Go Back   GTAGaming Forums > Grand Theft Auto > Grand Theft Auto IV
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Old 04-02-2008   #1
phreak
wsup den
Veteran Member

phreak has much to be proud ofphreak has much to be proud ofphreak has much to be proud ofphreak has much to be proud ofphreak has much to be proud ofphreak has much to be proud ofphreak has much to be proud ofphreak has much to be proud ofphreak has much to be proud ofphreak has much to be proud ofphreak has much to be proud of
Interesting View on DLC

Found this article on TheGameReviewers.com that talked about DLC in general and what has done to affect the gaming community. Page 3 of the article got into GTA IV DLC for Xbox 360, which I link to above and quote below.

Quote:
The final area, which bears perhaps the greatest danger, is the fairly new notion of console manufacturers forking over big bucks for the creation of DLC that is exclusive to their platform. Up until this point, almost all DLC for multiplatform games was released at the same time, for the same price, for everyone’s enjoyment. However, Microsoft has thrown a massive wrench into the system with the implementation of special, exclusive content for the 360 version of GTA IV. The obvious gambit is that Microsoft is banking on using the promise of this special, special goodness to lure potential customers away from buying the PS3 version of GTA and instead lining the pockets of everyone in Seattle who doesn’t work for Google. We’ll find out later this month if the gamble will be successful, but if Microsoft realizes big gains, you can expect a bidding war for every major title that comes out from now until the time consoles no longer wander the Earth.
I'm starting to realize just how unfair this is. for those who only have a PS3 are going to miss out on the DLC for GTA IV, and that to me isn't right anymore. At first, I was being cocky because I own a 360 and I knew I wouldn't be one of the many left out. There's people that don't care at all about DLC, and that's fine, I see where you're coming from...But you should at least know you can get it if you want, and not be totally shut out.

Anyway, it goes on to state that bidding wars between the giants will emerge, and that soon DLC alone would determine a person's platform choice instead of the basic game itself. Pretty weird stuff if you ask me, and it's happening as we speak with GTA IV. I'm just a little worried how this is going to turn out, I would like all DLC to be available to everyone someday, it's the way it should be.
Old 04-02-2008   #2
Thundercracker

Thundercracker has a reputation beyond reputeThundercracker has a reputation beyond reputeThundercracker has a reputation beyond reputeThundercracker has a reputation beyond reputeThundercracker has a reputation beyond reputeThundercracker has a reputation beyond reputeThundercracker has a reputation beyond reputeThundercracker has a reputation beyond reputeThundercracker has a reputation beyond reputeThundercracker has a reputation beyond reputeThundercracker has a reputation beyond repute
They did accept the offer.
Thundercracker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2008   #3
Slim Trashman
Sanitation Division

Slim Trashman has a brilliant futureSlim Trashman has a brilliant futureSlim Trashman has a brilliant futureSlim Trashman has a brilliant futureSlim Trashman has a brilliant futureSlim Trashman has a brilliant futureSlim Trashman has a brilliant futureSlim Trashman has a brilliant futureSlim Trashman has a brilliant futureSlim Trashman has a brilliant futureSlim Trashman has a brilliant future
Yes it is very unfair.
Old 04-02-2008   #4
smoking12
Banned
Banned

smoking12 is an unknown quantity at this point
So the DLC will only give us more hours of gameplay or clothes and weps or both?
smoking12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2008   #5
Zidane

Zidane has a reputation beyond reputeZidane has a reputation beyond reputeZidane has a reputation beyond reputeZidane has a reputation beyond reputeZidane has a reputation beyond reputeZidane has a reputation beyond reputeZidane has a reputation beyond reputeZidane has a reputation beyond reputeZidane has a reputation beyond reputeZidane has a reputation beyond reputeZidane has a reputation beyond repute
Bethesda did it right by distributing Oblivion's DLC to both consoles and the PC version. However, I believe exclusive platform DLC is just stupid.
Old 04-02-2008   #6
Slim Trashman
Sanitation Division

Slim Trashman has a brilliant futureSlim Trashman has a brilliant futureSlim Trashman has a brilliant futureSlim Trashman has a brilliant futureSlim Trashman has a brilliant futureSlim Trashman has a brilliant futureSlim Trashman has a brilliant futureSlim Trashman has a brilliant futureSlim Trashman has a brilliant futureSlim Trashman has a brilliant futureSlim Trashman has a brilliant future
Stupid for the other consumer, but you could call it genius strategy for Microsoft.
Old 04-02-2008   #7
baleent
Banned
Banned

baleent is on a distinguished roadbaleent is on a distinguished roadbaleent is on a distinguished roadbaleent is on a distinguished roadbaleent is on a distinguished road
Remember when GTA was only come out on playstation?
baleent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2008   #8
Zidane

