Go Back   GTAGaming Forums > Grand Theft Auto > Grand Theft Auto V
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Old 07-02-2012   #16
lillb
Casual User

lillb has a brilliant futurelillb has a brilliant futurelillb has a brilliant futurelillb has a brilliant futurelillb has a brilliant futurelillb has a brilliant futurelillb has a brilliant futurelillb has a brilliant futurelillb has a brilliant futurelillb has a brilliant futurelillb has a brilliant future
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bigbeats23 View Post
Yeah, but what you're talking about might apply to other games, but not GTA. The last time Rockstar built up hype for GTA was for GTA III's release. And just like you said, "reveals in the gaming industry are expertly timed". Rockstar does things a certain way, and it's been working for them. GTA IV was delayed, so it's schedule was a little messed up, but the other GTA's always had very little marketing in spring and summer before the inevitable October release.

It's incredibly easy to get the word out to those who don't follow gaming news, and we know this because we usually don't start seeing TV ads for games until right before the game comes out. In fact, I've never seen a GTA ad on TV until after I had the game. And GTA doesn't make anywhere near a majority of it's sales on release. This is another reason why you can't compare GTA to other games, unless you're talking about games like COD or Gears when it comes to numbers. Thousands of copies of GTA IV are still being sold every week.
I get what you're saying and I don't fully disagree but the industry is a bit different than it was between GTA III and GTA IV. Now it's true that something like GTA doesn't need as much hyping up time as most other titles but I still think 3 months before release without another teaser trailer or release date is a bit short. And if you remember correctly GTA IV broke all records in its first week of sales (I believe the previous record holder was Halo 3). So maybe having a few extra months to drum up hype will get the large number or preorders to get a huge number of sales in the first week. Despite selling well (enough) throughout its lifetime all games sell a majority of their sales in the first month or so.
lillb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2012   #17
Bigbeats23

Bigbeats23 will become famous soon enoughBigbeats23 will become famous soon enoughBigbeats23 will become famous soon enoughBigbeats23 will become famous soon enoughBigbeats23 will become famous soon enoughBigbeats23 will become famous soon enoughBigbeats23 will become famous soon enough
Quote:
Originally Posted by Killerfist666 View Post
Believing it comes out this year is just wishful thinking and I personally think It will certainly not be out before march next year. Maybe in April (like gta 4)

I don't really needs news updates, just a release date is enough. I'm gonna buy it anyhow and more news means more spoilers. It's better to know as little as possible, come on it's a gta game.. you don't need trailers to tell you what a good game it'll be.
More like hopeful thinking. When you see two employee resumes that show October as the release date, October on the license plate in the trailer, Take-Two's earnings report, and the simple fact that Rockstar North has chosen October as the release date for 100% of the GTA games they developed, and 90% of them stayed on schedule and were actually released in October, I think it's unfair to just call it wishful thinking. It definitely might come out next year and maybe in April, but October is the more logical guess.
Bigbeats23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2012   #18
Killerfist
Arms Dealer
Addicted Member

Killerfist is a splendid one to beholdKillerfist is a splendid one to beholdKillerfist is a splendid one to beholdKillerfist is a splendid one to beholdKillerfist is a splendid one to beholdKillerfist is a splendid one to beholdKillerfist is a splendid one to beholdKillerfist is a splendid one to beholdKillerfist is a splendid one to beholdKillerfist is a splendid one to beholdKillerfist is a splendid one to behold
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bigbeats23 View Post
More like hopeful thinking. When you see two employee resumes that show October as the release date, October on the license plate in the trailer, Take-Two's earnings report, and the simple fact that Rockstar North has chosen October as the release date for 100% of the GTA games they developed, and 90% of them stayed on schedule and were actually released in October, I think it's unfair to just call it wishful thinking. It definitely might come out next year and maybe in April, but October is the more logical guess.
If it is October It will most likely be October next year, there are already coming out alot of games in October/November so it would be a stupid move releasing it along those games (AC 3, Black Ops 2, Halo 4 for example).

Don't get my wrong , I'd pick Gta 5 over any of those games but the problem is that alot of people don't
Killerfist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2012   #19
Lukeyy19
Sophisticated Silliness

Lukeyy19 is a splendid one to beholdLukeyy19 is a splendid one to beholdLukeyy19 is a splendid one to beholdLukeyy19 is a splendid one to beholdLukeyy19 is a splendid one to beholdLukeyy19 is a splendid one to beholdLukeyy19 is a splendid one to beholdLukeyy19 is a splendid one to beholdLukeyy19 is a splendid one to beholdLukeyy19 is a splendid one to beholdLukeyy19 is a splendid one to behold
Quote:
If it is October It will most likely be October next year, there are already coming out alot of games in October/November so it would be a stupid move releasing it along those games (AC 3, Black Ops 2, Halo 4 for example).

