Go Back   GTAGaming Forums > Grand Theft Auto > Grand Theft Auto IV
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Old 05-07-2008   #16
Hateatingpirate
Policeman from Oz

Hateatingpirate is an unknown quantity at this point
You do realise that there isn't always going to be ONE way of pronouncing something...?

I know a Cipriani, and its pronounced "Sip-Pry-Arr-nay"

I know a Belic and its pronounced "Bell-ick".

As for Mladic, there was Mladic in Melbourne's gangland killings pronounced "Mel-Lad-Nick".

In conclusion, I dont see how it matters that much.
Hateatingpirate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2008   #17
victim

victim has a reputation beyond reputevictim has a reputation beyond reputevictim has a reputation beyond reputevictim has a reputation beyond reputevictim has a reputation beyond reputevictim has a reputation beyond reputevictim has a reputation beyond reputevictim has a reputation beyond reputevictim has a reputation beyond reputevictim has a reputation beyond reputevictim has a reputation beyond repute
I might add, in the game, Florian and Darko's surnames both end in the "eech". They were supposedly from Niko's village, so perhaps it's just how everyone else pronounces Niko's last name.
victim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2008   #18
Pablo Escobar Jr.
Veteran Member

Pablo Escobar Jr. has a reputation beyond reputePablo Escobar Jr. has a reputation beyond reputePablo Escobar Jr. has a reputation beyond reputePablo Escobar Jr. has a reputation beyond reputePablo Escobar Jr. has a reputation beyond reputePablo Escobar Jr. has a reputation beyond reputePablo Escobar Jr. has a reputation beyond reputePablo Escobar Jr. has a reputation beyond reputePablo Escobar Jr. has a reputation beyond reputePablo Escobar Jr. has a reputation beyond reputePablo Escobar Jr. has a reputation beyond repute
Yeah sure. My problem is that it's always the Anglo-Saxon way of pronouncing things.

@Victim: Hmmm, good point there. If I see this dude I know, who's from Croatia, I'll ask him.

Hot Buttered Soul
Pablo Escobar Jr. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2008   #19
Sublimo
Drunk Belgian

Sublimo is on a distinguished roadSublimo is on a distinguished roadSublimo is on a distinguished road
Huh
"the ending C" pronounced as "K" is very common you know.
I myself would never tought about bellich ^^
I instantly tought it was Bellik
Old 05-07-2008   #20
Lukeyy19
Sophisticated Silliness
Addicted Member

Lukeyy19 is a splendid one to beholdLukeyy19 is a splendid one to beholdLukeyy19 is a splendid one to beholdLukeyy19 is a splendid one to beholdLukeyy19 is a splendid one to beholdLukeyy19 is a splendid one to beholdLukeyy19 is a splendid one to beholdLukeyy19 is a splendid one to beholdLukeyy19 is a splendid one to beholdLukeyy19 is a splendid one to beholdLukeyy19 is a splendid one to behold
i thought it was Bel-ick too...

thing that got me though, is i thought Niko was pronounced Ny-Ko, but i was wrong.
Old 05-07-2008   #21
Markonious
Niko's cousin

Markonious is on a distinguished roadMarkonious is on a distinguished roadMarkonious is on a distinguished roadMarkonious is on a distinguished road
Well, I'm Croatian so I can shed some light on this matter.
Croatian and Serbian are almost identical languages(in the former state of Yugoslavia the official language was so called Serbian-Croatian,even though Slovenians and Macedonians have their own languages),so when we "want" a surname to end with k,we write it,in this case, Belik. Since Niko's surname is Bellic that is deffinately pronounced Belich and we would write it simply Belić(with a little diagonal stripe on top which means it's pronounced "ch"). I saw a couple of cut-scenes in which it's obvious he is Serbian so there you have it.
Markonious is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2008   #22
Pablo Escobar Jr.
Veteran Member

Pablo Escobar Jr. has a reputation beyond reputePablo Escobar Jr. has a reputation beyond reputePablo Escobar Jr. has a reputation beyond reputePablo Escobar Jr. has a reputation beyond reputePablo Escobar Jr. has a reputation beyond reputePablo Escobar Jr. has a reputation beyond reputePablo Escobar Jr. has a reputation beyond reputePablo Escobar Jr. has a reputation beyond reputePablo Escobar Jr. has a reputation beyond reputePablo Escobar Jr. has a reputation beyond reputePablo Escobar Jr. has a reputation beyond repute
Quote:
Originally Posted by Markonious View Post
Croatian and Serbian are almost identical languages(in the former state of Yugoslavia the official language was so called Serbian-Croatian,even though Slovenians and Macedonians have their own languages),so when we "want" a surname to end with k,we write it,in this case, Belik. Since Niko's surname is Bellic that is deffinately pronounced Belich and we would write it simply Belić(with a little diagonal stripe on top which means it's pronounced "ch"). I saw a couple of cut-scenes in which it's obvious he is Serbian so there you have it.
Ahh look, the opinion from someone who's actually from that region. Thank you. ;p

I WAS RIGHT, I WAS RIGHT ALL ALONG! WOOH!

Hot Buttered Soul
Old 05-07-2008   #23
Sasha

Sasha is a splendid one to beholdSasha is a splendid one to beholdSasha is a splendid one to beholdSasha is a splendid one to beholdSasha is a splendid one to beholdSasha is a splendid one to beholdSasha is a splendid one to beholdSasha is a splendid one to beholdSasha is a splendid one to beholdSasha is a splendid one to beholdSasha is a splendid one to behold
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pablo Escobar Jr. View Post
I think some of the names are pronounced incorrectly.

