Go Back   GTAGaming Forums > Grand Theft Auto > Grand Theft Auto V
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Old 04-09-2012   #1
Bigbeats23

Bigbeats23 will become famous soon enoughBigbeats23 will become famous soon enoughBigbeats23 will become famous soon enoughBigbeats23 will become famous soon enoughBigbeats23 will become famous soon enoughBigbeats23 will become famous soon enoughBigbeats23 will become famous soon enough
GTA V in October 2012!

The most legit thing I've seen, especially since it's from a current Rockstar North employee, and it's already been taken down.

http://www.joystiq.com/2012/04/08/ro...-an-october-l/
Bigbeats23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2012   #2
THB

THB will become famous soon enoughTHB will become famous soon enoughTHB will become famous soon enoughTHB will become famous soon enoughTHB will become famous soon enoughTHB will become famous soon enoughTHB will become famous soon enoughTHB will become famous soon enoughTHB will become famous soon enough
Just saw that, hopefully there is some truth in that =)
THB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2012   #3
Lukeyy19
Sophisticated Silliness
Addicted Member

Lukeyy19 is a splendid one to beholdLukeyy19 is a splendid one to beholdLukeyy19 is a splendid one to beholdLukeyy19 is a splendid one to beholdLukeyy19 is a splendid one to beholdLukeyy19 is a splendid one to beholdLukeyy19 is a splendid one to beholdLukeyy19 is a splendid one to beholdLukeyy19 is a splendid one to beholdLukeyy19 is a splendid one to beholdLukeyy19 is a splendid one to behold
Take-Two are already releasing Bioshock Infinite in October, i can't imaging they'd overshadow it with GTA V
Old 04-10-2012   #4
Bigbeats23

Bigbeats23 will become famous soon enoughBigbeats23 will become famous soon enoughBigbeats23 will become famous soon enoughBigbeats23 will become famous soon enoughBigbeats23 will become famous soon enoughBigbeats23 will become famous soon enoughBigbeats23 will become famous soon enough
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lukeyy19 View Post
Take-Two are already releasing Bioshock Infinite in October, i can't imaging they'd overshadow it with GTA V
This is true, but they might think those two games can both do well even if they come out around the same time. I'm sure a lot of people are fans of Bioshock, but could care less about GTA and vice versa. I think people who want both will probably do whatever they can to get them on release day(me), or get one on release and then the other for the holidays.

Last year we got Arkham City, BF3, MW3, Uncharted 3, and Skyrim between October 18th and November 11th. They weren't released by the same parent company, but the point I'm making is they all did extremely well because they were all popular franchises. If any two were released by the same company, it would've been a great season for that company.
Old 04-10-2012   #5
thenotsogoodtrickster
late on the feels
Loyal Member

thenotsogoodtrickster is a splendid one to beholdthenotsogoodtrickster is a splendid one to beholdthenotsogoodtrickster is a splendid one to beholdthenotsogoodtrickster is a splendid one to beholdthenotsogoodtrickster is a splendid one to beholdthenotsogoodtrickster is a splendid one to beholdthenotsogoodtrickster is a splendid one to beholdthenotsogoodtrickster is a splendid one to beholdthenotsogoodtrickster is a splendid one to beholdthenotsogoodtrickster is a splendid one to beholdthenotsogoodtrickster is a splendid one to behold
That's a fair point, but they're released around the same time to compete with each other and generate cash for the company.

Let's say, for agument's sake, that Bioshock and GTA V are released on the same day, and that people buying those games (and this is not a totally unrealistic proposition given the state of the economy), only have the money to buy one or the other. Whichever way you look at it, such as the public splitting 50/50 and generating a million sales, that's still only a million sales.

Now if they're a couple of months apart, people may be more inclined to buy both as they can have the money handy. Releasing two top titles so close together makes no sense from a business point of view.
Old 04-10-2012   #6
THB

THB will become famous soon enoughTHB will become famous soon enoughTHB will become famous soon enoughTHB will become famous soon enoughTHB will become famous soon enoughTHB will become famous soon enoughTHB will become famous soon enoughTHB will become famous soon enoughTHB will become famous soon enough
Bioshock and GTA are quite different games, but one can like both series.
So if they release both games in the same month some will only buy GTA V, some will only buy Bioshock, some will buy both at release day, some will buy GTA on release and wait to buy Bioshock and vice versa.

