Go Back   GTAGaming Forums > Grand Theft Auto > Grand Theft Auto V
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Old 06-15-2013   #16
eli
wolfpvck

eli has a reputation beyond reputeeli has a reputation beyond reputeeli has a reputation beyond reputeeli has a reputation beyond reputeeli has a reputation beyond reputeeli has a reputation beyond reputeeli has a reputation beyond reputeeli has a reputation beyond reputeeli has a reputation beyond reputeeli has a reputation beyond reputeeli has a reputation beyond repute
I think I might be getting the PS3 version also, just like Zcab i don't want to deal with multiple discs
eli is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2013   #17
Jimmy_86
Think!

Jimmy_86 has much to be proud ofJimmy_86 has much to be proud ofJimmy_86 has much to be proud ofJimmy_86 has much to be proud ofJimmy_86 has much to be proud ofJimmy_86 has much to be proud ofJimmy_86 has much to be proud ofJimmy_86 has much to be proud ofJimmy_86 has much to be proud ofJimmy_86 has much to be proud ofJimmy_86 has much to be proud of
Since multiple discs is being talked about...

It just seems odd for a GTA game. The story missions are the only thing that could be split across discs. Think about the different aspects of the game, most of the content is potentially available from the start and will need to be available at any time.

Here's what would need to be on every disc:

The map - All of the models, textures, animations and audio that make the game world, as well as the data that places vehicles, weapons and NPCs in to the world.
The vehicles and weapons - All models, textures, animations, audio, stats and physics/handling.
The NPCs - All people and animal models, textures, animations, audio and AI behaviour.
The Radio - Hours and hours of audio.

That's not even comprehensive, there's more engine stuff like the lighting, there's the weather, the scripts that run what happens when you buy from a store or use a Pay N Spray for example.

The story missions themselves do contain a fair amout of data in audio, mo-cap and scripts. If they were able to split the story across discs it would be a solution assuming the game is too big for a dual layer DVD, but it seems crazy to me that they would have to release a game across multiple discs where 80-90% of the data is the same on each disc.

Maybe someone who has a better idea of how much disc space things take up could chime in. The install size of GTA IV on 360 (as best I can remember) was 6.8 GB so I guess they've got roughly 2 GB extra they can use for V before even worrying about multiple discs.
Jimmy_86 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2013   #18
Bfett21

Bfett21 will become famous soon enoughBfett21 will become famous soon enoughBfett21 will become famous soon enoughBfett21 will become famous soon enoughBfett21 will become famous soon enoughBfett21 will become famous soon enoughBfett21 will become famous soon enoughBfett21 will become famous soon enoughBfett21 will become famous soon enough
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jimmy_86 View Post
Since multiple discs is being talked about...

It just seems odd for a GTA game. The story missions are the only thing that could be split across discs. Think about the different aspects of the game, most of the content is potentially available from the start and will need to be available at any time.

Here's what would need to be on every disc:

The map - All of the models, textures, animations and audio that make the game world, as well as the data that places vehicles, weapons and NPCs in to the world.
The vehicles and weapons - All models, textures, animations, audio, stats and physics/handling.
The NPCs - All people and animal models, textures, animations, audio and AI behaviour.
The Radio - Hours and hours of audio.

That's not even comprehensive, there's more engine stuff like the lighting, there's the weather, the scripts that run what happens when you buy from a store or use a Pay N Spray for example.

The story missions themselves do contain a fair amout of data in audio, mo-cap and scripts. If they were able to split the story across discs it would be a solution assuming the game is too big for a dual layer DVD, but it seems crazy to me that they would have to release a game across multiple discs where 80-90% of the data is the same on each disc.

Maybe someone who has a better idea of how much disc space things take up could chime in. The install size of GTA IV on 360 (as best I can remember) was 6.8 GB so I guess they've got roughly 2 GB extra they can use for V before even worrying about multiple discs.
Yeah it's odd. I don't even think I could use GTAV on my xbox, i only have a 20 gig 360, never upgraded. but that's why I have the ps3. heh.
Bfett21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2013   #19
j_harvill

j_harvill is a glorious beacon of lightj_harvill is a glorious beacon of lightj_harvill is a glorious beacon of lightj_harvill is a glorious beacon of lightj_harvill is a glorious beacon of lightj_harvill is a glorious beacon of lightj_harvill is a glorious beacon of lightj_harvill is a glorious beacon of lightj_harvill is a glorious beacon of lightj_harvill is a glorious beacon of lightj_harvill is a glorious beacon of light
Agreed ps4
j_harvill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2013   #20
jwrebholz
Cola-addled Smartass

jwrebholz has a spectacular aura aboutjwrebholz has a spectacular aura aboutjwrebholz has a spectacular aura aboutjwrebholz has a spectacular aura aboutjwrebholz has a spectacular aura aboutjwrebholz has a spectacular aura aboutjwrebholz has a spectacular aura aboutjwrebholz has a spectacular aura aboutjwrebholz has a spectacular aura aboutjwrebholz has a spectacular aura aboutjwrebholz has a spectacular aura about
I just don't see how they're going to get the whole thing on one DVD. On a blu-ray no problem, but DVDs are a lot more limited. If it's on one disc it's gotta be absolutely crammed.
jwrebholz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2013   #21
Legham
a.k.a, Fosters Breath

