Old 12-18-2011   #1
Zero
Veteran Member

Zero has a reputation beyond reputeZero has a reputation beyond reputeZero has a reputation beyond reputeZero has a reputation beyond reputeZero has a reputation beyond reputeZero has a reputation beyond reputeZero has a reputation beyond reputeZero has a reputation beyond reputeZero has a reputation beyond reputeZero has a reputation beyond reputeZero has a reputation beyond repute
Exclamation Stop Online Piracy Act

If you somehow managed to be on the internet the last few weeks and have not heard about this, do yourself a favor and watch this.

I realize 80% of the people here are of parts outside North America. But you can still do your part and this still affects you. There are some links in the video descriptions, but I'll copy and paste here them as well. Something this major needs as much attention as it can get. So if you could, pass around all this knowledge and inform people you know. Because this is all some pretty heavy shit and would ruin the internet as we know it. If you are from America, this link will allow you to send a message to your representative. There's an auto-fill form put in (that you can alter if needed) and it only takes a few short minutes to fill out and say a little extra about the importance of this bill to you.

http://www.reddit.com/r/technology/c...s_this_is_how_...
http://tinyurl.com/techdirtsopa
http://reddit.com/r/sopa
http://www.americancensorship.org
http://tinyurl.com/universalcensors
http://tinyurl.com/writetocongress
http://www.avaaz.org/en/save_the_internet
http://t.co/vIhyPU9z
http://www.wired.com/threatlevel/201...-vote-delayed/
https://www.eff.org/deeplinks/2011/1...lacklist-bills

EDIT: Yeah I kinda figured. Oh well. Least I tried!

Last edited by Zero; 12-18-2011 at 05:15 PM..
Zero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2011   #2
The Shy Child.
GamerTag: shychild2010

The Shy Child. is a name known to allThe Shy Child. is a name known to allThe Shy Child. is a name known to allThe Shy Child. is a name known to allThe Shy Child. is a name known to allThe Shy Child. is a name known to allThe Shy Child. is a name known to allThe Shy Child. is a name known to allThe Shy Child. is a name known to allThe Shy Child. is a name known to allThe Shy Child. is a name known to all
All it takes it is one user on one site and its shutdown no matter how big or how important the site actually is. That means you can kiss Youtube, Facebook, Twitter, Google+. Any site that allows users to upload content will be shutdown. Lets destroy the largest freedom of speech tool in history because old media's existance and business models are no longer relevant.

You can't complain about piracy unless you have an online alternative to it. Many of the businesses that are supporters of this bill don't have that alternative to piracy, so why should they get a fucking say about how the internet is run when they are not even involved in selling their content on it. One day America will just have a wall like like the great firewall of China but the diffirence will be that it won't be built by the US goverment.
Old 12-18-2011   #3
Ash_735

Ash_735 has a reputation beyond reputeAsh_735 has a reputation beyond reputeAsh_735 has a reputation beyond reputeAsh_735 has a reputation beyond reputeAsh_735 has a reputation beyond reputeAsh_735 has a reputation beyond reputeAsh_735 has a reputation beyond reputeAsh_735 has a reputation beyond reputeAsh_735 has a reputation beyond reputeAsh_735 has a reputation beyond reputeAsh_735 has a reputation beyond repute
I hope it doesn't pass, this will affect gaming to! I'm sure at least one other person here has read about how Sony and Naughty Dog are trying to get a ban lifted on YouTube after VIACOM flagged trailers for The Last of US as BREACH OF COPYRIGHT on NAUGHTY DOG'S OWN CHANNEL! Do we really want to give morons like this full power to just shut down websites? It's already bad enough we have Viacom, WMG, etc, thinking they own everything on YouTube with their buggy auto-detection software which can get videos pulled if as much a person HUMS a song that falls under their copyright! So come the hell on America, stand up for yourselves, spread this about and make it bloody known that you're against it, unless you're happy just handing complete control of the Internet over to corporations.
Ash_735 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2011   #4
lillb
Casual User

lillb has a brilliant futurelillb has a brilliant futurelillb has a brilliant futurelillb has a brilliant futurelillb has a brilliant futurelillb has a brilliant futurelillb has a brilliant futurelillb has a brilliant futurelillb has a brilliant futurelillb has a brilliant futurelillb has a brilliant future
I was following the proceedings through demandprogress.org
A guy at work was talking to a bunch of people about it as well. Most people had no idea what it was so it is important to get the word out.
Old 12-18-2011   #5
Zero
Veteran Member

