newbie Member

picklemonkey is an unknown quantity at this point
would appreciate any other info you can give on this. specifics on how it can be done maybe
picklemonkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2008   #5
SimonS
Pffft.

SimonS is a glorious beacon of lightSimonS is a glorious beacon of lightSimonS is a glorious beacon of lightSimonS is a glorious beacon of lightSimonS is a glorious beacon of lightSimonS is a glorious beacon of lightSimonS is a glorious beacon of lightSimonS is a glorious beacon of lightSimonS is a glorious beacon of lightSimonS is a glorious beacon of lightSimonS is a glorious beacon of light
why make a post mentioning it.............if you dont explain / provide links
Old 05-08-2008   #6
unFunGames
Newbie Member

Every modem is going to be different. You need to contact your ISP. They'll know how to do this.

You can try a few things though that might get it done without a phone call

First, connect the modem directly to your PC. Then you'll need to log into the modem's control panel. Try putting 192.168.1.1 into your IE/Firefox browser. If that doesnt work try a few alternates such as 192.168.2.1 or 192.168.1.2....if your modem needs to be bridged then it HAS to have a control panel of some sorts, and these are all accessed through web browsers.

Once inside, look around for something that lets you set the modem to bridged mode. There should be a control in that page somewhere. Once the modem is bridged you wont be able to directly connect the modem to a device. You'll need to run it through your router. So, dont freak out when the internet stops working. Just plug the modem back into the router and all will be fixed.

If your modem cant be bridged, it's more than likely your router. Directly connect your modem to the Xbox 360/PS3 and see if it works. If it does, then you need to get a router that's more compatible with Xbox Live. There are a slight few out there that cause NAT problems, but MOST of the NAT problems are caused by broadband modems.

One more thing you can try is looking around in your router/modem control panels and finding upnp options. Make sure upnp is turned on as this is required to play on Xbox Live.
Old 05-08-2008   #7
Sinister747
Newbie Member

Sinister747 is an unknown quantity at this point
I have tried the below method (although i have two Ethernet Ports) so i just ran a cable from the Xbox to the PC and then bridged the connections.

I havn't been able to join deathmatch all day, and now i can however i can't join Cops and Robbers.. i can not say if it has really worked or not, but feel free to try it;

Quote:
The first step is to create a network bridge between your PC and Xbox. The best way to perform this is to use a desktop PC with 2 ethernet ports. A computer with an ethernet port and a wireless card will work, but the additional lag from the wireless connection is hardly desirable when you can buy a second ethernet card for $5. In one of your PC's ethernet ports you should attach a crossover cable from the PC to your Xbox. Once connected go to the "Network Connections" panel in Windows. Find your connection to the internet and your connection to your Xbox. Highlight both connections then right-click and choose "Bridge Connections." After a few seconds the connection should bridge and you should now be able to sign onto Xbox Live (XBL) via your new network bridge. At this point you should try signing onto XBL with your Xbox to ensure everything is working properly.
Also bare in mind, it will take a little while for the Bride to work correctly, also you will have to run a Connection Test on the Xbox for it to Reconfigure the settings.. and when i started GTA it disconnected me from Xbox Live but then quickly reconnected me (i am presuming it was configuring my settings)

Goodluck
Sinister747 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2008   #8
unFunGames
Newbie Member

^ whoa whoa whoa...that is NOT the type of bridging I'm talking about. That is for people that dont have routers that want to have their PC and 360 hooked up at the same time.
Old 05-09-2008   #9
picklemonkey
Newbie Member

I think I might've stumbled on a potential solution... I set my PS3 to a static IP on my router and added that IP to the DMZ. I played a bunch last night and saw no connection issues, but one night might be too early to tell. Will know for sure this weekend if it really made a good impact
Old 05-09-2008   #10
unFunGames
Newbie Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by picklemonkey View Post
I think I might've stumbled on a potential solution... I set my PS3 to a static IP on my router and added that IP to the DMZ. I played a bunch last night and saw no connection issues, but one night might be too early to tell. Will know for sure this weekend if it really made a good impact
Setting a static IP for your console is a similar solution to what I described. That static IP usually wont be covered by a router or modem problem since it resides outside of the rules that apply to "all" IP addresses.
Old 05-10-2008   #11
Colonelkillgore
Newbie Member

