Old 07-11-2011   #31
lillb
Casual User

lillb has a brilliant futurelillb has a brilliant futurelillb has a brilliant futurelillb has a brilliant futurelillb has a brilliant futurelillb has a brilliant futurelillb has a brilliant futurelillb has a brilliant futurelillb has a brilliant futurelillb has a brilliant futurelillb has a brilliant future
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zidane View Post
That looks much better lol.
Have you been able to try the game? I want some feedback on the gameplay and what people like about it or would like to see changed.

Also put up a Lite version:
https://market.android.com/details?i...malcontrollite

Last edited by lillb; 07-12-2011 at 01:52 PM..
lillb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2011   #32
lillb
Casual User

lillb has a brilliant futurelillb has a brilliant futurelillb has a brilliant futurelillb has a brilliant futurelillb has a brilliant futurelillb has a brilliant futurelillb has a brilliant futurelillb has a brilliant futurelillb has a brilliant futurelillb has a brilliant futurelillb has a brilliant future
Hey guys,
I know I've been pretty silent on what we've been doing lately but those of you who bothered to follow us on twitter or facebook have probably noticed we've started teasing our next game.
The game is called Paint Wars and the object is to control a painter's palette. You control warm colors (red,orange,yellow) and the cool colors (green, blue, purple) fight against you.
We've just released our teaser trailer:

We've all been busy and we've got a lot more cool ideas coming in the future. If you'd like give me some feedback on what you think of it given this short teaser.
Old 10-10-2011   #33
Legham
a.k.a, Fosters Breath

Legham has a reputation beyond reputeLegham has a reputation beyond reputeLegham has a reputation beyond reputeLegham has a reputation beyond reputeLegham has a reputation beyond reputeLegham has a reputation beyond reputeLegham has a reputation beyond reputeLegham has a reputation beyond reputeLegham has a reputation beyond reputeLegham has a reputation beyond reputeLegham has a reputation beyond repute
Seems like an interesting game! Really hard to tell how the gameplay actually works from the video, but the idea sounds like it could be interesting.

I just read back this thread and realised i forgot to tell you about Animal Control. I got it on my iPhone 3G and it runs for about 10 seconds with lots of lag before crashing and going back to the main iphone screen. The same kind of crash when you fill it's memory. I'm assuming this is because my iPhone 3g is so terrible (its the one that went swimming in the pool), because im sure you would have noticed if it was lagging too much or leaking memory. Although my phone does run games like Tiny Wings pretty smoothly.. But anyways, if this iPhone 4 i'm lining up goes ahead i'll get it on that and give you a proper review if i can.

Mind if i ask what IDE you're using? I've started my first mobile game at my internship a few weeks ago and they use Unity and it's just a matter of clicking build to android, or build to iOS if you have the licenses.. Not the ideal way for me, i prefer to build from scratch where possible.. But at least it gives me time to have my own solo project in the 10 week internship period. I'm assuming you're not using unity because from what ive heard building for iOS with unity only supports 4.0 software and higher, and my 3g can't get 4.0..
Legham is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2011   #34
lillb
Casual User

The gameplay is somewhat similar to games like Eufloria (PC) and Galcon (iOS). You have control of a paint splotch and you can shoot paintballs at others to try to take them over. And there's an enemy trying to do the same. We've got singleplayer mode with 3 difficulty levels and we've got multiplayer mode which should work across different platforms.

Yea the problem is due to the 3G having not enough memory. I think some of the images are probably a bit bigger than they need to be, so we may try to scale down some of the graphics to help with the performance on some lower end devices. We've got a few ideas on making that game better overall as well. Which I'll probably work on once Paint Wars is out.

We've actually been using Corona SDK. Similar to Unity you can just click build for iOS or build for Android and its done. Its made things easier for us although of course it has its limitations.

I would like to write some native apps but I just don't have the time for that cause I'm super busy with school and a part-time job. Maybe once this semester is over I'll try writing some simple native apps just to learn.

And where are you interning now? I know you mentioned Halfbrick, but I don't think they use Unity, but I could be wrong.
Old 10-10-2011   #35
Legham
a.k.a, Fosters Breath

Legham has a reputation beyond reputeLegham has a reputation beyond reputeLegham has a reputation beyond reputeLegham has a reputation beyond reputeLegham has a reputation beyond reputeLegham has a reputation beyond reputeLegham has a reputation beyond reputeLegham has a reputation beyond reputeLegham has a reputation beyond reputeLegham has a reputation beyond reputeLegham has a reputation beyond repute
Halfbrick didnt end up taking any interns because they only got around to sending the emails out for interviews yesterday lol. Although they are looking for paid internships, seperately from the Qantm internship program thing. I'm at Valhalla Studios Bifrost. They've made a few iPhone titles, the most successful one being Zombie Juice (sort of PvZ/Fruit Ninja combo). It's actually a pretty cool game, but not ridiculously popular.

