Go Back   GTAGaming Forums > Grand Theft Auto > Grand Theft Auto V
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Old 09-13-2013   #1
J.Orlando

J.Orlando has a spectacular aura aboutJ.Orlando has a spectacular aura aboutJ.Orlando has a spectacular aura aboutJ.Orlando has a spectacular aura aboutJ.Orlando has a spectacular aura aboutJ.Orlando has a spectacular aura aboutJ.Orlando has a spectacular aura aboutJ.Orlando has a spectacular aura aboutJ.Orlando has a spectacular aura aboutJ.Orlando has a spectacular aura aboutJ.Orlando has a spectacular aura about
Music from the first 3 trailers -- what were they trying to say?

I just gave this about ten minutes worth of thought, so don't believe that I'm onto something "big" here. But it is somewhat interesting, I feel.

Songs from the first three trailers:

"Ogden's Nut Gone Flake" by Small Faces
"Skeletons" by Stevie Wonder
"Radio Ga Ga" by Queen

(I'm not counting the next two songs from Franklin and Trevor's debut trailers, because if I did, I wouldn't be able to make my point.) Ha ha ha...

But really -- what do these three songs have in common?

Give up?

It's easy:

The lead singers/frontmen from the acts or bands showcased by these songs cannot play this game. And it is sad.

The reason why they can't play the game is that, in the case of Small Faces, Steve Marriott is dead -- in the case of Queen, Freddie Mercury is dead -- and in the case of Stevie Wonder -- he's blind. Steve Marriott died in his sleep after a lighted cigarette reportedly burned. Freddie died of AIDS. And Stevie, while able to see initially after being born, lost his eyesight progressively and quickly.

Anyway, this is probably a throwaway thread. But I thought that it was, as I wrote, kind of interesting. And it makes me wonder whether Rockstar were trying to SAY something with these song selections. I know that they certainly put quite a lot of thought into the music that accompanies their games.

Even so, I imagine that the above sad stories are incidental to the game itself.

Or maybe not.

Last edited by J.Orlando; 09-13-2013 at 04:21 PM..
J.Orlando is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2013   #2
j_harvill

j_harvill is a glorious beacon of lightj_harvill is a glorious beacon of lightj_harvill is a glorious beacon of lightj_harvill is a glorious beacon of lightj_harvill is a glorious beacon of lightj_harvill is a glorious beacon of lightj_harvill is a glorious beacon of lightj_harvill is a glorious beacon of lightj_harvill is a glorious beacon of lightj_harvill is a glorious beacon of lightj_harvill is a glorious beacon of light
Interesting observation
Old 09-13-2013   #3
Algonquin
Da Bear
Addicted Member

Algonquin has a spectacular aura aboutAlgonquin has a spectacular aura aboutAlgonquin has a spectacular aura aboutAlgonquin has a spectacular aura aboutAlgonquin has a spectacular aura aboutAlgonquin has a spectacular aura aboutAlgonquin has a spectacular aura aboutAlgonquin has a spectacular aura aboutAlgonquin has a spectacular aura aboutAlgonquin has a spectacular aura aboutAlgonquin has a spectacular aura about
perhaps a small commentary on whoever selected the songs on the failure of modern music :3
Old 09-13-2013   #4
Havok_Jro
I'm The Best At Space

Havok_Jro has a reputation beyond reputeHavok_Jro has a reputation beyond reputeHavok_Jro has a reputation beyond reputeHavok_Jro has a reputation beyond reputeHavok_Jro has a reputation beyond reputeHavok_Jro has a reputation beyond reputeHavok_Jro has a reputation beyond reputeHavok_Jro has a reputation beyond reputeHavok_Jro has a reputation beyond reputeHavok_Jro has a reputation beyond reputeHavok_Jro has a reputation beyond repute
You really like grabbing at the tiniest of things don't you ?
Havok_Jro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2013   #5
Algonquin
Da Bear
Addicted Member

Algonquin has a spectacular aura aboutAlgonquin has a spectacular aura aboutAlgonquin has a spectacular aura aboutAlgonquin has a spectacular aura aboutAlgonquin has a spectacular aura aboutAlgonquin has a spectacular aura aboutAlgonquin has a spectacular aura aboutAlgonquin has a spectacular aura aboutAlgonquin has a spectacular aura aboutAlgonquin has a spectacular aura aboutAlgonquin has a spectacular aura about
the fuck else do we have to do in the days leading up to launch

were all just kinda sitting here going "Well.... only a few more days" might as well go in depth and dissect more, cuz why the hell not.
Old 09-13-2013   #6
Havok_Jro
I'm The Best At Space

