Go Back   GTAGaming Forums > Grand Theft Auto > Grand Theft Auto V
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Old 06-05-2012   #1
Bigbeats23

Bigbeats23 will become famous soon enoughBigbeats23 will become famous soon enoughBigbeats23 will become famous soon enoughBigbeats23 will become famous soon enoughBigbeats23 will become famous soon enoughBigbeats23 will become famous soon enoughBigbeats23 will become famous soon enough
Level of gore in GTA V and other recent R* titles...

I've been playing a lot of MP3, and the gun violence is pretty satisfying. They definitely took it a bit further than RDR and I'm curious how it will be in GTA V.

I just watched the E3 "Last of Us" trailer and I loved how brutal it was(check it out if you haven't yet). I think Rockstar needs to take the gore back to a controversial level in GTA V, and it will also add to the realism. I also watched the film "Drive" not too long ago, and there's something I love about films and games that don't hold back on the violence, or aftermath of violence, as long as they take it seriously and try to keep it as realistic as possible.

Any thoughts? Do you think the amount of gore GTA IV had was enough, or is it time for Rockstar take that aspect more seriously?
Bigbeats23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2012   #2
thenotsogoodtrickster
late on the feels
Loyal Member

thenotsogoodtrickster is a splendid one to beholdthenotsogoodtrickster is a splendid one to beholdthenotsogoodtrickster is a splendid one to beholdthenotsogoodtrickster is a splendid one to beholdthenotsogoodtrickster is a splendid one to beholdthenotsogoodtrickster is a splendid one to beholdthenotsogoodtrickster is a splendid one to beholdthenotsogoodtrickster is a splendid one to beholdthenotsogoodtrickster is a splendid one to beholdthenotsogoodtrickster is a splendid one to beholdthenotsogoodtrickster is a splendid one to behold
I never played GTA for the gore, so it doesn't bother me.
Old 06-05-2012   #3
jwrebholz
Cola-addled Smartass

jwrebholz has a spectacular aura aboutjwrebholz has a spectacular aura aboutjwrebholz has a spectacular aura aboutjwrebholz has a spectacular aura aboutjwrebholz has a spectacular aura aboutjwrebholz has a spectacular aura aboutjwrebholz has a spectacular aura aboutjwrebholz has a spectacular aura aboutjwrebholz has a spectacular aura aboutjwrebholz has a spectacular aura aboutjwrebholz has a spectacular aura about
The gore was never something that attracted me to the GTA series. It was always the driving and the almost comical level of mayhem you could cause in a very short period of time that attracted me to the game. I think making it too brutal and violent would take away a lot of the game's charm. I'd say leave things how they are--or give us an option in the menu to turn it up or down.
jwrebholz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2012   #4
iKlipse

iKlipse has a reputation beyond reputeiKlipse has a reputation beyond reputeiKlipse has a reputation beyond reputeiKlipse has a reputation beyond reputeiKlipse has a reputation beyond reputeiKlipse has a reputation beyond reputeiKlipse has a reputation beyond reputeiKlipse has a reputation beyond reputeiKlipse has a reputation beyond reputeiKlipse has a reputation beyond reputeiKlipse has a reputation beyond repute
GTA III had a nice level of gore. The fact you could throw a grenade at someone and their limbs would come off. That would be a nice come back.

The blood gore from GTA IV was good and the bullet "holes" that would show up on people in RDR and MP3 is a nice touch aswell. But limbs being removed would probably top it off. It probably wont happen but im pretty happy with whats already there.
iKlipse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2012   #5
Bigbeats23

Bigbeats23 will become famous soon enoughBigbeats23 will become famous soon enoughBigbeats23 will become famous soon enoughBigbeats23 will become famous soon enoughBigbeats23 will become famous soon enoughBigbeats23 will become famous soon enoughBigbeats23 will become famous soon enough
Quote:
Originally Posted by thenotsogoodtrickster View Post
I never played GTA for the gore, so it doesn't bother me.
Quote:
Originally Posted by jwrebholz View Post
The gore was never something that attracted me to the GTA series. It was always the driving and the almost comical level of mayhem you could cause in a very short period of time that attracted me to the game. I think making it too brutal and violent would take away a lot of the game's charm. I'd say leave things how they are--or give us an option in the menu to turn it up or down.
You guys might be misunderstanding what I was trying to say. I never played GTA for the gore, but that's like saying I never played GTA for the character models, textures, effects, or animations etc. I think it's natural for everything to evolve together. I understand the idea of "charm", but I think a lot of that comes from nostalgia. Obviously it's not at this level yet, but at some point GTA will look something like Epic's "Samaritan" tech demo. I know that's an extreme example, but the point I'm making is "charm" only gets you so far. I believe effects, just like other visuals, animations, physics and everything else, needs to keep up with the other technical aspects of the game.