Zero has a reputation beyond reputeZero has a reputation beyond reputeZero has a reputation beyond reputeZero has a reputation beyond reputeZero has a reputation beyond reputeZero has a reputation beyond reputeZero has a reputation beyond reputeZero has a reputation beyond reputeZero has a reputation beyond reputeZero has a reputation beyond reputeZero has a reputation beyond repute
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ash_735 View Post
I hope it doesn't pass, this will affect gaming to! I'm sure at least one other person here has read about how Sony and Naughty Dog are trying to get a ban lifted on YouTube after VIACOM flagged trailers for The Last of US as BREACH OF COPYRIGHT on NAUGHTY DOG'S OWN CHANNEL! Do we really want to give morons like this full power to just shut down websites? It's already bad enough we have Viacom, WMG, etc, thinking they own everything on YouTube with their buggy auto-detection software which can get videos pulled if as much a person HUMS a song that falls under their copyright! So come the hell on America, stand up for yourselves, spread this about and make it bloody known that you're against it, unless you're happy just handing complete control of the Internet over to corporations.
Would it be completely outlandish to ask that this thread or some type of synopsis of this whole act be posted on the front page? I know it's not exactly GTA-related, but it would greatly help get the word out. I know I didn't put all this information together the best it could have been, so if you do decide to put it up, feel free to add more to it. You're much better at posting news.
Old 12-18-2011   #6
Ash_735

Ash_735 has a reputation beyond reputeAsh_735 has a reputation beyond reputeAsh_735 has a reputation beyond reputeAsh_735 has a reputation beyond reputeAsh_735 has a reputation beyond reputeAsh_735 has a reputation beyond reputeAsh_735 has a reputation beyond reputeAsh_735 has a reputation beyond reputeAsh_735 has a reputation beyond reputeAsh_735 has a reputation beyond reputeAsh_735 has a reputation beyond repute
I don't think many Americans would take too kindly to a Brit telling them what to do in their own councils and Government However I do agree it would be good to put on the Home Page, after all, a lot of stuff that we go through could easily be banned and removed under SOPA *looks at American Admins*.
Old 12-18-2011   #7
Zero
Veteran Member

No way, man! TotalBuscuit's video is creeping up on 1 million views, and he's British. Plus where you're from is irrelevant. Something like this should be important to everyone and they need to be informed, no matter who they hear it from.

Don't sell yourself short.
Old 12-18-2011   #8
lillb
Casual User

lillb has a brilliant futurelillb has a brilliant futurelillb has a brilliant futurelillb has a brilliant futurelillb has a brilliant futurelillb has a brilliant futurelillb has a brilliant futurelillb has a brilliant futurelillb has a brilliant futurelillb has a brilliant futurelillb has a brilliant future
As an American I approve of this message.
Old 12-18-2011   #9
Ash_735

Ok, well I'll leave it up to the Admins for now, but if nothing is done by tomorrow, then I'll throw up a post on this, if it gets removed, then oh well, I tried!
Old 12-18-2011   #10
Sasha

Sasha is a splendid one to beholdSasha is a splendid one to beholdSasha is a splendid one to beholdSasha is a splendid one to beholdSasha is a splendid one to beholdSasha is a splendid one to beholdSasha is a splendid one to beholdSasha is a splendid one to beholdSasha is a splendid one to beholdSasha is a splendid one to beholdSasha is a splendid one to behold
As long as people with a technical understanding have a say in it, it will never go through.

Something like this can literally break the Internet (yes, it is possible), founders of the network had stated so themselves. In a nut shell it would cause huge instabilities for DNS servers if records are constantly removed and re-added, which would then mean every DNS server in the world would need constant changes. From what I understand this system doesn't actually remove the actual websites but just remove the DNS records, and I assume the route to the IP associated with the record, otherwise the system is pretty stupid as people can just use IPs to share torrent websites.

For those who don't understand, DNS - Domain Name Servers.

When you type www.google.com into your browser, it goes to your ISP DNS server which then directs you to the IP address where the website is hosted.

