Old 04-26-2008   #1
krislicoque

krislicoque is an unknown quantity at this point
Question PS3 or Xbox360?

Hello there,

For some reason my old user was deleted, so I made a new one in order to create this thread.

I've always been playing the GTA games on PlayStation, but I'm in doubt now. I will buy one of the systems in order to play GTA4 - but which?

I have some questions:
What extra content will Xbox360 get that PS3 doesn't?

How does the online community compares (Live is obviously much larger than PS3 Network), and will it matter for this game?

What is the achivements I've been reading about on Xbox, and what influence on the game do they have?

How much better are the graphics on PS3?

I'm obviously leaning towards PS3, but I need to get these things straight before I buy it. I do not care about other games on the systems, I'm buying it solely for the purpose of GTA4.

Thanks a lot.
krislicoque is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2008   #2
ska
Wearing my rolex

ska has a reputation beyond reputeska has a reputation beyond reputeska has a reputation beyond reputeska has a reputation beyond reputeska has a reputation beyond reputeska has a reputation beyond reputeska has a reputation beyond reputeska has a reputation beyond reputeska has a reputation beyond reputeska has a reputation beyond reputeska has a reputation beyond repute
Episodic content, new characters etc.

No, it won't make a difference but most fanboys still use it as defense.

I'm not sure about achievements.

Nothing too serious, just the odd pixelation apparently.
ska is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2008   #3
krislicoque

Episodic content? Elaborate on this, and if you got links, please provide me with these.

Odd pixelation? I've heard that the PS3 got better anti-aliasing and not so much pop up from environmental objects.

I'm obviously leaning towards the PS3, but I will want to make sure I don't miss out on two big factors:
The multiplayer part - this must work on PS3, and be just as good as Xbox Live.
The extra content - I need to know what I'm saying no to, if buying a PS3.

Also, what's the max resolution Xbox360 plays in? PS3 is 1080p, right?
Old 04-26-2008   #4
ska
Wearing my rolex

ska has a reputation beyond reputeska has a reputation beyond reputeska has a reputation beyond reputeska has a reputation beyond reputeska has a reputation beyond reputeska has a reputation beyond reputeska has a reputation beyond reputeska has a reputation beyond reputeska has a reputation beyond reputeska has a reputation beyond reputeska has a reputation beyond repute
Things like maybe a new storyline for after the main storyline, new comedy, maybe new cars and weapons

Yeah, you heard right.

Of course it does, not every PS3 player owns a headset but meh.
ska is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2008   #5
Neil

Neil has much to be proud ofNeil has much to be proud ofNeil has much to be proud ofNeil has much to be proud ofNeil has much to be proud ofNeil has much to be proud ofNeil has much to be proud ofNeil has much to be proud ofNeil has much to be proud ofNeil has much to be proud ofNeil has much to be proud of
Both versions of the game run at 720p, with both versions also offering the option to upscale this to 1080p. Neither version is "higher resolution" than the other.

The extra content details aren't yet confirmed except one - it's exclusive to Xbox 360 and PlayStation 3 will not be getting any whatsoever. I'd imagine it will be something like an extra bunch of missions, some cars and suchlike. It's not going to be like a sequel, just really an extension.
Neil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2008   #6
Yam Trigger
Urban Pleb

Yam Trigger is a splendid one to beholdYam Trigger is a splendid one to beholdYam Trigger is a splendid one to beholdYam Trigger is a splendid one to beholdYam Trigger is a splendid one to beholdYam Trigger is a splendid one to beholdYam Trigger is a splendid one to beholdYam Trigger is a splendid one to beholdYam Trigger is a splendid one to beholdYam Trigger is a splendid one to beholdYam Trigger is a splendid one to behold
The game is basically the same on both consoles. If you've been playing on playstations your whole life and like the controller, that would probably be the only reason to get a PS3. If you want to play the episodic content you're going to need an 360.

Do you smell burning feathers?
Yam Trigger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2008   #7
Skudgemuffin
Newbie Member

Skudgemuffin is an unknown quantity at this point
http://news.filefront.com/gta-iv-dlc-will-be-how-big/

DLC is rumored to be whole new cities.
Skudgemuffin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2008   #8
Jeremy 360 NL

Jeremy 360 NL is an unknown quantity at this point
There will be 2 Downloadable Episodes extra for 360, wich are AT LEAST 10 hours of gameplay, rumors tell there will be a small extra map. I think the controller is better from the 360 too, but i have to be honest and the ps3 graphics are better according to various websites, though i don't know how big a difference it is.
Achievements may seem dumb for people that have never experienced the addiction you get from it .. At every game you can get 1000 point's and you just WANT all of em (check my signature). Last thing is that xbox live is absolutely great, though paying for it can be a big disappointment for some people, I think its worth it though.
Max resolution is also 1080p for 360 now, but i have a samsung LE32R82B wich is HD-Ready so i can only play up to a resolution of 720p (wich is realy sharp though!)

