Go Back   GTAGaming Forums > Grand Theft Auto > Grand Theft Auto IV
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Old 04-15-2008   #1
CynicalBastard
Banned
Banned

CynicalBastard is infamous around these partsCynicalBastard is infamous around these partsCynicalBastard is infamous around these parts
Graphics Haters Fail. Hard.

Sorry, if you're complaining about these graphics you should go meet your club leader, Helen Keller. The incredible vastness and density found in this game is astounding. Bashing graphics is probably the most idiotic thing you can do out side of drinking bleach. The Euphoria engine is groundbreaking and better than anything previous. Oh and console arguing is another thing the failites like to do. Nothing to argue about due to the clear winner..
CynicalBastard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2008   #2
Rickyricc
Newbie Member

Rickyricc is an unknown quantity at this point
ok you have a fair point but what is this based off?!
Have u actually seen the Euphoria engine in action? Have u played the full game?

Just curious, thats all...
Rickyricc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2008   #3
bonesmccoy
Sabotage

bonesmccoy is an unknown quantity at this point
No need to bash Helen Keller!

Most of the time good graphics do not a good game make. GTA:IV looks, graphically speaking, more expansive and detailed than anything else anyone has ever, Ever!, seen before in a videogame, but there will always be folks who want the photorealism of CoD4 and Crysis in every game they play. The problem is, these grumps fail to release that at some point, a developer must decide what comes first: graphics or gameplay. You would think after 5 installments of GTA games (I exclude the 'stories'), people would realize that these games have always delivered, even when the graphics weren't state-of-the-art.

Last edited by bonesmccoy; 04-16-2008 at 12:10 AM..
bonesmccoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2008   #4
baleent
Banned
Banned

baleent is on a distinguished roadbaleent is on a distinguished roadbaleent is on a distinguished roadbaleent is on a distinguished roadbaleent is on a distinguished road
Eeaasy, tiger!
baleent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2008   #5
X-reS
Looks better in real life.

X-reS is a splendid one to beholdX-reS is a splendid one to beholdX-reS is a splendid one to beholdX-reS is a splendid one to beholdX-reS is a splendid one to beholdX-reS is a splendid one to beholdX-reS is a splendid one to beholdX-reS is a splendid one to beholdX-reS is a splendid one to beholdX-reS is a splendid one to beholdX-reS is a splendid one to behold
Very true GTA has never been about good graphics. I rather they have more things on screen rather then a selected few really good looking things.
Old 04-15-2008   #6
Nite
Addicted PC Gamer

Nite has a brilliant futureNite has a brilliant futureNite has a brilliant futureNite has a brilliant futureNite has a brilliant futureNite has a brilliant futureNite has a brilliant futureNite has a brilliant futureNite has a brilliant futureNite has a brilliant futureNite has a brilliant future
I'm not saying the graphics are bad, its a hell of an improvement over the previous GTA's, they just don't match the quality of the other later games is all (Mafia 2 for example)

i7 2600k @ 4.2Ghz | 16GB Corsair Vengeance DDR3 1333 | 4GB EVGA GTX 770 SC ACX | EVGA Z68 SLI
Nite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2008   #7
Thundercracker

Thundercracker has a reputation beyond reputeThundercracker has a reputation beyond reputeThundercracker has a reputation beyond reputeThundercracker has a reputation beyond reputeThundercracker has a reputation beyond reputeThundercracker has a reputation beyond reputeThundercracker has a reputation beyond reputeThundercracker has a reputation beyond reputeThundercracker has a reputation beyond reputeThundercracker has a reputation beyond reputeThundercracker has a reputation beyond repute
I'm pretty sure that GTA IV offers far more explorative freedom than Mafia and suffers some graphical detail as a result.
Thundercracker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2008   #8
indigo_cyclops
INDIGO
Newbie Member

indigo_cyclops is an unknown quantity at this point
Wink

Actually, I've seen Euphoria in action. Brilliant, it's astonishing how unique this engine is. Just google NaturalMotion and you will find their website. From there you can view videos. May not be GTA, but in 2 weeks you will see all the things on their website videos implemented in-game, and beyond. So yes, GTA IV is incredibly superior graphics-wise considering how much depth and detail is in this OPEN WORLD CITY.

indigo_cyclops is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2008   #9
bonesmccoy
Sabotage

bonesmccoy is an unknown quantity at this point
I'm sure Mafia 2's graphics will be very nice; the original Mafia's graphics were much, much better looking that GTA: III's. And yet even with Mafia's superior graphics, it wasn't the grand and original experience GTA:III was.

