Go Back   GTAGaming Forums > Grand Theft Auto Mods > Grand Theft Auto IV Mods
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Old 08-17-2010   #16
takanuva200

takanuva200 is on a distinguished roadtakanuva200 is on a distinguished road
I have played for a while now and, nothings really happened´. I've tried cruising around the city and so far i've come across 2 car crews, and i don't have a number on street thugs but they always come 2 - 3 at a time, i've still not seen any mayhem, and so know im gonna jack the numbers up a bit and take a look if there have been improvement. i've also just been standing ilde to se if something happened but no it's the same 2 or 3 thugs and no car crew or mayhem peds. Btw my pc specs is:
CPU Xeon 3360 2,83 GHZ(Quadcore)
GFX: Zotac 9800gtx plus OC
and i've got 4 GB 2ddr ram.
so i don't think it's gonna overload my pc

Last edited by takanuva200; 08-17-2010 at 09:57 AM..
takanuva200 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2010   #17
Ironhide
- Ambient Wars Creator

Ironhide will become famous soon enoughIronhide will become famous soon enoughIronhide will become famous soon enoughIronhide will become famous soon enoughIronhide will become famous soon enoughIronhide will become famous soon enoughIronhide will become famous soon enough
One critical setting I forgot to mention is the ChanceCreated related settings. Car Crews, Street Thugs and Mayhem all have a property that controls the chance of it triggering during ticks. If you change those chance properties to 1, you will make it a 1 in 1 chance (100%) of it trying to find suitable cars and peds to operate on for crews, thugs and mayhem so try setting those 3, 1 in each related settings group, to 1 and see if that helps make it happen more often.

I'll be heading to the airport in about 30 minutes and I'll probably continue working on it there but I already implemented the War Presets idea I posted earlier and it works so damn well I wish I had thought of that for the last release. You can just select a preset, save, load, war. That option is definitely going to see action and get fine tuned heavily.

GTA4 is extremely CPU bound and requires a huge amount of power to have high setings and that is just the default game. When you add in all the huge extra code being performed by AW many times during each tickrate, it can crush even a beefy machine.

Ambient Wars was primarily developed on the following machine:
i7-975 Extreme Edition 4@4ghz
2xGTX295 w/Extreme OC QSLI
8G-LLPT
2xRaptor RAID0

Game setings are 1920x1200 and resources usually 1.6G or thereabouts.

And for reference on what it can do to even a monster rig like this, using the new Armageddon preset, it bogs this machine badly. There's a lot going on when AW is active. I mean a LOT so it can rip a strong rig to pieces.

I do intend on stopping new feature development soon to go back and do a total performance analysis and see where performance can be enhanced throgh effeciency, differnt techniques etc etc. What exists right now is a working and stable core set of fetures but nothing anywhere has been refined for performance. The 1st and only objective was to create a functioning stable base, to be performance-tweaked later.

When I finally get a chance to do that it should help, definitely to a small degree at-least and hopefully to a considerable degree I'll just have to see what can be done in each piece of code better and more effeciently where possible.

Last edited by Ironhide; 08-17-2010 at 09:37 AM..
Ironhide is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2010   #18
takanuva200

I already have those settings at 1, i really don't know what to do anymore heh

EDIT: Well the only times that i lag is when i had the UseFileLog on, on all 3 of them. I did it to see how often and how many it "created"... but i can't find the log -.-'

EDIT2: You should also implement a feature that says Minimum Thugs Created Per Tick, eg. if there are 3 peds atleast 1 is going to be a thug and so on(if you can ofc).

EDIT3: How do I upon the console so I can type Reloadscripts?

