Old 05-06-2008   #1
Pignoah
While you make pretty speeches.

Pignoah has much to be proud ofPignoah has much to be proud ofPignoah has much to be proud ofPignoah has much to be proud ofPignoah has much to be proud ofPignoah has much to be proud ofPignoah has much to be proud ofPignoah has much to be proud ofPignoah has much to be proud ofPignoah has much to be proud ofPignoah has much to be proud of
Lackluster

First hour or so was great. Then you're doing the same thing OVER & OVER. There's no tank, and I'm all for realism but man just take everything fun out why don'cha?

Missions are repetitive.
Characters are lacking for the most aprt.

& my ending was awful, I'm guessing there are several.

Havn't got online though so I guess that's the best part of the game.
Old 05-06-2008   #2
DMannDD

DMannDD is on a distinguished roadDMannDD is on a distinguished roadDMannDD is on a distinguished road
I couldn't agree less. I think this game is masterfully done. The missions have to get repetitive but if they had done less we would all be complaining about how there weren't enough missions. I wonder when I hear people say this if we are playing the same game. I think it is mixed up very well with all the mission. Most Wanted List, Crimes in progress, stealing cars for Brucie, races. Everything I expected and wanted from GTA.

As for the characters lacking, what game have you played where the characters were more engrossing? Or you felt like you could relate to the characters better? I haven't played one yet.

And finally

The Three Leaf Clover mission is probably the best mission ever in any video game bar none. The way the cinematics were implemented into the mission were amazing. Bank Heist ala HEAT! Classic gaming moment I will never forget!

I have not completed the game yet. I find myself messing around way too often to beat it within a week.
DMannDD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2008   #3
Legham
a.k.a, Fosters Breath

Legham has a reputation beyond reputeLegham has a reputation beyond reputeLegham has a reputation beyond reputeLegham has a reputation beyond reputeLegham has a reputation beyond reputeLegham has a reputation beyond reputeLegham has a reputation beyond reputeLegham has a reputation beyond reputeLegham has a reputation beyond reputeLegham has a reputation beyond reputeLegham has a reputation beyond repute
I reckon the characters and missions are far better than the past GTAs. In all the other GTAs i never wanted to do missions, i'd only do them to unlock the islands, but occasionally with IV i get the urge to go do a mission.. which is completely new to me.
Legham is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2008   #4
Pignoah
While you make pretty speeches.

Pignoah has much to be proud ofPignoah has much to be proud ofPignoah has much to be proud ofPignoah has much to be proud ofPignoah has much to be proud ofPignoah has much to be proud ofPignoah has much to be proud ofPignoah has much to be proud ofPignoah has much to be proud ofPignoah has much to be proud ofPignoah has much to be proud of
Quote:
Originally Posted by DMannDD View Post
I couldn't agree less. I think this game is masterfully done. The missions have to get repetitive but if they had done less we would all be complaining about how there weren't enough missions. I wonder when I hear people say this if we are playing the same game. I think it is mixed up very well with all the mission. Most Wanted List, Crimes in progress, stealing cars for Brucie, races. Everything I expected and wanted from GTA.

As for the characters lacking, what game have you played where the characters were more engrossing? Or you felt like you could relate to the characters better? I haven't played one yet.

And finally

The Three Leaf Clover mission is probably the best mission ever in any video game bar none. The way the cinematics were implemented into the mission were amazing. Bank Heist ala HEAT! Classic gaming moment I will never forget!

That bank mission was great. Don't get me wrong some of the missions were fun. Most of them involved killing generic mafia dudes for diamonds you never get.

I wouldn't mind but the mafia guys got so boring. They just had no character compared to GTA3/Vice City. The newe cop car stuff is fun, but the same as most the missions, so why bother?

Phone thing ruled too.
Old 05-06-2008   #5
Neil

Neil has much to be proud ofNeil has much to be proud ofNeil has much to be proud ofNeil has much to be proud ofNeil has much to be proud ofNeil has much to be proud ofNeil has much to be proud ofNeil has much to be proud ofNeil has much to be proud ofNeil has much to be proud ofNeil has much to be proud of
I am sick to death of replaying missions for stupid reasons in this game. One time I got through a major shootout, rescued who I was supposed to and then I drove over a barrel which exploded, killing us both. Another few times cars have exploded nearby and killed me or the stupid new police thing has sent a helicopter after me for a 1* wanted level, meaning it's unshakable.