Colonelkillgore is an unknown quantity at this point
and how might one go about setting up their PS3 with a static IP? I have a BT home hub for the record, and neither of the ethernet ports are available for use with the PS3 which is connected wirelessly. The wireless signal is fine though, its only the next room
Colonelkillgore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2008   #12
picklemonkey
Newbie Member

just putting it in my DMZ wasn't enough to fix it, but I made a bunch of changes in my router today and haven't seen any issues since in the ~6 games I've played. give me another day or two and I'll slowly start to remove the ports from my router one by one and undo router settings to try to figure out what exactly was the tipping point.

you should be able to plug your playstation directly into your cable modem and play with no issues until an exact solution is found. you won't have internet on your computers, but you'll have no issues on your PS and you can plug back in when finished for internet again
Old 05-11-2008   #13
Thundercracker

Thundercracker has a reputation beyond reputeThundercracker has a reputation beyond reputeThundercracker has a reputation beyond reputeThundercracker has a reputation beyond reputeThundercracker has a reputation beyond reputeThundercracker has a reputation beyond reputeThundercracker has a reputation beyond reputeThundercracker has a reputation beyond reputeThundercracker has a reputation beyond reputeThundercracker has a reputation beyond reputeThundercracker has a reputation beyond repute
Turn off the DHCP server on your router so all IPs are static (predefined by you). Disable any router firewall or at least enable anonymous WAN requests/pings. Forward the proper ports to your system based on their IP address or (if possible) put the device on DMZ. If you have QoS on your router, configure it so that the gaming system and the ports it requires receive the highest priority on the network.
Thundercracker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2008   #14
picklemonkey
Newbie Member

"Gaming Mode" on my D-Link router (DI-614+) needed to be enabled. Apparently this is the same as selecting between "Full Cone NAT" instead of "Symmetric NAT" (see here http://www.dslreports.com/forum/r194...mend-disabling ). I get the connection could not be established errors only when I have Gaming Mode turned off (or am in Symmetric NAT Mode). It sounds like many D-Link routers have this feature, and it's turned off by default on all of them. I'm not sure what it would be called on any others but it's probably safe to assume it exists in some form or another. Especially if the game works directly plugged in to your modem, but not through your router.

Discard Ping from WAN side - Seems to work either way. I noticed a couple of game lock-ups after enabling this, where I got no error message but instead only saw "Starting game" until I reboot my playstation. Only happened twice during all of testing so I don't think it has any impact, but it couldn't hurt to just leave it turned off so pings get replied to.

Static IP in DMZ - Seems to work ok outside of the DMZ with the below ports forwarded to static IP

Incoming PSN-required ports forwarded directly to Playstation's static IP (virtual server):
TCP 80 - worked with port forwarding on and off (with DMZ turned off and Gaming Mode ON)
TCP 443 - worked with port forwarding on and off (with DMZ turned off and Gaming Mode ON)
TCP 5223 - worked with port forwarding on and off (with DMZ turned off and Gaming Mode ON)
UDP 3478 - worked with port forwarding on and off (with DMZ turned off and Gaming Mode ON)
UDP 3479 - worked with port forwarding on and off (with DMZ turned off and Gaming Mode ON)
UDP 3658 - worked with port forwarding on and off (with DMZ turned off and Gaming Mode ON)
UDP 10070-10080, 50100 (Gran Turismo 5 ports) - worked with port forwarding on and off (with DMZ turned off and Gaming Mode ON)

Also after finding that Gaming Mode made things start working, I did some searching and found this which shows it helped other people too.
http://boardsus.playstation.com/play...sage.id=256395

I'd recommend the static IP, the DMZ, the Gaming Mode ON (aka Full Cone NAT enabled), and the WAN ping replies turned on. I hope this helps anybody!

Last edited by picklemonkey; 05-11-2008 at 12:23 PM..