Old 04-26-2008   #31
the punisher
Ham

the punisher will become famous soon enoughthe punisher will become famous soon enoughthe punisher will become famous soon enoughthe punisher will become famous soon enoughthe punisher will become famous soon enoughthe punisher will become famous soon enoughthe punisher will become famous soon enough
Quote:
Originally Posted by Higgs View Post
Well we got the Call of Duty 4 Variety Map Pack 21 days before PS3 users so I guess that counts. It might be possible that we get demos earlier too, but I'm not sure.
Oh that. Oh well, I thought he was talking about something related to GTAIV . Krislicoque, if you're deciding on which console to buy, I'd suggest looking for other games that you like that are going to be released on these systems. The 360 is getting Ninja Gaiden 2, Fable 2 and Gears of War 2 later this year. The PS3 is getting Metal Gear Solid 4, Resistance 2, Killzone 2 ( both are FPSes ) and GT5.
Old 04-26-2008   #32
ChiTheDesigner
First-hour Fanatic

ChiTheDesigner will become famous soon enoughChiTheDesigner will become famous soon enoughChiTheDesigner will become famous soon enoughChiTheDesigner will become famous soon enoughChiTheDesigner will become famous soon enoughChiTheDesigner will become famous soon enoughChiTheDesigner will become famous soon enough
Indeed, XBL users often get demos before the PSN users. Sad, but true.

I've seen both versions, and it depends entirely on what games you like playing, if you play online often, what your friends are buying and if you want the DLC.

In the event of GTA, buy a PS3. The PS3 version had some problems along the way, but ultimately runs smoother. That is, unless you want the DLC. Nobody knows what the DLC is or what it will do, but it's rumored to be pretty big. If you're one of those 'I pick up GTA once in two weeks to fuck around' guys, the DLC is not necessary for you. If you're like me, a GTA Junkie, you're gonna want the X360. That's why I'm buying GTA for 360.

Online is probably better at 360, but that's only because Live has the ability to let players communicate through speech and Microsoft hosting it's own servers, thus being faster than Gamespy's dedicated servers. Live users, on the other hand, pay a small amount of fee in order to keep this streamlined application running. Then again, Xbox Live Gold users seem to have all content released one week before it's officialy released on XBL and PSN.

You should look close to what your friends are buying. If they have 360's , buy a 360. If they have PS3, buy a PS3. Or if you don't want to play with your friends, or want to play the games your friends can't play, buy the opposite.

As for titles, it's really all about what you want. If you're a shooter / soccer / race type guy, you'd best go with the PS3 (MGS, Resistance, Killzone, GT, Pro Evo). If you're more of a broad gamer, say stealth action based shooters or teamplay games (Frontlines, Saint's Row, Viva Pinata, Gears of War 2) , you're best off going for the 360.

Or like me, if you can't decide, work harder and buy both. I do play 360 more often though, but that is solely because I enjoy Saint's Row much and Pro Evolution Soccer is also on the 360.

ChiTheDesigner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2008   #33
krislicoque

krislicoque is an unknown quantity at this point
Great answers guys, thanks a lot.

Well, I don't know what I am most. I completed all the GTA games on 100%, and after that I enjoyed the most driving around or doing things like riding out over a mountain and deploying my parachute in the last second (god I hope GTA4 got parachutes).

So, I guess I could live without the extra content in favor of the PS3 being superior in graphics and the controller is the best.

However, I will probably be proper pissed once the DLC is getting released, hehe.

Not a lot of my friends got PlayStations or Xboxs, so it doesn't really matter.
krislicoque is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2008   #34
Jeremy 360 NL

Jeremy 360 NL is an unknown quantity at this point
I guess in your situation it's the best choice, but most of my friends have a 360, and I'm a big Gears of War fan, so I'm very very very happy with my xbox , have fun with GTA IV
Rockstar Social Club Member #54131
Jeremy 360 NL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2008   #35
phreak
wsup den
Veteran Member

phreak has much to be proud ofphreak has much to be proud ofphreak has much to be proud ofphreak has much to be proud ofphreak has much to be proud ofphreak has much to be proud ofphreak has much to be proud ofphreak has much to be proud ofphreak has much to be proud ofphreak has much to be proud ofphreak has much to be proud of
In case you guys didn't know, the 360 version of GTA IV comes with a 1 month trial of Xbox Live 'Gold'. So you'll be able to play online right away so long as you have broadband internet.
Old 04-26-2008   #36
HH
Cupcake

HH is a glorious beacon of lightHH is a glorious beacon of lightHH is a glorious beacon of lightHH is a glorious beacon of lightHH is a glorious beacon of lightHH is a glorious beacon of lightHH is a glorious beacon of lightHH is a glorious beacon of lightHH is a glorious beacon of lightHH is a glorious beacon of lightHH is a glorious beacon of light
Personally, after owning a Wii, a 360, and now a PS3, I'm more for the PS3. The games I played most on my Xbox (Guitar Hero III, Rock Band, Call of Duty 4), are all also on the PS3, which is what helped me switch.

