Go Back   GTAGaming Forums > Grand Theft Auto > Grand Theft Auto IV
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Old 11-25-2013   #1
whocares

whocares is an unknown quantity at this point
Tips please? Any collision thoughts would help.

Hi,

I'm a big fan of military vehicle mods and would like to put a "base" type map mod together to collect and showcase them. I found an aircraft carrier called Nimitz by skylinegtrfreak. It would definitely do the trick. I've managed to relocate the ship so it's docked at heli tour dock in lower manhat, but don't have 3ds and can't find a way to cheat the collision file into location. The boat is not solid. It looks awesome, but is useless without being solid.

Is there anyway to move the collision or force the object solid with a script or the draw distance? Or some other cool way that a new guy wouldn't think of?

I'm learning but definitely new, so sorry if that's a stupid question.

Thanks for any help!
whocares is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2013   #2
Killerfist
Arms Dealer
Addicted Member

Killerfist is a splendid one to beholdKillerfist is a splendid one to beholdKillerfist is a splendid one to beholdKillerfist is a splendid one to beholdKillerfist is a splendid one to beholdKillerfist is a splendid one to beholdKillerfist is a splendid one to beholdKillerfist is a splendid one to beholdKillerfist is a splendid one to beholdKillerfist is a splendid one to beholdKillerfist is a splendid one to behold
I guess your best option would be to use simple native trainer (http://www.gta4-mods.com/script/simp...rsion-65-f2115)

What you can do is spawn objects roughly the same size as the boat, then place them on top of the deck and make them invisible. That way you have a solid ground and it'll look like the vehicles are actually on the boat itself

You can also use simple native trainer to spawn those cars you want on there
Killerfist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2013   #3
whocares

Thanks for taking a minute to reply!

I have a trainer installed and have messed with something along those lines. After spawning and placing everything, I used the placement tool and loki's excel sheet to add the objects to the wpl file. Unfortunately, they all collapsed. They were all solid when spawned with the trainer. They look right at first but as soon as you touch them they collapse. I probably need to find a better object. Any suggestions on large, flat, and thin objects? The boat has an interior I'd like to make solid also, so something tall like the oil tanks won't really work. It would work for the deck, but the interior would be blocked off.

I never got to making them invisible. Is there a way to do that in the wpl or only in trainer?

Thanks again for any thoughts!
Old 11-30-2013   #4
Killerfist
Arms Dealer
Addicted Member

Killerfist is a splendid one to beholdKillerfist is a splendid one to beholdKillerfist is a splendid one to beholdKillerfist is a splendid one to beholdKillerfist is a splendid one to beholdKillerfist is a splendid one to beholdKillerfist is a splendid one to beholdKillerfist is a splendid one to beholdKillerfist is a splendid one to beholdKillerfist is a splendid one to beholdKillerfist is a splendid one to behold
Only experience I have with this is doing it all ingame, if you just use one of those options in the trainer where you can fly.. you just hover over the aircraft carrier and place those objects using the trainer. You should be able to make it invisible if you select something along the lines of 'edit last spawned object' (been a while since I've used it )

When you're done just stand on the aircraft carrier and spawn those cars, all this will be one time only though.. the minute you exit the game all those spawned objects will be gone again. But since it's only for the purpose of making screenshots that should be enough right?
Old 12-01-2013   #5
whocares

Thanks. You can use the trainer to spawn objects, save them to the objects.ini, and reload whenever. Or... you can use the object placement tool v2.2 to place the objects that you saved in the trainer, into the games wpl files. That will cause them to show up without loading them in the trainer and become part of the game.

The carrier is too large and complex for me to skin with objects, so until i figure out the collision for it, i'm on hold with the rest of the project.

I know it could be done with 3ds max, but i'm trying to avoid that (no $).

I found a version of the carrier for gta sa (.dff format) that i was able to import into zmodeler. Once i figured out the textures in zmodeler, i was able to export as a wdr. I haven't been able to get it into the game yet though. It shows up in the wdr viewer in open iv, but not in my map. I am kind of winging it with adding it, so i may be doing that wrong. I've been following the same set up the mod came with. A new data/maps/nimitz folder, with new nimitz .img, .ide, .wpl files in it. Also edited the gta.dat and images text as instructed with the mod. In the maps/nimitz folder I replaced the four .wdr files with my single .wdr file and edited the .ide and .wpl in what seemed like a logical way.

That's all working under the assumption that the zomdeler export will be solid. I've also read that you can't really use zmodler for maps, but i'm stubborn and the fact that i can see it in open iv makes it seem like it should be possible.

The original carrier mod had the boat split up into 4 pieces (4 wdr files). When i exported i only created 1. So, my next attempt will be to match the hiarchy in zmodeler and export the object in the same four pieces.

If anyone knows that this won't work, please let me know. I'm discovering that modding requires wasting large amounts of time on the computer. I guess the challenge is fun though.

Anyone think if i reached out to the mod creater he (or she) would be open to moving it for me? Seems like people would be understandably touchy about others reworking their projects. This is all personal use though. Really just a learning experience.

Thanks for replies...

Last edited by whocares; 12-01-2013 at 06:55 AM..
Old 12-02-2013   #6
whocares

I succeeded at exporting a .wdr from zmodeler an importing it into the game. It looks right and game play is fine but no collisions. So I'm back where I started only I have more options now. Not sure if that's a good or bad thing.

Next is trying to figure out adding a collision to the model in zmodeler. I tried duplicating pieces of the model and adding the [COL] tail to the name like with a car, but that didn't do it. I read somewhere that you need to import a model, then export, and then reimport to get the right hierarchy or something. I'll look for than tutorial (I think it was for weapons). Maybe I can mimic that somehow.

If anyone has had any luck using zmodeler this way, I'd love to know how it went...

Last edited by whocares; 12-02-2013 at 08:19 PM..
Old 12-03-2013   #7
Killerfist
Arms Dealer
Addicted Member

I've always hated working with zmodeler, that's why I forced myself to learn to convert guns using solely autodesk 3ds max. I'd say try sending a PM to one of the modders that create those extra islands or something like that. They will have had to add collision to those maps.
Old 12-04-2013   #8
whocares

That makes sense, I'll give it a try. Anyone active you'd recommend?
Old 12-04-2013   #9
rappo
Professional Dumbass

rappo is a God.rappo is a God.rappo is a God.rappo is a God.rappo is a God.rappo is a God.rappo is a God.rappo is a God.rappo is a God.rappo is a God.rappo is a God.
Here are a few users that might be able to help:

Quechus9
kazumaByOZ
IIZACHARIAHII
FreeZiic
Old 12-05-2013   #10
whocares

Being anxious to figure this out I pm'd Oleg from zmodeler and he said (if I understand him right) that zmodeler basically doesn't touch collisions on wdr files.

I tried importing a shipping container into zmodeler, that I can spawn anywhere and have it be solid. I then turned around and exported it from zmodeler without any changes. I can still spawn it anywhere and have it be solid. So that makes me think there are two types of collision files in gta iv. Some hard coded based on map location, and some that are coded to match spawnable object locations.

Can anyone confirm or deny that theory? If so I'd be very interested in learning more about the second type.

Thanks for any help.