Go Back   GTAGaming Forums > Off Topic & Unrelated > Video Games Chat
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Old 09-06-2012   #31
Legham
a.k.a, Fosters Breath

Legham has a reputation beyond reputeLegham has a reputation beyond reputeLegham has a reputation beyond reputeLegham has a reputation beyond reputeLegham has a reputation beyond reputeLegham has a reputation beyond reputeLegham has a reputation beyond reputeLegham has a reputation beyond reputeLegham has a reputation beyond reputeLegham has a reputation beyond reputeLegham has a reputation beyond repute
Quote:
Originally Posted by Piggus View Post
You shouldn't believe what Sony says about price cuts, even when it's said by Yoshida. A revision of the PS3 Slim was leaked and should be shown at TGS. It's meant to compete with the 360 Arcade and drop to as low as $150.

@Killerfist: I'm comparing the two most popular skus, not the 360 Arcade which is cheaper (and useless without a hard drive.) Also, it isn't just once in a while that a good PS3 game comes along. I own both, so I know. In the last several years, the PS3 has had game of the year winners each year. Uncharted 3, Uncharted 2, MGS4, etc. I can't imagine just having a gaming PC and a 360 considering how little exclusive the 360 has and how many 360 games can just be played on PC. That conbination doesn't make sense unless you're 100% obsessed with Halo. I can't take Microsoft seriously until they start giving smaller developers a chance, such as That Game Company. The 360 has no games in the same league as Journey and Sound Shapes.
Sony promotes the shit out of their high-end artistic indie titles, but XBLIG is very accessible for an indie developer. But just like the app markets, it's hard to get noticed and make money.
Legham is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2012   #32
Piggus
Wicked Member

Piggus has a reputation beyond reputePiggus has a reputation beyond reputePiggus has a reputation beyond reputePiggus has a reputation beyond reputePiggus has a reputation beyond reputePiggus has a reputation beyond reputePiggus has a reputation beyond reputePiggus has a reputation beyond reputePiggus has a reputation beyond reputePiggus has a reputation beyond reputePiggus has a reputation beyond repute
Microsoft is known for turning away developers who have really different or obscure ideas. That includes Media Molecule, and now Sony has LBP and MS does not. Many devs this gen have said Sony is by far the most welcoming to indie devs with unique ideas. Even the PSN platform itself is more open in terms of policy. See: Valve
Piggus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2012   #33
Legham
a.k.a, Fosters Breath

Legham has a reputation beyond reputeLegham has a reputation beyond reputeLegham has a reputation beyond reputeLegham has a reputation beyond reputeLegham has a reputation beyond reputeLegham has a reputation beyond reputeLegham has a reputation beyond reputeLegham has a reputation beyond reputeLegham has a reputation beyond reputeLegham has a reputation beyond reputeLegham has a reputation beyond repute
Do you mean act as a publisher for Media Molecule? Because there's a big difference between publishing a game and allowing it on your platform... "Turning away" makes it sound like MS wouldn't allow it on their marketplace.. There's nothing controversial about LBP that wouldn't be tolerated on XBLIG/XBLA/whatever, and i can't find anything about MS not approving LBP..
Old 09-07-2012   #34
Piggus
Wicked Member

Piggus has a reputation beyond reputePiggus has a reputation beyond reputePiggus has a reputation beyond reputePiggus has a reputation beyond reputePiggus has a reputation beyond reputePiggus has a reputation beyond reputePiggus has a reputation beyond reputePiggus has a reputation beyond reputePiggus has a reputation beyond reputePiggus has a reputation beyond reputePiggus has a reputation beyond repute
Acting as a publisher.

It was an interview with Evan Wells I think. Was a looong time ago, and I've heard other devs say the same thing. That Sony is the only publisher who truly cares about innovation in the indie dev scene. They don't make you jump through a million hoops like Nintendo and they don't make stupid exclusive DLC-related threats like MS does (MS basically says "we don't want you on our platform if your game and its DLC is timed-exclusive on another system.") It's pretty simple, really. With the "Pub Fund" that they have, if they like what you're doing, they will fund and advertise the project as long as it remains a PS3/Vita exclusive.

