Go Back   GTAGaming Forums > Grand Theft Auto > Grand Theft Auto IV
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Old 04-27-2008   #1
nYgel

nYgel is an unknown quantity at this point
DLC May include new city [source]

http://www.joystiq.com/2008/04/19/ru...ly-new-cities/

Quote:
We're vehement followers of the logic that if something sounds too good to be true, it usually is -- still, in cases like these, that doesn't stop us from wishing and hoping hard enough to make our noses bleed. The latest, Microsoft-endorsed, Grand Theft Auto IV special edition issue of Computer and Video Games magazine suggests that the 360 DLC is to the perfect scoring GTA IV as "Vice City or San Andreas were [to] GTA III," and later, in simpler terms, "Rockstar is clearly hinting at new downloadable cities" for the title.

While this infinitely awesome feature might be technically and fiscally possible, we must keep a firm grasp on our cynically-tinted monocles until official confirmation arises. Still, it's tough not to wonder what cities Rockstar could build knock-off replicas of to add to their latest title -- perhaps an Atlantic City clone? A geographically-appropriate rendering of New Jersey? A mock-up of the bustling metropolis of Mud Lick, KY? The possibilities are endless!
I personally feel it'd have to be something smaller, Atlantic City being my best guess. THAT IS of course if it were to be a new city, because $50m is half what it took to make GTA4, they expect some good DLC.

Makes decent sense, the only other big thing to do to LC would be to make it winter, but i'd imagine snowing would be really hard for them to do... although they did it well in Bully.
nYgel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2008   #2
ChiTheDesigner
First-hour Fanatic

ChiTheDesigner will become famous soon enoughChiTheDesigner will become famous soon enoughChiTheDesigner will become famous soon enoughChiTheDesigner will become famous soon enoughChiTheDesigner will become famous soon enoughChiTheDesigner will become famous soon enoughChiTheDesigner will become famous soon enough
Quote:
Rumor: GTA IV DLC may include entirely new cities
I don't believe in rumors.
But if it is true, I am so thankful I decided to buy a X360 solely for Grand Theft Auto back when it was released.

Aquatic City. Hell yeah.

ChiTheDesigner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2008   #3
phreak
wsup den
Veteran Member

phreak has much to be proud ofphreak has much to be proud ofphreak has much to be proud ofphreak has much to be proud ofphreak has much to be proud ofphreak has much to be proud ofphreak has much to be proud ofphreak has much to be proud ofphreak has much to be proud ofphreak has much to be proud ofphreak has much to be proud of
Cities? Keep dreaming. The DLC will be mission based. If you're lucky, new cars and weapons might be added but the packs were already confirmed BY DAN HOUSER to not be cities or islands or what have you.
Old 04-27-2008   #4
nYgel

where did houser say that?
Old 04-27-2008   #5
phreak
wsup den
Veteran Member

phreak has much to be proud ofphreak has much to be proud ofphreak has much to be proud ofphreak has much to be proud ofphreak has much to be proud ofphreak has much to be proud ofphreak has much to be proud ofphreak has much to be proud ofphreak has much to be proud ofphreak has much to be proud ofphreak has much to be proud of
Quote:
Originally Posted by nYgel View Post
where did houser say that?
I'm guessing you didn't read the interview with IGN, seems a lot of people missed it then if they're coming up with threads like this :\

I don't have the exact link on me, but with a little searching you can find it there.
Old 04-27-2008   #6
Thundercracker

Thundercracker has a reputation beyond reputeThundercracker has a reputation beyond reputeThundercracker has a reputation beyond reputeThundercracker has a reputation beyond reputeThundercracker has a reputation beyond reputeThundercracker has a reputation beyond reputeThundercracker has a reputation beyond reputeThundercracker has a reputation beyond reputeThundercracker has a reputation beyond reputeThundercracker has a reputation beyond reputeThundercracker has a reputation beyond repute
Way to insult people who don't read every piece of information coming out about the game.
Thundercracker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2008   #7
phreak
wsup den
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Olin View Post
Way to insult people who don't read every piece of information coming out about the game.
I was insulting anyone. That interview was a pretty big deal a week or so ago and I thought pretty much everyone had read it. It needs to be more widespread that this DLC isn't a map-based expansion. The LC map is more than big enough, why do we need another island?
Old 04-27-2008   #8
nYgel

Quote:
IGN: One of the other big pushes for this generation is downloadable content. I know you probably can't talk about the downloadable content for GTA IV, but in general what is your view of extending the life of game through downloadable content?

Houser: Don't sell things that aren't worth selling. We've always focused on value for money. We're very conscious that games are a very expensive media product. A book costs about 12 bucks, movie tickets are like 10 bucks on Fandango, CDs -- if people even buy them anymore -- are $12 and a game's like 60 bucks. So we've always been conscious of it's a big financial outlay.

We can't guarantee people will love any of our games, but we do our utmost to ensure they will know they have been lovingly put together. The production values are high. We'll lovingly select every single song in every single game. We'll be throwing out one's we like because it doesn't quite match the tone in the game. We try out every voice. We try to make sure the voice of everyone acting stands out. If the guy's got a crap voice, we ditch the actor. We really try and do that stuff with attention to detail. Every mission, every mechanic -- we focus on the fact that it's a big commitment for someone to spend a bunch of money and a number of hours of their life [playing] this. We can't guarantee they're going to love it, but we can guarantee that they're going to know it wasn't us just trying to rip money out of their wallet without giving anything back.

