Go Back   GTAGaming Forums > Grand Theft Auto > Grand Theft Auto IV > Multiplayer
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Old 05-07-2008   #1
SimonS
Pffft.

SimonS is a glorious beacon of lightSimonS is a glorious beacon of lightSimonS is a glorious beacon of lightSimonS is a glorious beacon of lightSimonS is a glorious beacon of lightSimonS is a glorious beacon of lightSimonS is a glorious beacon of lightSimonS is a glorious beacon of lightSimonS is a glorious beacon of lightSimonS is a glorious beacon of lightSimonS is a glorious beacon of light
Still can't join games (360)

Day 3 of trying to play online, and yet again no avail. Honestly, is the only way to join a game through the phone. And is it really that 'Hit and Miss' to just join a simple game of your choice. Surely there's thousands of sessions out there.

Every option on the phone takes me to a new multiplayer game screen.

I do not want to start my own Session.

I want. To. Join. ONE.

Also, isn't there some kind of lobby/ main menu that you can stay on. Getting kicked back to Singleplayer, then reloading, only to be brought back to the Start session screen again is muderous-thought-inducing.

lil help?
Old 05-08-2008   #2
trizzae
Newbie Member

trizzae is an unknown quantity at this point
I have the same problem...it's worked a total of 2 times since the 29th of april. once on cops n robbers (only 4 people connected then) and once on the free roam....both sessions were short and disappointing. Haven't been able to connect consistently at all...all my other multiplayer games work fine. COD4, Halo3, RainbowSix etc...no problems at all. GTA IV? Foggettabout it...very frustrating.
trizzae is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2008   #3
SimonS
Pffft.

SimonS is a glorious beacon of lightSimonS is a glorious beacon of lightSimonS is a glorious beacon of lightSimonS is a glorious beacon of lightSimonS is a glorious beacon of lightSimonS is a glorious beacon of lightSimonS is a glorious beacon of lightSimonS is a glorious beacon of lightSimonS is a glorious beacon of lightSimonS is a glorious beacon of lightSimonS is a glorious beacon of light
Thank god i'm not paying for live, talk about waste of money.

ACTUALLY managed to get into a server lobby for the second time since owning this game, that's twice out of probably 300 tries now. Atrocious, truly.

I got disconnected though, fucking shit. I try to rejoin as quickly as I can and I get cut off during the black loading screen. I try ONCE more and and per usual. I THINKS IM MAKING A NEW SERVER.

Can't anyone shed at least a little light on the situation. And 'look in your network settings' doesn't really help. What am I looking for?

TERRORISTS?
Old 05-09-2008   #4
Neil

Neil has much to be proud ofNeil has much to be proud ofNeil has much to be proud ofNeil has much to be proud ofNeil has much to be proud ofNeil has much to be proud ofNeil has much to be proud ofNeil has much to be proud ofNeil has much to be proud ofNeil has much to be proud ofNeil has much to be proud of
Works fine for me.
Neil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2008   #5
.LiLe.
Buggati Boy

.LiLe. has much to be proud of.LiLe. has much to be proud of.LiLe. has much to be proud of.LiLe. has much to be proud of.LiLe. has much to be proud of.LiLe. has much to be proud of.LiLe. has much to be proud of.LiLe. has much to be proud of.LiLe. has much to be proud of.LiLe. has much to be proud of.LiLe. has much to be proud of
You can also try by doing this: Start your own game, afterwards you do it says in the menu Start a new game by press Back button, press it and it will take you to a hosted game. Thats how I do my rank matches.
Old 05-09-2008   #6
SimonS
Pffft.

So on the screen where you're about to start a new game (where you can edit the game options like map, and other settings) you press the back button it'll take you ye? Or do I actually START my new game so i'm in world, or just the options screen (sounds a bit confusing)

I'll go give it a go, but wouldnt that just start ..my game?
Old 05-09-2008   #7
brandodevil
Newbie Member

brandodevil is an unknown quantity at this point
Omg same problems happenign to me... i made it onlien twice since i bought the game last friday
brandodevil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2008   #8
Pignoah
While you make pretty speeches.

Pignoah has much to be proud ofPignoah has much to be proud ofPignoah has much to be proud ofPignoah has much to be proud ofPignoah has much to be proud ofPignoah has much to be proud ofPignoah has much to be proud ofPignoah has much to be proud ofPignoah has much to be proud ofPignoah has much to be proud ofPignoah has much to be proud of
Quote:
Originally Posted by Neil View Post
Works fine for me.
Same. I admit, a lobby would've been nice, but everything has been fine, no disconnections as of yet.
Old 05-09-2008   #9
.LiLe.
Buggati Boy

.LiLe. has much to be proud of.LiLe. has much to be proud of.LiLe. has much to be proud of.LiLe. has much to be proud of.LiLe. has much to be proud of.LiLe. has much to be proud of.LiLe. has much to be proud of.LiLe. has much to be proud of.LiLe. has much to be proud of.LiLe. has much to be proud of.LiLe. has much to be proud of
Quote:
Originally Posted by SimonS View Post
So on the screen where you're about to start a new game (where you can edit the game options like map, and other settings) you press the back button it'll take you ye? Or do I actually START my new game so i'm in world, or just the options screen (sounds a bit confusing)

I'll go give it a go, but wouldnt that just start ..my game?

