Go Back   GTAGaming Forums > Grand Theft Auto > Grand Theft Auto IV
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Old 04-02-2008   #1
nikobellic

nikobellic is an unknown quantity at this point
Unhappy Australian Censorship and GTAIV

Following the UK classification, I dont know if it was mentioned previously?
But I did a search on the Australian Classification board and came up with this...

GRAND THEFT AUTO IV Game (Multi Platform)
Classification MA 15+ (Not suitable for people under 15. Under 15s must be accompanied by a parent or adult guardian)
Consumer Advice Strong violence, Strong coarse language, Drug and sexual references
Category Computer Games
Version ORIGINAL
Duration variable
Date of Classification 11 December 2007
Author ROCKSTAR NORTH
Publisher ROCKSTAR GAMES
Production Company ROCKSTAR GAMES
Country of Origin UK
Applicant TAKE 2 INTERACTIVE SOFTWARE
File Number T07/6147
Classification Number 5273444B

REF:http://www.classification.gov.au/special.html?n=46&p=156&sProductionCompany=Rocksta r&sMediaFilm=1&sMediaPublications=1&sMediaGames=1& sDateFromM=1&sDateFromY=1970&sDateToM=4&sDateToY=2 008&record=224873

Notice the date of classification....December last year.

My question (and hopefully I get an educated response rather than a bullsh!t one)..

Has Rockstar submitted a pre-edited version of GTAIV so that it passes the ridiculously outdated rating system for games sold in Australia? Is the copy being sold in Aus exactly the same as everywhere else?
nikobellic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2008   #2
Display Nick/Name taken

Display Nick/Name taken is an unknown quantity at this point
It's going to be the same uncut version that everyone else gets.
Display Nick/Name taken is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2008   #3
nikobellic

Smile

Is this confirmed? I guess that might be why they submitted it in Dec last year...so that if it was knocked back then they had time to edit it for us poor buggers down under.

In light of that Im glad I didnt bother pre-ordering from NZ this time....cos I has to bloody wait for my copy of San Andreas to arrive after the release date.

Hey thanks for your reply too man.....I wouldnt mind something on an official level though......atleast with a bit of evidence backing it.

Last edited by nikobellic; 04-03-2008 at 07:44 AM..
Old 04-03-2008   #4
Jimmy_86
Think!

Jimmy_86 has much to be proud ofJimmy_86 has much to be proud ofJimmy_86 has much to be proud ofJimmy_86 has much to be proud ofJimmy_86 has much to be proud ofJimmy_86 has much to be proud ofJimmy_86 has much to be proud ofJimmy_86 has much to be proud ofJimmy_86 has much to be proud ofJimmy_86 has much to be proud ofJimmy_86 has much to be proud of
Quote:
Originally Posted by nikobellic View Post
Is this confirmed? I guess that might be why they submitted it in Dec last year...so that if it was knocked back then they had time to edit it for us poor buggers down under.
That actually makes sense.

I thought it was odd why the Australian rating came through quite a bit before the others.
Jimmy_86 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2008   #5
m_richy66
I hate censorship!

m_richy66 will become famous soon enoughm_richy66 will become famous soon enoughm_richy66 will become famous soon enoughm_richy66 will become famous soon enoughm_richy66 will become famous soon enoughm_richy66 will become famous soon enough
Quote:
Following the UK classification, I dont know if it was mentioned previously?
But I did a search on the Australian Classification board and came up with this...

GRAND THEFT AUTO IV Game (Multi Platform)
Classification MA 15+ (Not suitable for people under 15. Under 15s must be accompanied by a parent or adult guardian)
Consumer Advice Strong violence, Strong coarse language, Drug and sexual references
Category Computer Games
Version ORIGINAL
Duration variable
Date of Classification 11 December 2007
Author ROCKSTAR NORTH
Publisher ROCKSTAR GAMES
Production Company ROCKSTAR GAMES
Country of Origin UK
File Number T07/6147
Classification Number 5273444B

REF:http://www.classification.gov.au/special.html?n=46&p=156&sProductionCompany=Rocksta r&sMediaFilm=1&sMediaPublications=1&sMediaGames=1& sDateFromM=1&sDateFromY=1970&sDateToM=4&sDateToY=2 008&record=224873

Notice the date of classification....December last year.

My question (and hopefully I get an educated response rather than a bullsh!t one)..

Has Rockstar submitted a pre-edited version of GTAIV so that it passes the ridiculously outdated rating system for games sold in Australia? Is the copy being sold in Aus exactly the same as everywhere else?

Funny you should say that because I looked this up last night. Notice how is says

"Version ORIGINAL"

That means that it is not cut.

Other games like GTA 3 do not show ORIGINAL as the version
Old 04-03-2008   #6
nikobellic

beep beep richy, I see what your saying, but if Rockstar presented Aus censorship with a pre-edited version of the game then they would consider it as the original! You will notice with past GTA games that its only the edited versions which get a rating because the "Original" has been Refused Classification.