Havok_Jro has a reputation beyond reputeHavok_Jro has a reputation beyond reputeHavok_Jro has a reputation beyond reputeHavok_Jro has a reputation beyond reputeHavok_Jro has a reputation beyond reputeHavok_Jro has a reputation beyond reputeHavok_Jro has a reputation beyond reputeHavok_Jro has a reputation beyond reputeHavok_Jro has a reputation beyond reputeHavok_Jro has a reputation beyond reputeHavok_Jro has a reputation beyond repute
Before, like a week or two ago I was hype and annoyed that I couldn't play it now, now with only 3 days left, I'm just chill and like, Monday night i'm good nigga
Old 09-13-2013   #7
j_harvill

j_harvill is a glorious beacon of lightj_harvill is a glorious beacon of lightj_harvill is a glorious beacon of lightj_harvill is a glorious beacon of lightj_harvill is a glorious beacon of lightj_harvill is a glorious beacon of lightj_harvill is a glorious beacon of lightj_harvill is a glorious beacon of lightj_harvill is a glorious beacon of lightj_harvill is a glorious beacon of lightj_harvill is a glorious beacon of light
I'm having mixed reactions. One minute is like ok cool less than 4 days away now. Then it's like jesus fucking christ could these hours go any slower? I'm just going to drink heavily untili go to work Monday.
Old 09-13-2013   #8
Havok_Jro
I'm The Best At Space

I'm working Sunday and Monday so I'm fine with a distraction.
Old 09-13-2013   #9
Algonquin
Da Bear
Addicted Member

I've been sporadically playing games, but i want GTAV so bad that i just end up getting bored.

Eventually i always end up just watching T.V or reading a book. I'm on the last two short stories of Asimov's Complete Robot. And I only started reading it like last week.
Old 09-13-2013   #10
Pignoah
While you make pretty speeches.

Pignoah has much to be proud ofPignoah has much to be proud ofPignoah has much to be proud ofPignoah has much to be proud ofPignoah has much to be proud ofPignoah has much to be proud ofPignoah has much to be proud ofPignoah has much to be proud ofPignoah has much to be proud ofPignoah has much to be proud ofPignoah has much to be proud of
i got rayman legends and it's pretty fantastic

between lol/dota/work/gf i dont have much time anyway

gtav will just replace my mobas.
Old 09-13-2013   #11
j_harvill

King of the hill passes a lot of down time for me.
Old 09-13-2013   #12
jwrebholz
Cola-addled Smartass

jwrebholz has a spectacular aura aboutjwrebholz has a spectacular aura aboutjwrebholz has a spectacular aura aboutjwrebholz has a spectacular aura aboutjwrebholz has a spectacular aura aboutjwrebholz has a spectacular aura aboutjwrebholz has a spectacular aura aboutjwrebholz has a spectacular aura aboutjwrebholz has a spectacular aura aboutjwrebholz has a spectacular aura aboutjwrebholz has a spectacular aura about
Well, let's look at the lyrics.

...okay, we can't do that for the first one--it's an instrumental. But it's a nice one, very atmospheric and I think it suited the mood they were going for very well. Made the game seem dramatic.

So the "Skeletons" trailer. The song is all about the lies people tell and the secrets they keep from others, and how those secrets always eventually find their way out into the light. I think there's something very important to be had there. I'm willing to bet Michael isn't telling his family he's getting back into the business, and there's a strong chance this is going to come to a head at some point in the game. He COULD end up getting thrown out of his house--or the wife will leave and take the kids with her. It's a possibility, all I'm saying.

Now for the "Michael/Franklin/Trevor" trailer. There's meaning here too.
Queen's "Radio Ga-Ga" is a song about a media that many thought was on its way out (written in the 1980s, the heyday of music videos). The song pines for days gone by when times were better. Michael, aparently, feels the same way about his life.

I'm not as familiar with the other two songs in this trailer, so for now I'll refrain from comment.
jwrebholz is offline   Reply With Quote