As for the missions themselves, I agree in part. A whole bunch of the missions are exceedingly boring "take out this guy" or "go get this car for me" and this is all stuff we've seen before in previous games. It's fun to do this again, but it does get repetitive very quickly.

While this game is definitely the best since Vice City, I am absolutely confident that it doesn't warrant a 10/10 score from anyone. It doesn't look good enough, it doesn't play well enough and the characters are either extremely stereotypical or too similar to each other to really make an impact on me.
Neil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2008   #6
scott
....whuuuut?

scott has much to be proud ofscott has much to be proud ofscott has much to be proud ofscott has much to be proud ofscott has much to be proud ofscott has much to be proud ofscott has much to be proud ofscott has much to be proud ofscott has much to be proud ofscott has much to be proud ofscott has much to be proud of
I love the game. But I've noticed something..if you play it on SD as opposed to HD, it looks absolutely TERRIBLE. It's like the character models are actually different for the two.

It shouldn't be like that..
Old 05-06-2008   #7
Dabog
Newbie Member

Dabog is an unknown quantity at this point
Quote:
Originally Posted by Scott View Post
I love the game. But I've noticed something..if you play it on SD as opposed to HD, it looks absolutely TERRIBLE. It's like the character models are actually different for the two.

It shouldn't be like that..

Ummmm.... if things looked the same in HD and SD, what would be the point of getting HD? There is a reason why HD looks better, twice the pixels means more detail. SD should look like crap!!!

x-box gametag - Dabog *invite anytime for some online action*
Dabog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2008   #8
Nikolai

Nikolai is an unknown quantity at this point
I actually really enjoyed the game, but I have no desire to replay it now I am done. I will, purely because I turned into an achievement junkie.

But the will to do it isn't there. I don't even feel like getting 100%, the game was fun but I have to agree with Neil, it does not in any way deserve 10/10. There is very little between this and GTA SA.

They've taken a lot of stuff out, they redone the graphics (but it's next-gen now, so that doesn't count) the new Euphoria engine is amazing and the scale of the city complete with interiors all pre-loaded is exceptional. But under all that, it's the same game.

The characters really aren't that engrossing. Niko was, Roman was by proxy. But the other characters, I really didn't care if they lived or died, I didn't care what their story was. They were just shallow in many ways and didn't really get my attention. I read that the intention was to make these guys believable, to make you sympathise... well sorry but for me R* failed me there.

The only other Character besides Niko and Roman that I really liked, or hoped wasn't going to be a victim at some point was Little Jacob. He has to be the best secondary character in a VG. But all in all, I felt closer to the SAS squad in COD4 than I did most of GTA4 characters.

It is a good game, I won't say other wise. But I really don't see why it gets 10/10 - particularly from IGN whose last 10 was in 1999.

What really bugged me though, was the ending.

I found it completely anti-climatic. It didn't really feel like an end, in some ways it makes sense. Kate/Roman may have died, but for the rest of us life goes on, which is fair enough. But from a purely storyline view, it feels completely unfinished and like the writers have ADD and suddenly left to look at a shiny penny on the floor.

I can't help but feel like it should have had "To be continued" at the end.

Last edited by Nikolai; 05-06-2008 at 04:50 PM..
Nikolai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2008   #9
Kodo

Kodo has much to be proud ofKodo has much to be proud ofKodo has much to be proud ofKodo has much to be proud ofKodo has much to be proud ofKodo has much to be proud ofKodo has much to be proud ofKodo has much to be proud ofKodo has much to be proud ofKodo has much to be proud ofKodo has much to be proud of
Are we talking about the same game? Did you guys set your expectations too high?

For me, this game feels a lot like the first Liberty City with all the next-gen improvements. It is very nostalgic. I didn't think I would be able to relive GTA 3, and here is Rockstar proving me wrong. It's like they rolled GTA3, VC, and SA all into one, kept everything great, took out everything bad, and added in plenty of new extras. I fucking love it. It has me more addicted than any of the previous ones. Oh yeah, and there's multiplayer, which is very well thought out. Instead of icing on the cake it's like a second cake.
Kodo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2008   #10
Comeback209

Comeback209 is on a distinguished roadComeback209 is on a distinguished roadComeback209 is on a distinguished road
People thought far too much into GTA IV. Its by far the funnest of the series and it deserves those 10/10 reviews, and I don't see myself playing anything else till Fable 2 drops, but it did have its faults like every other game. Only reason people are pointing out the smallest of mistakes and oddities is because they thought this game was the second coming of Christ. Not sure why you people do this. Its like a fetish of WANTING to be let down. :/

Also: I demand a multiplayer bank heist

Last edited by Comeback209; 05-06-2008 at 08:30 PM..
Comeback209 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2008   #11
Rurouni
Most Wanted

Rurouni is on a distinguished roadRurouni is on a distinguished road
I'm sick and tired of keep running away from the cops in most of the missions.

