Old 08-29-2011   #1
WiM
All for one.

WiM is a jewel in the roughWiM is a jewel in the roughWiM is a jewel in the roughWiM is a jewel in the roughWiM is a jewel in the roughWiM is a jewel in the roughWiM is a jewel in the roughWiM is a jewel in the roughWiM is a jewel in the roughWiM is a jewel in the roughWiM is a jewel in the rough
EFLC CrossFire issue

I've been looking all over the internet for solutions, but I can't find anything that helps, which is why I hope anyone among you know how to fix this.

I recently upgraded my computer a little and now I have two AMD Radeon HD 6870's in crossfire. The odd thing is, when I play GTA, my average framerate goes down by about 5 fps with CrossFire enabled. Turning down the visuals obviously increases the framerate, but with every benchmark, the average framerate is lower with CrossFire than without it.

I've provided these screenshots to show you the difference between enabling and disabling CrossFire.

Single card:

CrossFire:

I've tried some commands in a commandline.txt file, but to no avail...
I was wondering if anyone else has had this problem and, if so, how to solve it?
Old 08-29-2011   #2
Xan
█▄▄█▄▄█ █▬█ █

Xan has a reputation beyond reputeXan has a reputation beyond reputeXan has a reputation beyond reputeXan has a reputation beyond reputeXan has a reputation beyond reputeXan has a reputation beyond reputeXan has a reputation beyond reputeXan has a reputation beyond reputeXan has a reputation beyond reputeXan has a reputation beyond reputeXan has a reputation beyond repute
Do me a favor, download GPU-Z, open it and go to the page with the graphs and stats

Try loading GTAIV normally with CrossFire enabled, and tell me if the GPU Usage is 50% on both cards.

EDIT: By load I mean go play GTAIV normally, get into a intensive scene (Easiest way should be to set the traffic density for 100% for now)

Last edited by Xan; 08-29-2011 at 09:59 AM..
Xan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2011   #3
WiM
All for one.

WiM is a jewel in the roughWiM is a jewel in the roughWiM is a jewel in the roughWiM is a jewel in the roughWiM is a jewel in the roughWiM is a jewel in the roughWiM is a jewel in the roughWiM is a jewel in the roughWiM is a jewel in the roughWiM is a jewel in the roughWiM is a jewel in the rough
Oddly enough, it isn't. I did several tests; a few at those settings and one with everything maxed out. The highest GPU usage I got was 62 percent. It's so strange it never uses all of the GPU's power...
Old 08-29-2011   #4
Xan
█▄▄█▄▄█ █▬█ █

Xan has a reputation beyond reputeXan has a reputation beyond reputeXan has a reputation beyond reputeXan has a reputation beyond reputeXan has a reputation beyond reputeXan has a reputation beyond reputeXan has a reputation beyond reputeXan has a reputation beyond reputeXan has a reputation beyond reputeXan has a reputation beyond reputeXan has a reputation beyond repute
Either your CPU can't keep up and is holding the game back, or the game is unoptimized and doesn't fully utilize the resources given to it.

Which has been proven considering Quad CPU's get shafted and people complaining about non existent or even degraded performance on multiple GPU's. It got better with some of the latest patches, but at the beginning this was a pretty shoddy optimization job, I don't expect leaps and bounds.
Old 08-29-2011   #5
WiM
All for one.

I've got an AMD Phenom II 970 BE clocked at 3.5GHz, so I don't think that's the problem. It's just GTA that has this problem, it works just fine on any other game I have.