Good look with your decision!
Rockstar Social Club Member #54131
Jeremy 360 NL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2008   #9
the punisher
Ham

the punisher will become famous soon enoughthe punisher will become famous soon enoughthe punisher will become famous soon enoughthe punisher will become famous soon enoughthe punisher will become famous soon enoughthe punisher will become famous soon enoughthe punisher will become famous soon enough
a- It gets 2 DLC packs that's worth around 10 hours of gameplay, first one is in August. It's probably a new, small island with new side missions/ characters.

b- Live is much better. But taking into consideration all Live users have headsets, you're bound to hear some of the worst profanity ever. Nothing you haven't experienced in a Halo game though. PS3s don't come bundled with headsets, so mostly serious players/gamers are the ones to buy them, and they're mostly mature enough.

c- Achievements have no effect on the gameplay. It's stuff like medals ( some give free points on XBox Live ) for killing 100 pedestrians in 5 minutes, finishing the storyline missions in 15 hours etc. . Think about it as your e-penis on XBox Live.

d- Both versions are similar graphics wise, with only tiny unnoticeable differences.
Old 04-26-2008   #10
Jeremy 360 NL

Jeremy 360 NL is an unknown quantity at this point
Quote:
Originally Posted by the punisher View Post
a- It gets 2 DLC packs that's worth around 10 hours of gameplay, first one is in August. It's probably a new, small island with new side missions/ characters.

b- Live is much better. But taking into consideration all Live users have headsets, you're bound to hear some of the worst profanity ever. Nothing you haven't experienced in a Halo game though. PS3s don't come bundled with headsets, so mostly serious players/gamers are the ones to buy them, and they're mostly mature enough.

c- Achievements have no effect on the gameplay. It's stuff like medals ( some give free points on XBox Live ) for killing 100 pedestrians in 5 minutes, finishing the storyline missions in 15 hours etc. . Think about it as your e-penis on XBox Live.

d- Both versions are similar graphics wise, with only tiny unnoticeable differences.
I know little wannebe 12 year old can be irritating, but you can just mute them so you can't hear them anymore
Rockstar Social Club Member #54131
Jeremy 360 NL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2008   #11
Lukeyy19
Sophisticated Silliness
Addicted Member

Lukeyy19 is a splendid one to beholdLukeyy19 is a splendid one to beholdLukeyy19 is a splendid one to beholdLukeyy19 is a splendid one to beholdLukeyy19 is a splendid one to beholdLukeyy19 is a splendid one to beholdLukeyy19 is a splendid one to beholdLukeyy19 is a splendid one to beholdLukeyy19 is a splendid one to beholdLukeyy19 is a splendid one to beholdLukeyy19 is a splendid one to behold
Quote:
but remember the PSN is free whereas the Live Network is not.

when people say Live is better what are they basing that on?
Old 04-26-2008   #12
phreak
wsup den
Veteran Member

phreak has much to be proud ofphreak has much to be proud ofphreak has much to be proud ofphreak has much to be proud ofphreak has much to be proud ofphreak has much to be proud ofphreak has much to be proud ofphreak has much to be proud ofphreak has much to be proud ofphreak has much to be proud ofphreak has much to be proud of
PS3 version does look better, more AA (means less jaggies, more smooth cars, people etc), slightly quicker loading due to HDD install. PS3 version also has "far less" pop-in, which is great, everything will seem to stream perfectly. Also the 360 version suffers from the occasional frame rate drop more than the PS3 does. Online gaming is also free, and the controller is more native to GTA than the 360 one.

And with 360, well if you pay up, you get extra missions. In a couple more months that is. The DLC is coming in August so it is NOT OUT NOW.

So if you're deciding which game BY ITSELF is indeed better, it goes to the PS3 version, even if it is slightly, it was more than enough for reviewers to notice.
Old 04-26-2008   #13
greekgoat91
Liberty City Survivor Winner

greekgoat91 is on a distinguished roadgreekgoat91 is on a distinguished road
PS3

1. Better graphics (even Dan Houser has gone out and said so)
2. Free Online
3. DLC (of some sort) is also bound to come to PS3
4. Dualshock 3 (the greatest control of all time IMO)
5. Acheivement system is coming and will be integrated with Home
Old 04-26-2008   #14
krislicoque

Quote:

Very nice answers, thank you. That may very well be the reason I would buy the Xbox afterall.

I guess I'd just have to get used to the controller.

However, is there anywhere I can see a graphics comparison on the two? That's really my only major issue right now. I know people say it's not a lot, but I'm a perfectionist when I comes to that, I guess.
Old 04-26-2008   #15
krislicoque

Quote:
Originally Posted by greekgoat91 View Post
PS3

1. Better graphics (even Dan Houser has gone out and said so)
2. Free Online
3. DLC (of some sort) is also bound to come to PS3
4. Dualshock 3 (the greatest control of all time IMO)
5. Acheivement system is coming and will be integrated with Home
See this is also very interesting.

Who is Dan Houser, and can you link to where he said this?

The DLC for PS3 someone other in this thread said would definately NOT come for PS3. I guess at least not the same.

I agree, the dualshock controller is the best controller of all time.

More info on the achievement system for PS3?