Go Back   GTAGaming Forums > Grand Theft Auto > Grand Theft Auto IV > Troubleshooting & Technology
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Old 07-12-2009   #1
fluxtras
Newbie Member

fluxtras is an unknown quantity at this point
Fixing the GTAIV stability of framerate with a quadcore CPU

Hi there,

I found a personal fix to make the framerate more stable in the game.

I have an Intel Q6600 cpu running at 3,2Ghz (FSB at about 355 so the multiplier still goes to 9).

I found out that after some time.. the game framerate became unstable. I tried some things, but this last effort seems to work for me.

I put the standard affinity on 3 cores, the last 3 (not the first). And put the priority above normal. It is quite hard to figure out how to do this with a commandline, so I use the program Process Lasso. It even has Gaming Mode .

It used to be core1 90% load and core 2,3,4 at about 55-65%...
Now i have core 2,3,4 at about 85-90% continuous load (core1 disabled for the game). It seemed that core1 was bottlenecking the entire game, especially stability. Now my GPU-load is a bit higher and the CPU is more equally stressed (minus core1 of course).

Greetings and good luck getting more stability,

fluxtras

P.S.
If you have a second monitor.. try running the Sensors-tab in GPU-z for your vid.card (or more GPU-z if you have more than one vid.card) and open up the tab Performance in Task Manager and see your cores fight out the load with 4 and 3 cores.

Remember.. Process Lasso (it is free for the first 14 days). Hmm.. just found out it only works without nagging messages for 14 days. After that you get to wait and click OK. Pity... It works pretty good..

note: I already had a stable FPS with my graphics settings adjusted (below VGA.Ram limit) with 4 cores for the BEGINNING of the game.

Just to put my own stuff back up top.

Quote:
Originally Posted by fluxtras View Post
Yeah, i found alt tabbing working a bit too. However process lasso does a far better working solution for the stability. I found putting it to 3 cores at the start of the game and then switching back to 4 by alt tabbing to process lasso brought the workload more stability to the 4 cores. So in the end you have aproper 4 core functioning game.

Btw i got my fsb @400 now and the multiplier back to 8. Little voltage boost and the ram more in sync to fsb compared to 355 fsb.

Greetings

Last edited by fluxtras; 07-14-2009 at 10:36 AM.. Reason: Addition
fluxtras is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2009   #2
Piggus
Wicked Member

Piggus has a reputation beyond reputePiggus has a reputation beyond reputePiggus has a reputation beyond reputePiggus has a reputation beyond reputePiggus has a reputation beyond reputePiggus has a reputation beyond reputePiggus has a reputation beyond reputePiggus has a reputation beyond reputePiggus has a reputation beyond reputePiggus has a reputation beyond reputePiggus has a reputation beyond repute
Thanks! I have the exact same CPU and overclock as you and was having problems after the latest patch. I'll give this a try. Another temporary fix that worked for me was to simply alt-tab out and then back in again. The framerate issue comes back after about 5 or 10 minutes though.

Core i5 2500K @ 4.8 GHz || 16 GBs 1600 MHz DDR3 || Sapphire Radeon HD 7970 || Dual 128 GB SSDs
Piggus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2009   #3
fluxtras
Newbie Member

Quadcore alt tabbing

Yeah, i found alt tabbing working a bit too. However process lasso does a far better working solution for the stability. I found putting it to 3 cores at the start of the game and then switching back to 4 by alt tabbing to process lasso brought the workload more stability to the 4 cores. So in the end you have aproper 4 core functioning game.

Btw i got my fsb @400 now and the multiplier back to 8. Little voltage boost and the ram more in sync to fsb compared to 355 fsb.

Greetings
Old 07-30-2009   #4
thenotsogoodtrickster
late on the feels
Loyal Member

thenotsogoodtrickster is a splendid one to beholdthenotsogoodtrickster is a splendid one to beholdthenotsogoodtrickster is a splendid one to beholdthenotsogoodtrickster is a splendid one to beholdthenotsogoodtrickster is a splendid one to beholdthenotsogoodtrickster is a splendid one to beholdthenotsogoodtrickster is a splendid one to beholdthenotsogoodtrickster is a splendid one to beholdthenotsogoodtrickster is a splendid one to beholdthenotsogoodtrickster is a splendid one to beholdthenotsogoodtrickster is a splendid one to behold
This is great as I was going to get a quad core for GTA IV mainly and for any upcoming games, I'm hoping I can do the same sort of thing on my dual core, but a rough guess would tell me no lol
Old 08-09-2009   #5
vivec

vivec is on a distinguished roadvivec is on a distinguished roadvivec is on a distinguished roadvivec is on a distinguished road
Wow, interesting. I also have that unstable framerate problem after playing for some time. THanks, i'll try it and i'll let you know how it turns out later.

Edit:
HOly CRAP!!! IT WORKS!! Omg, thank you soo much. This software is a must buy for me

Last edited by vivec; 08-09-2009 at 04:17 AM.. Reason: auto-merged double post
vivec is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2009   #6
CB
"Your stupidity may be your one saving grace."

CB has a spectacular aura aboutCB has a spectacular aura aboutCB has a spectacular aura aboutCB has a spectacular aura aboutCB has a spectacular aura aboutCB has a spectacular aura aboutCB has a spectacular aura aboutCB has a spectacular aura aboutCB has a spectacular aura aboutCB has a spectacular aura aboutCB has a spectacular aura about
All this money you spend on a rig. You could have bought a PS3 and a 360 and had no problems whatsoever.