Now in terms of how that relates to downloadable stuff, the business model is still very, very loose. Often in games it seems to mature as a business before it's matured as an art form. And I think that's an area where there's a danger of that happening, so our approach is going to be for everything: If we're going to sell it, we're going to make sure it's worth buying. And make sure it doesn't unbalance the game or make the game unplayable for everyone online in the multiplayer environment. And in the single-player environment when adding stuff there, make sure it's worth whatever money someone's paying for it.

IGN: And I assume also to make sure it feels like a natural extension of the game as well, so that it doesn't feel artificial?

Houser: Oh yeah... In general, if it's a very tight story game, as opposed to an open world game, there's often nothing you can really add. Add an extra level. Why? It's done. It's a story. With an open world game there's a little more maneuverability there, but we're super conscious that we want the games to be treated as serious medium. We take it very seriously. We love what we do. It's up to you guys to say if it's art or not. We try really hard. We're not in it just to go, "Here's an extra way of making a dollar." That's going to make all the people who already spent $60, half of them feel redundant. If there's anything that we're selling, we want it to be useful for people.

The game that you buy on the disc is the game. The extra stuff doesn't exist yet, but it exists in our heads... It's cool stuff. It doesn't undermine the individual game.

IGN: There's already a lot there for your $60.

Houser: The multiplayer game alone is a huge thing. The single-player game is enormous and other stuff you can, if you want to explore in the world, there's a $#!@-load of stuff there as well... There seems to be this weird idea that single-player games can get shorter. They can get more expensive and shorter. I don't understand that approach. It's not our approach.
Is this it? Cuz its the only Houser IGN interview that google came up with. . .

a gameradar interview said something about it being in the same 'world' but that doesnt mean LC. I personally doubt it to be the size of LC but something smaller, like one island of VC. Though I do not directly believe the article I'm just sparkin conversations/ passing info I found.

Last edited by nYgel; 04-27-2008 at 09:07 PM..
Old 04-27-2008   #9
ChiTheDesigner
First-hour Fanatic

ChiTheDesigner will become famous soon enoughChiTheDesigner will become famous soon enoughChiTheDesigner will become famous soon enoughChiTheDesigner will become famous soon enoughChiTheDesigner will become famous soon enoughChiTheDesigner will become famous soon enoughChiTheDesigner will become famous soon enough
To be honest, Liberty City suits me just fine.
Just give me more missions. More cars.
More sprunk. More coffee.

Ack, AND MORE CLOTHING.
Niko needs more clothing.
A man always needs more clothing.

ChiTheDesigner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2008   #10
bonesmccoy
Sabotage

bonesmccoy is an unknown quantity at this point
It's definitely been confirmed that it won't be new cities, at least in this batch of DLC's, but will introduce a story line that can be played parallel to the original and main story. Think less along the lines of Halflife 2's episodes, and more along the lines of Oblivion's in-game side campaigns. Lots of story, new items, new characters, new interiors, loads of new gameplay, but not a new area.

I wouldn't be disappointed; Rockstar rarely gets things wrong, and if anything, these DLC's are going to be much, much more than any other DLC released ever before for any game.
bonesmccoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2008   #11
sirspy
Well... since you put it that way... I'm in.
Amateur Member

sirspy is an unknown quantity at this point
I thought that this had been debunked by R* (not the article but the possibility of new areas, also heard no new co-op MP missions )

more single player missions, new cars, new MP modes, new comedians in clubs would all make me happy although I have read that they want to see how the DLC pans out, so it is totally not impossible. But it better be something pretty f'ing sweet for the $50mill M$ dropped for the rights to it.

Last edited by sirspy; 04-27-2008 at 09:51 PM..
sirspy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2008   #12
Masterjts

Masterjts is an unknown quantity at this point
I dont think this has officially been confirmed either way. I seriously doubt the DLC will be a new city but there is no on the record official statement definitively saying there will not. Unless I missed it somewhere which I doubt. There is a lot of speculation either way and to be honest I think that is what Rockstar wants. Speculation equal free press which is what Rockstar and Microsoft both want.
Masterjts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2008   #13
ktr

ktr is on a distinguished roadktr is on a distinguished roadktr is on a distinguished road
Lazlow and the Housers said that the DLC are mission packs.
ktr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2008   #14
De7erminist
http://7thzone.net

De7erminist has a spectacular aura aboutDe7erminist has a spectacular aura aboutDe7erminist has a spectacular aura aboutDe7erminist has a spectacular aura aboutDe7erminist has a spectacular aura aboutDe7erminist has a spectacular aura aboutDe7erminist has a spectacular aura aboutDe7erminist has a spectacular aura aboutDe7erminist has a spectacular aura aboutDe7erminist has a spectacular aura aboutDe7erminist has a spectacular aura about
Quote:
Originally Posted by ktr View Post
Lazlow and the Housers said that the DLC are mission packs.
You guys were very funny. They said it was mission packs, extra comedy, etc. But did they say all these couldn't be in a new area or new city? No. Did they say they WILL be in a new city? No. It's too early to speculate, most of us haven't even got the game yet. Besides, plans can change. Remember when they said VCS won't be coming out for PS2? And when it did get announced they said there was gonna be multiplayer in the game. Is it true? No. The PS2 version of VCS was just Single-Player.

Trust me, plans can change.
De7erminist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2008   #15
lillb
Casual User

lillb has a brilliant futurelillb has a brilliant futurelillb has a brilliant futurelillb has a brilliant futurelillb has a brilliant futurelillb has a brilliant futurelillb has a brilliant futurelillb has a brilliant futurelillb has a brilliant futurelillb has a brilliant futurelillb has a brilliant future
all you people keep saying its confirmed to just be mission packs? but no1 has solid proof of this
if you guys have a confirmed source stating it please share rather than just saying that its been confirmed
cause the IGN interview doesn't necessarily say that it wont be new landmass