And by the looks of that screenshot XBOX360, PS3 and PC will be released at the same time which seems to be the same as some rumours from earlier.
THB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2012   #7
Bigbeats23

Quote:
Originally Posted by thenotsogoodtrickster View Post
Let's say, for agument's sake, that Bioshock and GTA V are released on the same day, and that people buying those games (and this is not a totally unrealistic proposition given the state of the economy), only have the money to buy one or the other. Whichever way you look at it, such as the public splitting 50/50 and generating a million sales, that's still only a million sales.

Now if they're a couple of months apart, people may be more inclined to buy both as they can have the money handy. Releasing two top titles so close together makes no sense from a business point of view.
I get your point, but the problem with what you're saying is you're only looking at the business from one perspective. You're saying if a company releases two titles around the same time they will compete with each other, but that's not necessarily a bad thing.

The Bioshock franchise and the GTA franchise are not even close to the same league when it comes to unit sales. Bioshock will probably do a few hundred in the first week and go on to do few million total. GTA will do a few million in the first week. That's why releasing them close together is actually a smart business move. They may split the market, but it's nowhere close to an even split, and either way the money is still going to Take-Two.

Let's go high for Bioshock and low for GTA. Bioshock does 400,000 units in the first week, and GTA does 2 million. That of course means 2.4 million was the maximum amount of units that were ever going to be sold between those two games in their first week. You could say GTA cut into Bioshock's sales and it probably did, but you could also say if GTA didn't release that month, Take-Two wouldn't even be able to sale a million units. Both games will still be available up until and after Christmas, so whichever one you don't get on release you save up and buy later or you ask Santa to leave it under the tree.

It's true that releasing two games around the same time will inevitably split the market to some degree, but you also have to take into account the sheer amount of sales that are added to the mix.

Last edited by Bigbeats23; 04-10-2012 at 05:17 PM..
Old 04-10-2012   #8
Lukeyy19
Sophisticated Silliness
Addicted Member

Lukeyy19 is a splendid one to beholdLukeyy19 is a splendid one to beholdLukeyy19 is a splendid one to beholdLukeyy19 is a splendid one to beholdLukeyy19 is a splendid one to beholdLukeyy19 is a splendid one to beholdLukeyy19 is a splendid one to beholdLukeyy19 is a splendid one to beholdLukeyy19 is a splendid one to beholdLukeyy19 is a splendid one to beholdLukeyy19 is a splendid one to behold
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bigbeats23 View Post
I get your point, but the problem with what you're saying is you're only looking at the business from one perspective. You're saying if a company releases two titles around the same time they will compete with each other, but that's not necessarily a bad thing.

The Bioshock franchise and the GTA franchise are not even close to the same league when it comes to unit sales. Bioshock will probably do a few hundred in the first week and go on to do few million total. GTA will do a few million in the first week. That's why releasing them close together is actually a smart business move. They may split the market, but it's nowhere close to an even split, and either way the money is still going to Take-Two.

Let's go high for Bioshock and low for GTA. Bioshock does 400,000 units in the first week, and GTA does 2 million. That of course means 2.4 million was the maximum amount of units that were ever going to be sold between those two games in their first week. You could say GTA cut into Bioshock's sales and it probably did, but you could also say if GTA didn't release that month, Take-Two wouldn't even be able to sale a million units. Both games will still be available up until and after Christmas, so whichever one you don't get on release you save up and buy later or you ask Santa to leave it under the tree.

It's true that releasing two games around the same time will inevitably split the market to some degree, but you also have to take into account the sheer amount of sales that are added to the mix.
I'm not quite sure what you're suggesting... Are you saying that releasing two games at the same time will create more sales?

GTA will do well no matter what time of year it's released, it's not exactly a stocking filler, people want it the moment it's released, whereas while there are those who are the same with bioshock, it's not such a big franchise, GTA would overshadow it, and it's initial sales would suffer.

While you can argue that the people who want Bioshock will buy it eventually anyway, you're only looking at it from one perspective, when Black Ops was released I had never been a fan of FPS games but because there was nothing else that interested me at the time, I picked it up, you have to account for these sort of impulse buys too, they probably make up a large proportion of the market.

Modern Warefare 3 and Battlefield 3 were released around the same time, and I could afford both, but I chose to just get Battlefield and hold out for a price drop on MW3, as did most of my gaming friends.

Releasing a more popular game around the same time as a competitors game release can be a good strategy, releasing a more popular game which will overshadow another of your franchises, is a bad move.
Old 04-10-2012   #9
Bigbeats23

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lukeyy19 View Post
I'm not quite sure what you're suggesting... Are you saying that releasing two games at the same time will create more sales?