CB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2009   #7
ZCAB
Whipping Post

ZCAB has a reputation beyond reputeZCAB has a reputation beyond reputeZCAB has a reputation beyond reputeZCAB has a reputation beyond reputeZCAB has a reputation beyond reputeZCAB has a reputation beyond reputeZCAB has a reputation beyond reputeZCAB has a reputation beyond reputeZCAB has a reputation beyond reputeZCAB has a reputation beyond reputeZCAB has a reputation beyond repute
Stay on topic.
ZCAB is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2009   #8
fluxtras
Newbie Member

offtopic reply

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChandlerBing View Post
All this money you spend on a rig. You could have bought a PS3 and a 360 and had no problems whatsoever.
Hmm... I played on a PS3 and XBOX360... They suck.. Especially in MPlayer with no mouse and the stupid auto-aim... And the framerate also drops on those consoles, compared to my wonderful rig. Those lame consoles only pull about 24fps or so, my rig normally (if stable) pulls 40+ on average, it is much nicer to watch. Also, the texture def. is higher on the PC. On the consoles it is set to LOW... With my vid.card it is set to MEDIUM, which is much nicer to look at (HIGH is too much for my 512mb vid.ram).

You just keep dwiddleling around with your crappy console, while I rule the internet with mouse and keyboard.

Rockstar should fix the original problem of stability though, crappy programmers/porters. Cya.
Old 11-06-2009   #9
Phil
"When in doubt, C4"

Phil is a glorious beacon of lightPhil is a glorious beacon of lightPhil is a glorious beacon of lightPhil is a glorious beacon of lightPhil is a glorious beacon of lightPhil is a glorious beacon of lightPhil is a glorious beacon of lightPhil is a glorious beacon of lightPhil is a glorious beacon of lightPhil is a glorious beacon of lightPhil is a glorious beacon of light
Quote:
Originally Posted by thenotsogoodtrickster View Post
This is great as I was going to get a quad core for GTA IV mainly and for any upcoming games, I'm hoping I can do the same sort of thing on my dual core, but a rough guess would tell me no lol
Well.. if you're gonna get a quadcore anyway, save yourself the time (not wallet friendly though) and get an i7 920.. you wont be having ANY problems running GTA IV with that! trust me..

Phil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2010   #10
bdanley
Newbie Member

bdanley is an unknown quantity at this point
I'm trying the process lasso trick right now, but still having problems. I haven't yet played the game with above normal priority but I did try it in gaming mode with the cpu afinity set for 1;2;3 and it played fine for about two minutes then crashed with a fatal error that said I had to reboot the computer. When I set the cpu afinity for 0;1;2 the graphics seem to have problems or it still locks up.
I'm running a Quad Core at 2.67 Gz 3G ram the video card is a Radeon 4650 1 G and, XP if that makes a difference.
Any thoughts?
bdanley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2010   #11
UnknownEpidemic
Worldwide Pandemic

UnknownEpidemic is an unknown quantity at this point
Great find fluxtras! I'll try it myself but I'm not the most savvy person when it comes to this kind of stuff. What would you reccommend for someone with an Intel Core 2 Quad Q9400 2.66GHz?

Sir Unknown III, at your cervix.

Last edited by UnknownEpidemic; 11-03-2010 at 04:16 PM.. Reason: auto-merged double post
UnknownEpidemic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2012   #12
kitoxx
Mod Hound
Newbie Member

kitoxx is an unknown quantity at this point
Talking lollery

Quote:
Originally Posted by CB View Post

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^LOL Most "rigs" are worth more and perform better than your 360 and PS3 combined .....funny to think there are those still ignorant enough to compare console and PC......apples and oranges.
kitoxx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2012   #13
Batmans33
Newbie Member

Batmans33 is an unknown quantity at this point
Question Help please,Im running 3.3 ghz i7 12 gig ram gtx280m

Quote:
Originally Posted by Piggus View Post
Thanks! I have the exact same CPU and overclock as you and was having problems after the latest patch. I'll give this a try. Another temporary fix that worked for me was to simply alt-tab out and then back in again. The framerate issue comes back after about 5 or 10 minutes though.
hi there ,Im running 3.3 ghz i7 12 gig ram gtx280m,I have the same problem as you,If I alt tab out then the game speeds up for a few minuits,then lags,ive tried loads of stuff command lines ect,did you fix this problem?If so how?

Quote:
Originally Posted by vivec View Post
Wow, interesting. I also have that unstable framerate problem after playing for some time. THanks, i'll try it and i'll let you know how it turns out later.

Edit:
HOly CRAP!!! IT WORKS!! Omg, thank you soo much. This software is a must buy for me
Hi Ive bought lasso just for this game,how do i fix cores?

Quote:
Originally Posted by vivec View Post

Edit:
Hi Ive bought lasso just for this game,how do i switch cores?

Last edited by Batmans33; 08-24-2012 at 09:24 AM.. Reason: auto-merged double post
Batmans33 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2014   #14
gtamchaos
Newbie Member

gtamchaos is an unknown quantity at this point
Setting the affinity is a nice workaround, but I think this is more actually a hardware specific problem. Anyway, thank you.
gtamchaos is offline   Reply With Quote