Old 09-15-2011   #1
Pikutik
Newbie Member

Pikutik is on a distinguished roadPikutik is on a distinguished roadPikutik is on a distinguished roadPikutik is on a distinguished road
Best performance increase

Forgive me if I put this in the wrong place, I'm a noob here.

So, I wanted to share with you the steps to increasing your GTA IV performance while at the same time increasing the visuals. I know it sounds stupid, and in your shoes I wouldn't believe it either, but it's true.

My PC setup is as follows:

- 2,7ghz AMD dual core
- 2gb DDR2 memory
- 512mb GT 220 Nvidia

On a standard installation with patch 1.4.0. I could play with these settings, while still constantly getting around 15-25 (it was never smooth. only when I was indoors):

- 1280x1024
- low textures
- low reflections
- low shadows
- low water

- 30 view distance
- 30 detail distance
- 35 cars

At these settings, as you may know the game looks pretty shitty. Especially since having shadows at low is worse than not having them at all.

But since I did some modding and such, I've been able to get significantly better visuals with a small framerate increase. (by complete accident, of course)

Now I can play at:

- 1600x900
- medium textures
- high reflections
- high shadows
- medium water

- 35 view distance
- 30 detail distance
- 35 cars

and with these settings not only do I get beautiful visuals, but even a framerate increase of about 5-10 fps. (depends on the ammount of action going on) And I can certainly say that while it isn't as smooth as a game running at 60fps, it's very very playable indeed.

WHAT I DID:

- Clean install, patch untill 1.4.0. (gotta be moddable)
- install ICEnhancer 1.3.0. (after install, delete the icenhancer config files inside game folder - MUST DO)
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

And as much as I understand that's all you really need to do. Everything else I did served only to increase the visuals even more. (while not damaging my performance a bit. perhaps it even helped a lil bit. perhaps.)

- Installed RealizmIV (I actually just used the "pc/data/maps" folder)
- Can't remember the name, but I used an enhanced version of "stipple.wtd" to get smooth trees and fences.

By doing all these actions I managed to achieve what I already said I have. I hope someone else also tries this for it has been a godsend for me.

Before this I just could NOT play the game with a decently detailed resolution, shadows we're a no.no, the reflections we're poor and the textures we're also low which sucked.

Now, the game looks not good, but phenomenal. And it plays smoooth, which it never did.

Thank you for reading, I'm eager to hear some responses.
Pikutik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2011   #2
AngryAmoeba
Novice Modder

AngryAmoeba is on a distinguished roadAngryAmoeba is on a distinguished roadAngryAmoeba is on a distinguished road
I don't understand what's going on here. So you install ICEnhancer and delete the config files... Presumably this should just disable the ICEnhancer effects, shouldn't it?

I'd like to see a side-by-side comparison of your game now vs. everything the same except no ICEnhancer. If they look different, maybe part of ICEnhancer/ENB Series doesn't get disabled. And maybe that part changes the graphics engine in some way, making it faster. But if they look identical and perform waay different, then I really don't understand.

Of course I don't really know much about graphics engines, so if anyone can explain this, I'd love to know more.
Deadly Wrecks car wrecks hurt, seatbelt helps
Weapon Weight weapons and ammo slow you down
Weapon Storage store weapons & ammo in safehouses
Real Reload more realistic reload model for guns
Hide Radar hide the radar & health bars for HUD-free gameplay

My specs:
Q6600 @ 3.0GHz || 4GB DDR3 1333 RAM || GeForce GTX 570 1.25GB
24" LCD @ 1920x1200 || Windows 7 Professional x64 || GTA4 v1.0.4.0

Last edited by AngryAmoeba; 09-17-2011 at 05:43 PM..
AngryAmoeba is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2011   #3
Pikutik
Newbie Member

Pikutik is on a distinguished roadPikutik is on a distinguished roadPikutik is on a distinguished roadPikutik is on a distinguished road
Well, after deleting the config files the effects ICEnhacer presents persist, though I think they're a little toned down. (don't know really, haven't noticed much difference) The shadows are still smooth, the lighting effects are the same and all. But don't get me wrong, FPS wise the performance isn't big. I got just a few frames more, which in my case made it smooth enough for me to call it playable. The greatest performance gain is in that now I am able to crank my graphics settings higher while losing much much less performance in the process.

For example: If before I tried using a resolution of 1920x1080 with medium textures, and everything else set to low. The game would be so damn slow, I'd get around 5-10 fps. Now I am able to use the same resolution, medium textures and all high settings and play relatively smoothly. (though I use a bit lower resolution than 1920x1080 for it seems it gives me a few more fps)

I will make comparison screenshots and videos and post them here. I'll also run some benchmarks. Expect me to post it all here during a day or two from now (if I don't do it today)
Old 09-26-2011   #4
Pikutik
Newbie Member

Lies, lies. I apologize, please delete this thread.