I should look into Corona at some point. What languages does it natively support and what libraries does it come with? I just checked out the pricing and its not actually that different to Unity. The iOS license and Android licenses are $400 each on unity, but its once only payment. I've actually got a group organised already for when we finish Qantm, if we don't get straight into a job we're going to pump out some mobile games in unity most likely... My artists are awesome too, which is a bonus.

I was just on GameDev earlier tonight looking at how to go about low-level production for mobile games. Seems like cocos2d-x is the best way to go for a 2d engine that you can build to both major platforms with. Plus it has support for Box2D which is a really decent physics library. Both Box2d and cocos2d-x are open-source too, so no licensing costs. If i can get into this and get some experience with it before the end of Qantm.
I'm gonna get my team to use this and just teach my designer how to use unity to pump out prototypes and concepts. Either that or I'll do the concepting myself.. I had a working playable prototype of my current game working within 3 9-5 days of working with unity, and that was including learning how to use unity from scratch and writing a swipe manager which I'll be used in pretty much any game. So I'd be able to probably do two or three new prototypes a day until i find something really fun. Then make that game properly in cocos2d-x and box2d.

As for Animal Control, I wouldn't recommend going back and making updates unless it's selling fair numbers consistently. Especially optimising for phones like mine which are like 2.5 years out of date I've been doing a fair bit of reading on indie dev lately and one of the main agreed points is that you can't hold onto games for too long. If it does well, then awesome, keep making updates.. Otherwise just forget about it and move onto your next project. I heard that Angry Birds was Rovio's 52nd game or something like that.. That's a shitload of games to make before finding the one that was a lot of fun to play..

Anyways, this post ended up being stupidly long and written off and on over a period of about an hour lol. So here's hoping i didn't trail off or start repeating myself or whatever..
Old 10-10-2011   #36
lillb
Casual User

Corona has Box2d built in if I'm not mistaken. I have heard of cocos 2d and that seems pretty popular. I didn't know it was multiplatform though.

Corona actually uses Lua script for all program logic. The biggest downfall to it is you can't often use other libraries that you could use with a native app and maybe some other engines. They have worked out openfeint and some other stuff though. Their support is top notch as well. Their CEO often replies directly to forum posts or tweets and the rest of the developer community is pretty helpful too.

We originally were going to use Flash and Air to develop apps but it wasn't as great as it sounded. Unity was a bit expensive for us, although if its a one time fee its better in the long run. We'll likely evaluate where we're at when our year of Corona runs out and see what the next step is.

Good luck with everything. When are you done at Qantm?
Im finishing up my last classes this semester and then hopefully I'll be picking up a job at a game studio. I'm gonna shoot for Irrational or 38 Studios as well as some of the smaller ones in the area. If none of that works I'll likely get a job at the start up my friends working for since they'll be needing programmers. Unless one of these mobile games really takes off and makes me a millionaire
Old 10-10-2011   #37
Legham
a.k.a, Fosters Breath

Lua support's pretty awesome. One of my lecturers never shuts up about Lua

I finish at qantm in the start of December. Although i don't have any classes any more.. Just the final project which i dunno if i mentioned.. It's a PC 3d sumo-style battle arena game for up to 4 players. And my internship is part of the degree, which is the mobile game. Job markets ridiculously bad atm in Australia though, even far worse than when i started two years ago. Almost all of the big names have shut down since i started at Qantm. Biggest names are Sega and Halfbrick. But I'm ok with the likelihood of not getting a job. I'd really like enjoy spending at least a couple of years doing indie dev. And even if we don't get a decent income from it we'll still have some extra fodder for a portfolio.

Good luck with your job hunting to =D
Old 04-13-2012   #38
lillb
Casual User

OK well we just finished working on our first free game. It's a virtual pet game and you can get it now for free.
http://itunes.apple.com/us/app/kozmo...ts/id513049530
Old 04-13-2012   #39
Zidane

Zidane has a reputation beyond reputeZidane has a reputation beyond reputeZidane has a reputation beyond reputeZidane has a reputation beyond reputeZidane has a reputation beyond reputeZidane has a reputation beyond reputeZidane has a reputation beyond reputeZidane has a reputation beyond reputeZidane has a reputation beyond reputeZidane has a reputation beyond reputeZidane has a reputation beyond repute
Getting it now
Zidane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2012   #40
lillb
Casual User

Cool make sure to let us know what you think. We're taking feedback at feedback@ratdoggames.com or just post it here and I'll see it.