Old 06-19-2010   #1
Servalion
Newbie Member

Servalion is an unknown quantity at this point
How to properly alter Tommygun mod

First step into these forums for myself. Just wanna say that this website is like 40% of the reason I went ahead and got GTA 4 for the PC. Already have it for the PS3, but now that I've played the whole game legit, I wanna see how different I can make it.

That said, I'm pretty new at installing mods correctly. Been trying to follow guides and whatnot, but I'm still getting something wrong. I've got SparkIV, and I need to get the program for audio (unless SparkIV handles that as well. Also, I'm using 1.0.4.0 for now, since it feels like its the most compatible with the mod majority.

Its the Tommygun replacer that I've been wanting to toy with, available here at http://www.gta4-mods.com/weapons/thompson-m1a1-f4142 . Its a replacer for the AK47 in the game, but I'd rather have it replace the MP5, technically being an SMG and all. Before I go ahead and try screwing my game up, there's some things I'm wondering about it.

1. Is it possible with the included .wdr, .wtd, and anim file included?
2. Will the game accept an MP5 replacement that uses Rifle (Two-handed) anims?
3. If yes to #2, can it still be fired from a moving vehicle?

Sorry if these are total newbie questions, but I just wanted to know what would and wouldn't be possible before I try anything extensive, since I haven't actually installed any mod properly yet. Also, if it means anything, I planned on using the Drum Mag version to balance out the SMGs, since I have my own weapon info plans for the Micro Uzi and the others. Also, this is for personal use, I'm not stupid enough to re-release someone else's hard work.

Last edited by Servalion; 06-21-2010 at 06:59 PM..
Servalion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2010   #2
Servalion
Newbie Member

Servalion is an unknown quantity at this point
Well, never mind, I managed to do it myself. Guess a little bit of trial and error taught me a lot. Tommygun skin & sound is working perfectly as an MP5 replacement.

Only one issue remains - the MP5 still fires at its normal rate, while the AK47 is still firing at the faster rate intended for the Tommygun. I'm trying to switch the two, but altering the Weapon Info seems to have no impact on fire rate so far (although everything else seems to depend on it.) so what truly determines weapon firing rate? Is it imbedded into the model file or something? That makes as much sense as it being in the Texture file, but I'm running out of ideas.

EDIT: Bah, well, I finally fixed that issue too. Funny how time seems to solve everything, eh? However, I did notice that firing the gun from a moving vehicle is much slower than usual, even slower than the vanilla rate. Still figuring out what determines that and if it can be changed.

Last edited by Servalion; 06-26-2010 at 06:16 PM..
Servalion is offline   Reply With Quote