Go Back   GTAGaming Forums > Grand Theft Auto Mods > Grand Theft Auto IV Mods
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Old 01-08-2013   #1
50percentJoe

50percentJoe is an unknown quantity at this point
Just want some feedback for an idea.

So I have to admit, after years of being away, I am more than happily modding the heck out of GTA again. I've come to an idea that I'm not sure is worth investing some time into.

Not too long back on my own I was modding Vice just for kicks, I found a disk some time earlier in 2012. The game was dated and had low res textures so I started borrowing textures from Fallout New Vegas and slowly redoing it to be... Pretty? I suppose I could argue pretty since it made the game more pleasant to look at.

So this leads me to an epiphany, GTA4 has a horribly brown color pallet upon installing... Then again, so does Fallout 3? For some reason I'm digging through the two mutual games texture files and thinking to myself, "Fallout TC for GTA?"

I mean I don't have a lot of experience mind you, I'm just a textures guy. The most I was thinking I'd do is swap out all the base city textures for the war torn textures of FO3's city. This is not me saying, "HEY I NEED TO RECRUIT A TEAM TO DO IT FOR ME!" This is just me spit balling an idea to get some opinions of if it would actually be worth doing?

EDIT: In consideration of this, the only pictures I have of the last time I tried to alter a map's textures are from 5 or 6 years ago on RE4.

Just to confirm I'm not lauding some massive idea without an ability to follow through partially.

Last edited by 50percentJoe; 01-08-2013 at 06:36 PM..
50percentJoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2013   #2
Killerfist
Arms Dealer
Addicted Member

Killerfist is a splendid one to beholdKillerfist is a splendid one to beholdKillerfist is a splendid one to beholdKillerfist is a splendid one to beholdKillerfist is a splendid one to beholdKillerfist is a splendid one to beholdKillerfist is a splendid one to beholdKillerfist is a splendid one to beholdKillerfist is a splendid one to beholdKillerfist is a splendid one to beholdKillerfist is a splendid one to behold
I'd be careful not to use FO3 basic textures, you could convert some custom textures (from the nexus for example) with the authors permission but converting content from other games is usually not a good idea (copyright).
Killerfist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2013   #3
50percentJoe

True, I'd probably end up working out a way to hit a middle ground as the FO ones would look awkward on GTA4's models. The copyright thing to me is weird. Constantly I hear about how you shouldn't port stuff, but the top rated mods are often ported content... Well for weapons and player mods at least.
Old 01-08-2013   #4
Homyans
Vault Boy!

Homyans is on a distinguished roadHomyans is on a distinguished roadHomyans is on a distinguished roadHomyans is on a distinguished road
Killerfist why copyright on other games? I mean Like we have a lot of converted weapons from different games for GTA 4 e.g: Call of Duty series lot of them are made by Core. and Fallout weapons made by 9sy, or player models made by Amir from different games I mean that they didn't get permission from Bethesda, Activision and...
So there are copyright laws then It means they are Doing something illegal.Right?
GFX: Nvidia GT 440
Homyans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2013   #5
Killerfist
Arms Dealer
Addicted Member

Killerfist is a splendid one to beholdKillerfist is a splendid one to beholdKillerfist is a splendid one to beholdKillerfist is a splendid one to beholdKillerfist is a splendid one to beholdKillerfist is a splendid one to beholdKillerfist is a splendid one to beholdKillerfist is a splendid one to beholdKillerfist is a splendid one to beholdKillerfist is a splendid one to beholdKillerfist is a splendid one to behold
Quote:
Originally Posted by 50percentJoe View Post
True, I'd probably end up working out a way to hit a middle ground as the FO ones would look awkward on GTA4's models. The copyright thing to me is weird. Constantly I hear about how you shouldn't port stuff, but the top rated mods are often ported content... Well for weapons and player mods at least.
There's a difference in converting weapons from other games, and converting custom weapons made for other games. 3D models made by guys like you and me can be converting without any legal issues if you just ask permission from that author.

But yeah technically it's not legal to convert player models/weapons from other games, if a game producer would complain about this the administrator would have no choice but to remove them (correct me if I'm wrong though). This happenend before with some models that were converted from Arma 2

I'm not telling you what to do or don't do though, I'm just saying be careful and consider the possibility of your mod not being approved or being removed due to copyright issues.
Old 01-09-2013   #6
50percentJoe

I understand, I know that original content made by an author, like the weapons you convert, are totally ok. What I'm saying is that there are also lots of Battle Field weapons converted to, and a royal ton of CoD player models.

I understand what you're getting at, I promise I'm not arguing with you, there's just always this grey area of modding. Some companies have flatly said they don't mind as long as its not for profit. Well... Really only 2 come to mind; The people who made Stalker said they love seeing people mod with the content they made, and MS has stated as long as Chief's model is used for only non-profit mods its ok. A friend actually had some really ridiculous luck with Gearbox, he emailed them about doing a Borderlands companion mod in Fallout, their legal department actually replied and stated, "We cannot rightly confirm that you are allowed to used our material, but as long as any projects involving our work are done without profit, we don't see any legal repercussions."

Either way, this is less about copy right and more about whether it'd be worth doing or not. I mean GTA4's engine has grown on me already, its a pretty game when you make a few changes, I just can't help but ponder if it'd make a pretty wasteland?
Old 01-09-2013   #7
Killerfist
Arms Dealer
Addicted Member

It might, I like the idea but rendering in GTA 4 can be terrible sometimes. So I'd advice you to start small and test it ingame to see if there's any damage to performance and such.

Good luck
Old 01-09-2013   #8
50percentJoe

Thanks, at most with my ability I could probably retexture the city in a grueling bout of work, then kill the traffic, then make most peds hostile.