GTA will do well no matter what time of year it's released, it's not exactly a stocking filler, people want it the moment it's released, whereas while there are those who are the same with bioshock, it's not such a big franchise, GTA would overshadow it, and it's initial sales would suffer.

While you can argue that the people who want Bioshock will buy it eventually anyway, you're only looking at it from one perspective, when Black Ops was released I had never been a fan of FPS games but because there was nothing else that interested me at the time, I picked it up, you have to account for these sort of impulse buys too, they probably make up a large proportion of the market.

Modern Warefare 3 and Battlefield 3 were released around the same time, and I could afford both, but I chose to just get Battlefield and hold out for a price drop on MW3, as did most of my gaming friends.

Releasing a more popular game around the same time as a competitors game release can be a good strategy, releasing a more popular game which will overshadow another of your franchises, is a bad move.
The example of games I gave in an earlier post all came out with the most popular game ever, and all did very well. Take-Two already has projections of what Bioshock Infinite will do, and they have the same for GTA V.

We all have our opinions, but it's really just all about what Take-Two wants this year. Releasing them close together isn't a definite bad move unless it hurts one of your games. We just have to agree to disagree about the sales part, because I don't think GTA V will affect Bioshock's sales anymore than any other competitor. It's just too solid of a franchise and the fans love Ken levine and Irrational Games.
Old 04-10-2012   #10
EarthCrisis

EarthCrisis is on a distinguished roadEarthCrisis is on a distinguished roadEarthCrisis is on a distinguished roadEarthCrisis is on a distinguished road
remember what happened with IV they said it was coming out that october and then we still had to wait until april
Old 04-11-2012   #11
Bigbeats23

Quote:
Originally Posted by EarthCrisis View Post
remember what happened with IV they said it was coming out that october and then we still had to wait until april
I didn't want my mind to go here, but it probably makes the most sense. It seems like most Rockstar games are delayed nowadays. I remember thinking we would only get GTA games in October, but the delay of GTA IV messed everything up. My only hope is GTA V was scheduled for late October for awhile, but the Max Payne delay made them keep their mouths shut until that game was ready for release. I believe if Max Payne 3 already came out, or never existed, we would have many more GTA V trailers and a confirmed date in late October.
Old 04-11-2012   #12
Lukeyy19
Sophisticated Silliness
Addicted Member

Perhaps October was the original plan, hence it was on the Guy's CV, but they don't want to announce a date until it's final, so there are no huge delays this time (as per GTA IV)

Edit: It just occurred to me, that the Licence Plates in the trailer said OCT.

Last edited by Lukeyy19; 04-11-2012 at 08:49 AM..
Lukeyy19 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2012   #13
Bigbeats23

Cool find Lukeyy19. And what you said makes a lot of sense.

More than anything else, I just wanna be playing GTA V as soon as possible!
Old 04-11-2012   #14
iKlipse

iKlipse has a reputation beyond reputeiKlipse has a reputation beyond reputeiKlipse has a reputation beyond reputeiKlipse has a reputation beyond reputeiKlipse has a reputation beyond reputeiKlipse has a reputation beyond reputeiKlipse has a reputation beyond reputeiKlipse has a reputation beyond reputeiKlipse has a reputation beyond reputeiKlipse has a reputation beyond reputeiKlipse has a reputation beyond repute
It does make sense for a possible release in October. Despite the fact that Bioshock will be released in the same month, it all comes down to how much they advertise. After Max Payne 3, GTA V news will be everywhere. Bioshock and GTA are two different genres and probably attract a different crowd of gamers, but that also gives them November and december to go on a pre-release advertisement rampage leading up to christmas. But who knows, they might delay one title to get the most out of sales.
iKlipse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2012   #15
Nite
Addicted PC Gamer

Nite has a brilliant futureNite has a brilliant futureNite has a brilliant futureNite has a brilliant futureNite has a brilliant futureNite has a brilliant futureNite has a brilliant futureNite has a brilliant futureNite has a brilliant futureNite has a brilliant futureNite has a brilliant future
this will be the first time I've seen rockstar release a GTA game on multi platform if it does happen, at least PC users don't have to wait 6 to 8 months.

i7 2600k @ 4.2Ghz | 16GB Corsair Vengeance DDR3 1333 | 4GB EVGA GTX 770 SC ACX | EVGA Z68 SLI
Nite is offline   Reply With Quote