Legham has a reputation beyond reputeLegham has a reputation beyond reputeLegham has a reputation beyond reputeLegham has a reputation beyond reputeLegham has a reputation beyond reputeLegham has a reputation beyond reputeLegham has a reputation beyond reputeLegham has a reputation beyond reputeLegham has a reputation beyond reputeLegham has a reputation beyond reputeLegham has a reputation beyond repute
I rarely use xbox, but dont some games have an install disc and then a play disc?
Legham is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2013   #22
Jimmy_86
Think!

Jimmy_86 has much to be proud ofJimmy_86 has much to be proud ofJimmy_86 has much to be proud ofJimmy_86 has much to be proud ofJimmy_86 has much to be proud ofJimmy_86 has much to be proud ofJimmy_86 has much to be proud ofJimmy_86 has much to be proud ofJimmy_86 has much to be proud ofJimmy_86 has much to be proud ofJimmy_86 has much to be proud of
Quote:
Originally Posted by Legham View Post
I rarely use xbox, but dont some games have an install disc and then a play disc?
This is possible (I think Battlefield 3 did something like this) but all 360 games still must be playable on the consoles that don't have an HDD.
Jimmy_86 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2013   #23
the_sextein

the_sextein is on a distinguished roadthe_sextein is on a distinguished roadthe_sextein is on a distinguished road
The 360 version comes on 2 discs. An install disc and a play disc. The PS3 has a single disc that serves as the install disc and play disc in one. Both PS3 and Xbox 360 require mandatory 8 gigabyte installs on the hard disc. So 360 owners that don't currently own a hard disc will have to buy one in order to play GTA 5.

http://www.highdefdigest.com/news/sh..._and_PS3/12076
the_sextein is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2013   #24
masteratt
Fiery depths of life

masteratt will become famous soon enoughmasteratt will become famous soon enoughmasteratt will become famous soon enoughmasteratt will become famous soon enoughmasteratt will become famous soon enoughmasteratt will become famous soon enoughmasteratt will become famous soon enoughmasteratt will become famous soon enoughmasteratt will become famous soon enoughmasteratt will become famous soon enough
PS3 for me. Would have been the case no matter what to be honest. Like still to this day Xbox prompts in GTA gameplay freaks weird lol. Grew up with 100s and 100s of hours of GTA on PS2, it's where it 'feels right'.

And I agree with above, the gameplay being PS3 is an encouraging sign. Though as I said even if it wasn't I would have got it for PS3

Although R* said they are identical in a Q&A so maybe next video will be 360 to prove that.
masteratt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2013   #25
phreak
wsup den
Veteran Member

phreak has much to be proud ofphreak has much to be proud ofphreak has much to be proud ofphreak has much to be proud ofphreak has much to be proud ofphreak has much to be proud ofphreak has much to be proud ofphreak has much to be proud ofphreak has much to be proud ofphreak has much to be proud ofphreak has much to be proud of
I'll get both eventually but at release I'm getting the PS3 version.
Old 07-18-2013   #26
ThatPaleKid
$waggy
Newbie Member

ThatPaleKid is on a distinguished roadThatPaleKid is on a distinguished road
I'll be getting it on the 360, because I'm not all that bothered about faffing around with two discs, and it's the only console I own.
ThatPaleKid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2013   #27
.LiLe.
Buggati Boy

.LiLe. has much to be proud of.LiLe. has much to be proud of.LiLe. has much to be proud of.LiLe. has much to be proud of.LiLe. has much to be proud of.LiLe. has much to be proud of.LiLe. has much to be proud of.LiLe. has much to be proud of.LiLe. has much to be proud of.LiLe. has much to be proud of.LiLe. has much to be proud of
360 baby!
Old 07-29-2013   #28
DeVer47
Saha Maneh?

DeVer47 is on a distinguished roadDeVer47 is on a distinguished roadDeVer47 is on a distinguished road
Xbox 360.. And PC (If That Released In PC)

Oh Yeah, Did R* Says That They're Focusing On The Consoles?

Urang Sunda Asli..
DeVer47 is offline   Reply With Quote