Zidane has a reputation beyond reputeZidane has a reputation beyond reputeZidane has a reputation beyond reputeZidane has a reputation beyond reputeZidane has a reputation beyond reputeZidane has a reputation beyond reputeZidane has a reputation beyond reputeZidane has a reputation beyond reputeZidane has a reputation beyond reputeZidane has a reputation beyond reputeZidane has a reputation beyond repute
That's because the Xbox wasn't available in all regions yet. They ported it over one year later.
Old 04-03-2008   #9
Jeffro!
Self Proclaimed god of gaming? No wait you claimed it

Jeffro! is an unknown quantity at this point
Yeah im a sony fanboy to tell the truth. But it doesnt make me to upset i mean yeah im gona miss out on some stuff. But when it comes down to it GTA is about playing the game and having fun not spending tons of money on stuff that u will have fun with for about 10 mins

Sony fanboy.

PS3 Owner
Jeffro! is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2008   #10
Jakenz
Neg rep me please i need the most

Jakenz is infamous around these partsJakenz is infamous around these partsJakenz is infamous around these partsJakenz is infamous around these partsJakenz is infamous around these partsJakenz is infamous around these partsJakenz is infamous around these parts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeffro! View Post
Yeah im a sony fanboy to tell the truth. But it doesnt make me to upset i mean yeah im gona miss out on some stuff. But when it comes down to it GTA is about playing the game and having fun not spending tons of money on stuff that u will have fun with for about 10 mins

i think its quoted somewhere "the DLC will bring hours of new gameplay" so im thinking it would be another mission strand. Im a gta fanboy and im a sucker for anything gta, so even if it was like 10 new weapons or something which it wont be it will be much more, i would still get it.

hell ive got all gtas on pc and VC 3 and SA on xbox lol
Gigabyte GA-965P-DQ6 Intel P965

-780 point(s) from 193 reps (59 positive, 121 negative, 13 neutral lol
Jakenz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2008   #11
Jimmy_86
Think!

Jimmy_86 has much to be proud ofJimmy_86 has much to be proud ofJimmy_86 has much to be proud ofJimmy_86 has much to be proud ofJimmy_86 has much to be proud ofJimmy_86 has much to be proud ofJimmy_86 has much to be proud ofJimmy_86 has much to be proud ofJimmy_86 has much to be proud ofJimmy_86 has much to be proud ofJimmy_86 has much to be proud of
Interesting read. The GTA IV exclusive content is all about selling consoles for MS, the chances of them making $50 million back from the DLC alone (especially considering some of the cost goes to T2/R*) is slim. It'll be interesting to see what happens.

Like it says, as long as we all don't pay for stupid small stuff then hopefully it will go away or at least not cost anything.
Jimmy_86 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2008   #12
Jeffro!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jakenz View Post
i think its quoted somewhere "the DLC will bring hours of new gameplay" so im thinking it would be another mission strand. Im a gta fanboy and im a sucker for anything gta, so even if it was like 10 new weapons or something which it wont be it will be much more, i would still get it.

hell ive got all gtas on pc and VC 3 and SA on xbox lol

Yeah i love GTA too but the point im trying to get across is that the system with a stronger fan base will most likely get the DLC because it will earn more money for the company.

Sony fanboy.

PS3 Owner
Old 04-03-2008   #13
JJagoff
Amateur Member

JJagoff is on a distinguished roadJJagoff is on a distinguished road
I was always aiming to get a PS3, since I loved my PS2 to bits, but kinda backed out in the last minute and went for a 360. And I certainly haven't regretted it since, even despite one instance of Ring of Death, (and thus a full 15 days of no Xbox, terrible!).

The GTA episodes being exclusive just makes me even happier I decided to go for the 360. : )
________
Mercedes-Benz 320 history

Last edited by JJagoff; 02-03-2011 at 06:44 PM..
JJagoff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2008   #14
Jeffro!

Thats good for you man. I dont have an 360 but i got a ps3 and it really hasnt dissapointed me at all. I mean i might miss out on a mission or two but it doesnt upset me.

Sony fanboy.

PS3 Owner
Old 04-03-2008   #15
phreak
wsup den
Veteran Member

phreak has much to be proud ofphreak has much to be proud ofphreak has much to be proud ofphreak has much to be proud ofphreak has much to be proud ofphreak has much to be proud ofphreak has much to be proud ofphreak has much to be proud ofphreak has much to be proud ofphreak has much to be proud ofphreak has much to be proud of
It's supposed to add like "hours and hours" of new gameplay. Deal is, why not just add that to make an already great game even better? More out of the box is always the best thing. I totally understand bonus weapon and clothes packs as being DLC...But what Microsoft has dropped their gigantic wallet on is supposed to be quite big, like a huge chunk of the storyline added on. It's unfair that it had to come to this, especially with some of Rockstar's most loyal fans owning only a PS3, they feel abandoned now. But as Jimmy said, it was done to sell more Xbox 360s.