The controversial part of LBP in Microsoft's eyes is probably the creation stuff and the huge community and network behind it all that would not work within the confines of Xbox Live. Remember, Xbox Live is a closed system. They wouldn't even allow Steam integration in Portal 2 or mods in Unreal Tournament III, which were both present in the PS3 versions. They wouldn't allow cross-platform play in either of those games as well, which was present on PS3. Xbox Live being a closed system means MS has all of the control, not the devs.

http://www.develop-online.net/news/3...vation-suffers

Quote:
Sony’s stance appears to be at odds with Nintendo’s, which earlier in the year claimed it was “not interested” in working with ‘garage’ developers.
Old 09-07-2012   #35
Legham
a.k.a, Fosters Breath

Hmmm.. I've got dev friends releasing games for XBLIG, DS/DSi, and Vita/PSN and I haven't heard any particular complaints from any of them. I haven't got into any detail about how many hoops they had to jump through to get involved though.

The biggest success stories obviously come from PSN with Sony's strong backing, but for every one of those there's the rest of the PSN market just developing away as normal. Sony only get friendly with games of the VERY best quality, but when they do get involved they make a huge impact.
Old 09-07-2012   #36
Killerfist
Arms Dealer
Addicted Member

Killerfist is a splendid one to beholdKillerfist is a splendid one to beholdKillerfist is a splendid one to beholdKillerfist is a splendid one to beholdKillerfist is a splendid one to beholdKillerfist is a splendid one to beholdKillerfist is a splendid one to beholdKillerfist is a splendid one to beholdKillerfist is a splendid one to beholdKillerfist is a splendid one to beholdKillerfist is a splendid one to behold
Well I'm not obsessed with Halo but for me it's the same as any other, I got an xbox when I was young and always stuck with it. Seeing that I now have a really good PC I admit I haven't been using my xbox360 that much anymore, sometimes for red dead redemption or co-op games on the few games that have splitscreen.

Those prices I mentioned are legit btw, the xbox360 is the version with a 4gb harddrive (they don't sell those old xbox360 consoles here anymore, just the slim version). The PS3 is the most basic version I could find. Maybe prices are different in the US. I might consider getting a PS3 someday, but to be honest I think it might be a little to late. There are already plenty of rumors/leaks that they're working on new consoles.
Killerfist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2012   #37
Piggus
Wicked Member

You're comparing the 360 Arcade (4gb) model to the 160 gb PS3 base model, which isn't really a fair comparison since the Arcade is targeted towards casual gamers. It can still be upgraded (I have a 360 Arcade with a 250 gb hard drive) but you should be comparing the regular 250 gb 360 slim with the regular 160 gb PS3. Sony will have a new PS3 model out to compete with the Arcade, and will probably undercut it in price.

Old 09-07-2012   #38
lillb
Casual User

lillb has a brilliant futurelillb has a brilliant futurelillb has a brilliant futurelillb has a brilliant futurelillb has a brilliant futurelillb has a brilliant futurelillb has a brilliant futurelillb has a brilliant futurelillb has a brilliant futurelillb has a brilliant futurelillb has a brilliant future
I have to agree that Sony supports more indies than MS. The indies that are on XBLA often complain about the high prices they have to pay to submit patches and what not. And yes XBLIG are easy enough to get into but no one makes money there. I think the highest grossing game on there was that minecraft knockoff Fortresscraft. The XBLIG channel has been buried inthe XBox UI so it's hard to find if you're not looking for it.

Also as for the easy mode glowing objects you guys complained about. It really depends on the game for me, some games I welcome it, it keeps a tedious action of searching for items I need from taking away from the gameplay. Like I'm fine with games like Dragon Age and such that have little glowing things come up from enemies that are lootable. Helps me not miss anything while I'm destroying tons of mobs. If I had to manually search each body it would take a lot away from that game. On the other hand in Bethesda games having to loot each body or object adds to the immersion since nearly everything had loot that made sense for what it was.

I'm a little split on the glowing objects in this game but I'd have to actually play it to see if it was too much. It could add more to the game if not everything glowed since it is a survival game it would be up to you to spot useful things.