More than anything else, I just want Rockstar to develop the game they want to develop with no compromises.
Old 06-05-2012   #6
thenotsogoodtrickster
late on the feels
Loyal Member

thenotsogoodtrickster is a splendid one to beholdthenotsogoodtrickster is a splendid one to beholdthenotsogoodtrickster is a splendid one to beholdthenotsogoodtrickster is a splendid one to beholdthenotsogoodtrickster is a splendid one to beholdthenotsogoodtrickster is a splendid one to beholdthenotsogoodtrickster is a splendid one to beholdthenotsogoodtrickster is a splendid one to beholdthenotsogoodtrickster is a splendid one to beholdthenotsogoodtrickster is a splendid one to beholdthenotsogoodtrickster is a splendid one to behold
Didn't misunderstand you at all. I never played the game for the level of gore that was present, so it does not bother me.
Old 06-06-2012   #7
Bigbeats23

Quote:
Originally Posted by thenotsogoodtrickster View Post
Didn't misunderstand you at all. I never played the game for the level of gore that was present, so it does not bother me.
I just thought the response was a bit odd, because the post wasn't about why we play GTA or if the current level of gore bothers you or not. Maybe I misunderstood you. So I guess you like the amount of gore GTA IV had?
Old 06-06-2012   #8
thenotsogoodtrickster
late on the feels
Loyal Member

Allow me to paraphrase: the level of gore does not bother me.
Old 06-06-2012   #9
Bigbeats23

...me neither.
Old 06-06-2012   #10
Xan
█▄▄█▄▄█ █▬█ █

Xan has a reputation beyond reputeXan has a reputation beyond reputeXan has a reputation beyond reputeXan has a reputation beyond reputeXan has a reputation beyond reputeXan has a reputation beyond reputeXan has a reputation beyond reputeXan has a reputation beyond reputeXan has a reputation beyond reputeXan has a reputation beyond reputeXan has a reputation beyond repute
I think the next best thing would be actual body part dismemberment, like in GTA3.

If you want to go a step above that, take the Soldier of Fortune 2 approach:

Video doesn't show it, but you could vaporize the whole body. There is near or over 100 different points of dismemberment for the body models.
Old 06-06-2012   #11
Legham
a.k.a, Fosters Breath

Legham has a reputation beyond reputeLegham has a reputation beyond reputeLegham has a reputation beyond reputeLegham has a reputation beyond reputeLegham has a reputation beyond reputeLegham has a reputation beyond reputeLegham has a reputation beyond reputeLegham has a reputation beyond reputeLegham has a reputation beyond reputeLegham has a reputation beyond reputeLegham has a reputation beyond repute
I would like more gore in these games. It's delicious and satisfying.
Legham is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2012   #12
Bigbeats23

Wow, I've never seen anything like that video. That game was ahead of it's time with that level of dismemberment.

I agree about it being satisfying, especially when you're dealing with enemies who've been giving you a hard time. I have a feeling Rockstar might up the level of gore in GTA V, and I can't wait to see more of the game.
Old 06-06-2012   #13
lillb
Casual User

lillb has a brilliant futurelillb has a brilliant futurelillb has a brilliant futurelillb has a brilliant futurelillb has a brilliant futurelillb has a brilliant futurelillb has a brilliant futurelillb has a brilliant futurelillb has a brilliant futurelillb has a brilliant futurelillb has a brilliant future
If they add it, fine, although it's not something that I think needs to be there. I doubt there will be much extra controversy over it since a few games have done much more gore. Fallout 3 had bodies explode into little pieces, if I remember correctly you could even continue to dismember bodies after they died. Dead Island had a decent level of dismemberment (part of what made it so fun).
Old 06-07-2012   #14
dokujitsu
GTA addict since 2001

dokujitsu has a spectacular aura aboutdokujitsu has a spectacular aura aboutdokujitsu has a spectacular aura aboutdokujitsu has a spectacular aura aboutdokujitsu has a spectacular aura aboutdokujitsu has a spectacular aura aboutdokujitsu has a spectacular aura aboutdokujitsu has a spectacular aura aboutdokujitsu has a spectacular aura aboutdokujitsu has a spectacular aura aboutdokujitsu has a spectacular aura about
I've always wanted more gore in the GTA games. Loved being able to snipe off heads (think that was a code) and watch body parts come off. It's just another thing to do, being able to take someone apart a piece at a time. If they want to add to "realism", more gore would be the way to go.