Its pretty clear now though that this version is the original, being the exact same as copy thats going to be sold in the USA, UK, Europe, Asia and NZ. Which is fantastic news, just wait for the predictable product recall within about 1-3 months because parents start to complain about the game their 15yo is playing.

Playstation Loyalist, but XBOX360 convert.
Old 04-03-2008   #7
Jimmy_86
Think!

Jimmy_86 has much to be proud ofJimmy_86 has much to be proud ofJimmy_86 has much to be proud ofJimmy_86 has much to be proud ofJimmy_86 has much to be proud ofJimmy_86 has much to be proud ofJimmy_86 has much to be proud ofJimmy_86 has much to be proud ofJimmy_86 has much to be proud ofJimmy_86 has much to be proud ofJimmy_86 has much to be proud of
Quote:
just wait for the predictable product recall within about 1-3 months because parents start to complain about the game their 15yo is playing.
It's rated MA15+ in Australia anyway so 15 year olds can play it legally.
Jimmy_86 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2008   #8
nikobellic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jimmy_86 View Post
It's rated MA15+ in Australia anyway so 15 year olds can play it legally.
Yes it will be perfectly legal but that hasnt stopped parents in the past to complain about the games content etc....which has resulted in past GTA games being recalled and edited.

Good news though, the Federal Government is looking at updating legislation to include an R18+ rating for games, which is about bloody time!!!! The latest survey has indicated that the average age of gamers is 28.

Old 04-03-2008   #9
m_richy66
I hate censorship!

m_richy66 will become famous soon enoughm_richy66 will become famous soon enoughm_richy66 will become famous soon enoughm_richy66 will become famous soon enoughm_richy66 will become famous soon enoughm_richy66 will become famous soon enough
Quote:
beep beep richy, I see what your saying, but if Rockstar presented Aus censorship with a pre-edited version of the game then they would consider it as the original! You will notice with past GTA games that its only the edited versions which get a rating because the "Original" has been Refused Classification.

Its pretty clear now though that this version is the original, being the exact same as copy thats going to be sold in the USA, UK, Europe, Asia and NZ. Which is fantastic news, just wait for the predictable product recall within about 1-3 months because parents start to complain about the game their 15yo is playing.

GRAND THEFT AUTO III Game (Playstation 2)

Classification MA 15 +
Consumer Advice High level animated violence

Category Computer Games
Version REVISED <------------------------------
Duration variable
Date of Classification 17 January 2002
Author NOT SHOWN
Publisher TAKE 2 INTERACTIVE
Production Company NOT SHOWN
Country of Origin UK
File Number T01/2716
Classification Number 4314516C

Also you have to remember. When we get a game that has been "REVISED" it is delayed for about a month to 2 months. This happened for all GTA games expect San Andreas because for some very odd reason... it wasn’t cut.... then looked what happened

But if the Australian version has been f*cked with in anyway way im buying a copy off Ebay from the UK/NZ asap.

I was hoping that IV would be the first game to be rated 18+ with the new laws coming in

Last edited by m_richy66; 04-03-2008 at 08:30 AM..
m_richy66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2008   #10
nikobellic

"I was hoping that IV would be the first game to be rated 18+ with the new laws coming in"

Changing legislation takes forever, it might be in by the time GTA V comes out though!! LOL

Old 04-03-2008   #11
m_richy66
I hate censorship!

Quote:
Some Awesome news on the GTA front for Australia anyway.

Quote:
A few of our readers have been emailing in and asking whether the Australian version of Grand Theft Auto IV would be censored in any way.

Well, we decided to check with Rockstar, who provided the response that many Australians have been waiting for. A Rockstar spokesperson provided the following response to the question of whether GTA IV has been censored "No GTA has been censored since Vice City. (Grand Theft Auto) IV has been rated in its entirety, the rating is on the OFLC website"

Good news all round then, it's safe to buy the game from Australia on the 29th of April, now we're just counting the days.

Source:http://palgn.com.au/article.php?id=1...ely+uncensored

Although the comment about never being censored is wrong, as the "Hot Coffee" bit from San Andreas was eventually cut out, it is still fantastic news.

http://www.bigfooty.com/forum/showthread.php?t=412675
Old 04-03-2008   #12
Astinger

Astinger is an unknown quantity at this point
Ohhh!!! man it better not be... i was watching "Level 3" on channel 31... lol yes i know RANDOM!!...
They even said it was not going to be censored...

As Australia, Germany... and another country, which i forget have let it through... so my hopes are up!! =D WoooT
IVIVIV
Astinger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2008   #13
m_richy66
I hate censorship!

http://www.gtagaming.com/gtagaming/n...nts.php?i=1250

Im logging onto Ebay as i type this

Fuck the OFLC Im sick of them
Old 04-04-2008   #14
nikobellic

Grand Theft Auto IV censored in Australia-gtagaming frontpage news

Im sure you have all seen and read it by now! What was a saying before?

F#8K I knew it!!!! I thought I would gamble with it and hope that it wouldnt be......I just fully paid for my Collectors Edition last night too......I might cancel it and order it from NZ!! that means I wont get it on the 29th though....