Last edited by takanuva200; 08-17-2010 at 10:24 AM..
Old 08-17-2010   #19
motorsport71
Teach Me Wise Ones, Leave Me Alone Stupid Ones

motorsport71 will become famous soon enoughmotorsport71 will become famous soon enoughmotorsport71 will become famous soon enoughmotorsport71 will become famous soon enoughmotorsport71 will become famous soon enoughmotorsport71 will become famous soon enough
you open the console via the ~ (tilde) above the tab key
motorsport71 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2010   #20
takanuva200

oh... i have a danish KB layout, so above the tap key on my KB is ˝. but never mind there is a log outside the game where you can see what has been loaded.. and i've got it to work right, i just erased all the ambient wars files and put in new ones. wierd?! o.O
But know it shots off my explosions... which sucks because it is more fun when you use a rocket launcher and grenades, but they don't work after a while... i think it happens when there can't be more Street Thugs/Car Crew/Mayhem things. Why i came to that conclusion is because it happens after a while and its not always, while if there are alot killed fast it works again?! And my Explosions are modded to get a bigger BOOM!!!

Last edited by takanuva200; 08-17-2010 at 05:05 PM..
Old 08-17-2010   #21
motorsport71
Teach Me Wise Ones, Leave Me Alone Stupid Ones

motorsport71 will become famous soon enoughmotorsport71 will become famous soon enoughmotorsport71 will become famous soon enoughmotorsport71 will become famous soon enoughmotorsport71 will become famous soon enoughmotorsport71 will become famous soon enough
@ takanuva200, I don't know if a modded file would hurt the way AW runs. I know, for example, if I have my GTA graphics settings to: Detail distance=70, View Distance=70, Traffic Density=75 and Shadows on as soon as i run AW everything loads slower, the Thugs, Car Crews, and the Mayhem is less active and my game runs slower. I was running my modded game last night and it runs slower than my clean install with AW, but it has 34 vehicles replaced too. AW uses a alot of resources, at least on my machine. To get the best Runs of AW i do this: GTA Graphics settings to Detail Distance=50, View Distance=50, Shadows Off all together (That takes a TON of resources in the game), and usually turn the traffic density down only if it starts giving me trouble but 75 is usually fine.

If your machine is fast you can cut the Tickrate down to spawn more Thugs more frequently. 4000 is four seconds, so maybe try 2500 which is 2.5 seconds. Turn MaxChanceStreetThugCreated to 1, and have your MaxStreetThugcanExist = MaxStreetThugsPerTick.

If you decide to change all your tickrates, say cut them in half. you don't want them to all hit at the same time from what i can tell. you can see how Ironhide has the tickrates set that they shouldn't overlap.

EDIT: If you are running other scripts try removing them and retry AW.

@ Iron,

I'm liking the idea alot. Can't wait to try it out. I would like to see which preset my little machine can handle lol.

Last edited by motorsport71; 08-17-2010 at 05:47 PM..
motorsport71 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2010   #22
Ironhide
- Ambient Wars Creator

Ironhide will become famous soon enoughIronhide will become famous soon enoughIronhide will become famous soon enoughIronhide will become famous soon enoughIronhide will become famous soon enoughIronhide will become famous soon enoughIronhide will become famous soon enough
Long day spent 6 hours in an airport and the friggin WiFi was down airport wide

Further development will be done on my Alienware laptop for quite awhile as I'm out on contract again. It's a good machine but nowhere near as powerful as that monster rig back home. But most machines aren't frankly. Anyway even on this much (relative) slower machine I see tons and tons of spawns. I won't even attempt the new Armageddon on this thing (16 crews, 16 thugs, 7 or 8 mayhem) as there is little doubt it would turn into a slide show. But the point is with the settings I gave Takanuva200 (I tested them) I see plenty of spawns. So not sure what the deal is on his machine. I don't think a graphics mod would or should have any impact on the function of AW as AW is simply looking for and using cars and peds the game has created in the world.

I do think (or certainly hope) once I can focus a few passes on performance the raw speed will improve in all areas and that will be important for everyone except the most extreme machines. I will try to confirm the latest batch of changes, including the new war presets, is working as intended and stable and once that is done and I release it I will, when time permits, focus on performance and effeciency for the next release before going forward with another batch of features.
Old 08-18-2010   #23
takanuva200

The problem is that the explosions doesn't happen eg. A car is on fire and i shoot at it till it explode, except it just go from being a car on fire, to a car wreck, the explosions doesn't happen. The missiles that you shoot with the rocket launcher doesn't go boom, they just disappear and it's the same with the grenades they just disappear out in thin air. So I thought that maybe one of you can test and see if it is my modded explosions that are the problem? here is the link: http://www.gtainside.com/en/download...nload&id=19821 oh yeah btw i've got it to work so i get total chaos now (except the explosions) It's funny when you see a bus make a drive-by XD. Also the only scripts im running are trainers .... never mind it IS the explosion mod that is making that bug....

