Old 08-13-2013   #1
NismoTuned

NismoTuned is an unknown quantity at this point
Less than spectacular Framerate?

Hey guys, I was curious what kind of framerates you all were achieving with your systems. I have an Intel i7-3770k at stock clock, a GTX 660 Ti 2GB (MSi Power Edition), 8GB of RAM. The benchmark is giving me an AVG framerate of around 66-68FPS, yet when I am in game my framerate slows down to about 45FPS average. Very unimpressive. I have my settings at ultra/max. Battlefield 3 Gets better framerates for some odd reason. Also, I'm currently running Vanilla GTA IV 1070.
NismoTuned is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2013   #2
Offended_by_Everything
Social Justice Warrior

Offended_by_Everything has a reputation beyond reputeOffended_by_Everything has a reputation beyond reputeOffended_by_Everything has a reputation beyond reputeOffended_by_Everything has a reputation beyond reputeOffended_by_Everything has a reputation beyond reputeOffended_by_Everything has a reputation beyond reputeOffended_by_Everything has a reputation beyond reputeOffended_by_Everything has a reputation beyond reputeOffended_by_Everything has a reputation beyond reputeOffended_by_Everything has a reputation beyond reputeOffended_by_Everything has a reputation beyond repute
The game is just that poorly optimized for PC. You should feel lucky getting the framerate you're getting, even if it is on a disproportionately powerful PC. I get about 30 fps average on maxed settings on a 2500k \ HD 6950 \ 8GB \ Win7, which is significantly less powerful than your PC but should still chew through the average game from 2008 as well.
One thing that may help if you're that serious about your framerate is turning off Vsync (if you even have it on) to keep the dips slightly higher. Turning all settings to High rather than Very High also gives you a massive framerate gain (much bigger than the graphics actually drop in quality because of it), but that would probably hurt your pride as owner of such a powerful gaming PC :p
Old 08-14-2013   #3
NismoTuned

NismoTuned is an unknown quantity at this point
Quote:
Originally Posted by ZCAB View Post
The game is just that poorly optimized for PC. You should feel lucky getting the framerate you're getting, even if it is on a disproportionately powerful PC. I get about 30 fps average on maxed settings on a 2500k \ HD 6950 \ 8GB \ Win7, which is significantly less powerful than your PC but should still chew through the average game from 2008 as well.
One thing that may help if you're that serious about your framerate is turning off Vsync (if you even have it on) to keep the dips slightly higher. Turning all settings to High rather than Very High also gives you a massive framerate gain (much bigger than the graphics actually drop in quality because of it), but that would probably hurt your pride as owner of such a powerful gaming PC :p
I already have Vsync off. What kind of gains were you seeing when you switched from very high to high? I was thinking about switching from 16x af to 8x but I honestly know nothing about AF so I don't know which to choose. I do know it doesn't effect performance too much.
NismoTuned is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2013   #4
Killerfist
Arms Dealer
Addicted Member

Killerfist is a splendid one to beholdKillerfist is a splendid one to beholdKillerfist is a splendid one to beholdKillerfist is a splendid one to beholdKillerfist is a splendid one to beholdKillerfist is a splendid one to beholdKillerfist is a splendid one to beholdKillerfist is a splendid one to beholdKillerfist is a splendid one to beholdKillerfist is a splendid one to beholdKillerfist is a splendid one to behold
What helped alot for me (wierdly) is turning off the night shadows, I couldn't really notice all that much difference graphics wise but performance went up by alot.
Killerfist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2013   #5
Offended_by_Everything
Social Justice Warrior

Offended_by_Everything has a reputation beyond reputeOffended_by_Everything has a reputation beyond reputeOffended_by_Everything has a reputation beyond reputeOffended_by_Everything has a reputation beyond reputeOffended_by_Everything has a reputation beyond reputeOffended_by_Everything has a reputation beyond reputeOffended_by_Everything has a reputation beyond reputeOffended_by_Everything has a reputation beyond reputeOffended_by_Everything has a reputation beyond reputeOffended_by_Everything has a reputation beyond reputeOffended_by_Everything has a reputation beyond repute
Quote:
Originally Posted by NismoTuned View Post
I already have Vsync off. What kind of gains were you seeing when you switched from very high to high? I was thinking about switching from 16x af to 8x but I honestly know nothing about AF so I don't know which to choose. I do know it doesn't effect performance too much.
I gain about 10 fps average from dropping to High, and 10 more if I lower the draw distance and detail distance sliders to 50% (with vehicle density still at 100). This combined gives me an average 45-50 fps compared to 30 fps at maxed settings. Since you have a much faster GPU \ CPU combination than I do, however, you're not likely to get nearly as much of a gain from lowering settings as I do.

45 fps is more than playable for GTA IV, and although it's ridiculous that a five year old game doesn't run better than that on a PC like yours, you're not going to gain more than a couple of fps by dropping settings without making some serious sacrifices in graphical quality that just won't be worth it. You should just keep it at maxed settings (unless it stutters) and be glad it still runs as well as it does.

A tip about AF for games in general: turn it to 16x on any game you play. It's subtle in what it actually does (read the Wikipedia article on it for a description and examples), but it's also very inexpensive on modern hardware and barely dents your framerate. This is especially true for games that have it as a setting in the options menu like GTA IV, since those games were designed to use it.