The biggest attribute that caused me to switch from the Wii was the lack of online play until long after launch (and I've heard it's sketchy anyway), and the lack of games. I had a total of 2 games that I actually enjoyed for my Wii. There are dozens for the 360 and the PS3 that catch my eye, so I lost interest in the Wii quickly, I'm afraid.

The #1 factor that caused me to switch from my 360 to the PS3 was the pure fact of customer service. Microsoft's customer support is so horrid and slow, you will want to rip your eyes out, should you ever have to call them. Immensely long repair times for my 360 that KEPT breaking, over and over (Red Ringed once, disc error three times). And the month-and-a-half long repair time really pissed me off, since Microsoft only gives you a 1-Month live card, and I was losing time quickly, since my repairs were always longer than a month.

Add the fact that Microsoft has THE worst customer support that has ever walked this earth (except perhaps Dell), topped with the fact that the the only exclusive that the 360 had that interested me was Halo 3, which I got sick of after about 3 months.

Not only that, but I'm a BIG fan of the MGS series, so that was another big reason.

I do not condone Microsoft's "joke" of a console (honestly, 4 console breakdowns in LESS than a year is a joke to me), however, if you're really looking into episodic content, the the 360 might be your better choice.

I'm almost certain that the PS3 will eventually get some form of downloadable content. Remember the old "LCS/VCS is NOT coming to the PS2!" claims by Rockstar? Sure enough, a couple months after the PSP versions were released, out came the PS2 versions.

Rockstar are sly with their claims, so even if they PERSONALLY said that the PS3 wouldn't get downloadable content, I wouldn't hold my breath to their claim.

Rockstar is like every other company on earth; they want money. They WILL expand into the PC gamer market with GTA IV, and I'm more than certain they will release PS3 downloadable content--history has proven itself.

It's really a part of personal choice. Read up on both consoles, and pick which console best suits YOU. Don't let any of these 360/PS3 fanboys detour you from your preferred console of choice. YOU'RE the person buying the console, and YOU'RE the person playing it, not them. My experiences have nearly had me ripping my hair out while on the phone with Microsoft though, so if good customer support is as much of a factor to you as it has become for me since owning a 360, then be sure to keep that in mind when making your purchase.

It may seem that I'm a Sony fanboy myself, which isn't true. I just have such a titanic hate for Microsoft, on the multiple times they screwed me over. I will never use another Microsoft product again, they can be sure of that. What makes that fact even funnier is that I switch to a Mac as my main (and like only) computer I will ever buy from now on. Microsoft has lost every sign of respect from me. I personally wouldn't mind spitting right in Bill Gates' face. Yes, I hate them that much. The only company I had to run to then was Sony, and they seem to be showing theirselves nicely in the console market this generation.

Get what you'll enjoy more. Fuck what everyone else says. End of story.

Last edited by HH; 04-26-2008 at 01:09 PM..
HH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2008   #37
cT Riot
- Chaos Theory, cT -
Newbie Member

cT Riot is an unknown quantity at this point
I will try not to be biased and give facts.

Graphics: PS3 is a more powerful system so expect better graphics, but nothing noticeable. Loading times may be shorter, but a feature on IGN.com called head to head has said PS3 has a longer loading times than the Xbox360 for both Army of Two and Devil May Cry 4, so I can't say. Both consoles have both positive and negative effects compared to each other but overall, not much difference.

Controls: Really depends on what your used to but due to the triggers on the Xbox 360 controller will make aiming easier and also you will stall if you pull the gas down to fast, so the triggers are ideal. Not that it is impossible for PS3 users but still harder.

Online: Xbox Live will be getting exclusive content, which includes new characters, new stories and rumours of new islands, yes exclusive. PSN is free but, you get what you pay for, for Xbox Live. Microsoft are also adding more then two times the hardware to thier servers for GTA. This may seem a bit biased towards PS3 but there isn't much I can say but it is free.

Achievements: Are points you earn to show what you have... Achieved in a game. This can range from completeing the story to killing 1000 enemies on multiplayer. Achievements really just give replay value to a game, but you can also get bragging rights for them.
cT Riot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2008   #38
TimBud
Clarkson for PM

TimBud is infamous around these partsTimBud is infamous around these parts
I'm getting it for the 360 purely because its the machine i have right now. And as far as i can see the 360 players are getting a much better deal in the long run!
I'll get a PS3 when it has more good games, but right now there's nothing but GTAIV on the system that interests me.
TimBud is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2008   #39
masteratt
Fiery depths of life

masteratt will become famous soon enoughmasteratt will become famous soon enoughmasteratt will become famous soon enoughmasteratt will become famous soon enoughmasteratt will become famous soon enoughmasteratt will become famous soon enoughmasteratt will become famous soon enoughmasteratt will become famous soon enoughmasteratt will become famous soon enoughmasteratt will become famous soon enough
Guys it's a fact, read the IGN review.