Last edited by lillb; 09-07-2012 at 09:45 AM..
lillb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2012   #39
thenotsogoodtrickster
late on the feels

thenotsogoodtrickster is a splendid one to beholdthenotsogoodtrickster is a splendid one to beholdthenotsogoodtrickster is a splendid one to beholdthenotsogoodtrickster is a splendid one to beholdthenotsogoodtrickster is a splendid one to beholdthenotsogoodtrickster is a splendid one to beholdthenotsogoodtrickster is a splendid one to beholdthenotsogoodtrickster is a splendid one to beholdthenotsogoodtrickster is a splendid one to beholdthenotsogoodtrickster is a splendid one to beholdthenotsogoodtrickster is a splendid one to behold
Well this game looks awesome.

Awesome to the point of contemplating buying a PS3 for it.
thenotsogoodtrickster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2012   #40
Ash_735

Ash_735 has a reputation beyond reputeAsh_735 has a reputation beyond reputeAsh_735 has a reputation beyond reputeAsh_735 has a reputation beyond reputeAsh_735 has a reputation beyond reputeAsh_735 has a reputation beyond reputeAsh_735 has a reputation beyond reputeAsh_735 has a reputation beyond reputeAsh_735 has a reputation beyond reputeAsh_735 has a reputation beyond reputeAsh_735 has a reputation beyond repute

And Mocap session:

Ash_735 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2012   #41
Killerfist
Arms Dealer
Addicted Member

Killerfist is a splendid one to beholdKillerfist is a splendid one to beholdKillerfist is a splendid one to beholdKillerfist is a splendid one to beholdKillerfist is a splendid one to beholdKillerfist is a splendid one to beholdKillerfist is a splendid one to beholdKillerfist is a splendid one to beholdKillerfist is a splendid one to beholdKillerfist is a splendid one to beholdKillerfist is a splendid one to behold
May is going to be an expensive month, looks very cool though

The motion capture stuff looks cool, amazing what modern technology can do. Saw some of those video's of Far Cry 3 motion capture too.. but they had to talk to a camera instead of other people which is probably even harder to do.

Thanks for posting these
Old 12-13-2012   #42
Piggus
Wicked Member

They did the same process for the Uncharted games. Pretty awesome. Also, the girl who plays Alyx in the Half-Life 2 games is in this.
Old 12-14-2012   #43
thenotsogoodtrickster
late on the feels

thenotsogoodtrickster is a splendid one to beholdthenotsogoodtrickster is a splendid one to beholdthenotsogoodtrickster is a splendid one to beholdthenotsogoodtrickster is a splendid one to beholdthenotsogoodtrickster is a splendid one to beholdthenotsogoodtrickster is a splendid one to beholdthenotsogoodtrickster is a splendid one to beholdthenotsogoodtrickster is a splendid one to beholdthenotsogoodtrickster is a splendid one to beholdthenotsogoodtrickster is a splendid one to beholdthenotsogoodtrickster is a splendid one to behold
Quote:
Originally Posted by Killerfist View Post
May is going to be an expensive month, looks very cool though

The motion capture stuff looks cool, amazing what modern technology can do. Saw some of those video's of Far Cry 3 motion capture too.. but they had to talk to a camera instead of other people which is probably even harder to do.

Thanks for posting these
Definitely. Only way I can buy this is if I buy a PS3, so yes: expensive.
thenotsogoodtrickster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2012   #44
Killerfist
Arms Dealer
Addicted Member

Well the Uncharted series and heavy rain are 2 more reasons to buy a PS3, god of war isn't bad either. But I think you'll survive without if it's not something you can easily afford.
Old 02-04-2013   #45
Zero
"Here we go again!"

Zero has a reputation beyond reputeZero has a reputation beyond reputeZero has a reputation beyond reputeZero has a reputation beyond reputeZero has a reputation beyond reputeZero has a reputation beyond reputeZero has a reputation beyond reputeZero has a reputation beyond reputeZero has a reputation beyond reputeZero has a reputation beyond reputeZero has a reputation beyond repute

Zero is offline   Reply With Quote