I think though to compare Mafia & GTA is to miss the point of each game. Mafia has never tried to emulate the GTA experience, rather it has sought to develop it's on, unique combination of free-roam and rigid, focused gameplay. There was never any reason to go off and really explore Mafia's city outside of the missions a la GTA, and there didn't need to be. The story advanced in a different way, and I doubt the new Mafia will be any different.

What will happen after GTA:IV is a complete reimaging of 'sandbox' games, so it will be very interesting to see how me-too games like Saint's Row 2, Mafia 2, and Just Cause 2 react.
bonesmccoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2008   #10
pacCinHECKLER&K

Both graphics of mafia 2 and IV are superb imo, GTA can only make such a giant step up from the last gen.Compared to mafia,GTA III looked sorta ugly, but Look what it came from. To me IV looks beautiful, but the feel of the GTA expirience by far shuts out the competition.

@bonesmccoy> great point, well said.

Last edited by pacCinHECKLER&K; 04-16-2008 at 01:00 AM..
Old 04-16-2008   #11
optik
王炎

optik is a jewel in the roughoptik is a jewel in the roughoptik is a jewel in the roughoptik is a jewel in the roughoptik is a jewel in the roughoptik is a jewel in the roughoptik is a jewel in the roughoptik is a jewel in the roughoptik is a jewel in the roughoptik is a jewel in the roughoptik is a jewel in the rough
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rickyricc View Post
ok you have a fair point but what is this based off?!
Have u actually seen the Euphoria engine in action? Have u played the full game?
first of all, there are over 200 screenshots in the GTAGaming GTAIV Screenshots Section that show off the graphics pretty nicely. Second, euphoria isn't overly new. it's used in the already available graphics software (available for download, i believe) called Endorphin, and the Euphoria physics engine is demonstrated here, in an advertisement for Endorphin

Last edited by optik; 04-16-2008 at 01:25 AM..
optik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2008   #12
JJagoff
Amateur Member

JJagoff is on a distinguished roadJJagoff is on a distinguished road
I had Mafia on PS2 and it looked terrible! It looked way better on PC, I know, but it's kinda unfair to compare a game that was developed for PS2 and then a later game developed for PC.

Remember, that we don't know which platform the Mafia 2 screenshots are taken from. They might not be as pretty on the consoles. I mean just look at Oblivion on a console and then on a new high end PC. You'll see what I mean.
________
teen videos

Last edited by JJagoff; 02-03-2011 at 06:54 PM..
JJagoff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2008   #13
De7erminist
http://7thzone.net

De7erminist has a spectacular aura aboutDe7erminist has a spectacular aura aboutDe7erminist has a spectacular aura aboutDe7erminist has a spectacular aura aboutDe7erminist has a spectacular aura aboutDe7erminist has a spectacular aura aboutDe7erminist has a spectacular aura aboutDe7erminist has a spectacular aura aboutDe7erminist has a spectacular aura aboutDe7erminist has a spectacular aura aboutDe7erminist has a spectacular aura about
Quote:
Originally Posted by bonesmccoy View Post
I'm sure Mafia 2's graphics will be very nice; the original Mafia's graphics were much, much better looking that GTA: III's. And yet even with Mafia's superior graphics, it wasn't the grand and original experience GTA:III was.

I think though to compare Mafia & GTA is to miss the point of each game. Mafia has never tried to emulate the GTA experience, rather it has sought to develop it's on, unique combination of free-roam and rigid, focused gameplay. There was never any reason to go off and really explore Mafia's city outside of the missions a la GTA, and there didn't need to be. The story advanced in a different way, and I doubt the new Mafia will be any different.

What will happen after GTA:IV is a complete reimaging of 'sandbox' games, so it will be very interesting to see how me-too games like Saint's Row 2, Mafia 2, and Just Cause 2 react.
Well, first thing is, many people do not realize how GTA IV and Mafia 2 are on the same side. They're both funded by Take 2 Interactive. Buy GTA, buy Mafia, no difference there. The same guys make the money. It's just a matter of preference. The old (Mafia 2) or the new (IV).
De7erminist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2008   #14
GottMann
God
Newbie Member

GottMann is an unknown quantity at this point
No matter how the graphics are, Euphoria is really something special we should all be happy to have. It will double the fun of our rampages and senseless murdering.
Old 04-16-2008   #15
DJ Nick
Hellloooo

DJ Nick will become famous soon enoughDJ Nick will become famous soon enoughDJ Nick will become famous soon enoughDJ Nick will become famous soon enoughDJ Nick will become famous soon enoughDJ Nick will become famous soon enoughDJ Nick will become famous soon enough
One thing I've noticed about certain screenshots, is that when the camera view is focused on a certain object (eg, a car, Niko) then objects in the foreground are blurred, but its a 'patchy' sort of blur. Something which stands out from other games.
But, other than that, every screenshot is nice and clear.