When your creating which map 2 choose and all, press Back button and aferwards choose which match you want to start a new 1, it will take you to a host. Thats what I does. Hey add me on XBL ill help you, I can help better when Im talking. Im bad at explaining when writing.
Old 05-09-2008   #10
SimonS
Pffft.

Well after trying lile23's method it worked ...........Only could new players join MY server though. Each time When I try to join someone elses I hear voices on the black loading screen (which must mean i'm entering a server) And I get disconnected every time that happens, which is lame. Although this is the most successful night i've had with GTA, it's still not adequate enough to warrant buying live.

I wonder why it disconnects me, stupid thing

edit: lile yeah that's what I did, got to the screen from the phone, then pressed back and chose a new game mode and people could eventually congreagate. Although 70% of the people kept leaving and coming back again, how do they do that so fast...and connect to the same server they were just in. I wish they could teach me how to do that...
Old 05-09-2008   #11
.LiLe.
Buggati Boy

Glad to help you man, also you can keep repeating the method if you want.
Old 05-09-2008   #12
snappy

snappy is on a distinguished roadsnappy is on a distinguished road
Yeha i get the same crap,, Lost connection to one or more players, returning to single player..

But Ive came to the conclusion its my shitty ISP.. Took my 360 over a buddies house today hooked up to his ISP and was able to join every, and any game i wanted, with only 1 disconnect out of a 2 hour MP session..

Think its mainly due to my modem that i got thro them.. Did some research and found out its a pretty nice Piece Of Crap.. Unfortunately they dont offer any other modems..

So come Monday canceling my current ISP and getting a new one..
Old 05-09-2008   #13
unFunGames
Newbie Member

unFunGames can only hope to improve
Your NAT isnt open. GTA4 requires you to be able to connect to every single person in the game, not just the host. You need to contact your ISP and ask them how to get your NAT fully open. Even if it says in the dashboard that your NAT is open, it isnt.
unFunGames is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2008   #14
picklemonkey
Newbie Member

picklemonkey is an unknown quantity at this point
"Gaming Mode" on my D-Link router (DI-614+) needed to be enabled. Apparently this is the same as selecting between "Full Cone NAT" instead of "Symmetric NAT" (see here http://www.dslreports.com/forum/r194...mend-disabling ). I get the connection could not be established errors only when I have Gaming Mode turned off (or am in Symmetric NAT Mode). It sounds like many D-Link routers have this feature, and it's turned off by default on all of them. I'm not sure what it would be called on any others but it's probably safe to assume it exists in some form or another. Especially if the game works directly plugged in to your modem, but not through your router.

Discard Ping from WAN side - Seems to work either way. I noticed a couple of game lock-ups after enabling this, where I got no error message but instead only saw "Starting game" until I reboot my playstation. Only happened twice during all of testing so I don't think it has any impact, but it couldn't hurt to just leave it turned off so pings get replied to.

Static IP in DMZ - Seems to work ok outside of the DMZ with the below ports forwarded to static IP

Incoming PSN-required ports forwarded directly to Playstation's static IP (virtual server):
TCP 80 - worked with port forwarding on and off (with DMZ turned off and Gaming Mode ON)
TCP 443 - worked with port forwarding on and off (with DMZ turned off and Gaming Mode ON)
TCP 5223 - worked with port forwarding on and off (with DMZ turned off and Gaming Mode ON)
UDP 3478 - worked with port forwarding on and off (with DMZ turned off and Gaming Mode ON)
UDP 3479 - worked with port forwarding on and off (with DMZ turned off and Gaming Mode ON)
UDP 3658 - worked with port forwarding on and off (with DMZ turned off and Gaming Mode ON)
UDP 10070-10080, 50100 (Gran Turismo 5 ports) - worked with port forwarding on and off (with DMZ turned off and Gaming Mode ON)

Also after finding that Gaming Mode made things start working, I did some searching and found this which shows it helped other people too.
http://boardsus.playstation.com/play...sage.id=256395

I'd recommend the static IP, the DMZ, the Gaming Mode ON (aka Full Cone NAT enabled), and the WAN ping replies turned on. I hope this helps anybody!
picklemonkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2008   #15
GTAIV_AK47
Newbie Member

GTAIV_AK47 is an unknown quantity at this point
Did you just post the same thing twice?
GTAIV_AK47 is offline   Reply With Quote