PS3 has shorter loading times, less jaggies and less pop-up issues.
360 has "better colour", whatever that means but I'm sure your TV settings can help that, it's not like the PS3 version runs black and white lol

I hate jaggies, I hate pop-ups, loading I can deal with but just for jaggies and pop-up issues being less on PS3, I would recommend that one.

And "Who is Dan Houser?"
Hahahaha, question of the day in a GTA fan forum! :/
masteratt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2008   #40
ska
Wearing my rolex

ska has a reputation beyond reputeska has a reputation beyond reputeska has a reputation beyond reputeska has a reputation beyond reputeska has a reputation beyond reputeska has a reputation beyond reputeska has a reputation beyond reputeska has a reputation beyond reputeska has a reputation beyond reputeska has a reputation beyond reputeska has a reputation beyond repute
Quote:
Originally Posted by cT Riot View Post
I will try not to be biased and give facts.

Graphics: PS3 is a more powerful system so expect better graphics, but nothing noticeable. Loading times may be shorter, but a feature on IGN.com called head to head has said PS3 has a longer loading times than the Xbox360 for both Army of Two and Devil May Cry 4, so I can't say. Both consoles have both positive and negative effects compared to each other but overall, not much difference.

Controls: Really depends on what your used to but due to the triggers on the Xbox 360 controller will make aiming easier and also you will stall if you pull the gas down to fast, so the triggers are ideal. Not that it is impossible for PS3 users but still harder.

Online: Xbox Live will be getting exclusive content, which includes new characters, new stories and rumours of new islands, yes exclusive. PSN is free but, you get what you pay for, for Xbox Live. Microsoft are also adding more then two times the hardware to thier servers for GTA. This may seem a bit biased towards PS3 but there isn't much I can say but it is free.

Achievements: Are points you earn to show what you have... Achieved in a game. This can range from completeing the story to killing 1000 enemies on multiplayer. Achievements really just give replay value to a game, but you can also get bragging rights for them.

The part about the triggers being easier isn't fact.
ska is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2008   #41
GTA NUT
Newbie Member

GTA NUT is an unknown quantity at this point
Now I'm not a Fanboy, but having spent a least 4 hours with both versions.

The PS3 install was not very long and does reduce texture pop in.
Don't know why but there seems less weather on the PS3 version, it might be bad luck but never rained once.
The Framerate seemed far more unstable on the PS3
There is a little bit more Blur on the PS3 version, they both have it but on the 360 it seemed further away.
The streets seemed not quite as busy on the PS3, and there are far more jaggies on the PS3.

Not had the chance to go online yet so we will have to wait and see.

Myself and others have just read the IGN reveiw and can't quite understand it.Bar the slightly longer loading times and some texture pop in, the IGN review is way off and it all most seems they got it the wrong way round.

I always sit on the fence with multiformat games and wait to see which one to go for.

The 360 just seems slightly better, I was hopefull the install would improve texture pop in and it did.
Still the point is, I find it odd as do my mates that the PS3's graphics are better.

Still they proberly have spent longer on them me and my mates, I will be buying for 360.

Oh and hi everyone.
GTA NUT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2008   #42
telk02
Newbie Member

telk02 is an unknown quantity at this point
Quote:
Originally Posted by GTA NUT View Post
Still the point is, I find it odd as do my mates that the PS3's graphics are better.
Why do you find it odd that the PS3 has better graphics? It is the more powerful machine.
telk02 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2008   #43
bonesmccoy
Sabotage

bonesmccoy is an unknown quantity at this point
Quote:
Originally Posted by GTA NUT View Post
Myself and others have just read the IGN reveiw and can't quite understand it.Bar the slightly longer loading times and some texture pop in, the IGN review is way off and it all most seems they got it the wrong way round.
That is odd considering IGN and both Houser brothers have discussed the graphical superiority of the PS3 version. Maybe you were playing SA by accident??
bonesmccoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2008   #44
GTA NUT
Newbie Member

GTA NUT is an unknown quantity at this point
Only because I would love to see more out of the PS3 and so far I have yet to be blowen away and most versions I have played of the same game the PS3 has not been as polished.
Uncharted I thought looked lovely but most games when they go head to head the 360 has always had the edge. I see the PS3 to have a lot of horse power we have yet to see thats all and GTA in my view is not better looking on the PS3.
But it has rained just as I finshed the first post which I thought was typical. lol

Last edited by GTA NUT; 04-26-2008 at 04:23 PM..
GTA NUT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2008   #45
phreak
wsup den
Veteran Member

phreak has much to be proud ofphreak has much to be proud ofphreak has much to be proud ofphreak has much to be proud ofphreak has much to be proud ofphreak has much to be proud ofphreak has much to be proud ofphreak has much to be proud ofphreak has much to be proud ofphreak has much to be proud ofphreak has much to be proud of
@GTA NUT: I think IGN have a little more credibility than you I'm afraid. Not to say you're totally wrong or anything, I'm just not sure I can believe you over what is probably the top gaming site on the web. :\

I'll just have to see for myself though.