Youtube Account - ADD
Rurouni is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2008   #12
bonesmccoy
Sabotage

bonesmccoy is an unknown quantity at this point
POTENTIAL SPOILERS BELOW:

I don't have any serious problems with the game. Yes, some of the missions are repetitive, but there are usually several ways of accomplishing each task, and then with the vibrant, dynamic city going on around you, a mission done at noon can be very different from a mission done at midnight.

I think it's the best game in the series. The characters are (mostly) very well thought out and believable, and I honestly felt that we could've gotten to know them a little more. The city is unmatchable - I mean, how many times have you discovered a new area that you just never visited? Locations are no longer sterile map fillers.

To be sure, there are some things that need to be addressed. The issue of not being able to crouch and use the cell gets annoying in shootouts and there is too little for Niko to spend his money on. But then again, all of my complaints could easily be rectified by a $9.99 - $19.99 add on.
bonesmccoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2008   #13
kingcars

kingcars is an unknown quantity at this point
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kodo View Post
Are we talking about the same game? Did you guys set your expectations too high?

For me, this game feels a lot like the first Liberty City with all the next-gen improvements. It is very nostalgic. I didn't think I would be able to relive GTA 3, and here is Rockstar proving me wrong. It's like they rolled GTA3, VC, and SA all into one, kept everything great, took out everything bad, and added in plenty of new extras. I fucking love it. It has me more addicted than any of the previous ones. Oh yeah, and there's multiplayer, which is very well thought out. Instead of icing on the cake it's like a second cake.
I couldn't agree more. I'm not sure if it's because I don't set my expectations through the roof or it's the fact that I've been taking my time with the game, enjoying the amazing small details, story line, characters, etc. And for the first time ever in a game...

I actually redid the mission where you save Roman from the warehouse about 8 times. I just could not get the right shot on the guy right at the end where he had his arms around Roman. I actually beat it my 4th try, but when we got in the truck, I hit one of the explosive boxes...so 4 more tries later, i finally got it. I did this because, even though when I failed my first try, I decided I was going to just go with it. But then I felt sad and I figured it'd be lonely without Roman calling Niko on the cell for a game of Pool and being so thrilled to hang out with Niko. And not to mention he's family, and the reason Niko came to LC.
kingcars is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2008   #14
Thundercracker

Thundercracker has a reputation beyond reputeThundercracker has a reputation beyond reputeThundercracker has a reputation beyond reputeThundercracker has a reputation beyond reputeThundercracker has a reputation beyond reputeThundercracker has a reputation beyond reputeThundercracker has a reputation beyond reputeThundercracker has a reputation beyond reputeThundercracker has a reputation beyond reputeThundercracker has a reputation beyond reputeThundercracker has a reputation beyond repute
Quote:
Originally Posted by Neil View Post
I am sick to death of replaying missions for stupid reasons in this game. One time I got through a major shootout, rescued who I was supposed to and then I drove over a barrel which exploded, killing us both.
I noticed those barrels as soon as I hopped into the vehicle. Thank goodness.
Thundercracker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2008   #15
X-reS
Looks better in real life.

X-reS is a splendid one to beholdX-reS is a splendid one to beholdX-reS is a splendid one to beholdX-reS is a splendid one to beholdX-reS is a splendid one to beholdX-reS is a splendid one to beholdX-reS is a splendid one to beholdX-reS is a splendid one to beholdX-reS is a splendid one to beholdX-reS is a splendid one to beholdX-reS is a splendid one to behold
I like the game, but I agree with you guys to some extent. The game are a little representative, But the story is what lets me down the most. There are no "great characters" that made past GTAs interesting. I like the whole bigger then life felling in last GTAs, but I haven't got that yet. I haven't finished the story yet mostly because nothing truely exciting happens.