Don't get my wrong , I'd pick Gta 5 over any of those games but the problem is that alot of people don't
I don't think they'd leave almost 2 years between an announcement trailer and the game. This is Rockstar, not Blizzard.
Lukeyy19 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2012   #20
Killerfist
Arms Dealer
Addicted Member

Killerfist is a splendid one to beholdKillerfist is a splendid one to beholdKillerfist is a splendid one to beholdKillerfist is a splendid one to beholdKillerfist is a splendid one to beholdKillerfist is a splendid one to beholdKillerfist is a splendid one to beholdKillerfist is a splendid one to beholdKillerfist is a splendid one to beholdKillerfist is a splendid one to beholdKillerfist is a splendid one to behold
Hmm good point, October is beginning to make sense:

Gta 4 Trailer -> March 2007
Gta 4 Release -> April 2008

So it could be, if they maintain the same distance between trailer and actual game. It's anoing as hell that they keep such a close lid on information but at the same time I really like that. At a certain point Rockstar is going to hit us in the face with a near release date, that's what I hope atleast.

I can't remember, did they also do this with gta 4? keeping everything so close to their chest until close before the release? I remember not being interested in gta 4 back then because I didn't have an xbox360 or a PC that could run it, so the more I'd look the more I'd get disappointed.
Old 07-03-2012   #21
BlackSilver65

BlackSilver65 is just really niceBlackSilver65 is just really niceBlackSilver65 is just really niceBlackSilver65 is just really niceBlackSilver65 is just really niceBlackSilver65 is just really niceBlackSilver65 is just really niceBlackSilver65 is just really niceBlackSilver65 is just really niceBlackSilver65 is just really niceBlackSilver65 is just really nice
I like silence. I remember my first time playing III, I didn't read about it or anything, I just saw the commercial. Exploring the world and finding out all the features on my own was one of the most fun gaming experience ever. I remember restarting over and over again because I didn't have a memory card, but I didn't even care. I'm going to try to keep myself from reading a lot about the game before it comes out.
BlackSilver65 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2012   #22
iKlipse

iKlipse has a reputation beyond reputeiKlipse has a reputation beyond reputeiKlipse has a reputation beyond reputeiKlipse has a reputation beyond reputeiKlipse has a reputation beyond reputeiKlipse has a reputation beyond reputeiKlipse has a reputation beyond reputeiKlipse has a reputation beyond reputeiKlipse has a reputation beyond reputeiKlipse has a reputation beyond reputeiKlipse has a reputation beyond repute
Quote:
I can't remember, did they also do this with gta 4? keeping everything so close to their chest until close before the release?

They did, but only for a couple of months. This is the most tight lipped they have ever been for a GTA game, yet its supposed to be "the big one". So I guess the only thing they want to do is create as much desperation for news as possible, then when they do... It won't be shrugged off as just another news article. It will gain a lot of attention. GTA IV didn't exactly reach the expectations from the mass number of fans after San Andreas was released.
But anyway, I don't really agree with the silence. Its a bit over the top considering GTA IV was released in 2008 and its now 2012, all we have is a teaser trailer and a vague description after 8 months.
iKlipse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2012   #23
Killerfist
Arms Dealer
Addicted Member

Yeah knowning less is better in this case, I've played it since Gta 1 so I'm gonna buy it anyway. It's better to find out all about the new stuff when you're actually playing it.

I'm sure there'll be atleast 10 'WTF" moments, so I'd rather experience them myself instead of seeing them in a video/image

Although a few (ingame) images couldn't hurt
Old 07-03-2012   #24
Bigbeats23

Bigbeats23 will become famous soon enoughBigbeats23 will become famous soon enoughBigbeats23 will become famous soon enoughBigbeats23 will become famous soon enoughBigbeats23 will become famous soon enoughBigbeats23 will become famous soon enoughBigbeats23 will become famous soon enough
Quote:
Originally Posted by iKlipse View Post
They did, but only for a couple of months. This is the most tight lipped they have ever been for a GTA game, yet its supposed to be "the big one". So I guess the only thing they want to do is create as much desperation for news as possible, then when they do... It won't be shrugged off as just another news article. It will gain a lot of attention. GTA IV didn't exactly reach the expectations from the mass number of fans after San Andreas was released.
But anyway, I don't really agree with the silence. Its a bit over the top considering GTA IV was released in 2008 and its now 2012, all we have is a teaser trailer and a vague description after 8 months.
This is what is starting to bother me. If we don't get any new info in July, I'm going over to the dark side.

I still think the silence has a lot to do with MP3 and if you go to their site, you see that game is all they talk about. And they talk about it a lot, which makes sense because I remember reading an article not too long ago that said Rockstar needs to sell over 4 million copies just to break even. They haven't even sold 2 million copies yet. This is why so much of their time is devoted to promoting MP3 and not promoting GTA V. It's like they rushed the GTA V trailer so fans/shareholders would know about the game, and then they(R*) could focus on MP3 for awhile.

I'm not saying they will, but Rockstar knows they can start marketing for GTA V at any time they want. I'm guessing in late summer we'll start to hear/see more, and knowing Rockstar they'll probably do some type of viral/guerrilla marketing in LA as well.
Bigbeats23 is offline   Reply With Quote