Go Back   GTAGaming Forums > Grand Theft Auto Mods > Grand Theft Auto IV Mods
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Old 01-08-2012   #1
RedRevolution
Newbie Member

RedRevolution is on a distinguished roadRedRevolution is on a distinguished roadRedRevolution is on a distinguished road
Question In Need of Help. Donate answers Generously!

Hello to everybody.
I just have to say that I attempted to install GTAIV on my desktop and I sat up all night 10pm - 7am trying to find solutions for this. I finally managed to get GTAIV installed however it reads "GTA Fatal Error DD3D50" so it was a waste of time. My computer is about 5 years old so this may be the problem. Therefore, I may get a laptop which will be better than my desktop. Below of this paragraph is all that you need to know about this laptop.

I am asking your advice.Will this work for GTAIV?

HP G56 15.6" Laptop

£399.99

• 15.6" widescreen LCD
• Dual core AMD Athlon™ II X2 P360 processor
• Microsoft Genuine Windows® 7 Home Premium operating system
• 320GB hard drive
• 3GB RAM
• Built-in DVD writer
• Built-in wireless LAN and bluetooth technologies
• 3x USB ports
• SD card reader
• Built-in Altec Lansing speakers
• Built-in VGA webcam with integrated digital microphone

Thanks all who reply and hope this post doesn't get lost like the other one...
RedRevolution is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2012   #2
TheFourthHorse

TheFourthHorse will become famous soon enoughTheFourthHorse will become famous soon enoughTheFourthHorse will become famous soon enoughTheFourthHorse will become famous soon enoughTheFourthHorse will become famous soon enoughTheFourthHorse will become famous soon enough
That error is in regards to a DirectX/GPU issue. If your computer is indeed 5 years old then I have no doubt that any laptop you get would be better then this but if its games you want to play then you will have to look to more than just you CPU and RAM and you may even want to go with another desktop if price and reliability are an issue.

Above all else, the most important thing to computer gaming is the Graphics Card or GPU. Any computer you get should have this listed along with the RAM and CPU to assure it's not just another integrated GPU. While laptops are more convenient they are also known to be less reliable, given to overheating, more expensive, and difficult (if not impossible) to upgrade.

Desktops will provide you with more performance for your buck and will allow you to make cheaper upgrades as the years go by as opposed to just buying a new one when the hardware becomes old. I would recommend this for your current computer but chances are your mother board, PSU, and maybe even your case aren't built to take a modern GPU which needs a PCI-E slot and generally a higher power supply than that of ordinary desktops.

But then again, if your life style calls for an on-the-go computer, gaming laptops are built well these days. While they do have their risks or drawbacks I'm sure you would not be disappointed.

One thing I will say about this laptop... a quad core processor would be better and more Ram would give more breathing room for your operating system and other background processes.

Does it say anything at all about a GPU?

Last edited by TheFourthHorse; 01-09-2012 at 04:57 AM..
TheFourthHorse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2012   #3
RedRevolution
Newbie Member

RedRevolution is on a distinguished roadRedRevolution is on a distinguished roadRedRevolution is on a distinguished road
Arrow ...

Okay thanks for that and Yes well that info above was for the laptop I was going to get but don't know yet. The information that I will leave below is what I currently have so if you could give extra advice on that and if I can upgrade anything on that to be able to play GTA:IV.
If not then at least anything that will be able to play GTA: Sanandreas.

Details:
Intel Celeron CPU 2.66GHz + 992 MB of RAM
Windows XP Service Pack 3

Thanks again. -J
Old 01-09-2012   #4
TheFourthHorse

TheFourthHorse will become famous soon enoughTheFourthHorse will become famous soon enoughTheFourthHorse will become famous soon enoughTheFourthHorse will become famous soon enoughTheFourthHorse will become famous soon enoughTheFourthHorse will become famous soon enough
Yea judging from the age of your CPU and your limited RAM I can assume your motherboard and likely your PSU would need to be replaced in order to take on newer components. Unfortunately I don’t know the form factor of your motherboard and consequently your computer size.

Without making too big an assumption, I think it's fair to say it's not worth the time and effort to try and upgrade it. It would be like trying to restore a car when all you can keep is the frame and steering wheel… better to junk it and maybe use the spare parts.

Better to buy a new one or build one from the ground up if your savvy enough.

__________________________________________________ ______________________

As for San Andreas here are the recommended and minimum PC requirements. I can not speak for myself because I never owned the game on PC but it would seem like just about any rig could handle this game provided you have a DirectX 9 compatible card.

Last edited by TheFourthHorse; 01-09-2012 at 06:07 AM..
Old 01-09-2012   #5
RedRevolution
Newbie Member

Oh okay then I understand now. So I'm gonna contact PC WORLD now and see what they suggest.
Thanks for the support and you've been a big help to the LCPD ...

Thanks again. -J

---------------------------------------CASE CLOSED-----------------------------------------------------------------------------
Old 01-09-2012   #6
TheFourthHorse

Sounds like a good plan. Good luck and have fun!