Old 06-25-2013   #1
Lynk
Oh shit, I'm feeling it

Lynk has a reputation beyond reputeLynk has a reputation beyond reputeLynk has a reputation beyond reputeLynk has a reputation beyond reputeLynk has a reputation beyond reputeLynk has a reputation beyond reputeLynk has a reputation beyond reputeLynk has a reputation beyond reputeLynk has a reputation beyond reputeLynk has a reputation beyond reputeLynk has a reputation beyond repute
Regarding PS4

What the fuck can I do with my HD-Ready, HDMI-less TV? I have a coverter for VGA, but that leaves it without audio.

pls respond
Old 06-25-2013   #2
Killerfist
Arms Dealer
Addicted Member

Killerfist is a splendid one to beholdKillerfist is a splendid one to beholdKillerfist is a splendid one to beholdKillerfist is a splendid one to beholdKillerfist is a splendid one to beholdKillerfist is a splendid one to beholdKillerfist is a splendid one to beholdKillerfist is a splendid one to beholdKillerfist is a splendid one to beholdKillerfist is a splendid one to beholdKillerfist is a splendid one to behold
PS4 controller has a headphone jack, so I guess you could use that for audio
Killerfist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2013   #3
Lynk
Oh shit, I'm feeling it

Lynk has a reputation beyond reputeLynk has a reputation beyond reputeLynk has a reputation beyond reputeLynk has a reputation beyond reputeLynk has a reputation beyond reputeLynk has a reputation beyond reputeLynk has a reputation beyond reputeLynk has a reputation beyond reputeLynk has a reputation beyond reputeLynk has a reputation beyond reputeLynk has a reputation beyond repute
Eh, good point, I could plug my big speakers into that...but it's still a bit of a nuisance.
Old 06-25-2013   #4
Ash_735

Ash_735 has a reputation beyond reputeAsh_735 has a reputation beyond reputeAsh_735 has a reputation beyond reputeAsh_735 has a reputation beyond reputeAsh_735 has a reputation beyond reputeAsh_735 has a reputation beyond reputeAsh_735 has a reputation beyond reputeAsh_735 has a reputation beyond reputeAsh_735 has a reputation beyond reputeAsh_735 has a reputation beyond reputeAsh_735 has a reputation beyond repute
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lynk View Post
What the fuck can I do with my HD-Ready, HDMI-less TV? I have a coverter for VGA, but that leaves it without audio.

pls respond
PS4 has Optical Out so if you have an amp or a 5.1 surround kit somewhere, you can use that. But yeah, seems weird that both Xbox One and PS4 are ditching pretty much all ways to connect non-HDMI, I mean in one swoop just knocked out S-Video, RGB SCART, Component, etc.
Ash_735 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2013   #5
Lynk
Oh shit, I'm feeling it

Yeah, I just hope it works with the VGA converter. I can only reach 1080i, I hope they don't force 1080p on us.
Old 06-25-2013   #6
voodoo
Highland Member

voodoo has much to be proud ofvoodoo has much to be proud ofvoodoo has much to be proud ofvoodoo has much to be proud ofvoodoo has much to be proud ofvoodoo has much to be proud ofvoodoo has much to be proud ofvoodoo has much to be proud ofvoodoo has much to be proud ofvoodoo has much to be proud ofvoodoo has much to be proud of
get with the times lynk ffs.

I know ireland's third world but even africans have hdmi now surely?
voodoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2013   #7
Piggus
Wicked Member

Piggus has a reputation beyond reputePiggus has a reputation beyond reputePiggus has a reputation beyond reputePiggus has a reputation beyond reputePiggus has a reputation beyond reputePiggus has a reputation beyond reputePiggus has a reputation beyond reputePiggus has a reputation beyond reputePiggus has a reputation beyond reputePiggus has a reputation beyond reputePiggus has a reputation beyond repute
Should work fine with optical. In the settings on PS3 you can have all audio going through optical regardless of if you're using HDMI or Component (or some kind of converter). It would have to be the same on PS4 otherwise optical would be kinda pointless. The problem though is you might need a converter with HDCP. All content on next gen systems is HDCP encrypted.

Alternatively, you can get a converter that includes audio.

http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/produc...Converter.html

EDIT: Doesn't work with HDCP so you'd have to find one that supports HDCP I think.

Honestly though I'd just save for a new TV. You can get a pretty nice 1080p TV for about $300 now. Another option is to get an HDCP-compatible computer monitor (you may already have one) and use external speakers with optical. My monitor is a few years old and has HDCP so I am able to connect my PS3 to it using an HDMI to DVI cable.

Something like this:

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16824009422

Supports HDCP and it's 1080p. You'd just need audio though optical.

Last edited by Piggus; 06-25-2013 at 03:11 PM..
Piggus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2013   #8
Lynk
Oh shit, I'm feeling it

Quote:
Originally Posted by voodoo View Post
get with the times lynk ffs.

I know ireland's third world but even africans have hdmi now surely?
Ehhhh....

I don't see the need to upgrade it. The main TV in my parents house has HDMI but I'm not gonna be playing it there. It's still HD, I don't feel like spending 400 euros just to get HDMI. Besides, it has a wee bit of sentimental value. I got it for my 18th birthday.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Piggus View Post
Should work fine with optical. In the settings on PS3 you can have all audio going through optical regardless of if you're using HDMI or Component (or some kind of converter). It would have to be the same on PS4 otherwise optical would be kinda pointless. The problem though is you might need a converter with HDCP. All content on next gen systems is HDCP encrypted.

Alternatively, you can get a converter that includes audio.

http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/produc...Converter.html

EDIT: Doesn't work with HDCP so you'd have to find one that supports HDCP I think.

Honestly though I'd just save for a new TV. You can get a pretty nice 1080p TV for about $300 now. Another option is to get an HDCP-compatible computer monitor (you may already have one) and use external speakers with optical. My monitor is a few years old and has HDCP so I am able to connect my PS3 to it using an HDMI to DVI cable.

Something like this:

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16824009422

Supports HDCP and it's 1080p. You'd just need audio though optical.
So does the converter in the first link work or not? Going on the second bit of your post.

Last edited by Lynk; 06-25-2013 at 04:28 PM.. Reason: auto-merged double post
Lynk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2013   #9
Piggus
Wicked Member

Piggus has a reputation beyond reputePiggus has a reputation beyond reputePiggus has a reputation beyond reputePiggus has a reputation beyond reputePiggus has a reputation beyond reputePiggus has a reputation beyond reputePiggus has a reputation beyond reputePiggus has a reputation beyond reputePiggus has a reputation beyond reputePiggus has a reputation beyond reputePiggus has a reputation beyond repute
Probably not, since I read even games will have HDCP encryption. You'd have to find a converter that supports HDCP.
Old 07-11-2013   #10
jwrebholz
Cola-addled Smartass

jwrebholz has a spectacular aura aboutjwrebholz has a spectacular aura aboutjwrebholz has a spectacular aura aboutjwrebholz has a spectacular aura aboutjwrebholz has a spectacular aura aboutjwrebholz has a spectacular aura aboutjwrebholz has a spectacular aura aboutjwrebholz has a spectacular aura aboutjwrebholz has a spectacular aura aboutjwrebholz has a spectacular aura aboutjwrebholz has a spectacular aura about
The PS4 will probably ship with a composite RCA cable.
jwrebholz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2013   #11
Piggus
Wicked Member

Nope, we already know what's in the box. It comes with an HDMI cable only and has no port on the back for composite/component. Same with Xbone.