Old 07-13-2009   #1
Slapdown

Slapdown is an unknown quantity at this point
Video Editor Camera Extension?

Would it be possible to mod the length of how far the free camera can go? I'm filming something for a video and this would make it easier for me to do scenes that would otherwise need actors.
Slapdown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2009   #2
rappo
Professional Dumbass

rappo is a God.rappo is a God.rappo is a God.rappo is a God.rappo is a God.rappo is a God.rappo is a God.rappo is a God.rappo is a God.rappo is a God.rappo is a God.
I don't think this is possible and I'll explain why: the video editor works by storing references to every single model/texture that is in view at each frame of the game. When you go into the video editor it loads up all these models depending on where you are in the timeline. It only loads enough so that you can zoom out a certain distance. Changing that, if it's even possible, would probably require a lot more memory and would maybe even put a huge strain on the game (I'm guessing Rockstar already put it at a high limit).

But who knows maybe you have the memory to handle it Just letting you know why it's capped at that, and that there for sure isn't already a mod to extend the zoom - not even sure if it's possible.
Old 07-14-2009   #3
Slapdown

Hmmm, so would it be possible to create just a camera hack like there was in SA?
Old 07-14-2009   #4
rappo
Professional Dumbass

rappo is a God.rappo is a God.rappo is a God.rappo is a God.rappo is a God.rappo is a God.rappo is a God.rappo is a God.rappo is a God.rappo is a God.rappo is a God.
I'm not sure, actually - I can try it out tonight. I know it's possible to control the position of the camera using ASI scripts, but what I'm afraid of is that GTA IV won't load models just because the camera is there, it might actually wait for Niko to go to a certain spot before loading models for the draw distance. I'll see what happens though, and let you know later tonight.
Old 07-14-2009   #5
Slapdown

Okay, thanks I appreciate it.

Last edited by Slapdown; 07-14-2009 at 09:42 PM..
Old 07-15-2009   #6
rappo
Professional Dumbass

So I took a shot at this and pretty much got nothing I must be rusty or something - it was tougher than I thought! I'll keep on trying since it's something I'd like to have too, but I'm not sure when I'll have anything to report!
Old 07-16-2009   #7
phexitol
Ant Fart Video Thug

phexitol will become famous soon enoughphexitol will become famous soon enoughphexitol will become famous soon enoughphexitol will become famous soon enoughphexitol will become famous soon enoughphexitol will become famous soon enoughphexitol will become famous soon enough
I'm fairly certain that Niko needs to be somewhat close to the camera, based on the fact that in a couple of missions I've teleported far away during cutscenes, and gotten the camera stuck in place, at which point objects start to vanish or reduce LOD, and textures go blurry.

OTOH, it should work quite well if Niko is within a block or so of your camera location.
phexitol is offline   Reply With Quote