Go Back   GTAGaming Forums > Grand Theft Auto > Grand Theft Auto IV
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Old 05-05-2008   #1
SimonS
Pffft.

SimonS is a glorious beacon of lightSimonS is a glorious beacon of lightSimonS is a glorious beacon of lightSimonS is a glorious beacon of lightSimonS is a glorious beacon of lightSimonS is a glorious beacon of lightSimonS is a glorious beacon of lightSimonS is a glorious beacon of lightSimonS is a glorious beacon of lightSimonS is a glorious beacon of lightSimonS is a glorious beacon of light
JOINING game WITH players on Xbox Live

I found a 1 month free trial of live in my game case, so I though i'd try it out. My live profile is different to my normal game playing profile so I have to start a new game.

I've just spent along time trying to simply join a game but it keeps dumping me into a NEW GAME, I want to join a game, not fucking start a new one. Why isn't there a lobby or something to browse games. I've only got into one, the other 50 or so tries just dumps me back onto a new game .

Each time I try and see no players , I have to exit...load the first single player cutscene EACH TIME, so it's very annoying . Isn't there a main menu for multiplayer or something. For my first live experience, it's a very very poor system. At least it's poorly explained ( if at all).

I just want to join a game WITH PLAYERS, play, and have fun. Not with 'hit and miss' methods either. Is there a browser or a menu or some shit. Trying to join a game only having it think you're making a new game, then having to cancel and watch the intro scene again makes me want to throw my 360 out the window.

how do I work this heap of shit before I smash in my 360
Old 05-05-2008   #2
owned_by_gta
Nick

owned_by_gta is on a distinguished roadowned_by_gta is on a distinguished roadowned_by_gta is on a distinguished roadowned_by_gta is on a distinguished roadowned_by_gta is on a distinguished road
do you put any private slots? if you do it does that.
owned_by_gta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2008   #3
SimonS
Pffft.

SimonS is a glorious beacon of lightSimonS is a glorious beacon of lightSimonS is a glorious beacon of lightSimonS is a glorious beacon of lightSimonS is a glorious beacon of lightSimonS is a glorious beacon of lightSimonS is a glorious beacon of lightSimonS is a glorious beacon of lightSimonS is a glorious beacon of lightSimonS is a glorious beacon of lightSimonS is a glorious beacon of light
Private slots?

No idea?

I just load up single player, use the phone to go to Multiplayer...Select ranked game...choose my game mode...Then loading..

It either loads up a new game screen, says it's disconnected, and maybe a 2% chance of getting onto the ready screen with other players, I've only been able to do this twice, and one of those two times I disconnected.

Surely there's a much more secure way of just finding a goddamn game to play on?

God help me when I actually want to...gasp...try and get some friends together to play online
Old 05-05-2008   #4
Sheep Shagger
Newbie Member

Sheep Shagger is on a distinguished roadSheep Shagger is on a distinguished road
Okay, first you become host when there are no games available for you to join. If you wait a few minutes (likely less) others will start joining your lobby. You will be in charge of selecting the game type, but you can always ask others what they'd like to play.

When you are ready to play with friends just select "Party Mode", or any mode but with Private Slots turned on. Just go through the phone slowly and look at all the options.

Live can be a little confusing/intimidating at first, but it works really well most of the time once you get the hang of it.
Sheep Shagger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2008   #5
Tyler
Every Time Zone
Addicted Member

Tyler has much to be proud ofTyler has much to be proud ofTyler has much to be proud ofTyler has much to be proud ofTyler has much to be proud ofTyler has much to be proud ofTyler has much to be proud ofTyler has much to be proud ofTyler has much to be proud ofTyler has much to be proud ofTyler has much to be proud of
Yeah, i agree with the part that they dont have a menu.
Because everytime you get dissconnected, it gets annoying to load back into the single player, then have to load back into the mulitiplayer then get kicked off again.
Tyler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2008   #6
DMannDD

DMannDD is on a distinguished roadDMannDD is on a distinguished roadDMannDD is on a distinguished road
I can agree with you somewhat. I think Rockstar took on a lot by doing this with the multiplayer. To make it (what they thought) streamlined. This is the first GTA multiplayer so there are kinks to work out and it can be annoying. I haven't tried too often but I started a freeroam and then just invited every friend on my friends list to join. Sooner or later a couple jumped on. Then we could switch to any mode we wanted. You just both have to agree.

I think Rockstar will get this worked out before too long. Also, this is by no means the way Xbox Live works. I have been online for well over a year and never ran into issues like this. Of course, everyone gets dropped from a game now and then but most games have lobbies that make the transition easier. Don't give up on Live, you will miss out on a lot.
DMannDD is offline   Reply With Quote