Old 03-19-2012   #1
PsychoticMammal

PsychoticMammal is on a distinguished roadPsychoticMammal is on a distinguished roadPsychoticMammal is on a distinguished roadPsychoticMammal is on a distinguished road
Textures and Skinning

I have made a simple skin for the Angel bike. I am trying to replace the badge on the gas tank, but it does not work. My problem is making the " rainbow colored texture thingy" as i call it. What I mean by that is this (the attachment). How do i make this? is there a certain program/function I need? Or do I just randomly color my skin until it kinda looks like this?

Anyway, I'm somewhat new to skinning, at least in GTA IV, so I know I must sound like I am a complete idiot, but I would like to give it a try. Thanks
Attached Images
File Type: png Angel.PNG (19.8 KB, 0 views)
PsychoticMammal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2012   #2
Killerfist
Arms Dealer
Addicted Member

Killerfist is a splendid one to beholdKillerfist is a splendid one to beholdKillerfist is a splendid one to beholdKillerfist is a splendid one to beholdKillerfist is a splendid one to beholdKillerfist is a splendid one to beholdKillerfist is a splendid one to beholdKillerfist is a splendid one to beholdKillerfist is a splendid one to beholdKillerfist is a splendid one to beholdKillerfist is a splendid one to behold
you're refering to the normal/bump map I assume

You can use crazybump for that (a trail version, program is not free but you can use it for a month or so) very easy to use.

Or, if you have photoshop there's a nvidia normal map filter:

http://developer.nvidia.com/nvidia-t...dobe-photoshop

If you canŽt get either one to work just post the image you want a normal map of here and IŽll convert it for you
Killerfist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2012   #3
PsychoticMammal

PsychoticMammal is on a distinguished roadPsychoticMammal is on a distinguished roadPsychoticMammal is on a distinguished roadPsychoticMammal is on a distinguished road
Wow, thanks!

I would have never thought it as a bump, but yeah this works great now!
PsychoticMammal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2012   #4
Killerfist
Arms Dealer
Addicted Member

Killerfist is a splendid one to beholdKillerfist is a splendid one to beholdKillerfist is a splendid one to beholdKillerfist is a splendid one to beholdKillerfist is a splendid one to beholdKillerfist is a splendid one to beholdKillerfist is a splendid one to beholdKillerfist is a splendid one to beholdKillerfist is a splendid one to beholdKillerfist is a splendid one to beholdKillerfist is a splendid one to behold
No problem , and great bike
Old 07-19-2012   #5
grot

grot is on a distinguished roadgrot is on a distinguished roadgrot is on a distinguished roadgrot is on a distinguished road
I've got a problem wich looks like yours and don't know where to get answer.

I try to change the license plate on a car I've installed . I've done it with spark, clicked edit on the wtd file then exported the png which contains the plate.
I've replaced the plate with photoshop, and imported the new png in spark, saved the texture, rebuilted and saved again!

Now I launch my gta 4 1.0.0.7 and spawn my car but the plate is still the old one.
Have I to use zmodeler or 3ds max in order to change the texture ? if yes it will be expansive !(those sofware ain't that cheap)
Anyone could tell me why my texture hasn't changed thought it is well changed in spark ?thx
grot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2012   #6
Killerfist
Arms Dealer
Addicted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by grot View Post
Now I launch my gta 4 1.0.0.7 and spawn my car but the plate is still the old one.
Have I to use zmodeler or 3ds max in order to change the texture ? if yes it will be expansive !(those sofware ain't that cheap)
Anyone could tell me why my texture hasn't changed thought it is well changed in spark ?thx
No just don't use the rebuild option, and for replacing textures I recommend OpenIV (SparkIV automaticly resizes images, so if you want a higher resolution it won't work).

Here's what you do in OpenIV:
- Go into edit mode
- Open the .wtd file where the textures you want to replace are in
- Export the texture
- Adjust the texture the way you like
- Go back to openIV again, select the texture you've just exported and hit 'replace'
- Lastly, hit save in the bottem-right corner

If you do want to do it with SparkIV regardless, then just use the save option (don't use the rebuild option)
Old 07-20-2012   #7
grot

grot is on a distinguished roadgrot is on a distinguished roadgrot is on a distinguished roadgrot is on a distinguished road
Thank you for your solution .

I've tried the way you told me and it still doesn't work. When I reopen OpenIV an select the texture it is changed but not in game, as if the texture was in an other png. But it's not.
The other one contain headlignts, door's interior ...but I see the plate only in the png I've changed.

Do you think the texture could be somewhere else ?

Last edited by grot; 07-20-2012 at 01:25 PM..
Old 07-20-2012   #8
Killerfist
Arms Dealer
Addicted Member

Quote:
Thank you for your solution .

I've tried the way you told me and it still doesn't work. When I reopen OpenIV an select the texture it is changed but not in game, as if the texture was in an other png. But it's not.
The other one contain headlignts, door's interior ...but I see the plate only in the png I've changed.

Do you think the texture could be somewhere else ?
The best way to check this is on the 3d model, in OpenIV it lists which texture files are being applied to the model (which .wtd's) you can also see if you changed the right texture (the preview window should show it correctly, if not then you changed the wrong texture or you forgot to save).
Old 07-20-2012   #9
grot

Well, it uses 3 .wtd :
vehshare, vehshare_truck and premier.wtd

I've deleted those three and the texture of the plate is still present on the preview, like brand and car name behind the trunk. It seems this damned texture is on the 3d model, and the plate png contained in my premier.wtd is useless

Which 3d software can I use ? is there a free one ?

Thanks again for your explanation, I feel I'm going ahead !
Old 07-20-2012   #10
Killerfist
Arms Dealer
Addicted Member

Quote:
Well, it uses 3 .wtd :
vehshare, vehshare_truck and premier.wtd

I've deleted those three and the texture of the plate is still present on the preview, like brand and car name behind the trunk. It seems this damned texture is on the 3d model, and the plate png contained in my premier.wtd is useless

Which 3d software can I use ? is there a free one ?

Thanks again for your explanation, I feel I'm going ahead !
Yes that could be the case, as for free 3d moddeling software I don't know any (but if you look around you might be able to find a 'free' version of zmodeler).

I only have experience with autodesk 3ds max though, and that program does not import vehicles. You can usually seei f there are textured that are 'hard-coded' on the 3dmodel. Just open up the 3d window, on the right you'll see what you said (the vehshare, vehshare_truck etc) and a little to the left you sometimes see [open textures viewer]

If you see that, there are indeed textured embedded
Old 07-20-2012   #11
grot

It doesn't seem to be the case. I'll try later the 3d way or create a template..
I'll post here if I succeed
Old 07-26-2012   #12
grot

Well, I have imported the vehicle in zmodeler but some texture are missing so when I export the model (even if I do nothing) some parts of the vehicle are white, it's ugly.

Finally I've changed the plate but now headlights, tires and glasses are textureless .

I'm going slightly mad but I'm in progress !

Edit: It's done !! the solution was to extract all dds in vehshare and paste it in the texture library folder of zmodeler.
I import the model, zmod place ALL textures, and export.

Thank you for your help, it made me complete my little challenge

Last edited by grot; 07-26-2012 at 04:21 PM.. Reason: do not want to double post