Judging from ingame conversations, I think Niko Bellic arrived in LC from the Balkan/Adriatic coast region. And Niko Bellic and some others have been talking shit about Albanians. So I guess Niko is Croatian, Bosnian or Montenegrian.

I personally know Croatian/Bosnian people, and their names also end with a C...

Now, in GTA IV Bellic is pronounced as Bellik, but I think it's supposed to be pronounced like Bellitsh. Correct me if I'm wrong.

Same goes for Mila Tadic, mentioned in conversations between Roman and Niko.

I know, it's nothing big...but still it's kinda stupid.
He isn't Russian or Ukrainian i know that because i speak Russian fluently and Ukrainian is not too much different from Russian.

It's a weird language i just can't seem to put my finger on, It sounds Ukrarnian but most of the words are said in Russian but with little differences.

His name though is most likely Nikolai But yes the last name would definitely end with a 'ch' ,Like Mikhael's name is pronounced with 'Mi ha yel' But in english people can call him Michael or Mick.

Eastern European Countries with names are a little more complex then others when it comes to saying them in English or shortening them.
My name is Alexander but in Russian if somebody asked what my name was i would say Alexander and they would ask me 'For short are you called Sasha or Alex?' But pretty much everybody calls me Sasha.

It's pretty complicated.

EDIT:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Markonious View Post
Oh so hes definitely Serbian then, Good iv been trying to figure it out since i got the game lol.
When he first met roman he said "Zdravo Baratzarov' Which is the same as Hello and in slang 'Brother' in my language , But when i got in the car and they started talking to each other in it i thought that they had a poorly taught American speaking for Niko in Russian. Turns out it wasn't my language at all when i reached the first gun shop and he said he wasn't Russian.

Last edited by Sasha; 05-07-2008 at 05:57 AM..
Sasha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2008   #24
dillinja

dillinja is on a distinguished roaddillinja is on a distinguished roaddillinja is on a distinguished road
also anoys e how everyone in the game pronoounces twat as twart. supose thats how they say it in america but it sounds ridiculous, considering it is a british word.
dillinja is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2008   #25
Brotha
Rockstar-ish

Brotha is a jewel in the roughBrotha is a jewel in the roughBrotha is a jewel in the roughBrotha is a jewel in the roughBrotha is a jewel in the roughBrotha is a jewel in the roughBrotha is a jewel in the roughBrotha is a jewel in the roughBrotha is a jewel in the roughBrotha is a jewel in the roughBrotha is a jewel in the rough
Niko is from Serbia, so it should be "Bellich", although Bellic is probably an Americanization.
Brotha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2008   #26
CB
"Your stupidity may be your one saving grace."

CB has a spectacular aura aboutCB has a spectacular aura aboutCB has a spectacular aura aboutCB has a spectacular aura aboutCB has a spectacular aura aboutCB has a spectacular aura aboutCB has a spectacular aura aboutCB has a spectacular aura aboutCB has a spectacular aura aboutCB has a spectacular aura aboutCB has a spectacular aura about
The reason they all pronounce it Bell-lick is because they are not familiar with the pronunciation. Not everyone knows how to pronounce everything perfectly. Let it slide guys, it's just a game.

CB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2008   #27
ska
Wearing my rolex

ska has a reputation beyond reputeska has a reputation beyond reputeska has a reputation beyond reputeska has a reputation beyond reputeska has a reputation beyond reputeska has a reputation beyond reputeska has a reputation beyond reputeska has a reputation beyond reputeska has a reputation beyond reputeska has a reputation beyond reputeska has a reputation beyond repute
This mispronounciation is actually a nice realistic touch.
ska is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2008   #28
Offended_by_Everything
Social Justice Warrior

Offended_by_Everything has a reputation beyond reputeOffended_by_Everything has a reputation beyond reputeOffended_by_Everything has a reputation beyond reputeOffended_by_Everything has a reputation beyond reputeOffended_by_Everything has a reputation beyond reputeOffended_by_Everything has a reputation beyond reputeOffended_by_Everything has a reputation beyond reputeOffended_by_Everything has a reputation beyond reputeOffended_by_Everything has a reputation beyond reputeOffended_by_Everything has a reputation beyond reputeOffended_by_Everything has a reputation beyond repute
So why do Niko and Roman mispronounce the name, too?

Niko and Roman are Serbian. Roman says something about hsi Serbian becoming rusty after all those years in the US in the opening cutscene.

Last edited by Offended_by_Everything; 05-07-2008 at 10:06 AM..
Offended_by_Everything is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2008   #29
Pablo Escobar Jr.
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChandlerBing View Post
The reason they all pronounce it Bell-lick is because they are not familiar with the pronunciation. Not everyone knows how to pronounce everything perfectly. Let it slide guys, it's just a game.
But even the Bellic cousins don't know how to pronounce their own name. :p

Hot Buttered Soul
Old 05-07-2008   #30
CB
"Your stupidity may be your one saving grace."

CB has a spectacular aura aboutCB has a spectacular aura aboutCB has a spectacular aura aboutCB has a spectacular aura aboutCB has a spectacular aura aboutCB has a spectacular aura aboutCB has a spectacular aura aboutCB has a spectacular aura aboutCB has a spectacular aura aboutCB has a spectacular aura aboutCB has a spectacular aura about
True. But have you noticed how Niko's English improves as the story progresses?

Nice little touch there.

CB is offline   Reply With Quote