Not to mention, giving the government this sort of power is extremely dangerous. It may start with good intentions of stopping piracy, but somewhere along the line they might think "Well wait a minute, we can take down websites. Why don't we just take down anything that is harmful to X group or X people?" and eventually lead to the removal of any website they deem inappropriate or offensive.
Sasha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2011   #11
Piggus
Wicked Member

Piggus has a reputation beyond reputePiggus has a reputation beyond reputePiggus has a reputation beyond reputePiggus has a reputation beyond reputePiggus has a reputation beyond reputePiggus has a reputation beyond reputePiggus has a reputation beyond reputePiggus has a reputation beyond reputePiggus has a reputation beyond reputePiggus has a reputation beyond reputePiggus has a reputation beyond repute
I get a lot of emails from Demand Progress about this and I think it's pretty unlikely it will pass at this point. A lot of people are finding out about it (and against it) and the senate is not going to pass something that would outrage the public during an election year. More people still need to know about it though.

Core i5 2500K @ 4.8 GHz || 16 GBs 1600 MHz DDR3 || Sapphire Radeon HD 7970 || Dual 128 GB SSDs
Piggus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2011   #12
The Shy Child.
GamerTag: shychild2010

The Shy Child. is a name known to allThe Shy Child. is a name known to allThe Shy Child. is a name known to allThe Shy Child. is a name known to allThe Shy Child. is a name known to allThe Shy Child. is a name known to allThe Shy Child. is a name known to allThe Shy Child. is a name known to allThe Shy Child. is a name known to allThe Shy Child. is a name known to allThe Shy Child. is a name known to all
I don't think I have ever seen so much opposition to a bill than I have with SOPA.
Old 12-19-2011   #13
Xan
█▄▄█▄▄█ █▬█ █

Xan has a reputation beyond reputeXan has a reputation beyond reputeXan has a reputation beyond reputeXan has a reputation beyond reputeXan has a reputation beyond reputeXan has a reputation beyond reputeXan has a reputation beyond reputeXan has a reputation beyond reputeXan has a reputation beyond reputeXan has a reputation beyond reputeXan has a reputation beyond repute
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sasha View Post
As long as people with a technical understanding have a say in it, it will never go through.

Something like this can literally break the Internet (yes, it is possible), founders of the network had stated so themselves. In a nut shell it would cause huge instabilities for DNS servers if records are constantly removed and re-added, which would then mean every DNS server in the world would need constant changes. From what I understand this system doesn't actually remove the actual websites but just remove the DNS records, and I assume the route to the IP associated with the record, otherwise the system is pretty stupid as people can just use IPs to share torrent websites.

For those who don't understand, DNS - Domain Name Servers.

When you type www.google.com into your browser, it goes to your ISP DNS server which then directs you to the IP address where the website is hosted.

Not to mention, giving the government this sort of power is extremely dangerous. It may start with good intentions of stopping piracy, but somewhere along the line they might think "Well wait a minute, we can take down websites. Why don't we just take down anything that is harmful to X group or X people?" and eventually lead to the removal of any website they deem inappropriate or offensive.
Look at that ICE and the alphabet agencies are doing right now, making the providers take down the server/content. So far the only websites taken down had their content hosted in the states. If the website isn't hosted in the USA, and you happen to have GoDaddy as your DNS for example, then you can kiss your domain goodbye should they want your site taken down.

If you could pass a bill this vague then I'm sure you could extend the ability to literally force the content host offline in a different country via all those fancy ass treaties and deals. Take a look behind those who support the bill, and take a look at how much money has been pumped into their wallets by the entertainment biz.

So far, the EU seems to be normal.
Old 12-24-2011   #14
Ash_735

Another important video showing how the US is lead by hypocrites:
Old 12-24-2011   #15
Zidane

Zidane has a reputation beyond reputeZidane has a reputation beyond reputeZidane has a reputation beyond reputeZidane has a reputation beyond reputeZidane has a reputation beyond reputeZidane has a reputation beyond reputeZidane has a reputation beyond reputeZidane has a reputation beyond reputeZidane has a reputation beyond reputeZidane has a reputation beyond reputeZidane has a reputation beyond repute
Post it on the main page. Go go go!