Last edited by takanuva200; 08-18-2010 at 07:53 AM..
Old 08-18-2010   #24
Ironhide
- Ambient Wars Creator

Ok good news enjoy the chaos! I'll be pretty busy today and tomorrow on contract work but I might have time tonight to finish testing the next version that includes the War Presets option and if I do I will release it.

Also for future reference, AW uses only entities and "things" provided by the game, apart from the various files it uses as part of configuration of what and how it does those things. Mods that alter the way the game works can certainly affect AW if those mods are doing strange things and are coded weird. But AW itself doesn't, because everything it touches in the game was created by the game itself. It simply reconfigures them as necessary for it to work. So my 1st hunch would be the explosions mod you refer to (I don't know anything about it) is probably detecting if the vehicle IsRequiredForMission and if it is it leaves it alone. Well, AW sets that flag to true on everything it scoops up which passes validation, because it has too. If it doesn't do that the game will randomly take the objects back and put them somewhere else in the world, so you would see things just disappear from in front of you, and also AW wouldn't be able to work at all because it would constantly lose objects it is working on and controlling. That wouldn't be much fun
Old 08-18-2010   #25
takanuva200

Well actually it was the explosion mod that was making that bug. It had too much damage on, for some reason my game didn't like it, so now i have modded my own explosionfx and it's good it works like a charm TOTAL CHAOS XD

EDIT: oh yeah does the PedDensityBoost also boost how many cars there is?
Old 08-18-2010   #26
Ironhide
- Ambient Wars Creator

No there is a seperate CarDensity property, however AW does not currently boost that because the normal max density setting provided by the game seems pretty good. It was just the fact the game didnt provide one for peds, but that's probably because it's tied into the games overall resource and performance management.

I'll see how badly CarDensity chokes the game as an experiment.
Old 08-18-2010   #27
takanuva200

ok sound good... because all the cars get away, or they are destroyed before they are turned in too car crews -.-'
Old 08-18-2010   #28
Mr. Violence
Newbie Member

Mr. Violence is on a distinguished roadMr. Violence is on a distinguished roadMr. Violence is on a distinguished roadMr. Violence is on a distinguished road
I have a problem with AW as well.
When I start it it forces open the console and carcrews and mayhem report error something mentioning bursttires and saying method not found.
What's that about?
Mr. Violence is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2010   #29
Ironhide
- Ambient Wars Creator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Violence View Post
I have a problem with AW as well.
When I start it it forces open the console and carcrews and mayhem report error something mentioning bursttires and saying method not found.
What's that about?
AW automatically opens the console to get attention when a .NET exception that it can catch happens.

Based on what you said, the most likely cause is you are using an old version of SHDN. AW requires as listed in its requirements file, SHDN v1.7.1.6 or Later. The main reason is due to stability issues AW uncovered with earlier versions of SHDN, however it also takes immediate advantage of methods provided by SHDN v1.7.1.6+ which including the ability to burst tires and you will see that in the SHDN changelogs.

So you are seeing that exception because you are not using the latest version of SHDN, and therefore when AW makes a call to those functions, they do not exist.

Quote:
Originally Posted by takanuva200 View Post
ok sound good... because all the cars get away, or they are destroyed before they are turned in too car crews -.-'
? it's an ambient war. If you want to kill them all then you'll need to catch them and kill them

Last edited by Ironhide; 08-18-2010 at 03:33 PM.. Reason: auto-merged double post
Old 08-18-2010   #30
takanuva200

what i meant was that they didn't get turned into a Car Crew. eg. they drive away like the devil is after 'em, or they are destroyed. I have solved that problem by setting the MaxCarCrewPollRadius up to 200, so now there are Car Crews. But now another bug has arrived and that is the used cars doesn't disappear, my MaxCarCrewRetentionDistance is 300. I was at the other end of the city and they were still driving around like mad. I also have it at armageddon settings as you described earlier.