Old 02-27-2012   #1
shmimbadad

shmimbadad is on a distinguished roadshmimbadad is on a distinguished roadshmimbadad is on a distinguished roadshmimbadad is on a distinguished road
Menu is gone?

So, I'm on GTA 4 version 1.0.0.4, I just installed Alexander blade's asi loader, and filecheckfix, and a trainer for spawning cars and whatnot. Now I have no menus in the game. Everything still seems to work, if I can figure the right button presses to find it, just the menu is invisible. Both in game, and the startup menu before getting into the game. Any ideas?
shmimbadad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2012   #2
Killerfist
Arms Dealer
Addicted Member

Killerfist is a splendid one to beholdKillerfist is a splendid one to beholdKillerfist is a splendid one to beholdKillerfist is a splendid one to beholdKillerfist is a splendid one to beholdKillerfist is a splendid one to beholdKillerfist is a splendid one to beholdKillerfist is a splendid one to beholdKillerfist is a splendid one to beholdKillerfist is a splendid one to beholdKillerfist is a splendid one to behold
Maybe you didn't download the correct version, I'd recommend updating to patch 1.0.4.0. at least most mods are programmed for that one.
Killerfist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2012   #3
shmimbadad

shmimbadad is on a distinguished roadshmimbadad is on a distinguished roadshmimbadad is on a distinguished roadshmimbadad is on a distinguished road
That's the version I have. Did I say 1.0.0.4? Damn excessive zeros confusing me. haha. it's definitely 1.0.4, and all the mods i've installed have said they were designed for 1.0.4. And, everything else is working fine, I can even use the menus (if I remember exactly how many clicks in any direction to get to what i want. It's just the text thats gone. The map is even still there, but if I turn on the legend, all the icons show up on the left, without the text. I have a backed up copy of the original unmodded game, and I only really intend to use the modded copy to mess around with, so it's not too big of a deal. I can still start the game, see the map, and find the invisible quit button when I'm done. Just a minor annoyance.
Old 02-28-2012   #4
Killerfist
Arms Dealer
Addicted Member

Killerfist is a splendid one to beholdKillerfist is a splendid one to beholdKillerfist is a splendid one to beholdKillerfist is a splendid one to beholdKillerfist is a splendid one to beholdKillerfist is a splendid one to beholdKillerfist is a splendid one to beholdKillerfist is a splendid one to beholdKillerfist is a splendid one to beholdKillerfist is a splendid one to beholdKillerfist is a splendid one to behold
Maybe some remaining part of your graphics mod? are you sure you uninstalled it correctly ?
Old 02-28-2012   #5
shmimbadad

Well I'm not actually using any graphics mods. I tried icenhancer, and my laptop definitely couldn't handle it. So, all I have is the asi loader, scripthook, the simple native trainer, and a few car mods. And the menu disappeared before installing any of the car mods. Soon as I put in the trainer and the asi loader. I thought it might be the trainer, so I switched to a different one, and the menu was still gone. I went ahead and switched back to the simple native trainer, because it uses U,I,O,J,K,L for its commands, and my laptop doesn't have a numpad.
Old 02-28-2012   #6
Killerfist
Arms Dealer
Addicted Member

Yeah but if you know your laptop can't handle it I assume you've tried it? So maybe when removing it you've forgotten about a certain file. But it's kind of a wierd thing you're having, I never heard of anyone having problems with the letters not being visible. Is everything the right size? you said you're able to look at the map for example. If it's a resolution problem it might be a scriptfile of some sort remaining from the graphics mod (or did you reinstall your game complete after trying it?).
Old 02-28-2012   #7
shmimbadad

Yeah, i had a complete game folder backup from before installing any mods, and i restored with that after icenhancer was giving me framerates in the sub 15fps range. and yeah, all the images are still the right size and resolution.

So I found a makeshift solution for this. The main reason it was even an issue not being able to see the menus is because I wanted to get into the graphics options and turn some things down to get a little better framerate. I had made an entire backup of the whole game folder, so that when I felt like it, I could swap it in place of the modded one and continue my game without the mods (I do intend to finish the story eventually =P). So, with some experimentation, I realized that the graphics options (and it looks like all the other options, for that matter) are saved the Games for Windows account, rather than somewhere in the game folder. So, I loaded up my unmodded version, with menus intact, changed the things I wanted to change, then switched back to the modded copy of the game, and the changes were there. Much better framerate now, and with all my fancy cars. Sweet!

Also noticed, the saved games also appear to be linked to the GFW account rather than the game, and when I loaded my main save game (which I had saved since using mods) in the unmodded copy of the game, I got a "fatal error" as soon as I tried to leave the safehouse. Luckily, I had another save game that was only a few missions back from my main one, and it seems to be working just fine in the unmodded copy. I guess I just have to keep that in mind, and keep at least one save game that's never been saved with mods. No biggie. Interesting stuff though.

Last edited by shmimbadad; 02-29-2012 at 03:11 AM.. Reason: auto-merged double post